Should spiderman be able to regenerate body parts?

#1 Posted by Bezza (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand spiders can grow back limbs and other body parts, so am wondering why the Amazing Spiderman hasn't done this in any of his stories. If anyone should have a healing factor it should be him!

#2 Edited by clonesaga2099 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza

They won't do that because a lot of people don't know that, and he'll be accused of ripping off Wolverine and Deadpool. If they gave Spider-Man a regenerative power, it could end up like Wolverine: getting completely out of control.

#3 Edited by Webhead_99 (555 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes the character too OP to genuinely care about his safety. Dodging practically every lethal hit thrown at him and recovering from severed limbs/organs?

That being said though his "rapid healing" works for me, given people who break multiple bones and sustain heavy injuries regularly wouldn't go unnoticed by their family/friends.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
#4 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6730 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe that's only certain breeds of spider, and not the kind he was bitten by.

#5 Posted by SoA (6246 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't he grow his eye back back in the other? i know kaine did something similar in his book , if he suffered heavy damage he would be cocooned and healed up . given he became a bloodthirsty monster for a bit but something close to that extent would be ok i guess. but nothing like deadpool or wolverine where he just waits a few minute and his limbs are grown back .

#6 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

@soa: Not exactly the same thing compared to the "Other". I don't think that every time Peter or Kaine could heal up like this. The gifts of the "Other" are offered once in a lifetime to a Spider-person (or at least that's what I think, after reading Stracz. and Yost's relative comic books).

#7 Posted by SheenLantern (7619 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for thetimestreamer
#8 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

the movie is bad enough without limbs flying around.

#9 Edited by Black_Katana (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know... growing back limbs? I think it depends on what species of spider, then again he is radioactive. Personally, I like that he can't. Makes him more human in a sense, no need to complicate things with him having an almost immortality factor.

#10 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: That's a good question, but the answer is probably no, cause the "Other" has chosen Kaine, who seems to be a better "host" for that "creature" (Scarlet Spider 13 - 15). Nevertheless, we're talking about comic book stories, anything can happen again and again and again.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
#11 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (7222 posts) - - Show Bio

His costume already reminds me a little of Deadpool. Imagine what the healing factor would do...Though it does make sense.

#12 Posted by GeekyLord13 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

He does have a healing factor, yes. But I wouldn't say it's to the point where he can regrow limbs. It has shown to have limits. Although these healing powers of his allows him to rapidly recover from a SHITTON of bee stings in a few hours, healed from blindness in only 24 hours, and had his arm broken in which it mended back to full health in only a single night. There was even a time where he took a fall from orbit, a blast from the Zodiac Key, and being crushed by a car, and was back at full vigor in a few hours.

#13 Posted by FromAPOV (104 posts) - - Show Bio

The only way I could see Spider-Man, being able to regenerate his limbs or maybe his organs, is if he was bonded with Venom on the same level like Carnage, through bonding with Spidey's blood and body becoming essentially two beings/one being in one body.

#14 Posted by Psy4 (325 posts) - - Show Bio

He does have a healing factor, yes. But I wouldn't say it's to the point where he can regrow limbs. It has shown to have limits. Although these healing powers of his allows him to rapidly recover from a SHITTON of bee stings in a few hours, healed from blindness in only 24 hours, and had his arm broken in which it mended back to full health in only a single night. There was even a time where he took a fall from orbit, a blast from the Zodiac Key, and being crushed by a car, and was back at full vigor in a few hours.

Exactly his own healing factor is good enough (actually fantastic) as it is. Immortality is not his stick, he needs to be the dodgy, jumpy guy.

#15 Posted by GeekyLord13 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

@psy4: I believe I remember a comic (albeit noncanon) where Peter lived long enough to see his great grandson, so his healing factor also gives him superhuman longevity, although I wouldn't say he can't die from old age, but he should surpass 100 years (the lifespan for a regular person).

#16 Posted by Psy4 (325 posts) - - Show Bio

@geekylord13: That is perfectly fine yeah. Enhanced vitality and longevity wouldn't surprised me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.