Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 16307 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Should Spider-Man have kids?

• 105 results
    ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should Spider-Man have kids? (77 votes)

Yes! 70%
    No! 30%

After my last pol asking about the marriage, it looks like a larger amount of people want MJ and Peter back together with the wedding bands on...so let's go to the next big question, do you think Peter Parker should have a child?

We've seen lives of Peter having children in some of the alternate universes and quite a few of these series have been popular, most notably Spider-Girl. It's slightly canonicaly hinted at that Peter's first born will be a girl that will have 'May' somewhere in the name, yet whenever he is close to having a child, its quickly snatched from him.

Do you think he should have a kid or none at all? Don't forget to explain your thoughts instead of just a 'Yes' or 'No'. In fact, if you think yes, go tell us your ideal stories. Lets get creative here!

• 
    Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, its part of character development.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 94

Yes!!

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How else would Mayday be born?

And not the fake Mayday from Spider-Verse, I'm talking about the real deal.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's worked tremendously well in other universes, and it was'nt as if Peter stayed retired in MC2 either as he did go back to web-swinging several times in the Spider-Girl series, and of course he was in prime condition during Renew Your Vows as Annie May was introduced to his sort of world.

That said, Child heroes often run a great risk of not being written well, because the people who author them either have no idea how to write the way a child speaks or acts. I mean, Damien Wayne works very well, but he has a unique upbringing that makes him more mature than his years let on. Even though I love what DC are doing with Superman and his son, I just hope Jurgens and Tomasi can manage to keep Jon from becoming irritable. I did have problems with how Slott portrayed Annie May, where as I have minimal problem with Mayday purely on the fact DeFalco waited until she was a young adult to activate her powers and set her off on her course, at an age where kids are taking life a bit more seriously.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would give Spiderman 2 daughters but with 2 different mothers. 1 with Mary Jane and 1 with Black Cat. The story would be about Peter connecting with both kids and both half sisters connecting with each other.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    Life_Without_Progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By The_Waffle

He is destined to have kids down the line. After marriage. it's only natural progression.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, kids just add more vulnerability. i would be kool with it is the kid was like the one in renew your vows.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: said

"It's worked tremendously well in other universes, and it was'nt as if Peter stayed retired in MC2 either as he did go back to web-swinging several times in the Spider-Girl series, and of course he was in prime condition during Renew Your Vows as Annie May was introduced to his sort of world.

That said, Child heroes often run a great risk of not being written well, because the people who author them either have no idea how to write the way a child speaks or acts. I mean, Damien Wayne works very well, but he has a unique upbringing that makes him more mature than his years let on. Even though I love what DC are doing with Superman and his son, I just hope Jurgens and Tomasi can manage to keep Jon from becoming irritable. I did have problems with how Slott portrayed Annie May, where as I have minimal problem with Mayday purely on the fact DeFalco waited until she was a young adult to activate her powers and set her off on her course, at an age where kids are taking life a bit more seriously."

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Definitely Mayday, but not Annie May. I kinda felt that Annie May was poorly written in much the same way as RYV seemed to be a tokenistic gesture by Slott.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZariusII

@christianrapper said:

no, kids just add more vulnerability.

That's a good thing if you want genuine compelling drama.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By knightwriteri

@catty_spider1: I'm with you on Peter having a daughter from both MJ's daughter would be Mayday of course, Felicia's daughter would be older conceived before Peter's marriage Felicia became aware of the pregnancy after she and Peter broke up and gave the child away for adoption fearing her bad luck powers would kill her daughter. Fearing she probably couldn't resist stealing little Felicity back she made the hard choice of having her memory of the precious product of her and Peter's love erased. In the present the mental block has worn down and she tells Peter resulting in a quest to find Mayday's older half sister.

Benjy'd be born too but after several years of stories and Reilly Tyne would appear at some point.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think a daughter with Mary Jane like he had in renew your vows would be amazing.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

NO!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO!

Respect the thread and explain why. One word answers are just spam.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: There is nothing to answer. One More Day proved that Marvel wants Peter not to be married.Having kids is even bigger thing which would totally change core of the character.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clonesaga2099

@friv:Absolutely agree. Mayday is the best Spider-Girl and she's even got the best costume to prove it!

@krleavenger: You're right, and that blows. Reed Richards and Sue Storm can be married and have kids and stuff, but heaven forbid Spider-Man advance beyond the permanently in doubt nerd with no money. Honestly, he won't even be able to keep Dr. Octopus's business by being as much of a manchild as Marvel wants? He's gonna blow it, and nobody will be surprised. Marvel won't give us these stories.

@itsaworld I would love for Spider-Man to have a kid though, one Mayday Parker would be very cool. However, Marvel won't give it to us, and Slott hates the idea of the marriage and he wants Spider-Man to be the "Charlie Brown" of Marvel. Current-Peter would not be a very good father and I feel bad that any kid would have to call HIM father.

@christianrapper Not right now though! He's a CEO he can have a million bodyguards and a super special bunker to protect his kids who would end up as special and cool as Silk!

@life_without_progress said:
    @BappyRonChantin said:
    @cgoodness said:

Agree on that.

@zariusii: It takes a certain kind of writer to make it good, and currently Marvel doesn't wanna talk about that. It's a shame, but at least we can read these other stories in the MC2 and stuff.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. It's his history.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

Yes. It's his history.

you mean peter's history? spiderman has never had kids before.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By knightwriteri

@krleavenger: The core of the character is responsibility the more responsibilities you give Peter like marriage and children for example the better. Also Aunt May had repeatedly stated in the narrative that there is no greater responsibility than raising a child.

Tom DeFalco argues making Peter being a father is the single most logical thing a writer could do with the character.

Finally how dare anyone whine about the possibility of Peter as a father in an ongoing series readers suffered through the Clone Saga with baby May being dangled in front of them as the explicit payoff for that incredibly dark not to mention expensive 100+ issue arc and Marvel denied us those stories even though they had the baby survive Revelations (where Mayday is now or if she even exist in the mephistoverse is a complete mystery) That's 20 YEARS of stories of Peter as a father we were owed and denied. To put that into perspective I'm 21 it doesn't make me feel good knowing that RYV like stories should have been in continuous publication since I was in diapers but were forbidden by selfish morons.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since we now have Miles as the highschool Spider-Man who will forever remain young, it only makes sense to end Peters suffering of non-progressive character development. Give him back Mary Jane and finally give birth to MayDay.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

Yes. It's his history.

Peter Parker = Spiderman. First One.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimishim12

No, it never worked because Peter was still a middle class down of his luck beta male who barely kept his superhero life affairs out of his families and nearly got his family killed for it.

Only works if Peter keeps Parker Industries(Peter has a wife and child yet is rich enough to maintain a stable and highly protective life for them that can be logical) or he retires from superheroism altogether.

Having a kid and still the same middle class working with down on his luck consequences with his hero life conflicting with his personal life plus his villians still popping up to threaten the family while blatantly being a target for their suffering is the stupidest way you can make a plot with a superhero if not outright depressing.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By christianrapper

@rubear said:
    said:r said:

Yes. It's his history.

when has 616 peter has kids? he never has. spiderman has only had a child in mc2.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

Yes. It's his history.

when has 616 peter has kids?

Relearn his history before One More Day and in some futures.

warrior100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Catty_Spider1

@knightwriteri: I agree with Peters daughter being Mayday but I would have her as the older wiser sister.

She like many kids would have to deal with her father not being perfect (never easy for teens) and being with other women etc, as well as a younger more angry (but ultimately good) half sister.

Peter would be single but having to deal with both relationships with both kids as well as with the mothers.

That's just my idea though and it's not like Iv taken it to Stan Lee and Marvel and tried to say get them to run with it.

One of the things I loved about Spiderman originally is that they progressed Peter. It would have been very easy to keep him as a school student for life and some like Ditko wanted it that way. They didn't, they aged him and he went to college etc. Kids and dealing with old relationships is the next step in jmo

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody wants trival sitcom drama in a Superhero series, it why people hate Bendis Avengers and the new Xmen.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
    said:
    @rubear said:

Yes. It's his history.

when has 616 peter has kids?

Relearn his history before One More Day and in some futures.

there is nothing to relearn. peter never had kids.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if peter has kids with anyone it should be with storm. that would put 2 of my favorite characters together.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12:

The craft of storytelling eludes you.

Nobody wants bland nonsensical stories with no substance and plausibility in a superhero series. Drama is but one component used by writers to tell great stories.

There isn't anything trivial about dealing with adult responsibilities, unless you're dealing with an immature man-child. It's why people detest Slott's sloppy writing.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes, it would add a new element to Spider-Man's mythos, plus I think Peter would make a great dad. I also think it would be a cool concept if Peter had two kids with two different women, a daughter with MJ and a son with Felicia.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is funny. what purpose could spiderman having children serve? from what i have seen kids have hurt the stories more than helped. they are just something the bad guys can use to hurt the heroes. they always have to be saved or are destined to be powerful, but the kids never grow up so all the destined power never matters. the kids are just nerfed inferior copies of the original heroes. i am glad that spidey never had a kid. who wants to read a whole comic about spiderman looking for a baby sitter?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Goku had Gohan and the series progressed even more with him in tow.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By dernman

Not unless you're ok with them getting erased when they do a roleback on the life of Spider-Man. Lets be honest here in mainstream comics they only go so far with their progression before they roleback to an earlier age. You're not going to see oldman Spider-Man with grandkids or him retire. They're not going to let them stay at a older age. He's always going to a viable age. They play the illusion of progression game.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By christianrapper

@itsaworld said:

@christianrapper: Goku had Gohan and the series progressed even more with him in tow.

yeah, they had whole episodes of them just staring at their enemy and not fighting and talking...that's not progressing at all. that's going backwards.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: I dunno man. I think they tend to blow up stuff in every episode. It just takes them forever to kill the big baddie.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Having kids never hurt the Fantastic Four stories.

The Marvel Universe was originally conceived as the world outside your window. It would a very sad world if super heroes just copulated for the fun of it, without bearring any personal responsibilities, without showing any flaws as part of their human nature or the repercussions of everyday life.

If super hero comics were just silly WWF style fights between super heroes and villains without a slice of realism attached, then comic books would indeed be a very boring medium. In fact, ASM has become to me just that - extremely off in wacky land and boring.

Marvel boast about diversity but they discriminate against marriage and kids in their stories. That's very narrow minded and hypocritical to say the least.

If only they were able to hire decent professional writers who have had broad life experiences, can we move away from this fallacious notion. Life grants us many experiences and there is no justifiable reason to omit that from the dramatic adventures of super heroes.

Rob Collier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They had Luke Cage marry Jewel and have a bouncing bundle of joy, then there's Franklin Richards, Spider-Woman has recently given birth, I'm sure Tigra has that toddler from that time she and Hank Pym did the tango, etc. If these people can have kids, why not Spidey? It's been handled well in MC2 and other alternate universes, why not give it a try in the 616/Marvel-Prime publication? If you give Vision his own family, but not your company mascot, that's the sign y'all just don't freaking care. I'm getting the filling the writers are pushing Miles and Kamala in recent stories! It's ridiculous.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Wasnt thinking of a sitcom. They have no progression and are a lot like a lot of comics where you can watch in any order and it doesn't make a difference. That's why I preferred Spiderman because it was different in that regard.

Also Nobody! If you managed to poll every single Spiderman fan world wide, in the few hours since I posted that, then I'm impressed.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They had Luke Cage marry Jewel and have a bouncing bundle of joy, then there's Franklin Richards, Spider-Woman has recently given birth, I'm sure Tigra has that toddler from that time she and Hank Pym did the tango, etc. If these people can have kids, why not Spidey? It's been handled well in MC2 and other alternate universes, why not give it a try in the 616/Marvel-Prime publication? If you give Vision his own family, but not your company mascot, that's the sign y'all just don't freaking care. I'm getting the filling the writers are pushing Miles and Kamala in recent stories! It's ridiculous.

they have done nothing with those kids, though. they are just there.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes, it would add a new element to Spider-Man's mythos, plus I think Peter would make a great dad. I also think it would be a cool concept if Peter had two kids with two different women, a daughter with MJ and a son with Felicia.

Marvel made Jessica Drew into a mom[unless Peter Parker is the father] with no development whatsoever. Look how that turned out. I would rather see Peter(616) alternate timeline counterparts have children who could crossover to the regular timeline, like Galina Tsarfin, whose the daughter of Spider-Man & Black Widow, or a child whose related to Spider-Man & Black Cat. We have seen both of them appear, as well as the child related to Spider-Man & British Psylocke(non Asian; Betsy Braddock in her original body[non mind switch])....

On the normal side of things, it would be rather interesting to see a child whose the daughter of Peter Parker & Betty Brant, or a child related to Peter Parker & Jennifer Walters(who never became The She-Hulk)

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By blackspidey2099

No. It would be very irresponsible of Spidey to do so.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Having kids never hurt the Fantastic Four stories.

The Marvel Universe was originally conceived as the world outside your window. It would a very sad world if super heroes just copulated for the fun of it, without bearring any personal responsibilities, without showing any flaws as part of their human nature or the repercussions of everyday life.

If super hero comics were just silly WWF style fights between super heroes and villains without a slice of realism attached, then comic books would indeed be a very boring medium. In fact, ASM has become to me just that - extremely off in wacky land and boring.

Marvel boast about diversity but they discriminate against marriage and kids in their stories. That's very narrow minded and hypocritical to say the least.

If only they were able to hire decent professional writers who have had broad life experiences, can we move away from this fallacious notion. Life grants us many experiences and there is no justifiable reason to omit that from the dramatic adventures of super heroes.

FF stories are outlandish Science Fantasy epics, Spider-Man is a realistic slice of life action series. FF stories have to be ridiculous in scope to justify their extremely capable children on a team of scientists and family members against cosmic horrors and all sorts of alien trancendents, Spider-Man stories like I said are root in tragic karma for the main character in a small scale of city to street crime and the occasional superpowered meanced on said city scale trying to maintain order for a temporary time all the while mixing soap opera angst with more of Peter becoming more burdened by life.

Spider-Man literally has to go into another level of comic convention to justify having a wife and child and keep being a superhero because so far there is no such believeable concept to exist in my eyes that can pull it off with the normal Spider-Man type stories he's known for, every story had a twist to have Parker maintain a legitmate family life instead of playing it straight with his status quo concept.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12:

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four inhabit the same Marvel universe.

Both have elements of fantastic and amazing science fiction based stories

What is your point?

Slice of life realism applies to any genre.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.