Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Should I pickup Silk and Spider Gwen?

Rebelpunk13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rebelpunk13

Sup bros and bras.. I'm on the fence whether to pick up Silk and Spider Gwen. I'm hearing good reviews but never followed a female Solo title or had any real interest (no offense to the ladies). I do respect the women of Marvel comics though, Kitty Pride is one of my fav X-Men lol. Are they mini series? Will they continue after Secret Wars?

My current Pull list for Marvel is Magneto, Uncanny XMen, Punisher, Spider-man & the X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Hulk, Star Wars, Fantastic 4, and Darth Vader

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

with only one issue out all i can say is that they are generic super hero comics. if there will be something special about these books i dont know yet. though imo the art is great for both.

something that could be interesting in Spider Gwen is that Captain Stacy along with the other Captain on the police force could provide a focus of the crime in the city and not just generic villain stories.

i dont know what Silk's focus will be either. the first issue makes it seem like finding her family will be the main ongoing problem along with Black Cat's growing criminal organization. It could be interesting, but it's hard to tell so soon.

id say, if money isnt tight, get them both. they have potential, but arent all that original so far

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Gwen is terrible.

Silk is a stand-out

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Spider-Gwen yes

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

Spider-Gwen is terrible.

No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Gwen - ABSOLUTELY. It's an amazing series after only TWO issues! So perfect.

Silk - Possibly. Why not? I have issue 1 but haven't read it yet. It seems fun though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Spider-Gwen's first issue was awesome. I am not interested in Silk however and I cannot share my opinion with you on the book.

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. They're both fun to read. Nice to see Silk not being written by Slott.

And Spider-Gwen is beyond awesome, it's really fun and you should read it. :)

Finally more Spider material, and they're Spider-Ladies!

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Both Spider Ladies were homerun for Marvel and the Spider-Verse. Yes go for it dude!

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider gwen yes

Silk needs ti die though

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Read 1st issues of botha dn decide if you want to keep reading.

~MiB

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Spider-Gwen is a definite yes. It has an Ultimate comics vibe to it which is nice and the art is absolutely stunning. The dialogue was great and the concepts presented are very intriguing. I highly recommend this book.

Silk isn't too bad. I absolutely hated the character and my expectations for her issue 1 were set VERY low, but I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it. It's not the greatest comic and to be honest I don't care if I ever get the chance to read the next issue, but if I wind up buying it I don't think I'll regret doing so.

If you have the money I would say just buy them both, but if you can only buy one then definitely get Spider-Gwen.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zarius said:

Spider-Gwen Silk is terrible alright.

Silk Spider-Gwen is a stand-out.

Fixed.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Gwen yes, Silk no.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silk is "Ok". I'm just going to leave it at that.

Spider Gwen on the other hand is an amazing read and definitely worth it. Just look at the creative influence on it.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be happy and satisfied and pick up Spider-Gwen friend! lol But seriously the issue was pretty solid and a lot of fun, definitely worth checking out.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zarius

After reading Issue Two, I maintain my opinion

Spider-Gwen is overrated trash. The only likeable character is Matt...and he's a bad guy. How does that work?

And yes, I'm being dead serious. I'm also thankfully not alone in many corners of the internet. What are you going to do about it other than try to "fix" my posts again because you're butt-hurt someone has critical faculties and has an opposing opinion?

Looking forward to Silk. I know it stands piss all chance of longevity, but at least it's TRYING.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I only bought Silk, It was okay.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both books are good, but it seems to me that silk is more oriented to a female audience, not that i mind so was x-23 and i liked that book.

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sgu823
    TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Gwen is good, silk I don't recommend.

Spider gwen, yes

Silk needs to die though

Facts.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ItsaWorld

Spider-Gwen is a yes as it depicts a brand new world and a reinvention of a character that was blander than bland oatmeal...and then was revamped into cheating on her boyfriend and getting pregant....

anywhooooo. Spider-Gwen creates it's own individual spin on things within the Marvel world within a realm that is nostalgic yet foreign to the readers. Granting a new view on this tale, it thrusts you into a spider-man realm with an all new cast and life. It does a grand job at creating it's own spin on classic heroes, villains and supporting cast. Where else can you go where Frank Castle is an upstanding cop while Matt Murdock is a crime lord? It's a great read if you are interested in an alternative take on Spider-Man from someone that isn't Peter Parker.

As for silk....meeeh? I never liked her. Way too mary sue when she appeared and everything had to revolve around her. Though I hear her present comics have fixed much of her problems, she still has the same very poorly created origin that just kills the creativity. Things about her origin just don't sit well with me and cause me to complain more than anything. She appeared, came, and just left to do her own thing yet I hear that it goes everywhere.

In character concept, no, don't read silk. She is probably as annoying as that 3rd Spider-Woman....ya know the one...the one who kinda was part of Peter's kid's death and made out with him while he was mourning the loss over the apparent death of Mary Jane...not the best character on the planet. Silk seems to be more like they grabbed elements they thought would make her stand out but thats all they did. They never mixed it properly enough. She angers me more than anything. But that could be because of Slott. Still, if her origins were different, i would probably be able to read her for longer

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZariusII

@watcher5000 said:

Spider-Gwen is good, silk I don't recommend.

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2 said:

Spider gwen, yes

Silk needs to die though

Facts.

And technically Silk, the book, is dead...so the dream partially comes true.

I kind of liked the book, but the damage control came too little, too late for Cindy after her disastrous introduction by Slott, and once it became clear the book wasn't going to redeem Felicia and they proceeded to write her out as a supporting character, I think the fans reading simply lost interest.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read either character much more as of yet, but I found Spider-Gwen more interesting.

Silk is like a bad joke, that needs to go away.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By linsanel_Doctor

Nope

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well dang, I actually liked Silk. Whereas I couldn't stand Spider-Gwen.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Neither, but if you HAVE to pick, I hear Spider Gwen is kinda good. Can't stand either heroine actually.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spider-Gwen is really great. First female spider hero out of the dozens created to ever feel like she fits in the Spider-man mythos. No magic, no spy organizations, no random experiments that happen to have the same effect as the spider bite, no weak story engine, no sexist/nonsensical costume design, no fingertip webbing, etc. And her book is just really fun. You get interesting takes on established characters like Daredevil.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@itsaworld: this just about nails it (although I wouldn't call Frank upstanding).

Ibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ibe

Spider-Gwen is really great. First female spider hero out of the dozens created to ever feel like she fits in the Spider-man mythos. No magic, no spy organizations, no random experiments that happen to have the same effect as the spider bite, no weak story engine, no sexist/nonsensical costume design, no fingertip webbing, etc. And her book is just really fun. You get interesting takes on established characters like Daredevil.

Really well said, dude! I like Earth-65, but I wish they kept Gwen in there rather than pushing her off into other stories all the time. Maybe it's because 616 is too crazy now, but I like that small little world, just like whatever Earth Renew Your Vows is set in.

Thankfully, the stupid Miles arc is done and over with, and she can go back to being awesome and doing her own stuff.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 said:

Really well said, dude! I like Earth-65, but I wish they kept Gwen in there rather than pushing her off into other stories all the time. Maybe it's because 616 is too crazy now, but I like that small little world, just like whatever Earth Renew Your Vows is set in.

Thankfully, the stupid Miles arc is done and over with, and she can go back to being awesome and doing her own stuff.

I wished that Miles was not transplanted to Earth-616. He belongs in his own universe. But stupid Marvel killed off their own UU cash cow with all of those deaths in Ultimatum rather than use the opportunity to create a new UU where UU Peter Parker was never Spider-Man in the first place, and Ultimatum never happened... Having him stranded on Earth-616 along with Spider-Man 2099 was just plain STUPID as it makes things too crowded. It should have been Peter Parker, Julia Carpenter, and Jessica Drew. Not the add-ons like Silk..

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ZariusII

@captain13 said:

Spider-Gwen is really great. First female spider hero out of the dozens created to ever feel like she fits in the Spider-man mythos.

..Except, y'know, Peter's kids Mayday Parker, and Annie May (whose own book routinely outsells Spider-Gwen on a monthly basis)

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 said:

Exactly how I feel about Spider Gwen. I sadly had to drop her book due to the constant story hijacking going on. This sucks because I really liked the concepts and the writing, and even the art. I was extremely interested in the universe changes made in earth-65, and couldn't wait to see it expanded on. Kudos to those who are able to wait out all of these dumb 616 overrides and enjoy an incredible alternate universe. Unfortunately my wallet and I cant do the same.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @captain13 said:

Spider-Gwen is really great. First female spider hero out of the dozens created to ever feel like she fits in the Spider-man mythos.

..Except, y'know, Peter's kids Mayday Parker, and Annie May (whose own book routinely outsells Spider-Gwen on a monthly basis)

As far I know they don't even appear in their own comics anymore so.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Captain13

@watcher5000 said:
    @zariusii said:
    @captain13 said:

As far I know they don't even appear in their own comics anymore so.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

And Peter has to be a full fledged adult for them to be around, which means they're not as marketable because Peter's almost guaranteed to be younger in adaptations.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@watcher5000 said:
    @zariusii said:
    @captain13 said:

And Peter has to be a full fledged adult for them to be around, which means their not as marketable because Peter's almost guaranteed to be younger in adaptations.

Until Joe Quesada and company are gone from Marvel. To keep his as kid is like having DC's Nightwing remain as a young Robin..

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Captain13

@darthfury78 said:
    @captain13 said:
    @watcher5000 said:
    @zariusii said:
    @captain13 said:

And Peter has to be a full fledged adult for them to be around, which means their not as marketable because Peter's almost guaranteed to be younger in adaptations.

Until Joe Quesada and company are gone from Marvel. To keep his as kid is like having DC's Nightwing remain as a young Robin..

It's not just editorial or staff. The Spider-man license is valuable because it is supposed to reach the young male demo, and licensers always think younger characters appeal more to younger viewers. There's a reason for all mainstream CN, Nick, and Disney shows outside of JLA being led by kids/teens. (And even JLA made the characters look young and has lots of teen heroes.) And outside of Direct to DVD films, Nightwing only appears if there's a kid Robin around because Robin is the more recognized/popular identity.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13: I find that the young male audience would read about a mature adult Peter Parker. If they want to make Spider-Man a kid, fine. But it just seems that Marvel is bringing all of their outside crap to the book by making it a Saturday Morning Cartoon under Dan Slott. It sucks that Marvel keeps repeating the same stories over and over again.

Ibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xXRedTokyoXx said:
    @captain13 said:

I wished that Miles was not transplanted to Earth-616. He belongs in his own universe. But stupid Marvel killed off their own UU cash cow with all of those deaths in Ultimatum rather than use the opportunity to create a new UU where UU Peter Parker was never Spider-Man in the first place, and Ultimatum never happened... Having him stranded on Earth-616 along with Spider-Man 2099 was just plain STUPID as it makes things too crowded. It should have been Peter Parker, Julia Carpenter, and Jessica Drew. Not the add-ons like Silk..

I like to think that Marvel Legacy will clean this all up. It'll be Marvel's version of D.C Rebrith

Timariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished major reading binge on both titles. I've been out of touch with Spider-continuity for like 15 years and only now hopping back into Web-wagon. It is funny how everywhere I read "Silk and evil Black Cat suck" and I am all like "Wth, I really like these characters!" but maybe it's because I have only read Silk's own title?? Anyway, Silk was good until they finished the Black Cat arc, and then it went to crap. It had some great art and though her backstory is what it is, I really liked emotional, slow-burn take on the characters. It is much fresher than current ASM which is too plot-action-driven for my tastes.

Spider-Gwen...I really like the character and the setting. Although it's just like umpteenth take on 'Spider-woman' theme, it manages to feel original enough that it doesn't smell like 'alternative universe fan service' even though that's what it is. But the plotting lets the series down somewhat. Writers are throwing too much angst and intensity at the reader with not enough breathers. I am afraid they will end up burning up the fanbase which is a shame as the character is so complete they could easily milk it out for years/decades. Also, is it just me or is Gwen the worst keeper of secret identity ever? 15 issues in, half the New York knows who she is. Again, this is writers rushing things and burning the title out too quickly with 'shocking' revelation every issue. At this rate, they'll write themselves into corner so bad they need to summon Mephisto-65 within a year to reset the timeline. Also, I would like them to come up with (serious) original villain/supporting character instead of "see, here we have a familiar 616-character except here he is EVIL, bwu ha ha!" every time.

Avatar image for silveragereader
    SilverAgeReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SilverAgeReader

@timariot: I like the character, but I agree that they seriously need to give her some breathing space! Everything is so tragic, so intense, all the time, with no space for her to move forward and grow. At least give her her powers back. Her entire journey makes no sense without them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.