Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Should ASM have rotating writers who has never written Spidey?

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darthfury78

Writers who should do 3-6 part self contained story arcs instead of having one sole writer? I would rather see comic book writers who has yet to write a Spider-Man story onboard with some of their previous work carried over. Too bad Slott never carried over She-Hulk into Peter's world as a supporting cast in her human guise mainly, for example. I feel that no one person should remain on ASM for too long. Better to have different writers doing a story arc, which could allow them to showcase their diverse take on Peter Parker.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZariusII

This worked out so ''brilliantly'' for the BND era.[/sarcasm]

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The Rule of Two should be implemented. A main writer and an apprentice writer to take over the role of main writer in due time and for the new main writer to take on an apprentice writer and continue the cycle. This way consistency is maintained and we can be sure that the next writer knows all about Spider Man that is needed.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel seemed to have forgotten about the apprentice writers as they would rather have someone from the Entertainment biz write Spider-Man....

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MarvelMan92

@darthfury78 said:

Marvel seemed to have forgotten about the apprentice writers as they would rather have someone from the Entertainment biz write Spider-Man....

They Should Actually Have That. I Also Think That Rotating Writers Should Be Used On Some Team Up Series. Like, Give Some Writers The Chance To Write Spider-Man. That Way We Can See Which Writers Could Be Great For The Character. I Mean, I Never Even Seen What Writers Like Kelly Thompson, Matthew Rosenberg, Ed Brisson, Becky Cloonan, Al Ewing, Margrett Stohl, And David F Walker's Takes Are Like. Hope To See All Of That If They Do Actually Get The Chance.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This seems like it could go very badly. No matter how good they are or how well the other writers know and respect each other, they're all going to have different ideas about what Peter and his world is supposed to be like. So having different writers on each arc could have Spider-Man's character fluctuating wildly as the series goes on. I'm not saying we need only one writer for almost a decade like Dan Slott has been, but you need consistency in your writers for the stories, characters, and tone to be consistent.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

This seems like it could go very badly. No matter how good they are or how well the other writers know and respect each other, they're all going to have different ideas about what Peter and his world is supposed to be like. So having different writers on each arc could have Spider-Man's character fluctuating wildly as the series goes on. I'm not saying we need only one writer for almost a decade like Dan Slott has been, but you need consistency in your writers for the stories, characters, and tone to be consistent.

That's what the Editors are for. They structure the characters and the story to ensure that things are consistent. I personally would love to see Brian Reed and Chris Claremont take a crack at writing ASM for a story arc.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

That's what the Editors are for. They structure the characters and the story to ensure that things are consistent. I personally would love to see Brian Reed and Chris Claremont take a crack at writing ASM for a story arc.

Yeah, Brian Reed Was Actually Really Good In The Day. He Actually Understood The Character Well. Also, Chris Claremont Was Actually The Main Writer Of The Marvel Team Up Series Featuring Spider-Man And He Did The Character Justice As Well. Would Like Like To See Either Of The Two Have A Shot Again.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dernman

@ursaber said:

The Rule of Two should be implemented. A main writer and an apprentice writer to take over the role of main writer in due time and for the new main writer to take on an apprentice writer and continue the cycle. This way consistency is maintained and we can be sure that the next writer knows all about Spider Man that is needed.

Ugh can you imagine Slott having an apprentice to continue his destruction of Spider-Man? It truly is the evil Slott I mean Sith.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @ursaber said:

Ugh can you imagine Slott having an apprentice to continue his destruction of Spider-Man? It truly is the evil Slott I mean Sith.

Not necessarily. See in the Rule of Two, the apprentice destroys the master and realizes his own vision but knows where to tread and how to undo past writers mistake or take advantage of the good they did.

BTW I formally say that the tradition begins after Slott leaves the book.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @dernman said:
    @ursaber said:

Not necessarily. See in the Rule of Two, the apprentice destroys the master and realizes his own vision but knows where to tread and how to undo past writers mistake or take advantage of the good they did.

It would be nice if different writers get to write 12 issues of ASM as a story arc on a monthly basis, which would be a better fit. This would give the next writer a chance to work out his 12 issue stories as well. Each writer gets to write 12 issues of ASM, The monthly format allows the writer to revise his stories with the Editor before it gets published. If the said writer is successful, they get to focus on Spidey's satellite series, like Web of Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man in the same 12 issue story arc commitment...

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ursaber

@ursaber said:
    @dernman said:
    @ursaber said:

It would be nice if different writers get to write 12 issues of ASM as a story arc on a monthly basis, which would be a better fit. This would give the next writer a chance to work out his 12 issue stories as well. Each writer gets to write 12 issues of ASM, The monthly format allows the writer to revise his stories with the Editor before it gets published. If the said writer is successful, they get to focus on Spidey's satellite series, like Web of Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man in the same 12 issue story arc commitment...

I think 12 issues are too little. Especially if its a bi weekly thing which are a rarity but not impossible.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @darthfury78 said:
    @ursaber said:
    @dernman said:
    @ursaber said:

I think 12 issues are too little. Especially if its a bi weekly thing which are a rarity but not impossible.

12 issues for ASM on a monthly basis format instead of bi-weekly. Followed by a stint on one of the satellite Spider-Man titles if their work on ASM was exceptional storytelling. I would rather see ASM as a monthly title once again to provide the writer flexibility with crafting their stories from start to finish. Especially if they have other projects to work on, which causes delays. It might be best for a writer to do 12 issues on ASM; 12 issues on Spectacular Spider-Man, etc. Better to have a new writer do 12 issues of ASM. If they do well, they can be offered the chance to do a satellite Spider-Man series. What would be exciting to see is the writer bring over some of his previous work to ASM. I wished that Slott had brought over Jennifer Walters to ASM in a supporting character role in her human form and one occasion in She-Hulk mode for stories that could bring out a complex side to their characters working together as we had seen her do during her tenure with The Fantastic Four and The Hulk Family...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.