Proof that Sam Raimi is a hack that never read a Spider-Man comic:

• 52 results
#52 Edited by ZhangThong12 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: He had a very elitist view of Spider-Man that romanticized everything Bronze Age and deemed everything else as worthless, hence why he hated Venom and intentionally sabotaged the character in Spider-Man 3

I don’t even want to comment on Venom, because I know he’s a great character and all the fans love him. I never want to say anything bad about a much-beloved character because usually it turns out that I’m the one that doesn’t understand what makes it great.” - Sam Raimi

"Also, I find it laughable how anyone could say that his Green Goblin was accurate. Raimi tried to do this weird thing where Norman was sometimes really sympathetic and tragic and then sometimes a misogynistic, sadistic monster and it didn't work at all. Had NO basis in the comics."

Norman Osborne is one of the most inconsistently defined Spider-Man villains. His personality always changed from one thing to another. At some point, he is a lovable father. At other point, he's an awful father. In 616 universe, he killed Gwen because he wanted to hurt Harry's friends because of how much he loved him. In 1610, he once said to Peter that he will kill Harry if Peter will tell him the truth about Norman. So yes, it does HAVE basis in the comics. In fact, when he first appeared, there wasn't even any Norman Osborne persona and it was only Goblin and his alter ego came later.

#53 Posted by ZhangThong12 (243 posts) - - Show Bio
#54 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: He had a very elitist view of Spider-Man that romanticized everything Bronze Age and deemed everything else as worthless, hence why he hated Venom and intentionally sabotaged the character in Spider-Man 3

I don’t even want to comment on Venom, because I know he’s a great character and all the fans love him. I never want to say anything bad about a much-beloved character because usually it turns out that I’m the one that doesn’t understand what makes it great.” - Sam Raimi

"Also, I find it laughable how anyone could say that his Green Goblin was accurate. Raimi tried to do this weird thing where Norman was sometimes really sympathetic and tragic and then sometimes a misogynistic, sadistic monster and it didn't work at all. Had NO basis in the comics."

Norman Osborne is one of the most inconsistently defined Spider-Man villains. His personality always changed from one thing to another. At some point, he is a lovable father. At other point, he's an awful father. In 616 universe, he killed Gwen because he wanted to hurt Harry's friends because of how much he loved him. In 1610, he once said to Peter that he will kill Harry if Peter will tell him the truth about Norman. So yes, it does HAVE basis in the comics. In fact, when he first appeared, there wasn't even any Norman Osborne persona and it was only Goblin and his alter ego came later.

As someone who has read the Silver Age through the Bronze Age, I agree. Norman's personality definitely shifted a lot. I remember him being a devoted father too. Raimi's portrayal was on-point.

My problem with Raimi's films (this coming from a massive fan of SM2 and someone who thinks Raimi's films far out-classed Homecoming) is Mary-Jane, how she's reduced to a damsel, or worse, unlikable. Go read Conway or JMS' Mary-Jane. Married MJ, especially, became a powerful female supporting character who's more than enough to stand next to Spidey as a person of integrity and character, not to mention an important moral support. Kristen Dunst is nothing like that, being all whiny, especially in SM2, or just a mere victim in SM3. We never got to see MJ's brilliance as a character, only Peter's.

The webshooters aren't that big of a problem for me though, more of a nitpick. Those shooters were often a plot-device anyway to cause problems in fights when the plot needed it. No, the bigger problem that's related to the webshooters is Peter's lack of using science as the solution to his problems in the films. Yes, we've seen some of his scientific prowess in the films, but it didn't really play a significant role in Peter's life.

But these are mostly minor issues IMO because in the grand scheme of things, Raimi did a solid job portraying Silver Age Spidey for the first two films, and to some small extent, SM3 too. They are corny and somewhat dated (especially in regards to Mary-Jane and her status as a woman), but so were the older comics. They are what they are, and what they are representing (the older SM comics) were represented well. Spider-Man 2 remains as the best SM film in my book because it shows everything important about Peter and Spidey: choice, responsibility, his life sucks and his friends hate him because of Spidey but he chooses to uphold his moral integrity, all that good stuff. I feel like Homecoming missed the spirit of the character, or most of it. Holland's Peter is some self-entitled kid constantly trying to kiss Tony's booty (and vice versa with his aunt may). Not the Spidey I grew up with. Hope to see a better portrayal in the sequel.

#55 Posted by ZhangThong12 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

@roguedewolff: honestly... I can't comment on MJ because... Well, because, most of the time, love interests in superhero movies are weak. That's one of the biggest detriments of the genre. Many folks think that Rachel from The Dark Knight trilogy was the weakest character in terms of writing in that series. And while I don't agree with that, I can see where are they coming from. So I'm not going to argue about why MJ is not a spot-on character. I do love how in the movies we get the contrast to her and Peter, where we are at first shown her being popular in school while Peter is a looser, but then, at home, Peter has a lovable family while MJ has abusive family. It's good stuff, I think. But then she's kind of annoying in parts. And... Yeah. I started reading Spider-Man when J. M. S became the writer on Spidey, in the early 2000's. And his MJ was very compelling. So I do see your point.

#56 Posted by TheCapstrikes (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Go Raimi!

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
#57 Posted by Supermanfan1938 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Raimi Spider-Man is what more superhero movies should strive to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.