Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider Marriage of Peter and Mary Jane Reading Order

• 86 results
    ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By ursaber

(list will alter when future orders are edited in)

-

A listing of Spider Man comics with any Peter and Mary Jane appearances in it relevant to their iconic relationship. In chronological order might I add.

Side Note: Something that should be noted is that, contrary to something Dan Slott said a long time ago about Marvel suddenly scrapping the relationship with Black Cat to make way for the Spider Marriage.

Spider Man and the Black Cat had effectively broken up years before Annual 21 and there is a LOT of build up and development on the relationship of Peter and Mary Jane before the sudden (but welcome) decision to wed them. The issue of their break up was Spectacular Spider Man v2 100 (1984).

So it wasn't as rushed as one might think.

-

Available in full here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wz0tfxt8LnEcHBZCJw7CW4jM5MEvSZZ9ZT3f4I84jS0/edit?usp=sharing

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I clicked the google doc link in my e-mail, and it asked me to log in. I thought it was some kind of hang out.

Spectacular work, sir! This is an amazing reference thread. Thank you for putting in all this work.

I bookmarked this page!

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ursaber

@infantfinite128 said:

I clicked the google doc link in my e-mail, and it asked me to log in. I thought it was some kind of hang out.

Spectacular work, sir! This is an amazing reference thread. Thank you for putting in all this work.

I bookmarked this page!

Cool. I'm beginning my work on organizing Part 3 - The Spider Marriage.

It will be a big endeavor to undertake. Twenty years of comics to tackle now. I'll probably divide it into parts like Early 90's, Early 2000's.

Although I will be skipping some eras like the Clone Saga and the Howard Mackie run. I will only exclusively focus on the appearances of Peter Parker and Mary Jane as it pertains to their relationship.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice, excellent work bro.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Sounds like a plan!

Despite the Clone Saga not being so hot, Amazing Spider-man 400 is still a recommendation for folks! Aunt May should have kicked the bucket at that point.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is fantastic. You also took the time to write out the important parts of their relationship. Quite impressive and well thought out. Thank you.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZariusII

@infantfinite128 According to the Spider-Girl continuity, Issue 400 counts and it was the real Aunt May that died. I've often had a theory the May Peter and MJ have had since the end of 1998 in 616 has been a clone/actress, which would of course make OMD even more tragic

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By infantfinite128

@zariusii: That was a good move by Tom DeFalco!

If I trusted Marvel currently, there would be so much to work with to bring Spider-man so much through the wringer and come out strong.

It could make for an excellent story of hope through the darkness and becoming stronger after conquering great evil.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draviex said:

This is fantastic. You also took the time to write out the important parts of their relationship. Quite impressive and well thought out. Thank you.

My pleasure.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@infantfinite128 According to the Spider-Girl continuity, Issue 400 counts and it was the real Aunt May that died. I've often had a theory the May Peter and MJ have had since the end of 1998 in 616 has been a clone/actress, which would of course make OMD even more tragic

That's a horrible theory. Just retcon Clone Saga and OMD and its all fine and dandy.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ursaber

@animehunter, @zariusii, @infantfinite128, @marvelman92, @eto, @thor_parker82

Maybe this reading order wasn't the best idea.

Thanks to the new volume of ASM and Spencer reuniting Peter Parker and Mary Jane, I was in a place of bliss at this development.

Then I read USM which was an excellent read. Then a question forms, why do these two love each other which prompts me to go back and reread the development of their romance. But that required a chronology of the Spider-Man books and a lot of searching. I get the idea for the reading order but now that I've compiled the lead up to ASM Annual 21, the early spider marriage is a mixed bag of good and bad. Bad in the sense that their bad luck and fortune set out immediately. Kraven's Last Hunt stole two weeks of their lives, some nerdy kid turned forgotten villain Phreak electrocutes Mary Jane, and now MJ's stalker admirer Jonathon Caesar has thrown their lives into chaos.

There's just so much bad going on here. These old comics are a drab to read nowadays even if the writing is stellar, its still depressing how bad things were going for them back then. Not to mention Peter working at the bugle.

And now because I've already started this compilation I still have 20 years of comics to order and list here. And the Spider Marriage didn't achieve balance until the JMS run cause the whole 90's decade was a turbulent affair what with the Clone Saga and the terrible return of Norman, the loss of their kid, the un death of May, Howard Mackie, etc. Then add in the BND era and Marvel covering up the spider marriage at all cost and how they butchered the Peter Parker and Mary Jane characters after and its a headache. And don't get me started on Peter and his obsessive watch over Aunt May.

Now I'm back to the old me who wants them remarried at any cost and not just enjoying the cool development Spencer has brought back to the table. Optimism overturned by frustration.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber You're being overly harsh on the Spider-Marriage during the 90s. There were strong and hopeful moments between them there even during all of the troubles,

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@ursaber You're being overly harsh on the Spider-Marriage during the 90s. There were strong and hopeful moments between them there even during all of the troubles,

I know. There were a lot of great, good, strong and hopeful moments but there was also a lot of bad fortune. Immediately after getting married Kraven's Last Hunt happens, then the whole a affair with Jonathon Caesar leading to them being penniless and homeless with MJ's jobs being sabotaged and Peter also unable to work because Chameleon has taken over Jameson. Sure they would overcome it but the bad was still there and it weighs on you.

Its just, well a lot. I was perfectly blissful with Spencer's development in ASM. But then I recall Dan Slott's horrible characterization of Peter and Mary Jane, recalling Power Play, Superior, OMIT and OMD. Then I go further back to see Peter and Mary Jane's first relationship which led to the first proposal refusal, then the lead up to Annual 21 which was full of will they's won't they's. Then the actual marriage which is good for the two of them but the turbulence and hell they will go through, even if I already know they will succeed and overcome, in retrospect, all this commotion from the Pre and Post OMD eras makes me doubt their togetherness and that at times they would have fared better apart and I hate that.

I hate to think that Peter and Mary Jane would have been better apart to avoid a lot of that trouble which in turn reinforced them and made them indomitable people. Its the venom of the tiny tiny logic used for OMD OMIT and how Slott characterized MJ in Superior about simply not being able to take any more of Spider Man drama and life threatening scenarios.

Which in turn makes me fearful of the present status of them back together. I want to get back to just enjoying the two being reunited but now I'm just wondering how long it will last. They're together but its not enough in the long run. What will they amount to as a couple, will there be a Spencer twist where their entire reunion was real, etc. I mean what's the point of them being "just" together if their is no greater goal for the two of them, nothing to amount to. Starting a life together and all.

???

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ursaber:

There's just so much bad going on here. These old comics are a drab to read nowadays even if the writing is stellar, its still depressing how bad things were going for them back then. Not to mention Peter working at the bugle.

What do you mean by "drab" ? If the writing is good then reading the books should be a pleasure.

Its just, well a lot. I was perfectly blissful with Spencer's development in ASM. But then I recall Dan Slott's horrible characterization of Peter and Mary Jane, recalling Power Play, Superior, OMIT and OMD. Then I go further back to see Peter and Mary Jane's first relationship which led to the first proposal refusal, then the lead up to Annual 21 which was full of will they's won't they's. Then the actual marriage which is good for the two of them but the turbulence and hell they will go through, even if I already know they will succeed and overcome, in retrospect, all this commotion from the Pre and Post OMD eras makes me doubt their togetherness and that at times they would have fared better apart and I hate that.

I hate to think that Peter and Mary Jane would have been better apart to avoid a lot of that trouble which in turn reinforced them and made them indomitable people. Its the venom of the tiny tiny logic used for OMD OMIT and how Slott characterized MJ in Superior about simply not being able to take any more of Spider Man drama and life threatening scenarios.

No, stop your train right there, you know that is not true, quite the opposite, they overcame that because they were together, that was the sole reason they came on top after all the horrible situations they went through, neither would have came out unscathed from that without their love for each other, it was that very same love that kept them sane and strong even through the most difficult of times, and yes, they were a lot, but I'd argue that the good moments were even more, and if by chance they weren't and the ratio was 1 to 1000000, it was still worth it, because the good moments they had were absolute gold, and they were quite a lot.

If Peter and Mary Jane had been apart they would not have faired better, not even close, they NEED each other because they push each other to being the very best versions of themselves, and that is an enormous help when going through bad situations, and an enourmous bliss to have someone to share the great moments.

Which in turn makes me fearful of the present status of them back together. I want to get back to just enjoying the two being reunited but now I'm just wondering how long it will last. They're together but its not enough in the long run. What will they amount to as a couple, will there be a Spencer twist where their entire reunion was real, etc. I mean what's the point of them being "just" together if their is no greater goal for the two of them, nothing to amount to. Starting a life together and all.

Why do you see marriage as the end-all of relationships though ? Are you a devoted catholic ?

Marriage is not necessarily the end of the line or the "maximum expression" of love, I know it's more symbolic than anything, but at the end of the line, marriage is just a piece of paper if we look at it cold headed. They can be together and partners fully commited to each other without that marriage, it's not a "must" for them to show the readers that they are meant to each other or that they are fully commited to their relationship, plenty of people spend their lives together without getting married and live happily.

Now don't get me wrong, I DO want them married, but I'm not in a hurry to see that happen nor do I see it as a must, I'd rather have them develop a strong relationship again after all these years apart and have them married at the end of Spencer's run, which hopefully lasts at least 3 years.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ursaber

@thor_parker82:

What do you mean by "drab" ? If the writing is good then reading the books should be a pleasure.

Good writing can be subjective to one's own interpretation or perception. Peter's behavior annoys the hell out of me because of how he's always choosing Aunt May wanting to preserve the life of an old woman who should have disintegrated, always running towards any chance at putting on the costume to delay or escape the responsibilities in front of him, disregarding Mary Jane a lot of times, and just his general naive goodness that demands he be humble and modest even when in serious need himself. That combined with the misfortunes that happen to him and how he reacts instead of thinking things through every single time and not being smart about anything is what makes it such a "drab" read for me.

Edit: I guess in retrospect I am projecting more what I want to see rather than what already is.

No, stop your train right there, you know that is not true, quite the opposite, they overcame that because they were together, that was the sole reason they came on top after all the horrible situations they went through, neither would have came out unscathed from that without their love for each other, it was that very same love that kept them sane and strong even through the most difficult of times, and yes, they were a lot, but I'd argue that the good moments were even more, and if by chance they weren't and the ratio was 1 to 1000000, it was still worth it, because the good moments they had were absolute gold, and they were quite a lot.

If Peter and Mary Jane had been apart they would not have fared better, not even close, they NEED each other because they push each other to being the very best versions of themselves, and that is an enormous help when going through bad situations, and an enormous bliss to have someone to share the great moments.

I know that all the trouble they went through, they overcame it because they loved each other. But if they had not been together they would have also not faced many of those troubles in the first place. I think MJ would have still come across her various stalkers and Peter would continue to be the same old Spidey.

And I hate that thought. As I said its the tiny venom of logic infecting me from Quesada and Slott. At times I shake it, at times it comes back.

Why do you see marriage as the end-all of relationships though ? Are you a devoted catholic ?

Marriage is not necessarily the end of the line or the "maximum expression" of love, I know it's more symbolic than anything, but at the end of the line, marriage is just a piece of paper if we look at it cold headed. They can be together and partners fully commited to each other without that marriage, it's not a "must" for them to show the readers that they are meant to each other or that they are fully commited to their relationship, plenty of people spend their lives together without getting married and live happily.

I did grew up in a God fearing household that values marriage and doth not see it as a mere legal document or status. Not catholic though.

Marriage is exactly the end game and ultimate expression of love. Its the vow and commitment to be true to the other till the end of their days and its only binding because the two partners who want to get married hold those binds to stay together. To say marriage is a piece of paper is to disregard the magnitude of how important it really is. Its like saying its not really that important which it is. Nowadays with the morally dubious society we live in and with the massive rise of divorce, everyone tends to forget the importance and value and purpose of marriage in the first place.

Peter and Mary Jane in the OMIT timeline basically had what you say is being together and partners without being married. Many people live like this but Peter and Mary Jane were married in the first place so that's a part of them. They were together in this "committed" relationship but they ended broken up. They didn't start a life together, they didn't start the family they wanted together, it just ended. Granted its all thanks to OMD and OMIT but still, its what you say above. Its proof that that kind of relationship won't amount to anything for Peter and Mary Jane. They're just drifting aimlessly.

Now don't get me wrong, I DO want them married, but I'm not in a hurry to see that happen nor do I see it as a must, I'd rather have them develop a strong relationship again after all these years apart and have them married at the end of Spencer's run, which hopefully lasts at least 3 years.

Considering all the trouble Marvel went through to eliminate the marriage in the first place, I don't think they would ever make, what they see as a mistake, again.

They're together again and that's good but the clock doesn't reset, everything they went through together before counts.

The only possibility of them being remarried is with the resolution of OMD IMO.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By infantfinite128

@ursaber: I'm not reading the Spencer. I've learned that it's best to just read individual runs of characters, and view them as their own separate entities. Don't worry about continuity. Focus on good writing because otherwise, I'll forget why I was so passionate about something because it can make things seem lousy in retrospect.

It can be helpful to not worry about it in other media either. Just focus on good things and see if those things are worth getting passionate about. It can save you a lot of time and money! Just focus on propping up the good things that bring you happiness instead of worrying about settling. Life is too short for fiction to cause aggravation.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ursaber

@infantfinite128:

I'm not reading the Spencer.

I highly recommend Spencer's run on ASM. He writes Peter like somewhat of a dork fool, much like every other writer before him, but he got Peter and Mary Jane back together in his first issue and his technical writing and comedy are good. Really good in comparison to Dan Slott.

I've learned that it's best to just read individual runs of characters, and view them as their own separate entities. Don't worry about continuity. Focus on good writing because otherwise, I'll forget why I was so passionate about something because it can make things seem lousy in retrospect.

I browse through the comics as separate entities but there is a chronological order and many crossovers with sister books that if you don't read you don't get the full experience. Grant it its a chore but when there is a continuity I have to follow it. Currently I am just skimming through Spider-Man books to take not of all Spider-Marriage appearances. Thankfully I quickly went through the terrible late 1993 year and skipped the Clone Saga in favor of reaching the point where Ben Reilly dies as well as MJ's miscarriage. Now that I'm over Gathering of the Five, I am much more at bliss.

And fully agreed on the retrospect part. It was a different time but I am looking at it with modern goggles. It was more Peter's portrayal and how he never did anything effective.

It can be helpful to not worry about it in other media either. Just focus on good things and see if those things are worth getting passionate about. It can save you a lot of time and money! Just focus on propping up the good things that bring you happiness instead of worrying about settling. Life is too short for fiction to cause aggravation.

My whole prerogative of enjoying anything is to find even anything at all that I like in a product. I disliked Batman v Superman but still had a lot of good scenes I really liked. Dude, I spend no money, just reading online. Well, not reading, skimming is the more correct definition. Luckily aggravation is another thing time can cure.

Basically my whole grief with going back and reading those old ASM comics was how terrible Peter is. I mean he learns nothing. All he wants is to put on the costume and run away from his responsibilities. And his entire behavior and manner really frustrated me. That and the horrible scenarios and terrible living conditions brought by the Clone Saga and Civil War.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber:Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not interested. I'm not giving money to buy new Marvel comics until they get their act together, and I don't steal books for online reading.

I agree that Peter isn't very like-able in older stories.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber:Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm not interested. I'm not giving money to buy new Marvel comics until they get their act together, and I don't steal books for online reading.

I agree that Peter isn't very like-able in older stories.

What do you mean get their act together. Even if Marvel as a whole is a bust, there are still a few gems amidst all the chaff. I tell ya, reading Spencer's ASM would be a treat. Nothing too serious and all really fun and light.

-

My problem with Peter in older stories was that he never compartmentalized, he never administered his double life effectively despite having been in the superhero business for years on end. He also has a serious problem that he runs away from his problems and responsibilities to escape as Spider-Man. And he doesn't know when NOT to be Spider-Man. He also didn't take into serious account the feelings of his loved ones either, especially on Mary Jane. He was also plenty inconsiderate with Mary Jane knowing how she'd rather have more Peter Parker than Spider-Man but showing up as Spidey instead of changing first and asking about her before himself. And when he's not in costume all he can talk about is his superhero life and he dares to complain about not being enough Peter Parker time when he is the reason that is so. And he never learns. He experiences these negative traits over and over and never fricking learns.

He's just this naive, humble/modest dork.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I don't want to give money to support any new books from them. This hobby is really expensive, and it's not worth it. I wouldn't mind if Marvel never published a new book again.

I'm not wasting my energy and my money on worrying about continuity. I'd rather go back and view runs as their own separate entities because otherwise I'm not going to like a lot of characters.

That's a good assessment. Seeing him act child-like isn't my cup of tea.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I don't want to give money to support any new books from them. This hobby is really expensive, and it's not worth it. I wouldn't mind if Marvel never published a new book again.

I'm not wasting my energy and my money on worrying about continuity. I'd rather go back and view runs as their own separate entities because otherwise I'm not going to like a lot of characters.

That's a good assessment. Seeing him act child-like isn't my cup of tea.

I don't get the first sentence. I get that you don't want to support Marvel by buying their books, but then you go on that you would buy "new" books from Marvel. What does that mean?

Also, you are technically not giving money to Marvel if you buy from the direct marker comic book shops. You are giving money to the shops themselves who already bought comics from Marvel. You'd actually be helping local comic shops.

-

But weren't you the one who said you don't care about continuity and the order of things? The current ASM run is, well the presently ongoing main Spider-Man comic. You're not worrying about continuity by reading that book at all.

-

As for Peter, it was a complete mixed bag of him being an adult and a child. A man-child. He was mature and capable at times and others he was completely foolish. That's just my assessment of 90's Spider-Man. He got WAY better in 2001 when J Michael Straczynski took over. A mature competent adult.

If there is one RUN of Amazing Spider-Man you out to read without question, its JMS'. Just stop before OMD.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I think you misread what I wrote! It doesn't say that at all. haha

But you're right on that second point, so I guess I do care about continuity! Thanks for calling that out!

I just emotionally invested myself in various characters, and I didn't want to keep waiting around, but maybe that was short term thinking because I'm frustrated.

Maybe, I'll check it in trade if my library gets it! I've read that JMS run! I've read hundreds of issues of Spider-man! I think he wrote the relationship best besides JM DeMatteis and Gerry Conway.

I appreciate your help, and thank you for sticking with me.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantfinite128:

I just emotionally invested myself in various characters, and I didn't want to keep waiting around, but maybe that was short term thinking because I'm frustrated.

Trust me, I do get the not wanting to wait around for a new comic book issue. I have that problem with Aquaman. But Spencer's ASM comes out twice a month so the wait is relatively little.

Maybe, I'll check it in trade if my library gets it! I've read that JMS run! I've read hundreds of issues of Spider-man! I think he wrote the relationship best besides JM DeMatteis and Gerry Conway.

Meaning you will try the current volume of ASM written by Spencer? I don't consider DeMatteis to be someone who properly tackled the Spider-Marriage. I'd say Conway, Micheline and JMS were the best at it.

I appreciate your help, and thank you for sticking with me.

My sincere and genuine pleasure!

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By infantfinite128

@ursaber: Yep! I really respect your opinion, so I checked to see if my library system had it available. They don't. I checked though!

That's interesting! You didn't think JM DeMatteis' wrote it well in "Kraven's Last Hunt" and "Best of Enemies"? I don't remember; maybe it wasn't very good. That's good that you think that about Micheline! What about Matt Fraction in "To Have and to Hold"? And Christopher Priest in "Spider-man versus Wolverine"!

I sincerely appreciate your appeals to logic!

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Yep! I really respect your opinion, so I checked to see if my library system had it available. They don't. I checked though!

That's interesting! You didn't think JM DeMatteis' wrote it well in "Kraven's Last Hunt" and "Best of Enemies"? I don't remember; maybe it wasn't very good. That's good that you think that about Micheline! What about Matt Fraction in "To Have and to Hold"? And Christopher Priest in "Spider-man versus Wolverine"!

I sincerely appreciate your appeals to logic!

What's your library system? Comixology?

-

KLH barely had the Spider-Marriage. The focus was on Kraven. But the parts that did show sentiment for the newlyweds was well done at the very least.

• JMS is my favorite. He brought Peter and Mary Jane into a fully mature and evolved Spider-Marriage.
    • Micheline's run on ASM started after Tom DeFalco, meaning the very beginning of the Spider-Marriage. He was good until the Second Clone Saga.
    • Matt Fraction wrote the single greatest Spider-Marriage issue IMO. To Have and to Hold is my favorite.
    • The one with Spider-Man vs Wolverine was also good.
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: No. There is an online library called "Hoopla" where some trades and issues are put up digitally to read. If you have a library card, you can get 10 books/movies/comics/audio books per month!

There's also a website that can get book from libraries across my state. There's patrons that donate books. It's pretty sweet!

Thanks for the feedback!

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantfinite128:

Why not use Comixology or Marvel Unlimited? Or I take it you prefer to acquire physical books?

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I don't have Marvel Unlimited or a Comixology subscription right now, and the library is paid for so if I can read from there, I take advantage of it to save money.

I've bought hundreds of issues off of Comixology though.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I don't have Marvel Unlimited or a Comixology subscription right now, and the library is paid for so if I can read from there, I take advantage of it to save money.

I've bought hundreds of issues off of Comixology though.

Hoopla you said was your service. Is it digital or physical? How is it you save money on it?

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Hoopla is digital. All I need is my library card.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ursaber
    Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Glaucus

There is no doubt that Peter and Mary Jane had ups and downs with serious problems in their relationship. The good outweighed the bad though. This couple is very popular and considered the most iconic in Marvel.

I thought the problems and challenges that they had actually made the relationship interesting and not boring. Their love for each other overcame their problems until One More Day which was so obviously editorial-driven.

I mentioned stuff about them in my post: Addressing Misconceptions about Dick and Kory.

This is what I typed:

During the period that Dick and Kory's relationship turned into a disaster in August 1993 and they completely ended in September 1994, Peter and Mary Jane had their own problems. Peter had sworn to Mary Jane that he would give up being Spider-Man for awhile and he went back on his word, and Mary Jane was upset about that. Peter was acting all neurotic with his sense of responsibility as Spider-Man, and Mary Jane was stressing out over Peter being Spider-Man and had a cigarette addiction. Her acting career was falling apart. In a comic book page, Mary Jane thinks that Peter didn't come home last night, and she thinks that most wives worry about infidelity but Peter is Spider-Man - he could be dead. Liz kicked Peter and Mary Jane out of their loft. Peter's parents came back into his life, but they end up being androids. After he loses his fake parents, Peter is driven with rage and vengeance and pushes Mary Jane away. May ends up sick in the hospital, and Peter goes nuts that he webs himself up in a cocoon so he cannot be reached. This was heading up into the Death of Aunt May in Amazing Spider-Man issue #400 and the infamous Clone Saga that so many Spider-Man fans hated including me. The only things that I liked about it was Ben Reilly and Mary Jane demonstrating great loyalty and faithfulness as Peter's wife even when Peter was believed to be the clone to the point that she was willing to let Peter kill her when he was under the Jackal's programming which she helped him break. I read those comics when I was in my 20s in the 1990s. Like Dick and Kory, Peter and Mary Jane had their ups and downs with serious problems. There are no comic couples that have perfect relationships. Comic books have quite the soapy element to them. As a person that loves to watch soap operas on television, I actually enjoy that. I just don't care for the love triangles and my favorite characters killed off. When Mary Jane was killed off in an airplane accident in 1999, I couldn't bear reading Spider-Man comics any more.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-titans/4060-50386/forums/addressing-misconceptions-about-the-dickkory-fanba-1978136/

If I had read the Teen Titans comics in the 1980s, my favorite comic book couple may have been Dick/Kory instead of Peter/Mary Jane. That's how much I've grown to like Dick/Kory after recently reading and learning about their relationship just these past few weeks. I have been trying to raise awareness and understanding about Dick/Kory and defend them, and so I created a thread with information about them.

Right now, I am very grateful for my favorite comic book couple being back together. I am not going to worry about them. I am going to enjoy them as much as I can. Right now, it's a great time to be a Spider-Man and Peter/Mary Jane fan.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glaucus:

Beautiful words.

2018 is a better year than most for Peter x MJ, given she's back with him in the main ASM book, she's the main female lead in the Insomniac Spider-Man game, etc.

My ultimate desire and goal for them is to be remarried and end OMD.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ursaber

@animehunter, @zariusii, @itsaworld, @marvelman92, @quilsniv, @mizerous, @blackspidey2099, @thor_parker82, @eto, @g2, @kiba, @knightwriteri, @fromapov

@hoicomicbro, @silveragereader, @strongtower7, @spidercide, @scott_summers52, @oldwasher, @bjparks, @magnetic_eye, @amazingfantasy, @infantfinite128

@theheaven_guardian10, @glaucus, @cmpunk4life, @green_tea

-

ANNOUNCEMENT: I have finished compiling the Spider-Man Peter Parker Mary Jane Romance from Pre Marriage to Post Marriage/Pre OMD

Available in full here: (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wz0tfxt8LnEcHBZCJw7CW4jM5MEvSZZ9ZT3f4I84jS0) Peter Parker Mary Jane Complete Romance

Additional Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wz0tfxt8LnEcHBZCJw7CW4jM5MEvSZZ9ZT3f4I84jS0/edit?usp=sharing)

-

And it only took me seven days to browse through over a thousand issues to find nearly 500 notable issues of the Peter MJ romance, excluding parts of the Clone Saga which I could not get into.

Edit: The total of compiled Spider-Man issues containing meaningful appearances of the romance between Peter Parker and Mary Jane numbers at: 462. EXCLUDING several issues from the Clone Saga.

I also included the current run of Nick Spencer on Amazing Spider-Man.

FromAPOV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Damn, 500 issues and you spent 7 days going through over a thousand, bro you seriously have insane dedication & passion, lots of respect from me.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fromapov said:

@ursaber: Damn, 500 issues and you spent 7 days going through over a thousand, bro you seriously have insane dedication & passion, lots of respect from me.

No, well yes, but I also had a lot of time on my hands.

You see, I had this other chronology that showcases every appearance Spider-Man has made from Amazing Fantasy 15 to 2016.

-

(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z2Vj1lrIjhzCmLYPD8dlUPwRH7xKjbQ0Oq3Dgdy43qM) Spider-Man 616 Chronology v1.7

Additional Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z2Vj1lrIjhzCmLYPD8dlUPwRH7xKjbQ0Oq3Dgdy43qM/edit?usp=sharing)

-

And from that chronology I searched through thousands of comics, ASM, Spectacular, plain Spider-Man, Sensational, etc. Every sister book from the issue after Gwen dies when Mary Jane comforts Peter to ASM 543 which is the last issue preceding One More Day.

And have finally compiled them. All the major Spider-Marriage and Romance Appearances of Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

-

(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wz0tfxt8LnEcHBZCJw7CW4jM5MEvSZZ9ZT3f4I84jS0) Peter Parker Mary Jane Complete Romance

Additional Link (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wz0tfxt8LnEcHBZCJw7CW4jM5MEvSZZ9ZT3f4I84jS0/edit?usp=sharing)

FromAPOV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FromAPOV

@ursaber: But, even so I still feel you deserve appreciation & credit, for it. Not a lot of people, would spend their free time doing something like this, that definitely makes you a hardcore devoted Spider-Man fan in my book.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fromapov said:

@ursaber: But, even so I still feel you deserve appreciation & credit, for it. Not a lot of people, would spend their free time doing something like this, that definitely makes you a hardcore devoted Spider-Man fan in my book.

LOL thanks.

But such devotion is a double edged sword. I may be seen as a hardcore fan or as someone who has nothing better to do.

In any case thanks for your respect.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@animehunter, @zariusii, @itsaworld, @marvelman92, @quilsniv, @mizerous, @blackspidey2099, @thor_parker82, @eto, @g2, @kiba, @knightwriteri, @fromapov

@hoicomicbro, @silveragereader, @strongtower7, @spidercide, @scott_summers52, @oldwasher, @bjparks, @magnetic_eye, @amazingfantasy, @infantfinite128

@theheaven_guardian10, @glaucus, @cmpunk4life, @green_tea

-

ANNOUNCEMENT: I have finished compiling the Spider-Man Peter Parker Mary Jane Romance from Pre Marriage to Post Marriage/Pre OMD

Available in full here: (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wz0tfxt8LnEcHBZCJw7CW4jM5MEvSZZ9ZT3f4I84jS0) Peter Parker Mary Jane Complete Romance

-

And it only took me seven days to browse through over a thousand issues to find nearly 500 notable issues of the Peter MJ romance, excluding parts of the Clone Saga which I could not get into.

Edit: The total of compiled Spider-Man issues containing meaningful appearances of the romance between Peter Parker and Mary Jane numbers at: 462. EXCLUDING several issues from the Clone Saga.

I also included the current run of Nick Spencer on Amazing Spider-Man.

Wow! I am impressed with all the work that you did.

I will definitely share this at Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson-Parker facebook page.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ursaber: Awesome work you've done there, you've out done yourself.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ursaber

@animehunter said:

Thanks. Have you been able to access the document!?

Edit: And I managed to overcome all the "hard" times that happened through the entirety of the romance, from Peter Parker No More, to Clone Saga, to Gathering of the Five, the Howard Mackie run and Civil War.

Now I am back to being at bliss and just enjoying them together again in Nick Spencer's ASM despite remaining unmarried.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @animehunter said:

Thanks. Have you been able to access the document!?

Yes, no issues accessing the list

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Good!

And I managed to overcome all the "hard" times that happened through the entirety of the romance, from Peter Parker No More, to Clone Saga, to Gathering of the Five, the Howard Mackie run and Civil War.

Now I am back to being at bliss and just enjoying them together again in Nick Spencer's ASM despite remaining unmarried.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Amazing work man! I really need to re-read some of those comics...

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Amazing work man! I really need to re-read some of those comics...

No trouble accessing the sheet?

I also wrote some comments next to some issues I really liked and for reference.

And much appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.