Peter Parker x Mary Jane Appreciation

  • 125 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for ursaber
#1 Edited by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a simple thread for the appreciation of the relationship romance of Peter Parker Spider Man and Mary Jane Watson in whatever the incarnation.

Be it boyfriend and girlfriend or husband and wife.

-

No Caption Provided

-

Why Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane love each other - the foundation of that relationship comes from their shared upbringing together. For the longest time since they were kids, Peter and Mary Jane have been their best friends. They grew up together, played together, and because of all this togetherness they know each other very well and trust and confide in each other. Underlining all of that was a growing affection that leaned towards the romantic. It was always there but it didn't manifest until after Peter got his powers. Peter telling Mary Jane that he is Spider Man is a massive leap of trust between the two, an astronomical development for both of them.

Having this secret between them that nobody else knows becomes a statement, the trust and affection become genuine love. With this comes a partnership between the two unlike any each of them has with anyone. Now they're closer and more connected than ever, rely and trust on each other. Over the course of USM, the duo break up multiple times but never stop loving each other. The trials of being Spider Man and being Spider Man's girlfriend lead to a series of traumatic life threatening scenarios which they manage to survive and as a result that tempers their trust and affection into unconditional love creating an unbreakable bond. All of this is a magnet that holds them together, that they don't want to ever let go of even after brief experiences with others in the times they've broken up.

Despite their young age, the fact that they survived and overcame all those life threatening scenarios and still want to be with each other shows their emotional maturity despite their age and stands as another statement to their love for each other. The two also have chemistry. Their upbringing together and how they talk to each other and reciprocate with clever, charming and confident wit.

In conclusion, Peter and Mary Jane are best friends with an unshakable affection, knowledge and trust for each other. And that is why they love each other.

Why 616 Peter and Mary Jane love each other - Much like their Ultimate counterparts, the foundation of this relationship comes from a shared history, similar life experiences and upbringing. But the big one is that both Peter and Mary Jane wear masks to hide who they are. Peter wears the literal mask of Spider Man to protect his identity and so no one can see when he's afraid. Mary Jane wears a metaphorical mask to hide her true feelings of sadness as a result of her abusive home life and struggle for stability. Both have lost loved ones as a result of their actions. They both hide their true feelings from the world and guard it steadfastness. And they both suffer from inner guilt. Peter for his Uncle Ben, Mary Jane for abandoning her sister. This inner pain shapes them, made them who they are. But the road splits on how they've chosen to handle said pain, Peter vows to never put his own needs ahead of doing what's right whereas Mary Jane chooses to center on herself and deflect or run away from problems instead of facing them head on.

Something that connects their lives even before meeting the other is that Mary Jane is the first person ever to learn Peter is Spider Man the night his uncle dies. Before they even met each other and years before they became intimate, Mary Jane knew his greatest secret and his true self. This causes turmoil within Mary Jane as she begins to wonder what kind of person Peter is and who he really is. The spider or the man, a good man or a bad man.They finally meet and get to know each other over the college years becoming friends and colleagues and becoming attracted to each other despite being with other people. Throughout all this time they both hide their true feelings and who they really are from everyone. After Gwen dies and they reciprocate their feelings for each other, Mary Jane is still fearful and unable to commit and leaves for a time running away once again.

Some time later they would reunite and Mary Jane confesses she knows he's Spider Man and her past stating that despite their long time as friends they never really knew each other. After that their bond deepens and more similarities between the two emerge. They're both survivors. Peter begins to confide in her more, trusting her and Mary Jane resists the urge to run away again. They stick to their guns and are there for each other because these new connections they share binds them in trust and affection. They have changed each other. Peter learns to let another person into his true life and self and Mary Jane is encouraged by Peter's sense of responsibility to face her problems instead of avoiding them. And they realize they need each other. They both have faults that the other can mend, they both have established trust between them and reliability and they both now know each other's true selves. Trust, need and knowledge coupled by romantic and intimate affection for each other lead the inevitable fact that they love each other.

In conclusion, Peter and Mary Jane in 616 need each other to survive. They are kindred spirits, two halves of a whole that need each other to be complete. But most of all, they bring out the best in one another and it makes them want to be better people.

Avatar image for ursaber
#2 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for ursaber
Avatar image for fromapov
#4 Posted by FromAPOV (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: You wanna know something, when I was 4 years old when I watched the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man Movie, I couldn't understand Peter & Mary Jane's relationship all that well, but when I became a bit older, I watched all three Movies, all the Cartoons and played all the Games Mary Jane appeared in. Well, I always had this thought in my head, why are they in a relationship and why do people like their relationship & like Mary Jane as character so much, that's what I used to think, until I started reading some of The Amazing Spider-Man Comics and that's when I realized why. Peter & MJ are portrayed in a much better way in the comics, than in the other medias, their chemistry, why they love & care for each other so much and why Mary Jane is not only a great supporting character for Peter, but also a perfect love interest for him. Mary Jane is overall a much more developed, likable and deeper character in the comics, than she is in the movies, cartoons and games, the only ones that come close, are Spectacular Spider-Man MJ, Web of Shadows MJ and maybe Kirsten Dunst MJ (her version of MJ had potential & could've been really great, but Spider-Man 2 & 3 just ruined it, even though I love Spider-Man 2, I really disliked how her character was handled in it).

But, now we have Spider-Man PS4 and I can say Insomniac, nailed 3 out of 4 things, that I wanted for MJ in the Game. 1. Her Character & Personality was handled really well, pretty much what I would expect from the MJ that I know & love from the comics. 2. Her Relationship with Peter/Spider-Man which was EASILY one of my most favorite things in the game, pretty much perfect. 3. Her voice actress, Laura Bailey did a fantastic job of representing the character and I thoroughly enjoyed her voicing MJ, I kinda doubted her in the beginning but she definitely proved me wrong and I'm glad I was proven wrong. Now, the only thing that I'm still not that big of a fan off, is Mary Jane's design, now I'm not saying that she should've looked like a goddamn model, but she could've looked like a really beautiful women and not like an average looking woman with ginger hair, I hope that wasn't a misogynistic statement, I just merely stated my own personal opinion/preference.

Avatar image for ursaber
#5 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@fromapov said:

@ursaber: You wanna know something, when I was 4 years old when I watched the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man Movie, I couldn't understand Peter & Mary Jane's relationship all that well, but when I became a bit older, I watched all three Movies, all the Cartoons and played all the Games Mary Jane appeared in. Well, I always had this thought in my head, why are they in a relationship and why do people like their relationship & like Mary Jane as character so much, that's what I used to think, until I started reading some of The Amazing Spider-Man Comics and that's when I realized why. Peter & MJ are portrayed in a much better way in the comics, than in the other medias, their chemistry, why they love & care for each other so much and why Mary Jane is not only a great supporting character for Peter, but also a perfect love interest for him. Mary Jane is overall a much more developed, likable and deeper character in the comics, than she is in the movies, cartoons and games, the only ones that come close, are Spectacular Spider-Man MJ, Web of Shadows MJ and maybe Kirsten Dunst MJ (her version of MJ had potential & could've been really great, but Spider-Man 2 & 3 just ruined it, even though I love Spider-Man 2, I really disliked how her character was handled in it).

But, now we have Spider-Man PS4 and I can say Insomniac, nailed 3 out of 4 things, that I wanted for MJ in the Game. 1. Her Character & Personality was handled really well, pretty much what I would expect from the MJ that I know & love from the comics. 2. Her Relationship with Peter/Spider-Man which was EASILY one of my most favorite things in the game, pretty much perfect. 3. Her voice actress, Laura Bailey did a fantastic job of representing the character and I thoroughly enjoyed her voicing MJ, I kinda doubted her in the beginning but she definitely proved me wrong and I'm glad I was proven wrong. Now, the only thing that I'm still not that big of a fan off, is Mary Jane's design, now I'm not saying that she should've looked like a goddamn model, but she could've looked like a really beautiful women and not like an average looking woman with ginger hair, I hope that wasn't a misogynistic statement, I just merely stated my own personal opinion/preference.

I agree with most of it.

I watch Spider Man in theaters when I was about 6 or 7. He became my favorite fictional character of all time. I felt I WAS Spider Man/Peter Parker.

At first the relationship stuff was yucky for a kid my age back then. Kirsten Dunst portrays one of the worst versions of Mary Jane. She would have functioned better as Gwen Stacy and Emma Stone as Mary Jane. I consider Mary Jane's portrayals in Spectacular Spider Man, the 1990's cartoon and the Web of Shadows game to be her best portrayals in media outside of comics.

But when I got into their relationship and began reading back throughout Spider Man comics and throughout their 20 year marriage, it became clear that Mary Jane was a singular entity in Spider Man's orbit. Important beyond even Ben and May. She is a survivor, a deep compelling character with nuance to spare. She works so well with Peter and Spider Man and gets developed alongside him. They both grow together and strive to be better because of the other.

When One More Day struck, that was shattered. In One Moment in Time, salt was rubbed on the wound and it became ten times worse.

Mary Jane in Insomniac's Spider Man is one of her best and most matured portrayals. She resembles more the Ultimate version of Mary Jane rather than the Amazing Spider Man (Main Canon) version of her. She is a reporter rather than a model/actress who outgrew her shallowness. It works very well. She's more of a girl next door childhood neighbor in this game and its very good. Subjectively I would have preferred a better more attractive design, particularly her face and jawline. I do believe she was too flat chested as well as in the rear. Laura Bailey voicing her was a treat of the highest order.

Avatar image for fromapov
#6 Posted by FromAPOV (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: Yeah, I completely agree with everything you just said, I did always think that Kirsten should've been cast as Gwen and Emma as MJ, because their personalities & appearances match their oposing characters much better, than their normal casting.

And I also agree with that, Spidey PS4 MJ is more like her Ultimate Counterpart than 616, but that isn't a bad thing at all, in fact Ultimate MJ is my 2 favorite version of the character, only topped by 616. Also, yes it would've been better, if her face design was a bit better, maybe give her a bigger butt & breasts and change the hairstyle into the more classic look with long hair & bangs and she would've been pretty much spot on.

Avatar image for ursaber
#7 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@fromapov said:

@ursaber: Yeah, I completely agree with everything you just said, I did always think that Kirsten should've been cast as Gwen and Emma as MJ, because their personalities & appearances match their oposing characters much better, than their normal casting.

And I also agree with that, Spidey PS4 MJ is more like her Ultimate Counterpart than 616, but that isn't a bad thing at all, in fact Ultimate MJ is my 2 favorite version of the character, only topped by 616. Also, yes it would've been better, if her face design was a bit better, maybe give her a bigger butt & breasts and change the hairstyle into the more classic look with long hair & bangs and she would've been pretty much spot on.

Ultimate Mary Jane being adapted here isn't bad by any margin. She's great in the game.

Her facial details could've used some work and her body slightly more shapely (but not with extreme proportions). The hair was good, I am a fan of ponytails.

I have a feeling that both Peter and Mary Jane in the game, despite both being over 21, had yet to fully grow up/develop physically.

I have a feeling that in the sequel, after two or three years had passed, that they'll look more attractive.

Avatar image for marvelman92
#8 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5220 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@fromapov said:

@ursaber: Yeah, I completely agree with everything you just said, I did always think that Kirsten should've been cast as Gwen and Emma as MJ, because their personalities & appearances match their oposing characters much better, than their normal casting.

And I also agree with that, Spidey PS4 MJ is more like her Ultimate Counterpart than 616, but that isn't a bad thing at all, in fact Ultimate MJ is my 2 favorite version of the character, only topped by 616. Also, yes it would've been better, if her face design was a bit better, maybe give her a bigger butt & breasts and change the hairstyle into the more classic look with long hair & bangs and she would've been pretty much spot on.

Ultimate Mary Jane being adapted here isn't bad by any margin. She's great in the game.

Her facial details could've used some work and her body slightly more shapely (but not with extreme proportions). The hair was good, I am a fan of ponytails.

I have a feeling that both Peter and Mary Jane in the game, despite both being over 21, had yet to fully grow up/develop physically.

I have a feeling that in the sequel, after two or three years had passed, that they'll look more attractive.

Would Like To See MJ And Peter Becoming Fully Mature. MJ With A Different Style Of Clothing. Would Like To See Her Without The Ponytail. I Really Would Like To See How She Would Look Without It. Either Long Hair, Frizzy Hair, Cury Hair, Messy Hair, I'd Really Like To See MJ Without The Ponytail Looking Like Her Regular Version. Infact, By The Time Of Either The DLC Or The Sequel, I Really Would Like To See MJ Pregnant Or Carry A Child. Would Really Like To See How The Two Evolved As A Couple. You Think Either May Day Or Annie Would Do In This Game First?

Avatar image for ursaber
#9 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

Would Like To See MJ And Peter Becoming Fully Mature. MJ With A Different Style Of Clothing. Would Like To See Her Without The Ponytail. I Really Would Like To See How She Would Look Without It. Either Long Hair, Frizzy Hair, Cury Hair, Messy Hair, I'd Really Like To See MJ Without The Ponytail Looking Like Her Regular Version. Infact, By The Time Of Either The DLC Or The Sequel, I Really Would Like To See MJ Pregnant Or Carry A Child. Would Really Like To See How The Two Evolved As A Couple. You Think Either May Day Or Annie Would Do In This Game First?

You're asking a lot by hoping she's pregnant. It isn't necessary and she's not dumb enough to get like that before being ready for it. Annie or any version of Peter and Mary Jane's child is certain to NOT make an appearance in the game's anytime soon.

Despite liking the ponytail (though not the face completely), long hair with the three bangs are my go to option. Exactly as she looked in her first appearance. No curly or fizzly hair. It doesn't become her.

Avatar image for ursaber
Avatar image for thor_parker82
#11 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

Great thread, I'll come back tomorrow with some of my favorite moments between them.

Avatar image for zariusii
#12 Posted by ZariusII (5751 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Here's a recent favourite of mine

Avatar image for ursaber
#13 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

Great thread, I'll come back tomorrow with some of my favorite moments between them.

Looking forward to it.

Avatar image for ursaber
#14 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:
No Caption Provided

Here's a recent favourite of mine

LOL. I remember that. Such a cool strip. Mary Jane is at times too beautiful, too great a woman. Everyone wants a shot at her.

Avatar image for marvelman92
#15 Posted by MarvelMan92 (5220 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:

Would Like To See MJ And Peter Becoming Fully Mature. MJ With A Different Style Of Clothing. Would Like To See Her Without The Ponytail. I Really Would Like To See How She Would Look Without It. Either Long Hair, Frizzy Hair, Cury Hair, Messy Hair, I'd Really Like To See MJ Without The Ponytail Looking Like Her Regular Version. Infact, By The Time Of Either The DLC Or The Sequel, I Really Would Like To See MJ Pregnant Or Carry A Child. Would Really Like To See How The Two Evolved As A Couple. You Think Either May Day Or Annie Would Do In This Game First?

You're asking a lot by hoping she's pregnant. It isn't necessary and she's not dumb enough to get like that before being ready for it. Annie or any version of Peter and Mary Jane's child is certain to NOT make an appearance in the game's anytime soon.

Despite liking the ponytail (though not the face completely), long hair with the three bangs are my go to option. Exactly as she looked in her first appearance. No curly or fizzly hair. It doesn't become her.

Eh, You Might Be Surprised If The Developers Of Insomniac Are Willing To Finally Make Peter A Father. I Mean, Seeing A Baby Annie Or May Day With Them Would Truly Bring A Smile To My Own Face :)

Also, While MJ Does Look Fine Enough To Me, I Could See Them Trying To Make Her A Bit More Pretty. Especially Since She's Growing Up. Also, As For The Hair, Eh, It Doesn't Really Matter. Long Hair, Frizzy Hair, Messy Hair, Curly Hair, Or Even A Majestic Style Hair, As Long As She's Beautiful And With Red Hair Then That's Fine. Though, If MJ And Peter Do Tie The Knot And If MJ Does End Up Pregnant, Then, I Wonder If We'll Also See A Few Marvel Heroes Make Some Appearances Giving Them Support For All the Adventures Peter(And Sometimes With MJ) Had On Them Like Johnny Storm Being There For Peter, Matt Murdock, Johnny, Logan, Luke, Danny, Tony, And A Few Others Throwing Him A Celebration And Sue, Jessica Drew, Jessica Jones, Jennifer Walters, Janet Van Dyne, And A Few Others Hanging Out With Them. Sure, They Might Be Super Powered And Not Entirely The Regular Spider-Man Casts(Except Arguably For Jessica Jones). But, It'd Be Nice To See Them Give The Two Their Full Support. Especially With All The Times Peter Spent With Them.

Avatar image for ursaber
#16 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, You Might Be Surprised If The Developers Of Insomniac Are Willing To Finally Make Peter A Father. I Mean, Seeing A Baby Annie Or May Day With Them Would Truly Bring A Smile To My Own Face :)

I won't be surprised. I know it won't happen. If by some one in a trillion chances it ends up happening. Cool. But the likeliness of it not happening is almost certain.

Avatar image for ursaber
#17 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for kiba
#18 Posted by kiba (3740 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: yes it was awesome, while it lasted.

Avatar image for ursaber
#19 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@kiba said:

@ursaber: yes it was awesome, while it lasted.

Well its a new experience for me. And after Spider Men II, we know the Ultimate Universe is back and so is Ultimate Peter and Ultimate Mary Jane. That's gotta count for something.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#20 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

Ultimate Peter and Mary Jane are almost as good as JMS Peter and Mary Jane. I can't believe all that I was missing by choosing not to read USM out of some pathetic inner perception.

From USM 78

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Damn great, I love this scene.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#21 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for krleavenger
#22 Posted by KrleAvenger (26075 posts) - - Show Bio

Mephisto kinda solos tho ;)

Avatar image for ursaber
#23 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: I love that scene now. But man, the Ultimate Universe is wacko. The thing I like the most of it is Peter and his dual life dilemma and high school drama with Mary Jane and friends. Its top notch. But man, the Goblins, the Nick Fury and the somehow WORSE Clone Saga were insane. Norman is even more of a psycho here than in the main universe. And all the other heroes are pieces of crap. Captain America, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Professor X, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, etc. They are terrible people, terrible heroes.

-

Oh and that image you posted of the I Heart Marvel Web of Romance, that's one of my favorite comics. The art is crap but the writing is cool.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#24 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@thor_parker82: I love that scene now. But man, the Ultimate Universe is wacko. The thing I like the most of it is Peter and his dual life dilemma and high school drama with Mary Jane and friends. Its top notch. But man, the Goblins, the Nick Fury and the somehow WORSE Clone Saga were insane. Norman is even more of a psycho here than in the main universe. And all the other heroes are pieces of crap. Captain America, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Professor X, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, etc. They are terrible people, terrible heroes.

-

Oh and that image you posted of the I Heart Marvel Web of Romance, that's one of my favorite comics. The art is crap but the writing is cool.

Yeah, I loved every single story arc except for Clone Saga, I don't know what the hell was going through Bendis' mind when he wrote that, it was out of character for everyone involved, it was badly structured, it was weird, it made no sense, and the way May reacted to Peter's identity was just wrong and I never saw her the same again, I could never forget how mean she was to Peter.

Web of Romance is great.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#25 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ursaber
#26 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I loved every single story arc except for Clone Saga, I don't know what the hell was going through Bendis' mind when he wrote that, it was out of character for everyone involved, it was badly structured, it was weird, it made no sense, and the way May reacted to Peter's identity was just wrong and I never saw her the same again, I could never forget how mean she was to Peter.

Web of Romance is great.

Who in their right mind would want to tackle the shitstorm that was the Clone Saga. I think I only liked the very first Clone Saga. It wasn't complicated or convoluted, Gwen and Spider Man were cloned and then they were disposed of. And it ended with Peter and Mary Jane having their first night together.

-

Oh and thanks for contributing to the thread!

Avatar image for zariusii
#27 Edited by ZariusII (5751 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Clone Saga was great, there were some parts that were weird (MJ becoming a demonic Goblin, which is never brought up again ever), and Ultimate Kaine/Scorpion is a freakshow with an unhealthy fixation on her, but I thought Aunt May's reaction to Peter's identity was emotional and quite "real" given how old Peter is...it's easier to think she was in the wrong for that, but Peter's still just a kid and May's motherly instincts would have been heightened by emotions that come with raising a vulnerable teenager.

And of course I love that this story is where Peter takes back Mary Jane, realising she can handled things after all, and declaring his love for her...though he fails to tell Kitty this and she finds out by watching the two of them kiss! I never liked Ultimate Kitty's relationship with Peter so I was quite pleased seeing her realise it was over between them that way. Led to some good friction later on between all three of them.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#28 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

Ultimate Clone Saga was great, there were some parts that were weird (MJ becoming a demonic Goblin, which is never brought up again ever), and Ultimate Kaine/Scorpion is a freakshow with an unhealthy fixation on her, but I thought Aunt May's reaction to Peter's identity was emotional and quite "real" given how old Peter is...it's easier to think she was in the wrong for that, but Peter's still just a kid and May's motherly instincts would have been heightened by emotions that come with raising a vulnerable teenager.

And of course I love that this story is where Peter takes back Mary Jane, realising she can handled things after all, and declaring his love for her...though he fails to tell Kitty this and she finds out by watching the two of them kiss! I never liked Ultimate Kitty's relationship with Peter so I was quite pleased seeing her realise it was over between them that way. Led to some good friction later on between all three of them.

I have to disagree with your points, especially the one regarding May's reaction, that was mean af and I never saw her the same again.

@ursaber said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Yeah, I loved every single story arc except for Clone Saga, I don't know what the hell was going through Bendis' mind when he wrote that, it was out of character for everyone involved, it was badly structured, it was weird, it made no sense, and the way May reacted to Peter's identity was just wrong and I never saw her the same again, I could never forget how mean she was to Peter.

Web of Romance is great.

Who in their right mind would want to tackle the shitstorm that was the Clone Saga. I think I only liked the very first Clone Saga. It wasn't complicated or convoluted, Gwen and Spider Man were cloned and then they were disposed of. And it ended with Peter and Mary Jane having their first night together.

-

Oh and thanks for contributing to the thread!

What did you think of May's reaction ?

Avatar image for ursaber
#29 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

Ultimate Clone Saga was great, there were some parts that were weird (MJ becoming a demonic Goblin, which is never brought up again ever), and Ultimate Kaine/Scorpion is a freakshow with an unhealthy fixation on her, but I thought Aunt May's reaction to Peter's identity was emotional and quite "real" given how old Peter is...it's easier to think she was in the wrong for that, but Peter's still just a kid and May's motherly instincts would have been heightened by emotions that come with raising a vulnerable teenager.

And of course I love that this story is where Peter takes back Mary Jane, realising she can handled things after all, and declaring his love for her...though he fails to tell Kitty this and she finds out by watching the two of them kiss! I never liked Ultimate Kitty's relationship with Peter so I was quite pleased seeing her realise it was over between them that way. Led to some good friction later on between all three of them.

It was Aunt May's enraged state and when she commanded Peter to leave, a fifteen year old, to go out on his own to get out of the Parker drama that was disconcerting.

-

I liked Kitty Pryde a lot here. She seemed like a dedicated girlfriend, a really good girl. She didn't deserve Peter two timing her like that. I wish they had ended things on better terms. But you know, Clone Sagas ruin every sense of rationality. I feel like this because I knew in the end Peter and Mary Jane would be together but a relationship with another super wasn't bad at all. Mary Jane has a lot of strength of will and loyalty, reminds me of JMS Mary Jane.

But I gotta say, there was a dip in quality in Bendis' writing after Clone Saga. When Mark Bagley was no longer the artist and was replaced by a then-not-so-good Stuart Immonem, the writing didn't feel as genuine or as good as before.

I know its a trope in this book but I hate everyone finding out Peter's identity.

Avatar image for ursaber
#30 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

What did you think of May's reaction ?

Her being in utter shock after the death of Ben and Gwen and constantly being worried about Peter was normal.

It was Aunt May's enraged state and when she commanded Peter to leave, a fifteen year old, to go out on his own to get out of the Parker drama that was disconcerting.

Avatar image for ursaber
#31 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter

@zariusii

I find this to be a weird thing to bring up or ask about but, here goes.

Now that I've finished reading USM, I find that I really really really like the teenage romance of Peter and Mary Jane here. It was deep and mature and loyal and unconditional.

There's even this great scene in USM 78 (I posted it above) of Mary Jane just expressing how much he loves Peter and that everything about him is special.

But, why does Mary Jane love Peter in the first place. There's this love between them but how did it... originate exactly? Sure they're childhood friends, best friends and then Peter became Spider Man, he confided in Mary Jane but... I get stuck on the but. Could one of you offer me some clarity on this?

Avatar image for animehunter
#32 Edited by animehunter (8703 posts) - - Show Bio
@ursaber said:

@animehunter

@zariusii

I find this to be a weird thing to bring up or ask about but, here goes.

Now that I've finished reading USM, I find that I really really really like the teenage romance of Peter and Mary Jane here. It was deep and mature and loyal and unconditional.

There's even this great scene in USM 78 (I posted it above) of Mary Jane just expressing how much he loves Peter and that everything about him is special.

But, why does Mary Jane love Peter in the first place. There's this love between them but how did it... originate exactly? Sure they're childhood friends, best friends and then Peter became Spider Man, he confided in Mary Jane but... I get stuck on the but. Could one of you offer me some clarity on this?

me, asked the same question as you. but, do you know what I told myself.

I didn't care, the fact that they loved each other was more than enough for me, I didn't need to know why, only that, they do.

Avatar image for ursaber
#33 Edited by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii:

@animehunter said:

me, asked the same question as you. but, do you know what I told myself.

I didn't care, the fact that they loved each other was more than enough for me, I didn't need to know why, only that, they do.

That was a little rough.

I get and understand what you say and all.

I just want to get to the root of the "why" so I can have a better understanding of it all and not just be, they love each other, end of story. What was the attraction in the first place, what was the pull that kept her coming back to him even after all the craziness, etc.

Avatar image for animehunter
#34 Posted by animehunter (8703 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@zariusii:

@animehunter said:

me, asked the same question as you. but, do you know what I told myself.

I didn't care, the fact that they loved each other was more than enough for me, I didn't need to know why, only that, they do.

That was a little rough.

I get and understand what you say and all.

I just want to get to the root of the "why" so I can have a better understanding of it all and not just be, they love each other, end of story. What was the attraction in the first place, what was the pull that kept her coming back to him even after all the craziness, etc.

If I was to say anything, although as far as I know it was never explained in the comic, I would say since they grew up together, were neighbours and did everything together, they slowly began to have affection for each other and trust each more than they trust anyone else, which was why Peter told Mary Jane about his Spider powers as soon as he got them.

that would be the best explanation I can come up with.

Avatar image for zariusii
#35 Posted by ZariusII (5751 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber Sometimes childhood/best friend romances don't need a reason, they've been practically family from a very young age and as anime says, they trust each other with their secrets, pros and cons.

Avatar image for ursaber
#36 Edited by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: @animehunter:

Understood. Shared childhood, they've been their only friends and best friends for the longest time, there's a primordial sense of trust and reliability that's in the core of their being for both of them in regards to the other. Even after being broken up or separated and spending a rather short amount of time either alone or with others, they still come back to each other.

I ask because at several times during the series, for two fifteen year olds, the talk about being together forever, marriage, etc, while I wholly believed they were serious about that, well, they're still teenagers and have growing up to do. Premature is the word.

Edit: They've always been together since childhood and they don't know of another way to be and that there's more out there. Yeah, that's the thing at the back of my head I wanted to state. But I guess after a the roughest year of their lives with the whole superhero drama and the supervillains testing them throughout, I can see their affection tempered and forged into true love (man those final two words felt cheesy to say LOL).

-

And now for main 616. What's the best answer you can give me in regards to that.

To me, its that they need each other to survive. They complement each other's strength and faults. They need each other because they bring out the best in the other, the other makes them want to be a better person. There's absolute trust and loyalty.

What's yours?

Avatar image for animehunter
#37 Posted by animehunter (8703 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@zariusii: @animehunter:

And now for main 616. What's the best answer you can give me in regards to that.

To me, its that they need each other to survive. They complement each other's strength and faults. They need each other because they bring out the best in the other, the other makes them want to be a better person. There's absolute trust and loyalty.

What's yours?

Same thought, Mary Jane needs Peter, Peter needs Mary Jane, Spider-Man needs Mary Jane, without her, there is no Spider-Man, at least to me. Mary Jane keeps Spider-Man/Peter focused, She's what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man, she the second half of Spider-Man. and is the main reason these past 10 years Spider-Man just did not feel like Spider-Man. He was missing something, something that gave him purpose, and she was that purpose.

Avatar image for ursaber
#38 Edited by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter said:
@ursaber said:

@zariusii: @animehunter:

And now for main 616. What's the best answer you can give me in regards to that.

To me, its that they need each other to survive. They complement each other's strength and faults. They need each other because they bring out the best in the other, the other makes them want to be a better person. There's absolute trust and loyalty.

What's yours?

Same thought, Mary Jane needs Peter, Peter needs Mary Jane, Spider-Man needs Mary Jane, without her, there is no Spider-Man, at least to me. Mary Jane keeps Spider-Man/Peter focused, She's what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man, she the second half of Spider-Man. and is the main reason these past 10 years Spider-Man just did not feel like Spider-Man. He was missing something, something that gave him purpose, and she was that purpose.

Nothing gives a hero more drive than the love and companionship of the perfect woman. He believes he's making the world a better place as Spider Man, but she's the one he's primarily making the world better FOR.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#39 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@animehunter said:
@ursaber said:

@zariusii: @animehunter:

And now for main 616. What's the best answer you can give me in regards to that.

To me, its that they need each other to survive. They complement each other's strength and faults. They need each other because they bring out the best in the other, the other makes them want to be a better person. There's absolute trust and loyalty.

What's yours?

Same thought, Mary Jane needs Peter, Peter needs Mary Jane, Spider-Man needs Mary Jane, without her, there is no Spider-Man, at least to me. Mary Jane keeps Spider-Man/Peter focused, She's what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man, she the second half of Spider-Man. and is the main reason these past 10 years Spider-Man just did not feel like Spider-Man. He was missing something, something that gave him purpose, and she was that purpose.

Nothing gives a hero more drive than the love and companionship of the perfect woman. He believes he's making the world a better place as Spider Man, but she's the one he's primarily making the world better FOR.

Well said.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ursaber
#40 Edited by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82:

LOL. That's where I got it from. Spider Man Unlimited Issue 2. My second favorite Spider Marriage comic.

Edit: When I read those dialogue bubbles I actually had romantic affection towards Peter. That's how good the writing here was. That's a lady killer line there.

Avatar image for thor_parker82
#41 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16365 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: I'm guessing the first place is taken by the Matt Fraction Annual ?

Avatar image for ursaber
#42 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: I'm guessing the first place is taken by the Matt Fraction Annual ?

Yup.

And a new entry in my favorites is USM 78 where MJ pretty much expresses how deep her love for Peter goes. It was a good one.

Avatar image for ursaber
#44 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: @animehunter:

Quick question, when did Mary Jane return to ASM following her "departure" in the 1970's?

I'm reading back to old ASM for some good Spider Man reading while I wait for the new issues.

Avatar image for zariusii
#45 Edited by ZariusII (5751 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber MJ came back during Roger Stern's run on ASM. She walked in on Peter just as someone was making out with him, it was awkward as you can imagine (at least for the girl kissing him). MJ was cool about it though and teased him a bit.

anime will probably help you with the issue number.

Avatar image for ursaber
#47 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio

@animehunter:

@zariusii said:

@ursaber MJ came back during Roger Stern's run on ASM. She walked in on Peter just as someone was making out with him, it was awkward as you can imagine (at least for the girl kissing him). MJ was cool about it though and teased him a bit.

anime will probably help you with the issue number.

That's what I'm hoping for.

I began in 250 but went back to 249 because in the chronology I have there was a three issue arc between 249 - 251.

Mary Jane appeared in 249 at a pool party in Liz and Harry's place. Peter was dressed like a gay guy with extremely small shorts and a a black "animal" shirt with his lower torso all exposed LOL.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for animehunter
#48 Posted by animehunter (8703 posts) - - Show Bio
@ursaber said:

@zariusii: @animehunter:

Quick question, when did Mary Jane return to ASM following her "departure" in the 1970's?

I'm reading back to old ASM for some good Spider Man reading while I wait for the new issues.

She leaves the book in Issue #201 and we don't see her again until #238, fully returning #241

Avatar image for ursaber
#49 Posted by ursaber (10139 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for knightwriteri
#50 Posted by knightwriteri (741 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as Mary Jane's attraction to Peter in the 80's era I'd say it was her awareness that he brought out the best in her enabled some self love from the positive effect they have on each other after the years of feeling bad for abandoning her sister. You break either character down into am equation and the other is exactly what they need.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.