Peter Parker isn't special anymore

• 75 results
#51 Posted by TrustNoOne22 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

6) Peter isn't special compared to other heroes, he's not one of a kind he's more a in the middle rookie that relies on luck and cunning. The fact he is one the moral pillars of the Marvel World he still has not proven himself equal or better to heroes like Cap, the X Men, the Fantastic Four etc due to his indecisive and insecure nature. False. Peter has more than proven his worth several times over, saving countless lives of civilians and fellow superheroes alike. Yes, he has an indecisive and insecure nature, but this does not prevent him from being an amazing hero. He's a middle power-level superhero, but not a rookie, he's a top tier hero not just because of his powerset, but because of his undying devotion to help others.

Yet, Cap and Ironman will always be twice the hero and savior he ever will and has saved his life more than once as well. Peter proves his worth as much as the Human Torch, Captain Marvel(Carrol) and Night Crawler but he'll never be THE hero that is renown for being the example of being better than others at that area like Cap, Thor, Daredevil, even Vision. He's amazing as a on a smaller scope, but despite that people weaker and with no super powers are more than capable to order him around and be more capable than him in taking on world wide to cosmic level threats on a daily basis.

He's a rookie because he's not shown Cap or Tony level decision making skills and strtegies to lead or attack more than one instance of crime and villains or build technology\(up until slott) to handle threats outside of city threats and build his own company out of such skills(That was Ock who is still more abstractly smarter than Peter ever will be).

#52 Posted by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

6) Peter isn't special compared to other heroes, he's not one of a kind he's more a in the middle rookie that relies on luck and cunning. The fact he is one the moral pillars of the Marvel World he still has not proven himself equal or better to heroes like Cap, the X Men, the Fantastic Four etc due to his indecisive and insecure nature. False. Peter has more than proven his worth several times over, saving countless lives of civilians and fellow superheroes alike. Yes, he has an indecisive and insecure nature, but this does not prevent him from being an amazing hero. He's a middle power-level superhero, but not a rookie, he's a top tier hero not just because of his powerset, but because of his undying devotion to help others.

Yet, Cap and Ironman will always be twice the hero and savior he ever will and has saved his life more than once as well. Peter proves his worth as much as the Human Torch, Captain Marvel(Carrol) and Night Crawler but he'll never be THE hero that is renown for being the example of being better than others at that area like Cap, Thor, Daredevil, even Vision. He's amazing as a on a smaller scope, but despite that people weaker and with no super powers are more than capable to order him around and be more capable than him in taking on world wide to cosmic level threats on a daily basis.

He's a rookie because he's not shown Cap or Tony level decision making skills and strtegies to lead or attack more than one instance of crime and villains or build technology\(up until slott) to handle threats outside of city threats and build his own company out of such skills(That was Ock who is still more abstractly smarter than Peter ever will be).

Why are Cap and Iron Man twice the hero he will ever be? That "people weaker and with no super powers are more than capable to order him around" may be a personal choice as a result of Peter's humility. If not, it's because he doesn't have enough experience leading teams. Cap and Iron Man both trained for years in being a part of and leading teams, while Spider-Man has mostly been a loner. When you say amazing on a smaller scope, it's misleading in the sense that- here, just read the following scan.

No Caption Provided

How many people can Cap and Iron Man say they've saved independently? Furthermore, by your definition, everyone in a company or team who's not a CEO, manager, or leader in some respect is a rookie. Does the fact that Ock built his company implies that Spider-Man is a rookie at company-building or company running? Not necessarily (although as Mr. Slott is writing Peter, he is an irresponsible manager that should not be in a CEO position. At least now, Anna Maria is running the company.)

Is Batman a rookie because he usually remains in Gotham to protect it? Or is Superman a rookie because his main locale is Metropolis? I think not, and neither is Spider-Man just because up until before ASM Vol. 4, he stayed in New York.

P.S. "That was Ock who is still more abstractly smarter than Peter ever will be." This is debatable, and I don't agree with this completely.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#53 Edited by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: Continue to serve the troll and give them facts about the amazing hero. Peter Parker is.

#54 Posted by ursaber (10648 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: Continue to serve the troll and give them facts about the amazing hero. Peter Parker is.

Said troll bitches about being a Spider Man fan and here he is berating and demeaning him.

#55 Posted by FearSinestro (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Excluding Miles all these Spider people need to die

#56 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: For real dude. This assclown claim to be a PP/Spidey fan. But continuously disrespects and demean him. It's disgusting.

#57 Posted by Mizerous (728 posts) - - Show Bio

@fearsinestro: Yeah shove Jessica, Gwen, and Cindy into fridges. -_-

#58 Edited by ursaber (10648 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: For real dude. This assclown claim to be a PP/Spidey fan. But continuously disrespects and demean him. It's disgusting.

The best possible insult would be to ignore the troll.

#59 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: That's what I do. The guy is a bad joke.

#60 Posted by FearSinestro (251 posts) - - Show Bio
#61 Edited by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@mizerous said:

@fearsinestro: Yeah shove Jessica, Gwen, and Cindy into fridges. -_-

When you put it like that... :-(

Seriously though, I would like it if the number of Spider-People diminished. Gwen can stay because she's in a different dimension. Same logic applies for 2099, Noir, and anyone else not in the 616.

Cindy, Jessica....Jessica should stay because she's the original Spider-Woman. Cindy I like, even though that contradicts bringing down the number of Spider-People.

Because here's the problem:

616 Spider-People

• Peter Parker (Spider-Man)
  • Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman)
  • Miles Morales (Spider-Man)
  • Cindy Moon (Silk)
  • Kaine Parker (Scarlet Spider)
  • Ben Reilly (Scarlet Spider)
  • Jessica Carpenter (Madame Web)

Non-616 Spider-People

• Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099)
  • Peter Parker (Spider-Man Noir)
  • Gwen Stacy (Spider-Woman/Spider-Gwen)
  • Anya Corazon (Spider-Girl)
  • Peter Parker (Spider-Man)/Mary Jane Watson-Parker (Spinneret)/Anna-May Parker (Spiderling)

A lot of us Spider-Fans love all these characters. Like, a lot. But there are 6 Spider-Books featuring 10 Spider-Men/Women/Children, and while it's fun, it makes Peter look less important.

Which, now that you bring it up, makes me realize the only reason I dislike so many Spider-People is because Peter is written so sub-par in the main universe. Combined with all the other Spider-People, there's less of a reason to read his book.

#63 Posted by ursaber (10648 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks:

Anya Corazon originates from 616.

Its also, JULIA Carpenter, not Jessica.

I'd narrow down the list of 616 Spider People to just

1. Peter Parker
    1. Miles Morales (male sidekick protege)
  2. Jessica Drew
    1. Anya Corazon (female sidekick) (can go either way on keeping her or getting rid of her)

Spider Comic Books

• ASM
  • ASM RYV (BEST EVER)
  • Spider Man Miles Morales
  • Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider
  • Spider Woman (cancelled)
  • Silk (cancelled)
  • Spider Gwen
  • Spider Man 2099 (ending in issue 25)

• Spectacular Spider Man (upcoming)
#64 Edited by Dernman (26381 posts) - - Show Bio

There should only be Spider-Man Peter Parker and Spider-Woman Jessica Drew. In the universe. It doesn't matter if they have a running book or not.

Exceptions may be made for out of main universe characters.

#65 Posted by ursaber (10648 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

There should only be Spider-Man Peter Parker and Spider-Woman Jessica Drew. In the universe. It doesn't matter if they have a running book or not.

Exceptions may be made for out of main universe characters.

Agreed. Sadly Miles Morales isn't going anywhere.

#66 Posted by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@bjparks:

Anya Corazon originates from 616.

Its also, JULIA Carpenter, not Jessica.

I'd narrow down the list of 616 Spider People to just

1. Peter Parker
    1. Miles Morales (male sidekick protege)
  2. Jessica Drew
    1. Anya Corazon (female sidekick) (can go either way on keeping her or getting rid of her)

Spider Comic Books

• ASM
  • ASM RYV (BEST EVER)
  • Spider Man Miles Morales
  • Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider
  • Spider Woman (cancelled)
  • Silk (cancelled)
  • Spider Gwen
  • Spider Man 2099 (ending in issue 25)
  • Spectacular Spider Man (upcoming)

I know, but Anya is still off-world with the Web Warriors.

Too true, thanks for the correction.

Really, Silk is getting cancelled?

#67 Posted by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks:

Nah...

We have yet to see an Asian Spiderman (well not officially) Indian Spiderman, Eskimo Spiderman, Spider gay, Spider Butch, Spider Tran, Gender Fluid Spider,

Actually, there is an Indian Spider-Man. A pretty unique take, if you ask me. Looks like your list just got a little shorter. :)

Here's the thing too: personal beliefs aside, I don't mind diversity a) if it isn't shoehorned in, and b) if it doesn't come at the expense of the original.

I'm even a little slack on a) (Silk is a good example: terrible intro in terms of character development, but diverse character that could have staying power if she was written well). I dislike b), which is what Marvel has been consumed by: a need to validate the diverse by eliminating the original.

I completely understand why they're doing it though: it's hard to write compelling characters. If every single comic book Marvel or DC wrote was written compellingly, sales would be through the roof. It wouldn't be a matter of diversity as much as choice, belief, and affinity to art style. Some people are prejudiced, but most people just want to read a good story. But again, it's hard to write compelling characters. So, people fall back on the comfortable as opposed to the diverse. Do you want what you've always loved, even if it's not as good, or the "newer" model that may be better, or may be worse? Pick your poison.

I don't know how to fix it, but until it does get fixed, this "diversity" issue is going to be debated hotly and fiercely for a long, long while....

@blacksuit@marvelman92@itsaworld@ursaber@amazingfantasy@animehunter@Elbarto17@zariusii@eto@mizerous@magnetic_eye@g2_@theheaven_guardian10:

Thoughts?

#68 Posted by ursaber (10648 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks:

Anya is still a resident of Earth 616. Whether she's with the disbanded Web Warriors or not, or travelling through dimensions, she's still 616.

And yes, Silk has been cancelled just like Spider Woman.

#69 Posted by ursaber (10648 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks

Diversity isn't bad and I don't condemn it, I just don't care for it.

Marvel has made a mockery of diversity and right now that's the perception I carry around in my head. Regardless of that I don't go into comics or any form of entertainment to get in the middle of a racial or sexuality discussion, or into political ideologies and debates.

I am a consumer, not a retailer or publisher. I don't look for things to please an audience. I am a singular being who speaks only for himself and has only ever expressed his opinion, not trying to dictate policy (which I sometimes would like to but that is just "wishing").

I look to a product that I can enjoy myself. What others like or don't is irrelevant to me and ultimately beyond myself or my control. As such, like every other consumer, I look for things that I personally like with the goal of enjoying myself without any political strata, indoctrination, etc. I go into a store knowing what I want and what I'm going to buy and the themes I like such as action, family, romance, suspense, adventure, etc. Get in and get out plain and simple.

Plainly this is what I like:

• Comic book romances
  • Relatable characters where I identify with the hero to the point where I can place myself as him in the story. Or just being plain cool.
  • Themes of family, romance, action, adventure, inner turmoil, suspense, betrayal, etc.
  • The powers and outfits of the heroes also have to be to my personal appeal
  • Immersion

Which is why I like:

• Spider Man RYV
  • Aquaman
  • Invincible
  • X-Men (OG Jean, OG Cyclops, Magneto)
  • Moon Knight
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws
  • Infamous Iron Man
  • Thor

#71 Posted by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks:

Was it a Native American "Indian" or an Indian "Indian"? cause i could switch to the other which isnt available just to make my list measurement consistent.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for danteisterrible
#72 Posted by Danteisterrible (204 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread disgusts me, Peter Parker is a foundational hero for the comic book genre and big enough to get the marvel setting centered on him.

Of course he's a hero who is gonna leave a legacy of other heroes taking his mantle in order to honor the name of the Spider-man legend, he's basically a legend like Captain America and Reed Richards, he needs to be more active in leading younger heroes that have his abilites as a sign of his seasoned experience.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#73 Posted by christianrapper (6524 posts) - - Show Bio

there are alternate versions of almost every hero. i don't get the whining. there are a million supermen, a bunch of hulks, countless green lanterns, etc.

#74 Posted by kgb725 (19897 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter is the heart of the marvel universe. Silk is not on his level , Miles looks up to Peter , Kaine is the Jason Todd of the spider family, Gwen is her own thing , etc.

Peter inspired Hope Summers during AvX when she couldn't handle the Phoenix , is thought of to be one of the best people wolverine has ever met and letting him teach at his school shows how much faith he truly has in him , while Franklin Richard's felt guilty about possibly being the cause of Johnny storms death Peter told him about Uncle Ben and helped cheer him up

While every other member is better at a certain aspect Peter is the ultimate package and even though he's thought of as a dork by most of the marvel universe he eventually commands respect

#75 Posted by AbstractRaze (3149 posts) - - Show Bio

Just be direct and blame the incompetent bullshit of Disney, the more poisonous is the criticism the better the outcome, so that incompetent authors are fired.

#77 Posted by FromAPOV (106 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.