Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Overpowered?!

• 78 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d9d7fe24829
    deactivated-57d9d7fe24829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My buddy Miky once told me that he honestly thinks that Spider-Man is overpowered. While I respect everyone's opinion, it didn't make any sense to me. Spidey is my favorite superhero of all time, but I can name at least 30 people in Marvel alone that can beat Spidey. 

Does anyone else get this? 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_
    @DarkSpidey21 said:
    " My buddy Miky once told me that he honestly thinks that Spider-Man is overpowered. While I respect everyone's opinion, it didn't make any sense to me. Spidey is my favorite superhero of all time, but I can name at least 30 people in Marvel alone that can beat Spidey.  Does anyone else get this?  "
    I agree with you. 
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PumpkinBomb

I personally find him refreshingly vulnerable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PumpkinBomb:
    @The Dark Huntress:  
    That's what I tried to tell him. But he said his spider-sense made him to over the top. But spider-sense isn't perfect. Not even mine.  ;p
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Spider-Man is very powerful for a street level character (widely considered the pinnacle of street level characters due to his physical abilities). But he is not at all overpowered in comparison to other characters.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Theworldbreaker

He thinks his spider sense is too over the top? i'm surprised he does'etn complain about islver surfer with his cosmic awarness thats like spider sense on steroids. plus Silver Surfer is alot more "overpowerd" then spiderman is.

Dupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Dupe

Depends on who you're comparing him to =)

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Magian
    @Dupe said:
    " Depends on who you're comparing him to =) "
    This.
    novakidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By novakidx

well I've seen spiderman get beat pretty bad [consider i'm reading back issues right now] and he has a bunch of family and friends that villans can attack [if they knew]

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#10  Edited By Deadcool
    @DarkSpidey21 said:
    " That's what I tried to tell him. But he said his spider-sense made him to over the top. But spider-sense isn't perfect. Not even mine.  ;p "
    His spider-sense is perfect, but he is not perfect.
    Spider-man itself is an awesome character and is the most powerful street level superhero, but he couldn't deal with global threats unless he gets help, he is overpowered being as street level superhero, but he could be easily outmashed by anyone that is not street level, spider-man powers would let him to defeat any person with a physical weakness within his skills, someone without weakness could defeat Spider-man easily, unless he uses his intelect to overcome the problem.
     He can defeat anyone with a physical weakness
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By spidey 15

As a street leveler if he use his powers in a serious way, he is actually pretty powerful. 
    But in general, there are way more powerful characters than him. 
    =]

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By batmanary

I find the spider-sense is actually pretty toned down, and I actually think that the 'Other' powers should return.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Theworldbreaker:    
    @Dupe
    said:

"Depends on who you're comparing him to =) " 

It's funny you should say that, especially when Miky loves characters like Thor and Hulk. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " I find the spider-sense is actually pretty toned down, and I actually think that the 'Other' powers should return. "
    Why? So he can never use half of them outside of their first appearance? AGAIN?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deadcool said:
    " @DarkSpidey21 said:
    " That's what I tried to tell him. But he said his spider-sense made him to over the top. But spider-sense isn't perfect. Not even mine.  ;p "
    His spider-sense is perfect, but he is not perfect.
    Spider-man itself is an awesome character and is the most powerful street level superhero, but he couldn't deal with global threats unless he gets help, he is overpowered being as street level superhero, but he could be easily outmashed by anyone that is not street level, spider-man powers would let him to defeat any person with a physical weakness within his skills, someone without weakness could defeat Spider-man easily, unless he uses his intelect to overcome the problem.
    "

To be fair I think Spidey's character all around is perfect for what it is. IMO. What I was saying was that different villians have found shortcomings with his spider-sense. Like Venom, Green oblin, or The Spot.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

His rogues gallery usually dwarf him in power, Spidey is the most underpowered character with relation to the foes they often fight in comic books. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt:
    Exactly. It tried to tell him that Spidey really wins most of his fights outsmarting his foe(s). Like Electro for example. He could possibly be one of Spidey's strongest villians, a force of nature. But a combination of his low self-esteem, and Spidey's intellegence keeps losing streak going.
    StriderX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StriderX

I love spidey, but if anything he is underpowered in some aspects.  I would like to see his Other powers come back. The boost in stats is needed and it would be cool if he was more spider/insect like again, ie. night vision, bond with spiders, etc.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @DarkSpidey21: I agree, and what about Sandman? The guy is fundamentally invulnerable, were it not for the fact he's a moron, Spidey would be dead 100 times over by now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt:
    Very true. Also guy lke Rhino could take him out if he came up with a plan first. Not to mention that the many times he fought the Hulk. While never really winning, he's never died due to intellect.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By batmanary
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    " I find the spider-sense is actually pretty toned down, and I actually think that the 'Other' powers should return. "
    Why? So he can never use half of them outside of their first appearance? AGAIN? "
    There are many interesting ways and story aspects that the powers could be used in. Just because the writer didn't use them means nothing, because they're still really intriguing. Plus the organic webbing was a natural step.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    Why? So he can never use half of them outside of their first appearance? AGAIN? "
    There are many interesting ways and story aspects that the powers could be used in. Just because the writer didn't use them means nothing, because they're still really intriguing.Plus the organic webbing was a great way to totally imitate the movies and was just utterly unnecessary. "
    Fixed.
    thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thegreatfour
    @InnerVenom123: LOL
    Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Whitley

Spidey depends on the writer, in Secret Wars..  

Spidey single handedly gives the X-Men (Cyclops, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Pitor Rasputin) a serious beatdown.  Only Xavier is able to stop him (via a mind wipe of what Spidey saw) from telling Reed Richards the X-Men are leaving to join Magneto.  

He also gave a whupping to Titania right after she got her super powers from Doom. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mercy_
    @Whitley said:
    "
    Spidey depends on the writer, in Secret Wars..   Spidey single handedly gives the X-Men (Cyclops, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Pitor Rasputin) a serious beatdown.  Only Xavier is able to stop him (via a mind wipe of what Spidey saw) from telling Reed Richards the X-Men are leaving to join Magneto.   He also gave a whupping to Titania right after she got her super powers from Doom.   "
    When was this?
    Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

I don't know he seems pretty fine with me.   

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By batmanary
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    There are many interesting ways and story aspects that the powers could be used in. Just because the writer didn't use them means nothing, because they're still really intriguing.Plus the organic webbing was a great way to totally imitate the movies and was just utterly unnecessary. "
    Fixed. "
    I know it was from the movies, but I think the days of Spidey losing his webbing on a daily basis are over, and the powers matured the character. At this point, He just moved back into the 70s and there should be some growth in the character. I know he has a new job, and a different costume, and it's a good start, but omitting the powers is just like a lazy way to simply retcon everthing crappy, in Spidey's life. Maybe even the Clone Saga didn't happen, but even if that story was awful, it was a part of Spidey's history, same with the powers, taking them out and some things before simply alienates readers from,JMS run, and basically everything from the late 80s/early 90s IMHO.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    Fixed. "
    I know it was from the movies, but I think the days of Spidey losing his webbing on a daily basis are over, and the powers matured the character. At this point, He just moved back into the 70s and there should be some growth in the character. I know he has a new job, and a different costume, and it's a good start, but omitting the powers is just like a lazy way to simply retcon everthing crappy, in Spidey's life. Maybe even the Clone Saga didn't happen, but even if that story was awful, it was a part of Spidey's history, same with the powers, taking them out and some things before simply alienates readers from,JMS run, and basically everything from the late 80s/early 90s IMHO. "
    He didn't even have organic webbing until JMS's run....... how does that count as 80s and early 90s?

When did anyone say the Clone Saga was non-canon?
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By batmanary
    @InnerVenom123: I just meant in general, not with the powers in general.
    Plus with Clone Saga, I was just making a point, not saying it isn't non-canon, but to me it seems that they just took away all the character and story growth from the 90s etc.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123: I just meant in general, not with the powers in general. Plus with Clone Saga, I was just making a point, not saying it isn't non-canon, but to me it seems that they just took away all the character and story growth from the 90s etc. "
    Taking away character growth from the 90s in Peter's case is a good thing.

HE SMACKED MARY JANE WHEN SHE WAS PREGNANT.

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By batmanary
    @InnerVenom123: SERIOUSLY??? btw from the 90s to today. So JMS' run was just erased. Plus I thought being a teacher worked for Spidey.
    spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spiderbuck1
    @StriderX said:
    " I love spidey, but if anything he is underpowered in some aspects.  I would like to see his Other powers come back. The boost in stats is needed and it would be cool if he was more spider/insect like again, ie. night vision, bond with spiders, etc. "
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123: SERIOUSLY??? btw from the 90s to today. So JMS' run was just erased. Plus I thought being a teacher worked for Spidey. "
    Yes, seriously.

It did, but his current job is about ten thousand times better than the 'I'm going to help out one of my less fortunate student's schtick. JMS's run was awesome until after Ezekiel died. Then it just got mediocre.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batmanary
    @InnerVenom123: It sorta gave Spidey the average Joe look on the world, and helping students out and stuff made him relatable to regular people. Becoming a scientist stealing tech...not so much.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123: It sorta gave Spidey the average Joe look on the world, and helping students out and stuff made him relatable to regular people. Becoming a scientist stealing tech...not so much. "
    He's a freaking genius, why shouldn't he live up to his potential? And it's not stealing if he does his job and gives them an invention. Using it as Spider-man could very well considered a TEST RUN.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By batmanary
    @InnerVenom123: Yeah he is a genius, but Spidey's always been an average guy. Plus he could have made SO.MUCH. MONEY from the webshooters alone lol.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123: Yeah he is a genius, but Spidey's always been an average guy. Plus he could have made SO.MUCH. MONEY from the webshooters alone lol. "
    He can't sell those because he'd have to patent them and that would put people he cares about in danger. This was explained for the hell of it in 'Invincible Iron Man' #6 during their team up.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batmanary

If he had done it before becoming Spidey, He would have solved his Aunt's financial problems and gone on to become a rich @$$, who could then make a Spider corps, but no one wants to read that...

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:
    " @InnerVenom123: I just meant in general, not with the powers in general. Plus with Clone Saga, I was just making a point, not saying it isn't non-canon, but to me it seems that they just took away all the character and story growth from the 90s etc. "

"
    To be fair, he didn't know it was her. He was fighting Ben, she touched his shoulder, he instinctively hit her without noticing who actually touched him.

Anyway, JMS did a lot of things, but organic webbing was not one of them (he just picked up on it). That was courtesy of Paul Jenkins from the Queen storyarc in Marvel Knights: Spider-Man.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deadcool
    @DarkSpidey21 said:

"To be fair I think Spidey's character all around is perfect for what it is. IMO. What I was saying was that different villians have found shortcomings with his spider-sense. Like Venom, Green goblin, or The Spot. "

Spider-man is perfect as character, and he has awesome superpowers, and has the nicest villains gallery, but he is not a perfect fighter, that was what I mean.
    Also, I think that his Spider-sense is ok, I mean his levels are ok, he is not that overpowered and at least some of the weakness make sense.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Deadcool

@I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:

" I don't know he seems pretty fine with me.   

"

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By batmanary
    @Morpheus_ said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:

"
    To be fair, he didn't know it was her. He was fighting Ben, she touched his shoulder, he instinctively hit her without noticing who actually touched him.

Anyway, JMS did a lot of things, but organic webbing was not one of them (he just picked up on it). That was courtesy of Paul Jenkins from the Queen storyarc in Marvel Knights: Spider-Man.
    "
    I swore it started in the Other.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @batmanary said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:

"

"
    I swore it started in the Other. "
    The Other was published December 2005-March 2006. Jenkins' " Changes" storyarc preceded it by at least a year (September 2004-December 2004).

But it was in Spectacular Spider-Man volume 2, and not MK: Spider-Man; I misremembered the title.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PrinceIMC

If anything I'd say he's underpowered compared to his accomplishments.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " If anything I'd say he's underpowered compared to his accomplishments. "
    Agreed.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By batmanary
    @Morpheus_ said:
    " @batmanary said:
    " @Morpheus_ said:
    " @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @batmanary said:

"

"
    I swore it started in the Other. "
    The Other was published December 2005-March 2006. Jenkins' " Changes" storyarc preceded it by at least a year (September 2004-December 2004).

But it was in Spectacular Spider-Man volume 2, and not MK: Spider-Man; I misremembered the title.
    "
    Good to know.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @batmanary:No problem. Do not bother with "Changes" though. Not a good story.
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#48  Edited By AssertingValor

Spidy is a good character as he is.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By batmanary
    @Morpheus_: How bad is it on a scale of 1 to 10?
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @batmanary said:
    " @Morpheus_: How bad is it on a scale of 1 to 10? "
    Well, Peter is slowly changing into a giant spider, and Mary Jane's only concern is to take him into a Klingon cosplay wedding. So, I'd say, pretty bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.