Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Should Heroes Be Allowed To Change Costumes?

• 76 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    Let's just be clear, I'm not asking if they should be able to change out of their costumes to wash it. Piggybacking off of the topic of whether or not superheroes should be able to change their names, another thing that occurs is a hero will suddenly completely change their look.

No one wants to wear the same thing every day. It's safe to say that most of us do change our outfits all the time. When you're a superhero, your "look" is part of your identity. Imagine what the citizens of Metropolis must have been thinking when Superman suddenly went with an electric new look. The hero they felt they could always trust and would always be there for them suddenly changed. How could they know this was the same hero? Along with the new look, he even sort of had a mask on. What was the reason for that. For all they knew, this could have been an impostor claiming to be the Man of Steel.

Just as heroes should carefully choose a name, should they also carefully choose their look and stick with it?
     == TEASER ==
    Most people don't like change. When it comes to having a superhero protect your town, you want to know you can rely on that hero. If suddenly they change their look, especially if they're wearing a mask, there will be some concern over who this newly dressed person is. 

Perhaps it's not fair to use Superman as an example since he didn't necessarily choose to become a blue lightning bolt. His classic costume has become a symbol of hope and justice to the world. If he did willingly change his costume, people might not feel as safe. 

Should that also apply to their costume?
     Should that also apply to their costume?
    It's also interesting that often when heroes change their look, they usually return to their original costume. Spider-Man's biggest change was going to the black suit. Even after some other changes, including the " iron spider" look, he's always returned to his red and blue suit. Iron Man has tweaked his armor over the years but when he went with the Silver Centurion look and changed the color scheme, that didn't last long either. And I won't even go into what Jean-Paul Valley started wearing during his time as Batman. Also, poor Janet Van Dyne, could never decide on look despite being a fashion designer and look at her superhero "career" today.

A heroes look is part of who they are, just as their name is. There needs to be some thought when choosing a look as well as choosing a name. Changing things on a whim will simply confuse people. With all the villains running around, the citizens need some stability. They need to know what heroes they can count on. When a hero constantly changes their look, it could give the impression that they're not really sure what they're doing or trying to accomplish. The only hero that has an excuse in changing their original costume is Daredevil. We can overlook his first costume choice since he's blind.
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HaloKing343

I think they should be able to change as long as the style stays the same. Like the Captain America switch wasn't too major but it was updated just a little bit to keep up with the changing modern times.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

I will say the same thing I said in the names(well almost). Heroes like Superman, Batman or Spiderman change their costumes but they always return to the original costume. Lesser known heroes tend to change their costumes, they haven't achieved an iconic status. For example She-Hulk changes her costume all the time, there is no costume that can be identified with her.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Depends on the hero Superman I would say should never change his costume 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By doordoor123

New costume = bad.
    New costume means a hero is going through an identity crisis.
    MEANING. They either are attached to some strange power or have a change of heart.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Don't mean to be mean, but I found a few typos/misspellings in here.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:
    " Don't mean to be mean, but I found a few typos/misspellings in here. "
    Send G-man a resume.
    Mighy be an opening for a proof reader :P
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Often costumes become outdated.
    Imagine the X-men today in their original blue and yellow costumes.

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Phantim555

I say its ok to change costumes I mean look at characters like Batman and Wolverine they've changed multiple times but they still have the basic characteristics. Like Superman and his shield. I think a hero should wear whatever they want as long as its not too drastic of a change. For example you have Bruce's Batsuit and then you have Dick's not much change but its a little diffrent. Then you have Damian's Trenchcoat batsuit (Which is awesome) and Terry's Beyond suit where there is kind of a drastic change but I guess thats diffrent because those are all diffrent people behind the mask.
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bandito
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Often costumes become outdated. Imagine the X-men today in their original blue and yellow costumes. "
    Any superhero costume looks ridiculous if you scrutinize it that much.  And I don't think the X-Men's costumes today are any better.  At least the Kirby-designed costumes showed some team unity or school spirit.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Bandito: 
    There was the uniform as[ect but they were all very simple. 
    Wouldn't be very visually exciting to have the hole team dressed like that.
    SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By SupremoMaximo

They change costumes because of their PR Reps... It's a marketing and licensing thing... That's how they get paid... 

Royalties 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By Dracade102

Only on certain occasions.

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemizer

Only if they are getting a cut of the merchandising of the costumes themselves.
    X-93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By X-93

I don't think it's a bad thing if it goes with a new story arch, such as spider-man/ symbiote.    I don't  mind if the costume stays the same but the colors change some, like x-men or x-force.   If a character is outdated and needs become modern or up to date I think that is ok too, such as Blade or Luke Cage.

KirkG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KirkG
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    "Often costumes become outdated. Imagine the X-men today in their original blue and yellow costumes. "

Dude, 
    Those were SCHOOL UNIFORMS. They graduated and received individual uniforms way back in issue #38...under Ray Thomas, not Stan Lee, more than 3 years after their first appearance and going monthly after the first year or two.  Go check it out!
    KirkG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KirkG

Dudes, 
    The whole thing about changing costumes came about when Marvel was threatened with a suit by Jack & Ros Kirby, that Jack had designed the look of MOST of the Marvel universe.  So suddenly, Marvel put out a "survey" of it's customers through comic shops asking if they liked change. Suddenly, Iron Man had a new chrome color scheme, The Captain was dressed in black, Thor had armor, the FF had dark blue cosmicly irradiated suits, Quicksilver had a blue pair of tights, Scarlet Witch went gypsy on us, Spidey got a black alien suit, and "Everything old is new again".  It was a clear legal manuveur so that Marvel wouldn't be at risk by a legal suit claiming royalties for the use of the original designs any more.   That just about summed up the original costume change wave.  An exception was Wolverine, who changed when his suit got shreaded in the Savageland, etc.  Just re-read the 1980s and you'll see.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I think it's definitely ok for certain situations. I could see Spidey donning the black costume if he's going on patrol at night to give himself an advantage.
    Divine_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Divine_Monkey

Have you guys seen Wolverines original costume? The one with whiskers?
    Or Green Lanterns red, yellow &green one?

I have a bigger problem with how they re-write their origins and change their personalities willy-nilly.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @KirkG: They also went back to them circa Uncanny #275.

No Caption Provided

Deo Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Deo Wade

As times change, so should costumes. Costumes from the early to mid 20th century don't hold up  in the 21st century.

elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By elevatorparty

I always like it when a costume change is done right and if it updates the character, like Iron Man's newest costume which is now my favourite. Or Ultimate captain America's slight change from Vol 1 to vol 2 to include new headgear.  
    I loved the radical redesigns used in Kingdom come.  
    Batman, Spider-man and Superman's costume have changed alot during the years. In subtle ways such as The symbol designs, the belts, and the colour schemes for batman. Spider-man's eyes have grown and these changes might have begun as Artist interpretations but have stuck due to their appeal.  

For super heroes that wear their costume everyday and who don't have any need to wear the costume such as gaining powers from it, then I cant see why they wouldnt have a change every once in a while. Wolverine seems to pick an outfit based on his mood or the mission, luke cage shows that some heroes dont even need a costume, and the Wasp showed that some people are more likely to want change. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I don't mind costume changes, even drastic ones as long as it fits with the character's personality. Someone like Bruce isn't going to make a huge change to the bat suit other then maybe add a little more padding/armor here or there. Where someone like Janet, who was a fashion designer, wouldn't be caught dead in the same outfit for a long period of time. Now certain characters need to evolve with the times, like the Punisher at first he was in the black cloths with white gloves and boots and pretty much the same until Marvel Knights and Marvel MAX where he looked more modern and that leaked into the main 616, until they restarted his issues at Punisher.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF

yes, i think they should be able to update their costumes. They all have updated their costumes for the most part. Even tho it isnt mentioned and its more the artist variations they all have been updated. I would like to see acknowledged updates to costumes tho for people in DC. Marvel characters seem much easier to change their outfits, DC's costumes seem like they only get changes during or after big events (like the Death of Supergirl for Superman Earth-2)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

obviously the biggest change is the S symbol but there are other subtle ones as well. I know its been said alot over the years but i would really like to see him update to something like

No Caption Provided
    it doesnt have to have the red ab protector looking things and it could still have the usual S symbol for now but i think this would be a good update or maybe something with more white

lol you can laugh all you want my wife got me a superman coloring book as a gag while we were dating and i was bored so i colored one.
     lol you can laugh all you want my wife got me a superman coloring book as a gag while we were dating and i was bored so i colored one.

I always thought that would be a good updated version for Clark or Conner. It might look even better if he had white pants also
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I think in The Batman's case, the fewer changes have worked. It's an iconic costume that has been functional for a long time. Looking at most of the Golden Age costumes, they were all based off circus costumes. Aeriolists, highwire, strongmen, whatever. You look at Cary Grant or Burt Lancaster or somebody that started out in the circus and then went to hollywood, that's what they wore. 

Plus, Batman pretty much defines what a costume should do. It's should inspire some kind of reaction. Hope. Power. Fear. Or in Namor's or Wonder Woman's case hormones. (They run around in swimwear!)   

Spider-Man's costume is probably the single most original and innovative costume since the Golden Age. A lot of the Marvel costumes are. But, I'll give it to Spider-Man as the landmark. 

Wesley Dodds and Lee Travis should have stayed in their original costumes. they should never have changed costumes. That was when they became no different from other Mystery Men.  

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

"People" grow, and change. Their wardrobes reflect that, too. I think change can be a good thing. :) Look at Kitty Pryde. She's had numerous wardrobe changes throughout the decades, but remained the same kind, intelligent, and brave young woman on the inside.

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Big

Superheroes aren't part of any government sponsored organization or any private interest. They're free agents, which means they are only beholden to themselves. It may serve the public's sense of consistency, and sense of security, to know that a super-powered person doesn't suffer from MPD, but ultimately, if said super-hero is doing a public service, let that person do whatever he or she wants.  

Super-hero identities should impact those they are opposing, like Batman, who uses his persona to scare the hell out of criminals. Otherwise, it's just vanity, and I think that heroes should just put on a different shirt for everyday of the week, like most of us do.
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By leokearon

It's great for making more action figures that's why they change their look
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kennybaese

As long as the character is still instantly recognizable, I don't think it's an issue Wolverine's costume has changed a ton of times. Whenever he's actually in a suit, his suit looks more or less the same, just different colors. When he's not in some kind of uniform, the whole hair in the shape of his helmet thing instantly identifies his as Wolvie.  

Same thing goes for Batman. As long as he has the cowl with the ears, he's Batman. Though, his costume changes have mostly been subtle.  

It's the same kind of thing. As long as the character's are still recognizable as themselves, I don't think it's an issue. 

scorpius72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By scorpius72

its inevitable heroes will change their costume for various reasons. what works depends on the need. fluid versus manufactured. most of the time its fluid, to become more modern and less dorky, (i.e Aquamans orange shirt is more armour like now, robin lost the green undies and bright yellow cape, .) those kind of variations make sense and keep the spirit of the original. some are an example of changing times and fashion (dazzler went from skating disco ball in the 70s to jane fonda workout queen in the 80s ) the more manufactured changes are like armour spiderman or blue/red superman are blatant shakeups of old characters that can be self indulgent excesses of the writer or artist  and as you can see, most fans dont repond to it.      

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30  Edited By sora_thekey

Well they all have to upgrade the times...
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By danhimself

I remember when Ben Reilly took over for Peter as Spider-man and everyone assumed he killed the original Spider-man just because his costume was different

thebeegle88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thebeegle88

You only forgave DAREDEVIL? What about Robin, im sure you can forgive Tim Drake and Damian Wayne for not sticking with the pixie/fish-scale speedo look right?

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fire-brand

well, if a character changes his costume is usually for personal reasons. maybe he went through some form of trauma like when hawkeye became ronin, or maybe there was a crisis like when ms marvel changed. besides, costumes get torn up in fights and sometimes need replaced, what better time to update it? it doesn't bug me as long as i know who is under the mask.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DEGRAAF

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

by the way can anyone tell me which artist did this, i love this picture of him
     by the way can anyone tell me which artist did this, i love this picture of him
    batman changed with the times as well, i like it better when they actually draw the armor in his suit although i know that is alot of detail
    clayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By clayton

These are comic book characters not real life heroes. When Superman turned into pure energy he didn't do pit willingly. This was DC's way of changing things up to increase sales, obviously. The Venom symbiote took Spidey, he did not choose it. When the symbiote was removed Black Cat gave him an identical costume because the black made a statement to criminals. Let us not forget the Back in Black storyline. Iron Spidey was also to increase sales and state his place alongside  his newfound friend, boss and mentor Iron Man. He then discarded it to make a statement that he was not associated with pro-registration. Creators change the costumes of heroes for the sake of sales and to go with the times. I personally enjoy the changes because they're different they bring about a little excitement and i know they won't last long. Besides everyone knows the popular and Classic heroes such as Spidey, Supes, Bats and Cap will always rock the same digs. So enjoy whats going on, cuz we all know that it won't be the costume that brings down the character. It will be the poor writing and crappy artwork that drags a character down. So we shouldn't get so hung up on a little costume we know won't last. Also, everyone gets a costume shange, so why is it the Hulk still has the same purple pants.
    clayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clayton
    @DEGRAAF:
    That's Jim Lee's awesome work
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aquamariner

I think it's cool for heroes to change costume as long as it's not just for the hell of it, but there's a logical and interesting reason and story for doing so.  

I gotta say, I like Spider-man better when he's wearing black. His attitude and costume are way cooler. Too bad they got rid of Venom. I woulve like to see him in a new ongoing 

Oh and the electric superman look ROCKS! I loved those two, both Superman Red and Blue Really cool era for the man of steel!
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Comiclove5
    @doordoor123 said:
    "New costume = bad. New costume means a hero is going through an identity crisis. MEANING. They either are attached to some strange power or have a change of heart. "

I completely agree.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39  Edited By ImperiousRix

I believe that, just like the name changes, a superhero should be allowed to change their costume.  Times change.  Motivations change.  Heroes change. 
    I don't think they should be locked down to a single look, as it often means that their character isn't really changing or evolving. 
    And that often means that a character has become stagnant, which is not a good thing.

Rockslide27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rockslide27

I like a change now and then just to keep it new.  They don't have to do anything super drastic.  As characters have become more and more realistic in their portrayals it makes sense that they would want to occasionally make changes to their costumes.  As long as they are still recognizable, I think its great.  I think the most successful of all with having an alternate costume is Spider-Man.  I love both the red and blue and the black costumes.  Its fun to see him switch back and forth now and then.  It kind of emphasizes new chapters in his story.  Frequent updates/mutliple suits for Batman and Iron Man's suits just make sense with their characters.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41  Edited By Decept-O

@G-Man:  Love the comment about forgiving Daredevil's first costume due to his blindness.   

Good question.  It's a mixed bag, isn't it?  For some characters, the change works, for others--not so much.   

Just want to say I personally love all the costume changes Janet Van Dyne made.  She has an excuse, she's a fashion designer after all, plus it goes with her character and personality. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By xerox_kitty

I wish ALL heroes & villains would change their outfits... It's high time they wore something more than embarrassing figure-hugging spandex!

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By SuperXAsh

Well some costumes just don't last as long as others. Superman's is iconic, same with Batman's and Spider-Man's and so on and so forth. While Spidey can get away with changing it every now and then, it usually goes back to the original pretty soon afterwards. The look is just so inseperable with the character.

But then there's someone like the Dazzler, or Luke Cage, and whatnot who's initial costumes become dated and silly-looking after a while. Thus a change is needed.

Iron Man's suit changes with the times, and it makes sense that he'd be constantly updating it to perform better. Otherwise he'd look silly stomping around in the same old iron suit that he made in his first appearance. 

In some areas, no change is not really needed (unless it's pretty darn close to the original), but in others it's almost required.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By The_Ghostshell

They all should be allowed to change costumes, but if they suck and the majority of the fans hate it, then they should change it back. Iconic characters are kind of stuck. I personally liked Wonder Woman's all white super agent costume better then her current one. Sadly I'm in the minority on that :'(

Graphicly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Graphicly

Of course they should be able to change their costumes.  It can add for all sorts of story elements.  If Spider-Man had never gotten his Black Costume, we never would have gotten Venom or Carnage. 

Wait... I'm now wondering if that was a good or bad thing.

RedGhostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RedGhostman

A lot of the time it seems that they don't have a choice. Superman had to change because the suit stabilized his new powers. Spidey did the change because of the Secret War. Other times, heroes change because of what's going on in their lives at the time. Daredevil keeps changing because the dude's simply nuts. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Hey I am the proud owner of the comic when Spider-Man first wore the symbiote

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By TheMess1428

Nightwing had 4 different costumes and the last one was the best. Robin (all of them combined) had 6 different costumes. Sometimes costumes need to be updated with the times.

Sixth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sixth

Yeah, heroes can change looks :) 

except Superman :P 

Hes too Iconic

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50  Edited By ReverseNegative

Hell yeah. As long as the alternate costumes are cool. XD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.