Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Peter Parker Gets Fired

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Life imitates art? Art imitates life? Despite a couple of comic selling for a million dollars last week, we know that the economy hasn't been too great lately. Times are tough. They're so tough that even comic book characters are feeling the hard times. What character has faced hardship time and time again? Spider-Man. As Peter Parker, he will be hearing two words that no one wants to hear:

No Caption Provided
    This isn't the first time that J. Jonah Jameson has fired Peter. Something tells me this time could be different. Even the NY Post is commenting on this 'event.'

In case you haven't been keeping up with Amazing Spider-Man, Peter has been making ends meet working for Jameson in the Mayor's office. He's been freelancing for the Frontline as well, but his main income has been with Jameson. While protecting Jameson and the city, Peter makes a sacrifice that could cost him his career as a photographer. Something is going to happen that causes him to get blacklisted in New York City. 

“Peter Parker’s been through some rough times lately, with all of his deadliest foes returning, and he couldn’t lose his job at a worse time” said Senior Editor Steve Wacker. “He’s going to struggle with unemployment and trying to save the city while he can barely afford to keep a roof over his head.”

One of Spider-Man's concerns has always been about being able to pay for the materials to make his web-fluid. Let's not forget how often his costume gets ripped. Buying needles and thread has to add up with how often he has to repair it. 

No Caption Provided
    The first installment of Peter losing his job begins this week in Amazing Spider-Man #623 (with the next issue landing a week later on March 10). I'm left wondering if the idea of reading about Peter struggling (more than usual) sounds appealing to readers. Spider-Man has always suffered personal losses in his crime-fighting career. Now he's losing his job over it. Most likely there are readers who have been in similar situations (well, maybe not losing a job due to superhero activities), is this something that people want to read? Does having Peter Parker/Spider-Man go through hard times make him a better character? 

Perhaps this will be a short term thing. We've heard about the upcoming Avengers line up. Since Spider-Man is on it, perhaps he'll have a place to stay with them. While we don't know where the Avengers will operate out of ( Avengers Tower? Avengers Mansion? Captain America's place?), he could probably crash with one of his "co-workers." In light of the " Heroic Age" that is coming, we still don't know what kind of an Avenger Spidey will be. Will the Avengers be accepted by the public? Will they have government funding (along with a paycheck)? Will Tony Stark foot the bill? Will Spider-Man be too proud to accept help from his friends?
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

Sweet. I get to watch someone squirm! THAT is why I read comics!  

((You can determine if this post was sarcastic or not on your own xP)

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Does this mean he will collect unemployment or is he still employed through the initiative...lol
    starz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By starz007

Isn't J Jonah always firing him?  Did he actually ever attain employee status, or was he always an independent contractor?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jstarzyk: But something's gonna happen that gets him blacklisted. This will be more than just getting fired, like he always has by JJJ.
    DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkSyde79

All of these loaded superheroes and he can’t find one to compensate him for his numerous skills?!! 

Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Aerik

JJJ = Tool

Lupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lupine

Just what Peter needed, I'm so glad that the powers that be take such pity on him. I mean "Evil" Aunt May and getting fired or blacklisted (whichever the case may be). Peter's life is always so grand. It's like watching a train wreck only with more bad decisions and the Vulture, Electro, and Venom punching you in the face all the while. XD

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By leokearon

Oh look Peter's life is going down the toilet, that's   original (sarcasm)
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9  Edited By thatlad

Character development? Don't see much point as they'll just retcon it out when it becomes "Another Brand New Day"

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself

but shouldn't the Avengers be a sanctioned team now so he should actually be getting some money from them for once

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Hasn't this happened before? 

@thatlad said:

" Character development? Don't see much point as they'll just retcon it out when it becomes "Another Brand New Day" "
    Why would they bother retconning something that can change through storytelling?
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thatlad
    @Vance Astro said:
    " Hasn't this happened before? 

@thatlad said:
    " Character development? Don't see much point as they'll just retcon it out when it becomes "Another Brand New Day" "
    Why would they bother retconning something that can change through storytelling? "
    Dunno, why would they bother retconning over 10years worth of stories by doing a deal with the devil...oh yeah...money! 

*I know am being faceious but it's fun
    Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tyler Starke
    @leokearon said:
    " Oh look Peter's life is going down the toilet, that's   original (sarcasm) "
    hahah, yeahh but it makes for a good story, nobody wants to see a happy spider-man
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illuminarch

He could always sell the secret formula for his webbing and retire a multi-millionaire.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By bingbangboom

Oddly enough, if you are that broke right now because you lost your job... you might not have enough to buy this comic.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Primmaster64

HMMMM

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crazed_h3ro

I wounder what peter will do to pay the bills now LOL XD. I feel you bro I was fired from my job too (actually i was "let go" Bulls@#$%)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @crazed h3ro: That was the main thing that got me thinking. Do people want to read this stuff in comics? Aren't comics supposed to be a fun escape? Do we need to read about the sucky economy in comics?

Also, I wonder what he does to get blacklisted.
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crazed_h3ro
    @G-Man: Well really no one,and I mean no one wants to read how Peter was fired from his job for like the 20th time,and I think its like this little subliminal messaging that there puting in our heads.Not sure what they want use to think or buy but i think that they are telling use that coimc book characters has real feeling/and lives as well,which i do not wan't to know. Or maybe to say how much our own jobs suck (not saying your job sucks,its awesome ^_^). All i want to see and read is peter beating the snout out of Norman,and tag teaming with Steve to do so LOL XD.

May be he is under government investigation for something "bad" or "wrong". Because I really can't see Peter geting Blacklisted for at lest a good reason.Once again why do I want to know he is getting Blacklisted for? If anything he can beat up the people blacklisted him ^^
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Ph Pete... U gone Make it

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Don't you find JJ's pose in that image just a bit too dynamic for a man of his age and character. Looks like he'd fall backward.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @FoxxFireArt: Jameson was working out for a while. He was even a prime suspect of being the Hobgoblin back when we didn't know who he was.

No Caption Provided
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @G-Man: 
    Try standing in that pose while leaning back and knees bent in that fashion. I did. It's awkward as hell.

Looks like JJ have been doing some yoga too.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @G-Man said:
    " @FoxxFireArt: Jameson was working out for a while. He was even a prime suspect of being the Hobgoblin back when we didn't know who he was.

No Caption Provided
    "
    LMFAO!!!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @thatlad said:
    Dunno, why would they bother retconning over 10years worth of stories by doing a deal with the devil...oh yeah...money!  *I know am being faceious but it's fun "
    Because the two incidents are completely unrelated.There was no possible way Peter could have saved Aunt May without Mephisto.Thus the retcon.Getting fired can easily fixed with storyline.
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thatlad
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @thatlad said:
    Dunno, why would they bother retconning over 10years worth of stories by doing a deal with the devil...oh yeah...money!  *I know am being faceious but it's fun "
    Because the two incidents are completely unrelated.There was no possible way Peter could have saved Aunt May without Mephisto.Thus the retcon.Getting fired can easily fixed with storyline. "
    True, I wish they;d followed through with that story though. Had aunt may die, then have the fallout cause Peter & MJ to split. I mean that was the point of brand new day wasnt it? To split Peter & MJ up so they'd could get him back dating? 
    I dunno, but I'd buy that more than the whole deal with the devil thing. Aunt May dying 'for real' could have been a good point to develop peter further. 

Also maybe he's blacklisted because he breaks his journalistic integrity? For example if he doctors some photo's to preserve his identity but JJ finds out their doctored...well it's a viable reason why he wouldn't be hired elsewhere
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not newsworthy, but i wouldnt figure the Post actually
    reads Spider-man  and knows whats going on. if they did the
    more appropriate story would have been to run one about how
    the Daily Bugle was leveled. Peter has been out for a job for awhile,
    and just grabbing work where he can. he doesnt need to worry about
    affording a roof over his head, because he already doesnt and is crashing at
    someone elses place and not paying rent. Aunt May now effected by Mr. Negative
    cut off the honeymoon with her husband, Jonah's father, and the only reason
    Peter had a gig occasionally at the mayors office in the first place, and also
    got away with treating Jameson like crap the whole time. now that its over between
    May and Jamesons dad, thats it for Peters gig there. he'll have to go back to being
    a papparazi again or something. not really the driving point of the story eitherway, just
    another stressor for Peter, as was just indicated by the staff in Wizard 223. the
    real story is the Guantlet, Peters life conflicting with Peters memory loss, and the
    heated war with Mr.Negative.

and there never was a retcon. Mephisto made Peter " forgot" some parts of his
    life as Peter Parker, and covered it up for a few others, but everything that happened
    still happened, its just that he isnt aware of it in full detail. meanwhile Mary Jane is,
    among other characters like Bruce Banner and Mr.Negative for example. but no events
    in canon history actually ceased to have happened. thats kind of been the entire driving
    point of the series way back since One More Day, and why everything he's done he has
    done ever since.

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bats

J.J.J has always been one of Spidey's greatest foes.
    You'd think someone with that hairstyle and that mustache would have a better sense of humor.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The Devil Tiger

That Parker make Job (The biblical character) like a whiner ! LOL !
    SiCantwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SiCantwell

I blogged about this today in my journalism blog at: 
    Headlines.Blogs.StarNewsOnline.com

I said Parker deserved to be fired because what he did was unethical. 
    But I'm pretty sure Spidey will eventually land on his feet.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@G-Man said:
    " @FoxxFireArt: Jameson was working out for a while. He was even a prime suspect of being the Hobgoblin back when we didn't know who he was.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Gads! In a yellow speed suit no less
    Goonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Goonie

Better jump on that Welfare...XD 
    In all seriousness this is sad...i mean how many times do you get fired from the same job...HUH?

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

love Peter and all, but i just read it, and Jonah did the right thing.
    Peter really blew it.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Kairan1979

Spider-Man should join Heroes For Hire if he wants to pay his bills.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.