Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

My Probelm with Spider-man (Peter Parker)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

so i just crawled my way out of "Torment". seriously im sorry if you liked it but that was a challenging read for me. After reading that and looking up a few stories some of you guys suggested to me a few days ago i think Spider-man just isnt that interesting for me. i think my problem is that he is too lite hearted. not that i favor a dark and gritty story but i do want to see serious things happening. i think his stories seem very.....idk sophomoric? i want to be proved wrong because i think he's a great character but he just seems too....idk the word he just isnt compelling enough to me. is there any ONE story you would say that "if you dont like this then you dont like spider-man"?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

Ultimate Spider-man

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By PunyParker

Ultimate Spider-man

That.

I suggested it in the other topic you made......if you read the whole series with Peter(111 issues) ,then yes,you don't like Spider-Man.

And if your fav hero is Superman(i judge by the avatar) then you must know they have very different stories.....

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite. I have the entire run.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@sog7dc said:

so i just crawled my way out of "Torment". seriously im sorry if you liked it but that was a challenging read for me. After reading that and looking up a few stories some of you guys suggested to me a few days ago i think Spider-man just isnt that interesting. i think my problem is that he is too lite hearted. i think his stories seem very.....idk sophmoric? i want to be proved wrong because i think he's a great character but he just seems too....idk the word he just isnt compelling enough to me. is there any ONE story you would say that "if you dont like this then you dont like spider-man"?

The problem wasn't the character but the story.
    If you want a good spiderman story try Ultimate Spider-man, JMS's run on Amazing Spider-man or if you don't mind Lee's and Romita's run on Spiderman from the 60s/70s.
    These are some very good Spiderman stories.
    Because you are a viner i know from the superman forums, where we see almost every day people complaining how uninteresting Superman is without having read a single story with him, it makes me sad to see you make so rushed judgements especially on a icon like Spiderman :-( Out of curiosity which stories did you read?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Spider-Man blue is one of my favorites

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@sog7dc: Go read Kraven's last hunt, There is absolutely nothing light hearted about that story.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

Ultimate Spider-man

That.

I suggested it in the other topic you made......if you read the whole series with Peter(111 issues) ,then yes,you don't like Spider-Man.

And if your fav hero is Superman(i judge by the avatar) then you must know they have very different stories.....

i remember but as i looked at some of those titles on the internet they just didnt seem to be that interesting. "One more day" looked good so im going to read that. it got pretty good reviews. and i do remember people suggestig ultimate but someone told me that was about miles morales and not peter

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

so i just crawled my way out of "Torment". seriously im sorry if you liked it but that was a challenging read for me. After reading that and looking up a few stories some of you guys suggested to me a few days ago i think Spider-man just isnt that interesting. i think my problem is that he is too lite hearted. i think his stories seem very.....idk sophmoric? i want to be proved wrong because i think he's a great character but he just seems too....idk the word he just isnt compelling enough to me. is there any ONE story you would say that "if you dont like this then you dont like spider-man"?

If you want a good spiderman story try Ultimate Spider-man, JMS's run on Amazing Spider-man or if you don't mind Lee's and Romita's run on Spiderman from the 60s/70s.

Because you are a viner i know from the superman forums, where we see almost every day people complaining how uninteresting Superman is without having read a single story with him, it makes me sad to see you make so rushed judgements especially on a icon like Spiderman :-(

Out of curiosity which stories did you read?

no no no you misunderstand. im not downing peter im just asking for the one story aout spiderman that makes you love him. like if someone came to the superman forum i would immidiately tell them "allstar. you dont like that then you wont like superman" thats what im looking for. and ive given spidey a few chances. (im starting to think he was plagued with bad cretive teams) i read sensational spiderman and i read "Torment" (i still have issues 5 through 37 of "Spider-Man") that i havent read yet and i have the first two tpb of Avenging spiderman

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PeppeyHare

@sog7dc: One more day is considered one of the worst Spidey stories ever by many. I really don't recommend reading it. Ultimate was about Peter for over a decade

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Oh I see sorry for the misunderstanding :-)
    I see why you don't like Spiderman from the stories you have read. Like Superman he is constantly plagued by mediocrity with only a hand full of great stories at his disposal.
    If you trust my taste in comics i would suggest Ultimate Spiderman and JMS's run on Amazing Spiderman.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc:

Oh I see sorry for the misunderstanding :-)

I see why you don't like Spiderman from the stories you have read. Like Superman he is constantly plagued by mediocrity with only a hand full of great stories at his disposal.

If you trust my taste in comics i would suggest

Ultimate Spiderman

and

JMS's run on Amazing Spiderman

im taking this and running with it. i will read ultimate and jms run and then hopefully ill appreciate him

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man has had his share of misfortune. The fact that he (largely) stays optimistic despite this is, in my opinion, the core charm of the character.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Spider-Man will take you on an emotional roller coaster. In the end, Peter will be a favorite of yours.

One More Day is the worst Spider-Man story I've ever read, for more reasons than one. Quite possibly the worst Spider-Man story ever told. It will make you hate Marvel temporarily.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Hope you enjoy them :-) these are the runs that made me a fan of the character.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PunyParker

@sog7dc said:

@punyparker said:

@danhimself said:

Ultimate Spider-man

That.

i remember but as i looked at some of those titles on the internet they just didnt seem to be that interesting. "One more day" looked good so im going to read that. it got pretty good reviews. and i do remember people suggestig ultimate but someone told me that was about miles morales and not peter

Οn Ultimate that you say: Peter dies in #162 or something and Miles takes his place.

"One More Day"?.......oooooh dude,you just flammed up the topic!

It's one of the most hated storylines in Spider-Man hystory.

Read Ultimate,you won't regret it....i promise.

Ultimate Spider-Man #1-160-something .....seriously.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By silent_bomber

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon said:

@sog7dc said:

Because you are a viner i know from the superman forums, where we see almost every day people complaining how uninteresting Superman is without having read a single story with him, it makes me sad to see you make so rushed judgements especially on a icon like Spiderman :-(

Out of curiosity which stories did you read?

I read sensational spider-man and i read "Torment" (i still have issues 5 through 37 of "Spider-Man") that i haven't read yet and i have the first two tpb of Avenging spider-man

So essentially nothing has changed since your last Spider-Man thread.

Torment is a very polarising story, and has never had a particularly large fanbase.

The run you own of Spider-Man comics (Spider-Man 1-37) is poor, and not popular amongst Spider-Man fans. There's not a lot of reason to read it, and its not going to be changing your mind if you don't like Torment.

The only thing you own in that run that is even moderately worth thinking about reading is the Revenge of the Sinister Six (18-23), which personally I thought sucked, but some Spider-Man fans do like it from what I've seen.

I don't see how you can come out of Torment thinking Spider-Man is too lighthearted, that story is pure 90s grim-dark.

If you want "dark" Spider-Man then stick to 90's J.M. Dematteis Spectacular Spider-Man stories, Funeral Arrangements, The Child Within, The Death of Vermin etc etc, or Kraven's Last Hunt.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Grim Hunt. Go. GO!!!

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with everyone here read Ultimate Spiderman. I loved that it has all that makes Spiderman cool in 160 issues, then you can know if you truly dont like the character.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Maybe you shouldn't try forcing yourself into liking a character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely read Ultimate Spider-Man. If you don't like it, give up on Spidey. That is, by far, one of my favorite comics ever. I just read the Venom storyline not too long ago, and I was completely shocked at how good it was. Some other Spider-Man stories with good substance include The Green Goblin's Last Stand, The Death of Captain Stacy, If This Be My Destiny, Kraven's Last Hunt, Spider-Man: Blue, and The Death of Jean DeWolff.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Go read Kraven's last hunt, There is absolutely nothing light hearted about that story.

This

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ultimate Spider-man

that's all that needs saying, that's all I was going to say

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

Ultimate Spider-man

Dear God,what was Bendis thinking,when he killed him......8/10 people who suggested said Ultimate Spider-Man.....noone said "Ultimate,but the one with the black kid"....(not racist)

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Because the OP is asking for help understanding Peter. I think the stuff with Miles is just as good if not better

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@allstarsuperman said:

@danhimself said:

Ultimate Spider-man

Dear God,what was Bendis thinking,when he killed him......8/10 people who suggested said Ultimate Spider-Man.....noone said "Ultimate,but the one with the black kid"....(not racist)

Peter's death made the book even better though

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VeganDiet

Death of Jean DeWolffe and Return of The Sin Eater.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker said:
    @allstarsuperman said:

@danhimself said:

Ultimate Spider-man

Peter's death made the book even better though

Yes,it remained good,and got even better,but still,Pete is missing from the book.....
    Also Miles works,cuz when he's in costume he talks like Peter.....simple.When he's out of costume i see the differences,but when he's "Spider-Man" he's all Peter Parker.
    Test it.Do what i did.Read Ultimate Spider-Man #15 or something and then read a Miles issue.....

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try One More Day... >:D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.