Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Miles Morales will be the focus of animated Spider-Man movie

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

It was announced a while back that an animated Spider-Man movie is in the works, written and produced by The Lego Movie directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord. Now, according to "Heroic Hollywood", the animated Spider-Man movie will focus on Miles Morales, not Peter Parker, in an attempt to differentiate it from Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming, starring Tom Holland.

Interesting. I think Miles is a great character and worthy of his own animated movie. We've seen our classic Peter Parker Spider-Man many times in an animated series and he's about to make major waves in his own live action movie as part of the MCU, so I think it's cool to see Miles in his own movie, he could use the exposure, and as a character, I think he's more than capable of carrying his own movie. It'll be interesting to see if this movie will feature Peter Parker in any way or if it will only be Miles' story/

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'm still hoping this is a rumour, since... (Copy pasted from another post of mine):

Ughh..... Gross. Looks like I won't be watching that movie, if the rumour is true. I have no idea why the writers want to have a colourswapped Peter Parker (he is, honestly, a copy of Ultimate Peter Parker, except less intelligent and written like a Mary Sue) on screen. If we aren't getting Peter, they should give a far SUPERIOR Spider-Man his chance - Miguel O'Hara. And all these so called Miles fans infuriate me so much - without fail, they tend to have no knowledge of the comics beyond the fact that Miles is black. I don't even know why that matters so much. I'm Indian, and there is not one notable Indian Marvel character, yet I never whine about this, as I know that a character's ethnicity is the last thing that makes a good character. I mean, if people wanted freaking Spider-Man India to replace Peter, I'd be equally pissed, because what I love about Spidey is Peter, not the colour of his skin. Thus, I have no choice but to conclude that these so called Miles fans are not Spidey fans at all, but rather hive mind idiots with no wish but to appear "progressive".

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@anjales_ii: 'as a character, I think he's more than capable of carrying his own movie'.

Really? With his iconic gallery of famous rogues? His endearing supporting cast that elevate him and make him all the more interesting? His iconic love interests? Oh! Wait, sorry, dude! I was thinking of Peter Parker, my bad.

No offence, but Miles has been around for what, five years? How the hell is he capable of carrying his own movie when he's not even remotely interesting in his own comic book? What famous story line do you think they'll adapt? Oh yeah, Miles doesn't have one. You know, because he's a character in his infancy. Well, maybe they write a completely original story featuring Miles' greatest villains. Ah, see, I've done it again. Miles doesn't have any villains because he's literally leeching off of Peter's legacy and as such, will have to fight Peter's.

It's not even the fact that Miles is a terrible character, it's the fact that his world has no substance. Good luck to whoever's writing the movie, because I'd be hard pressed to find anything even remotely compelling to write about when it comes to Miles 'spam venom blast to win' Morales.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By The_Waffle

Won't be watching it then, he has no personality and I only care for Peter.

riverdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: Word. Why do they think the colour of a character's skin makes them better or different?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Cool. Seems like a smart move. Pete gets his live action dues while Miles gets a trial by fire with an animated movie. Hopefully it's better than the current marvel tv cartoons.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Guess I won't be watching it.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hungry_Sharky

I like Miles. I don't love Miles, but I like him.

Like the guys above me, I'd prefer Miguel or Peter. But come on, you're not watching it?! We haven't had a theatrical release of a real animated superhero film in ages. Wait, besides Big Hero 6. That doesn't count.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By knightwriteri

If Miguel or Mayday had been given a film treatment first or even a cartoon I'd be ok with this but I'm so fed up with the ridiculously disproportionate level of promotion Miles gets to bring myself to watch this.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BappyRonChantin

@blackspidey2099: That was great.

I also agree with the spider-man 2099 part. In animated format I think a futuristic character like him would fit much better.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: it's like you literally took what was floating around my mind and typed it out, mate.

As a black male, I've never once seen Miles as anything more than some diversity character who exists simply because he's black (it doesn't help that Bendis does a terrible writing job in his books).

The way I've always seen it between the three main Spider Men (Pete, Miguel and Miles) is like this; take away their ethnicity, and what do they have? which character appeals to you the most, is the most interesting to you, has the most interesting supporting cast etc. Peter and Miguel are waaaaaay ahead of Miles in this department (who let's face it, if he was white he'd already have had his book cancelled). If they really wanted a diverse character I wish they went with Miguel; more interesting character, cool concept (futuristic superhero) etc.

Ah well, since Tumblr didn't get their gay Captain America, I suppose they need to appease all those SJWs smh.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales_ii: no offense ment to you, but in no way is Miles a great character worthy of his own movie (he's barely worthy of his own comic book tbh)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I won't be supporting this with my wallet on principle.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj: @BappyRonChantin: @riverdog: Thanks guys, I completely agree with everything you stated. I'm not 100% against Marvel's push for more diversity, but the way they are doing it pisses me off - they are basically shitting all over older, established, loved characters in order to appear "cool" to a crowd that doesn't, and never will actually read the comics.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: said

"Ughh..... Gross. Looks like I won't be watching that movie, if the rumour is true. I have no idea why the writers want to have a colourswapped Peter Parker (he is, honestly, a copy of Ultimate Peter Parker, except less intelligent and written like a Mary Sue) on screen. If we aren't getting Peter, they should give a far SUPERIOR Spider-Man his chance - Miguel O'Hara. And all these so called Miles fans infuriate me so much - without fail, they tend to have no knowledge of the comics beyond the fact that Miles is black. I don't even know why that matters so much. I'm Indian, and there is not one notable Indian Marvel character, yet I never whine about this, as I know that a character's ethnicity is the last thing that makes a good character. I mean, if people wanted freaking Spider-Man India to replace Peter, I'd be equally pissed, because what I love about Spidey is Peter, not the colour of his skin. Thus, I have no choice but to conclude that these so called Miles fans are not Spidey fans at all, but rather hive mind idiots with no wish but to appear "progressive".

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I've worked with Indigenous Australian high school kids the last five years and introduced a comic book library into their boarding house. No one was interested in Miles Morales as Spider-Man at all. They all thought it was a dumb idea. But they were all interested in Peter Parker / Spider-Man. That says a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
    deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I respectfully disagree. Miles has had barely any character history, his whole origin only begins after Peter becomes Spider-Man, and I don't find him interesting to begin with.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the idea. Keep peter in the live action and have miles do the cartoon versions. It's a great day to be a spiderman fan.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter > Miguel > Miles

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jimishim12

Peter's stale it's time for him to take a break from constant reinventions of his cannon and normal showings, he's gotten Clark Kent levels of predictable and bland now.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Friv

@jimishim12: Is that why he was one of the most talked about aspects of Civil War? Almost every single review of the movie gave him glowing universal acclaim, it clearly shows the general audience as well as comic book fans are nowhere near tired of the wall-crawler.

I'd call that a win.

Avatar image for theblackpeterparker
    TheBlackPeterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj said:

@blackspidey2099: it's like you literally took what was floating around my mind and typed it out, mate.

As a black male, I've never once seen Miles as anything more than some diversity character who exists simply because he's black (it doesn't help that Bendis does a terrible writing job in his books).

The way I've always seen it between the three main Spider Men (Pete, Miguel and Miles) is like this; take away their ethnicity, and what do they have? which character appeals to you the most, is the most interesting to you, has the most interesting supporting cast etc. Peter and Miguel are waaaaaay ahead of Miles in this department (who let's face it, if he was white he'd already have had his book cancelled). If they really wanted a diverse character I wish they went with Miguel; more interesting character, cool concept (futuristic superhero) etc.

Ah well, since Tumblr didn't get their gay Captain America, I suppose they need to appease all those SJWs smh.

I mean, Miles is defiantly a worthy successor to Peter Parker.

The diversity thing is not bad at all. As a black guy living in a rather conservative/white part of my state, ethnicity plays a part in how I'm treated and how it affects my actions, so it's sort of hard to not look past that. Miles is actually the reason I got back into comic books so heavily because as a teenager, I was trying to live up to others expectations and trying to live in their shadow instead of worrying about my own greatness. Miles has the most potential out of all of them imo.

That being said, I'm glad they're making a movie. They could probably make something original (excluding the origin) that hopefully influences the comics. (Plus, we have like two full years of Miles stories to see how he handles up to Peter)

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel's animated films usually are not that good anyway.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackpeterparker: wow, sorry you have to deal with stuff like that. I've experienced it before as well, and I know how that feels

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By christianrapper

i am wondering how they will do it. most people outside of comics don't know who miles is. are they going to show the death of peter parker? miles is one character that needs an origin story for his movie.

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miles hate is only appreciated by me if you come up with actual reasons other than "he's just a colourswapped Peter Parker" when he clearly isn't.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's called into the Spider-Verse. It's going to follow Miles but we're going to see an adult Peter. Hopefully grown up Peter is a cool guy and not a total loser like Homecoming and Dan Slott Parker. And since it's called into the Spider-Verse who knows maybe we WILL see Spider-Girl/May "Mayday" Parker and Spider-Man 2099/Miguel O'hara too. Try to have a little faith.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.