Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 16307 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Mary Jane Watson in ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

• 49 results
    Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Poll Mary Jane Watson in ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ (45 votes)

Yay 44%
    Nay 56%

Back in March we learned that singer/actress Zendaya landed a lead role in Spider-Man: Homecoming, and now we know exactly who she’s playing. It’s a big one!

Zendaya will be playing long-time Spider-Man love interest Mary Jane Watson in next summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, according to multiple sources at TheWrap.

What do you think of Zendaya playing Mary Jane Watson? Let me know in the comments below!

SOURCE:TheWrap

No Caption Provided

• 
    izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By izamanaick

"now we know exactly who she’s playing"

Yes, and It's Michelle. The director confirmed it. The cast confirmed it. The casting sheet confirmed it. Marvel confirmed it.

All you have is the opinion of a man with a shoddy track record.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By knightwriteri

It's quite likely Zendaya will play MJ that being said a castmate denied it and when Zendaya said she was playing the part months ago I believe it was April Fool's day.

If we'd already had a really good portrayal of Mary Jane Watson on film I'd likely be very forgiving of this but Dunst was written very poorly and given all MJ fans have had to go through the past decade I don't think it's too much to ask for a portrayal that is written well, acts well and looks the part it's not like there is a shortage of actresses with a better pedigree that look the part and have made it clear they want the role. As a viewer I'd probably overlook having a bi-racial actress if she does in fact play the part it's a bit easier given she has Scottish ancestry like MJ but I don't think I'll get past those eyes or her eyebrows they don't evoke MJ at all. And don't fool yourselves that she'll ressemble the character more we've seen the set photos her hair hasn't been dyed for the film.

Honestly casting a Disney star bothers me as much if not slightly more than PC casting the bar for children's live action programing has really plummeted in recent years this just screams Disney cross polination if Sony's going to make the money from the actual movie because they have the rights and are actually paying for it then Disney will at least force one of there actresses in to raise her profile so people actually care and make more money on music I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even audition.

My two biggest gripes ammount to this 1. Given how the comics are enslaved to the movies now the opposite of how they should be especially since this is an MCU film the MJ we are familiar with in the comics may be supplanted with an imposter with the appearance and characterization of this film especially given how "Michelle's" role will be larger in future movies 2. If the rumors are true this take of Mary Jane will differ story and character wise from every version we have seen in any medium story wise she's appearing and encountering Peter in school so there will be no blind date unless only Aunt May refers to her ad MJ and it's some kind of secret id which would ruin the blind date thing anyway, it's not going to be like Ultimate either as they won't be close friends with a crush on each other from the start and it's unlikely Zendaya will be "Brainy Jane" the characterization would also deviate significantly if the rumors are true as "Michelle" was perceived as something of a mean girl by the audience that saw the comic con footage.

So it would be bad all around if the rumor is true but it'd be the writer's fault and casting not the talent (or lack of it)

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightwriteri: It was confirmed at comic-con multiple times along with the rest of the cast.

When she was first announced she was rumoured to be playing Michelle Gonzalez, never MJ.

Crafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, they should DEFINITELY change MJ's cast.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't care that much that she doesn't really match the appearance (although I would be lying if I said I was happy about it), I just hope they treat MJ's character well. Fans of the character haven't been treated very well during the past decade, as said by someone above me, so I hope we get something good in the movies.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darklordx123: Well Disney really ships the MJ Peter romance and the crew on this film have admitted they will be taking inspiration from their favorite Spider-Man comics Ultimate and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane so I am going to remain hopeful and believe they will portray her well. Now If Zendaya really is MJ that means MJ will be in all the films they have planned which is good...buuuut I don't want them to push for a romance in highschool. If the films do well, they could probably do 3 more after highschool and start the romance then. I'd sooooooo love one of the Spidey Films to actually show the iconic wedding!

I myself am OK with her being MJ if she's a good actor. That's just my opinion, and she would look like a good redhead. If she isn't MJ, that's ok too. I just want the actress playing her to be good at the role and for MJ to be written well....cause this could bring back the marriage permanently to 616. A make it or break it so it needs to be properly executed.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: "I myself am OK with her being MJ if she's a good actor."

That may be FAR to reasonable an opinion for the Internet. She either can't be MJ because she's black or she must be MJ because she is black so diversity. I wonder if both sides understand how alike they sound?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ItsaWorld

@kiba: I know. I must be insane!

Maybe they chose her as MJ cause they knew the internet would blow up this way, ensuring more people would watch the film?

Heck! Maybe she isn't MJ and they just did this to get people hyped about the movie even more.

WEIRD THEORIES:

As they say "all publicity is good publicity". It worked for Grand Theft Auto. All those articles about how horrid GTA4 was, was all created by Rockstar themselves knowing that people would in fact, look into the game even more and thus would lead to more people purchasing the games. Think about it, you want people to turn heads, you make a fake story about this. People react differently but a lot of people would research MJ's character. These people would discover MJ was Peter's wife, a thing that present Marvel (apparently ethnically diverse yet is run by the same old fat white dudes (no offense to guys. Bendis and Quesada and several others just have outlived their welcome)) has attempted to remove completely yet hasn't been successful thanks to what us fans have managed to keep alive. This knowledge will cause a lot of people discomfort and an even larger demand to restore the marriage. Marvel would be forced to restore it or face more backlash. Sure they can hide behind ethnically diverse with their 'new characters' but they are only so many hydra caps and OMDs you can pull before everyone calls you out as being hypocrites...and lets face it, Disney would not want to be associated with companies that make nazis and devil worshippers out of key characters, especially when it becomes a larger factoid within all of the media.

In other words, maybe its a ploy to restore the marriage next year...

....in reality, that's probably not true.

They probably just picked her. I just don't really care as long as she is a good actress and looks good with red hair. She looks like she would! I can now stop playing 'who of the female homecoming staff looks good as a redhead' game if this is true. I even heard that Michelle was what she would be called through the movie till the end where her real name is revealed to be Mary Jane.

I need you guys to picture this:

Michelle is introduced as whatever and Peter hangs out with this girl for a bit. Aunt May informs Peter she may of set him up on a date for the homecoming dance with Ann Watson's niece, Mary Jane. Peter doesn't know how to go on a date and he's got the vulture to worry about. Maybe Tony helps him with both the Vulture problems and how to talk to girls. I know they said Vulture's suit's probably chitauri tech, but im hoping at least the design is based on schematics from stolen records of falcon's suit when the goverment confiscated it (I just want one time in the movie Falcon to be watching the tv and see the vulture and get all pissy as a nod to what he said in civil war). Battle commences, Vulture is defeated. Peter wiiiiiins! So he goes back home to get ready for I guess the homecoming dance and is informed that his date to the dance, Mary Jane is here. He goes to the door and it's Michelle and she is looking way different. She has revealed who she really is. Apparently Michelle was a facade all along (cause I dunno. She's MJ and she was acting or maybe trying to go incognito to investigate the vulture like her Ultimate universe version does)

Whole entire scene....reenacted from the comics....just imagine!!!!

"Peter Parker, I'd like you to meet my niece..."

"You mean...THAT'S MARY JANE...?!!!"

"Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

...I dunno why, but I think that would be awesome.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that just gave me cancer.

maybe i can lift mjolnir soon...?

Jokes aside, that's literally worse than Joseph Gordon Levitt being Robin.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11  Edited By Outside_85

I imagine this will go down about as well as this did:

No Caption Provided

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By knightwriteri

@itsaworld: I'm sorry if Peter meets MJ before the blind date it negates the whole subplot I don't care if it's still a shocking twist (in universe as you and others are already speculating about it)

And I think you're getting what very little we saw of MJ in the Ultimate cartoon confused with the Ultimate comics why would we want a Lois Lane both comic versions are better than that cartoon? And because of their different histories and relationships to Peter 616 and Ultimate MJ really can't be mixed in an adaptation.

Also the comic con footage sounds like no version of MJ in any medium.

Let's remember that both Liz and Betty are in the movie not to mention Flash and Ned that's two love triangles that Peter was in during the Ditko era Marvel had a ridiculous fetish with young portrayals of Peter Parker thry are going to mine high school spidey for as long as they can I wouldn't be surprised if they make three movies before introducing Gwen, MJ or Felicia and that's if they don't kill Peter and replace him with Miles first.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightwriteri: Awww I thought that would be cute but you do carry valid points.

Just my own opinion.

Also MCU tends to, unlike their Marvel Counterpart, NOT KILL main heroes. They like Peter so they'll be keeping Peter. They'll be giving Miles a cartoon film and they'll see if he's popular enough.

Then again, I'm just a hopeful wierdo that wants to look on maybe a bright side. I'm just wierd so yeah.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am going to wait until I have seen her in the movie before I judge her.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: Miles is not getting a film.

There is literally no proof.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: I coulda sworn the animated Marvel film was going to be Miles. But hey, could always be wrong!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Can't be any worse than Dunst

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: I coulda sworn the animated Marvel film was going to be Miles. But hey, could always be wrong!

It was the opinion of one dude.

Only piece of evidence he had was that it won't be tied to the MCU.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick:The animated cartoon was obviously not going to be tied to MCU whether featuring Miles or not.

@fallschirmjager: Ohhhh Dunst. I dunno whether to blame that MJ role on her or how they designed the character in the films.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: No I get it. I'm sorry that I got my facts wrong.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Yupp, it's both. Bryce Dallas Howard (Raimi's Gwen Stacy) is a much better fit for the character.

Not to mention that she's a natural redhead.

Also, MJ leaves her fiance at the altar on their Wedding Day. What a b***h.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with it honestly. She's really cute. Obviously I'd prefer a ginger play the character but this I have no problem with. If she has red hair in the film, like in the OP photo, I'd be ecstatic.

werkudoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is so wrong i can't believe it i lost the words

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as she has red hair in the film, I'm happy...

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By knightwriteri

She won't at least for a portion of the movie we have set photos and comic con footage where she isn't.

What really me irks me though is that there are people on CBR who are already voicing there desire for the comic character to be remodeled after the Disney star. One's actually reveling in the displeasure of purist.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, mj is half black. it's the end of the world. she looks cute. let's see what they do with her.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who cares if she is half black. peter isn't being played by an american from new york. being white wasn't really central to her character. i wonder if they are going to hook peter up with mj right away or have them do the 'will they or won't they' crap.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ItsaWorld
    The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

As long as she has red hair I don't mind, I guess.

cruelwinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"now we know exactly who she’s playing"

Marvel, the director, and cast members iterated Zendeya's character is Michelle. Laura Harrier retweeted that MJ is not in the film. James Gunn, who read the script of the film, commented that he “does not know whether or not Zendeya is Mary Jane. The source of this rumour is unreliable. The only way this could work is if it’s an end-credits surprise.

Which is unlikely. Word of mouth from people that viewed comic con footage of the film commented on Zendeya’s character being sarcastic and flat-out rude. That isn’t MJ’s character. I’m not 100% opposed to the casting as Zendeya, like Mary Jane, is extroverted, and biracial, but I’d prefer MJ be a ginger, and the departure from the source material as shown in the comic con footage sounds like something Zack Snyder would do, not Marvel.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m not 100% opposed to the casting as Zendeya, like Mary Jane, is extroverted, and biracial, but I’d prefer MJ be a ginger,

MJ's biracial? As in half African American? What.. I always thought she was drawn to be some white american..

Anyways, if this is true, I would not be surprised.. the trend nowadays seems to be making the female love interest a poc so..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

cruelwinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cruelwinter

@saint_sophie said:
    @cruelwinter said:

I’m not 100% opposed to the casting as Zendeya, like Mary Jane, is extroverted, and biracial, but I’d prefer MJ be a ginger,

MJ's biracial? As in half African American? What.. I always thought she was drawn to be some white american..

Anyways, if this is true, I would not be surprised.. the trend nowadays seems to be making the female love interest a poc so..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

I stand corrected:

Zendeya is biracial, not 100% black. If that makes sense. It's not like she's Viola Davis black or anything.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie said:
    @cruelwinter said:

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

I stand corrected:

Zendeya is biracial, not 100% black. If that makes sense. It's not like she's Viola Davis black or anything.

MJ's not biracial.

cruelwinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelwinter said:
    @saint_sophie said:
    @cruelwinter said:

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

I stand corrected:

MJ's not biracial.

Yup, that's why I corrected myself. I'm trying to say that Zendeya is at least biracial. It's not like she's black or anything.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who gives a crap what color mj is? if she is half black in the movies who cares. i would say her red hair is more important to her character than her skin color.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By knightwriteri

@cruelwinter: My apologies I accidentally flagged your comment when trying to press the reply button.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By izamanaick

@nightfang3:

"I wouldn’t mind, if Peter Parker had originally been black, a Latino, an Indian or anything else, that he stay that way, but we originally made him white. I don’t see any reason to change that."

“I think the world has a place for gay superheroes, certainly, but again, I don’t see any reason to change the sexual proclivities of a character once they’ve already been established. I have no problem with creating new, homosexual superheroes.”

“It has nothing to do with being anti-gay, or anti-black, or anti-Latino, or anything like that, Latino characters should stay Latino. The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss. I just see no reason to change that which has already been established when it’s so easy to add new characters. I say create new characters the way you want to. Hell, I’ll do it myself.”

- Stan Lee

I wouldn't be surprised if what he said about Zendaya was a PR move on behalf of Marvel.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@cruelwinter said:

I stand corrected:

Yes but tbh I'm pretty sure everyone will dub her as "full" black and will talk about MJ being "black" now even though tbh facial wise she clearly is biracial but whatever.

Also, as long as dyes her hair red I think I can get past her skin tone..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind Zendaya being MJ at all, just as long as her hair is red. MJ being a red head, I feel, is important to her character, while MJ's race isn't.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About the possibility of Zendaya being Mary Jane or have her ethnicity changed I ask the same questions I did in the topic about Spider-Man movie.

MJ came from a broken home, her father was abusive toward her mother (and alcoholic in the Ultimate version), beaten Gayle and was verbally abusive with MJ herself. Her mother divorced and became a single mother of two children and her father was always absent. Gayle married young, had two children and her husband leave them. So... If we change the ethnicity here can MJ origins be received in a different way by the audience, critics and the crowd that urges for more diversity? One of the most common representation of black people in movies and series is showing them with dysfunctional families. What is a great backstory can be seemed as a lazy racial stereotype. One option would be remove her tragic past, but, in this case, the black version of Mary Jane Watson would be much less interesting than her white redhead counterpart.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love people getting pissed off about a rumor race change for a movie. Its too predictable.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By knightwriteri

@blacksuit: Exactly only it's WORSE BECAUSE she's biracial as while no one would care about Philip Watson so long as he's characterized correctly if MJ were white. If the rumors are true now no matter what race Philip Watson is a lot of people will be upset if Philip's black the SJW's will flip out but if Zendaya is MJ whether Philip is black or white (and let's be honest there is no way he won't be white) those who want an actress that resembles the character will be further annoyed by the marginilization/villification of white males in Homecoming with Marvel's begrudging exception of Peter in the movie it's a lose lose scenario. And everyone thinks Tyne Daly is playing Anna Watson if that's true it confirms Philip will be white.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By izamanaick
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By animehunter

I know I'm late to this but I wanted to add my to cents into the discussion about Zandaya being Mary Jane

To me it's not a matter if she's black, white, or green with pink pokadots, what some don't seem to get, is you don't mess with an iconic character, yes the ethnicity of the character shouldn't matter, but then they're missing the point. It's the whole package that makes her who she is, not just her personality or hair or skin colour,it's everything, Mary Jane is one those characters that is the foundation of a mythos, you mess with that, and there's a big risk that the whole thing collapses like a deck of cards.

-

@amazingfantasy

@Elbarto17 aka Punyparker

@zariusii

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit aka Spideyryan

@magnetic_eye

@theheaven_guardian10

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even think she is playing MJ.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.