is spiderman just for kids or mainly for kids

• 73 results
#51 Posted by Jimishim12 (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress:

No kid read it like that, they just saw a nerd swing on buildings and beat people up like an anime character. Who thinks of spideys dark past first, thats like looking at tonys acholoic problems instead of the cool robot suit.

#52 Edited by Starsprime3 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

None, the cartoons are for kids and some comics like Marvel Adventures, other than that, films are for everyone (but they do have mature themes) and comics are targeted at adults and teens. IMO it's mainly for adults/teens.

#53 Edited by Jimishim12 (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@starsprime3:

Nothing screams teeny or adult in a series about a wisecracking goofy superhero doing chores for aunt may. Nothing is edgy enough or bold enough to push spidey down the same road daredevil and xmen go through, it is generally family friendly and like superman in moral messages.

#54 Posted by KittyParker13 (3638 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool48: The scenes with the kids from thew movies,are just to show the values of the character.

As of in general,look how it is......Spider-Man was created for young adults,and aimed at this kind of audience.He debuted in Amazing Fantasy #15 the only Marvel comicbook aimed at a more mature audience.With the stories that followed he retained that "feel''.

Sure some stuff like the USM cartoon are for kids,but it's only that.The films are all-ages,and have some strong mature themes,and the comics are primarly for adults.

Hope i helped.

#55 Edited by Starsprime3 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12: Um Spider-Man has villains like the cannibal Vulture,, who was openly eating a man in one panel.

The mainstream comic are clearly written for adults and teens in mind, the stories are generally light-hearted, doesn't mean it has some mature themes and such. Story arcs such as Back in Black for example.

When I was a kid, I only read Panini UK Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures, they were geared towards a young audience, those comics are for kids, mainstream one isn't. It is rated T.

The movies had Gwen Stacy dying just like in the comics but it can be said it is for everyone, the Raimi is more light-hearted but it's for everyone as well. Only the cartoons are fully for kids (Ult. Spider-Man).

#56 Edited by ZariusII (5749 posts) - - Show Bio

@starsprime3 said:

@jimishim12: When I was a kid, I only read Panini UK Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures, they were geared towards a young audience, those comics are for kids, mainstream one isn't. It is rated T.

I was a kid when I got into Spider-Man comics and I sure as heck did'nt start with the Panini stuff. I read the mainstream material from the get-go. My first exposure to Gwen and Norman Osborn was "The Night Gwen Stacy Died".

I did enjoy Panini though, I wish they hadn't discontinued their original output.

#57 Edited by Starsprime3 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:
@starsprime3 said:

@jimishim12: When I was a kid, I only read Panini UK Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures, they were geared towards a young audience, those comics are for kids, mainstream one isn't. It is rated T.

I was a kid when I got into Spider-Man comics and I sure as heck did'nt start with the Panini stuff. I read the mainstream material from the get-go. My first exposure to Gwen and Norman Osborn was "The Night Gwen Stacy Died".

I did enjoy Panini though, I wish they hadn't discontinued their original output.

Well I could only get Panini at the time, I thought it was mainstream lol. I also read the first few issues of Ultimate Spider-Man though.

#58 Edited by Jimishim12 (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

@starsprime3 said:

@jimishim12: Um Spider-Man has villains like the cannibal Vulture,, who was openly eating a man in one panel.

The mainstream comic are clearly written for adults and teens in mind, the stories are generally light-hearted, doesn't mean it has some mature themes and such. Story arcs such as Back in Black for example.

When I was a kid, I only read Panini UK Spider-Man and Marvel Adventures, they were geared towards a young audience, those comics are for kids, mainstream one isn't. It is rated T.

The movies had Gwen Stacy dying just like in the comics but it can be said it is for everyone, the Raimi is more light-hearted but it's for everyone as well. Only the cartoons are fully for kids (Ult. Spider-Man).

The main thing is despite having adult like tendencies, Spider-Man stories are casual friendly through start to finish because unlike Watchmen or many Wolverine and Daredevil books, Spidey has a comfort zone filled with colorful interactions and pretty much a straightforward superhero plot, alot of people are saying it's truly a franchised aimed for adults sensibilities but how do you define that, I mean the darkest spider-man tales still sold to people between ages 12 and up, and they all generally have less tension due to not really going through making the plot finish on a depressing or dead serious route, it's always happy or hopeful in it's presentation. Spider-Man in general is narrow in it's main character being a role model hero and a super goody two shoes with a kid friendly vibe to him, compare this to Deadpool who is always about enforcing edginess and obscene explicit tendancies for a comicbook character.

You can say anything about Spidey's age range but I never will believe Spider-Man is a complex and layered mature story that is on the same level as something like Miracleman, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, the majority of Fran Miller Books and even adult themed and aimed franchises like Deadpool, some batman stories, Punisher and currently Vison. When Spidey tells a serious and mature story, it's still a Spidey story that has no subtlety or daring in it's purpose to focus on a nerdy wiseass swinging in a leotard and looking silly stoping evil even when he's trying to be badass, because Spider-man is still the eternal teen superhero that started it all I just don't feel he's ever gonna have a true plot that is graphic in mature tone or be taken seriously. Even the night gwen stacy died was supremely try hard in it's scope but it ended with the status quo continuing can you say it was more a real mindscrew and mature than The Killing Joke or Death in the family where the stakes shaped the way how real comics became and serve as realistic and complex in plot.

#59 Posted by AkshSarpanch (3573 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, he is for kids.

As a kid, I loved him. But now he seems too unrealistic (character-wise) and overrated.

#60 Posted by Starsprime3 (533 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimishim12: I see what you mean, I still think thy are going for a more adult audience with the mainstream comic but still...lol

#61 Edited by ZariusII (5749 posts) - - Show Bio

@starsprime3 said:

@jimishim12: I see what you mean, I still think thy are going for a more adult audience with the mainstream comic but still...lol

It's very hard to cut through the overabundant adolescence in the main books to get to the adult material.

#62 Edited by magnetic_eye (1739 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: said

@starsprime3 said:

"It's very hard to cut through the overabundant adolescence in the main books to get to the adult material."

^^^^^ SO TRUE ^^^^^

When I first started reading Amazing Spider-Man as a kid in the mid 70's Spider-Man was already established as an adult super hero. Collecting issues from the 60's and going right back to the high school years made the hobby even more enjoyable.

ASM and other Spidey related titles also depicted Spider-Man as an adult for about 4 decades or so. Yes, he is a very popular flagship character for Marvel, and so it is of little wonder that comic book titles with a younger Spidey sprang up to accomodate younger readers as well as obviously different depictions in various cartoons. The "Marvel Adventures" books are great as is "Spidey” at the moment.

The "Ultimate Spider-Man" comic book series published in 2000, was also a welcome throwback to a younger Spidey and was well received.

The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon on the other is simply aimed at kids, it's silly and not the Spider-Man I prefer, but I will sit down occasionally with my 7 year old son and watch it. 😎

Is Spider-Man for just for kids? No! because he was originally conceived as a teen hero for teens and adults alike. On top of that Stan Lee and Steve Ditkos' vision for the natural progression of the character was well and truly in motion by the time I picked up an issue of ASM in the mid 70's.

Should they publish Spidey titles for kids? Yes! they should, but they should never have tampered with the original ASM title.

Unfortunately because of some of the various cartoon interpretations of Spider-Man, I think a lot of new fans just think of Spider-Man as some sort of jokester / comic relief super hero and know nothing of his whole history from the comic books.

It astounds me just how badly treated Spider-Man has been over the last decade with all the deconstructive crap that has gone on and the directive to dumb the character down to an immature clown. That's not very inspiring for kids.

#64 Posted by MonstrousOgre (124 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere that he was originally meant for older readers in his first few appearances, but kids really liked his character so they decided to making him family-friendly... I'm not sure though

Avatar image for darkprimesovereign
#65 Posted by DarkPrimeSovereign (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

He's primarily aimed at kids, but everyone loves him.

#66 Posted by TheDandyMan (5175 posts) - - Show Bio

In a world where adult bronies exist, nothing is just for kids.

#67 Posted by Heatblaze (10399 posts) - - Show Bio

In a world where adult bronies exist, nothing is just for kids.

hehehe.

#68 Edited by darthfury78 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool48 said:

I mean recently I think marvel is trying shove down our throats that spiderman and their other characters are for kids, I mean ultimate spiderman and the scenes with the kids in the amazing spiderman 1 and 2, what do you think

It's Joe Quesada's belief that Spider-Man is a kids medium. That belief more or less came from the 1960's cartoon, as well as most of the Spider-man TV animated series to date. Thus, for those who have never read ASM but watch the cartoon, they will assume that that is what Spider-Man is all about. Those who are in charge at Marvel believe that Spider-Man is a kids show.

This might be the reason why Dan Slott was hired to write ASM because of his past talents of writing books that attracts a strong following of young readers who also saw the Spider-Man cartoon series...

Avatar image for christianrapper
#69 Posted by christianrapper (6283 posts) - - Show Bio

no, there is no way that spiderman is just for kids. well, no more than comic books are just for kids. spiderman has recently been allowed to grow up. i hope they keep it that way.

#70 Posted by izamanaick (228 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper said:

no, there is no way that spiderman is just for kids. well, no more than comic books are just for kids. spiderman has recently been allowed to grow up. i hope they keep it that way.

lmao

Avatar image for danteisterrible
#71 Posted by Danteisterrible (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman is still too tame and innocent in his stories compared to other heroes like Wolverine(really Spiderman darkest stories don't even compare to Batmans or even Flash stories most of the time), Venom, Deadpool and the Ultimates. Peter to me was always gonna be a kids gateway hero, his stories in the main series are edgy and melodramatic mostly but their optimistic and ideal in their predetermined comicbook way just like Superman which to me states that Peter is not that adult if his narrative follows the childish moral code that all superheroes follow. Spider-Man is not meant to be taken seriously, or likened to young adult elements like x-men and deadpool, he's a iconic goodie two shoes that will always be on your pre schoolers book shelve or toy alse while the deadpool and publisher max stories will be on the 18+ section in a comic book store.

#72 Edited by ZariusII (5749 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankly, with how rubbish "edgy" stories are these days for everyone else, he's better off that way

#73 Posted by FromAPOV (102 posts) - - Show Bio

These days, yeah I would say Spider-Man has become predominantly focused to Kids up to Teens. However, if you look back at some of Spider-Man's Older Stories from the 60's to the 2000's than their not primarily focused on Kids, especially the 80's, 90's & 2000's have mature themes, tones and story elements. So, yeah Spider-Man's primary audience right now are Kids/Teens, but that doesn't mean he was always aimed towards children, a good chunk of his Stories can be very much appreciated by Adult's & Older.

#74 Posted by NiteLite (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Spider-Man is primarily aimed at kids as of late but he's not necessary just for them. Spider-Man is aimed at anyone who enjoys the values and the character that he represents.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.