Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Spider-man Still Marvel's Flagship Character?

• 81 results
    Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ever since the MCU happened spider-man has been slowly edging to the back of comic book covers and promotional art work. He has stopped being a main part in big cross overs as well. So what do you guys think? Is Spidey still the flagship character.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, he is....but the gap is closing.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

We've pointed it out many times......he is,this hasn't changed.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JakeN7
    No Caption Provided

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JakeN7

Ever since the MCU happened spider-man has been slowly edging to the back of comic book covers and promotional art work. He has stopped being a main part in big cross overs as well. So what do you guys think? Is Spidey still the flagship character.

Where's Spidey!? I can't see him!

Ironically that's the cover that has caused a lot of controversy because it has no Fantastic Four or X-Men characters on it.

Oh hai guys.
    Oh hai guys.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@amazingspiderman15 said:

Ironically that's the cover that has caused a lot of controversy because it has no Fantastic Four or X-Men characters on it.

Oh hai guys.
    Oh hai guys.

You literally beat me to it..... :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. His box office numbers don't show it though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And spidey is in the back on the cover of Lego marvel superheroes.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Yes. His box office numbers don't show it though.

The movie has nothing to do with the popularity of the character......look at Captain America,and his numbers.It's a good film.
    ASM 1+2 are mediocre films.......it's good that they're at least making what they're making.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No question. He's still one of the big three most recognizable superheroes out there and DC owns the other 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I know that. Its funny because I heard that the Raimi series was cancelled because spiderman 3 failed to reach a billion and none of the two rebooted films have reached any of Raimi's films in terms of money grossed.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PunyParker

@jayc1324 said:

@punyparker: I know that. Its funny because I heard that the Raimi series was cancelled because spiderman 3 failed to reach a billionand none of the two rebooted films have reached any of Raimi's films in terms of money grossed.

That's a lie.
    Raimi was in pre-production for Spider-Man 4,but Sony decided to reboot,because they wanted to modernise the character,and generally to renew their financial possibilities.
    Spider-Man 3's script was forced.That's why it failed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: oh ok. Their financial possibilities still haven't lived up to Raimi's though.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@punyparker: oh ok. Their financial possibilities still haven't lived up to Raimi's though.

They sure haven't.
    And they won't ,as it seems.....

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He still is but if Marvel had their way it would be Iron Man.But comic sales seem to show that nobody gives a crap about Iron Man unless RDJ is playing him lol.....joking aside I love Iron Man

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Last time I check he still his.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are desperately trying to fade him out of bigger priorities compared to the avengers for a while now.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By spider11211

@jayc1324 said:

@punyparker: I know that. Its funny because I heard that the Raimi series was cancelled because spiderman 3 failed to reach a billionand none of the two rebooted films have reached any of Raimi's films in terms of money grossed.

That's a lie.

Raimi was in pre-production for Spider-Man 4,but Sony decided to reboot,because they wanted to modernise the character,and generally to renew their financial possibilities.

Spider-Man 3's script was forced.That's why it failed.

Agreed

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

Somehow he still is, despite marvel not knowing how to treat him properly. DC have been doing all the right things by Batman. Batman comics, movies and games are all brilliant. But with Spider-Man we get sh!tty Dan Slott hack stories, sh!tty Beenox games, a sh!tty Ultimate TV Show and a sh!tty movie reboot. This is why Spider-Man is slipping in popularity with other marvel heroes. I speak the truth.

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow he still is, despite marvel not knowing how to treat him properly. DC have been doing all the right things by Batman. Batman comics, movies and games are all brilliant. But with Spider-Man we get sh!tty Dan Slott hack stories, sh!tty Beenox games, a sh!tty Ultimate TV Show and a sh!tty movie reboot. This is why Spider-Man is slipping in popularity with other marvel heroes. I speak the truth.

yes...yes you do

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still stand by what I said, Avengers are the new draws to Marvel's cash cow schemes. It used to be Spidey till then, and Spidey currently has to appeal to the casual child fan to get fans into marvel. That means his loyal adult fandom is not as vocal as it used to be.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@amazingspiderman15 said:

@i_need_a_horse said:

yes...yes you do

Ha, I wrote that ages ago, still stand by it though.

shadowlarvitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he is. Just wait for his new movie and the newer Marvel fans will be properly introduced to him, growing his fanbase even further. Much like how the Guardians are popular now.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

You do realize that, at the very peak of his popularity, Spidey rarely played a major part in "events" right? Secret Wars, The Thanos Gauntlet, Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign. They always revolved around the Avengers somehow. The only cross-over event Spidey truly had a major part in was Civil War. Nowadays, Spidey's events are so big, others are actually joining in in his own book. See Spider-Island, Future Foundation, Ends of the Earth. So to sum up, Spidey is still top dog. In case you haven't heard, he's the world's most profitable superhero. Completely blowing Batman, Superman, the ENTIRE Avengers out of the water.

Currently Marvel has 6 Spider-Titles outside of Spider-Man's main series that are mostly very popular Silk, Spider-Woman, SM2099, Spider-Gwen, SM and the X-Men, Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man, and seven if you want to count Gerry Conway's ASM.1 Spiral mini-series. oh yeaahh marvel is pushing spidey awayy...they recently just fought hard to get him into their cinematic universe!

Why did the movies not do well? Because the marketing absolutely sucked. Nothing to do with the quality of the movies. SM3 is widely considered very bad, yet it actually did more than the previous 2. As for Ultimate Spider-Man tv show? really..you do realize that's it's a popular KIDS show. Yes it's very popular with kids. Complaining about Dan Slott? While it's relative, financially Slott has brought a lot of $$$ and has shaken the mythos quite a bit. Quality is subjective, but Slott's run has given Spidey a lot of crossover love, and marvel even dedicated a massive crossover event all dedicated to spidey. stop complaining for the sake of complaining...

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well yeah. They made an entire universe of Spidermen characters.

Avatar image for theghostassassin
    TheGhostAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGhostAssassin
    No Caption Provided

Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus cover. Nuff said.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I would say he's still it. The weirdness/problems with the production of his movies have allowed Cap and more specifically Iron Man to creep to the forefront, whereas before it was mainly just Spidey, Hulk, and Wolverine, but he's still the big one.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He still is

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

He definitely still is, and since he's being introduced into the MCU, he'll gain more ground again.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh. I don't feel like he's there anymore.

- TAS

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. I don't feel like he's there anymore.

- TAS

Agreed, he's not nearly as prolific and revered as he was in the past, he used to tie to everything Marvel in some point. Even to Dr. Strange. Same with his villians like Carnage and Venom and even Black Cat. Everything forcuses on Tony Stark, his Avenger status, his tech, and his connections with almost every Marvel U hero and villian.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: i guess making more money than every marvel and dc character combined just cant grant you respect anymore right?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Still is. I like Capt. America better though.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvelwould gladly make SPidey the flapship face of the company if he was more cash cowish, and thusly overly easy to promote as a brand but somehow they think think Cap and SHellhead are ceral covering/lunchbox cover titans that Kids love over Spider-Man.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey is now a composite of Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne and James Bond. Wooo Hooo!!! That's bound to put some integrity and individualism back into the title.......NOT.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Not according to Marvel

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey is now a composite of Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne and James Bond. Wooo Hooo!!! That's bound to put some integrity and individualism back into the title.......NOT.

Scuse me? How is that not giving him integrity and individualism, he's finally.....................cool. And he doesn't have to be 007 or Bats explicitly.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:

Scuse me? How is that not giving him integrity and individualism, he's finally.....................cool. And he doesn't have to be 007 or Bats explicitly.

You're excused. That's great that Peter is finally cool. He's been cool lots of times before. But IMO, I don't trust the Slott Machine to write a mature, debonair Peter Parker. If his previous writings are anything to go by, get set once again for simplistic cartoon dialogue and an uncharacteristic Spider-Man; this time emulating Tony Stark with gadgets and gimmickry.

If it was any other writer, then maybe......just maybe, but otherwise this looks like another cringe worthy moment in the annals of post OMD Spidey.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he is. His book sells really well and Marvel went out of there way to secure A part of the characters movie rights.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he is. His book sells really well and Marvel went out of there way to secure A part of the characters movie rights.

They literally said Ironman is their new flagship icon. Spiderman sells because he's a marketable image and kid friendly, but they also said the same to IM and stated themselves IM is the one who will get the face of the companies image.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By comicawesome

@jimishim12 said:
    @comicawesome said:

They literally said Ironman is their new flagship icon. Spiderman sells because he's a marketable image and kid friendly, but they also said the same to IM and stated themselves IM is the one who will get the face of the companies image.

I know that marvel are trying to push iron man as there flag ship character for the all different marvel. But Spider-man is marvels most profitable superhero and with spider-man showing up in Capitan america 3, I don't expect Iron man's flag ship status will last long.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman is and well always be Marvel flagship character, its that simple.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man/Ironman

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

he still is, maybe the new civil war movie will show marvel that spiderman is the best not the avengers.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZariusII

@magnetic_eye said:
    @jimishim12 said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

You're excused. That's great that Peter is finally cool. He's been cool lots of times before. But IMO, I don't trust the Slott Machine to write a mature, debonair Peter Parker. If his previous writings are anything to go by, get set once again for simplistic cartoon dialogue and an uncharacteristic Spider-Man; this time emulating Tony Stark with gadgets and gimmickry.

If it was any other writer, then maybe......just maybe, but otherwise this looks like another cringe worthy moment in the annals of post OMD Spidey.

Nine months since this was posted and I feel your points have been pretty much validated. Slott's James Bond Parker Poser has been nothing but an outlandish, animated weaksauce 80s Saturday morning tool, with no a trace of real nuance or substance to show for it. I was reading the Crawlspace comments section on one review and one idiot had the gall to say "if it's fun, it's fine"...and that was really all he had to say in defense of it. It felt more like he was just throwing his hands in the air, aware of how dumb it's gotten, and was just accepting the book "as is".

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do very much the same thing with the newspaper strip (chiefly because it has a great handle on the marriage and Peter still acts like Peter), but that doesn't mean I don't want it to be better than it is, especially after reading how good the strip was in the 70s.

These days, Marvel's audiences don't want to be challenged or be permitted to think. It's the same with their movies, it's the same with their cartoons. This is why, in spite of their flaws with the New 52 and their cinematic universe, I'd pick DC and their "interesting failures" than Marvel and their "amber vision" any day of the week.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes. I also think the quality of the current line-up of Spider-Man comic books have shown this, both Miles' and Peter's ongoing books have been consistently great.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.