Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Spider-Man really that useless compared to other experienced heroes?

Avatar image for creationalworld
    creationalworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Everyone says Spider-Man is the best hero when it comes to his line of the area of field, but really though? Can you say he'd be essential to saving new york or hostages with Ironman or Captain Marvel taking his place, his street feats in rescuing have been spastic and random wing moments instead of methodical and strategized like Daredevil's, he causes as much collateral damage as his villains and yet Captain America and Falcon can clean up the crime waves with tidy efficientcy. And on team ups, he has to less preped in battle than the other heroes even though he has many instances of prep time in his books dealing with a enemy with a specific advantage over him yet he never uses these feats constantly in other books.

So even if Spidey is one of the greats for what he does, isn't it redundant if other heroes are simply better at it than he is.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By magnetic_eye

The way Spider-Man has been written in recent years, especially by Dan Slott and now Chip Zdarskey, makes him a useless character.

I have a ton of comics in my collection going right back to the 60's with Spider-Man being my all-time favorite super hero. I own every issue of ASM. The last ASM book I purchased was ASM # 700. I've read everything since at my LCS or books borrowed from my cousin, just to keep up with the deplorable mess Spider-Man has become.

I refuse to spend my money on a fake Spider-Man written by fake writers who have disrespected and deconstructed him into an incompetent, immature, buffoon who is no longer a smart,formidable, resourceful, independent and individualistic super hero.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: Indeed. Most of the staff and writers seem to think that Peter is this kind of useless person all because of his "youth" even going so far as making the guy even more useless enough to the point where he's even bad at the smallest things. It's actually really crazy how some writers and staff seem to view Peter as the more useless person when really he isn't. Of course while there are some writers who have actually written Peter as the more mature, responsible, intelligent, competent, and resourceful person. But, we need more of that especially in the majority of his series. Hopefully after Legacy starts he'll actually become a more mature, responsible, intelligent, competent, and resourceful guy and actually tries to improve more on his life and to his loved ones. Because really, I really don't know how much more I could actually take with Peter being like this. So far the only series right now that are actually doing him Justice are RYV and Spider-Man/Deadpool. But, he should be treated better more in the majority of his series. Hopefully they'll be able to do that.

I'd also like for him to have 3 series plus a team up by some writers and creators who actually love and truly understand the character as much as fans do. It'd actually be a way to make up for the mistreatment that was actually being handled to the character. Hopefully they'll do all of that. But, we'll just have to wait and see and find out.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone says Spider-Man is the best hero when it comes to his line of the area of field, but really though? Can you say he'd be essential to saving new york or hostages with Ironman or Captain Marvel taking his place, his street feats in rescuing have been spastic and random wing moments instead of methodical and strategized like Daredevil's, he causes as much collateral damage as his villains and yet Captain America and Falcon can clean up the crime waves with tidy efficientcy. And on team ups, he has to less preped in battle than the other heroes even though he has many instances of prep time in his books dealing with a enemy with a specific advantage over him yet he never uses these feats constantly in other books.

So even if Spidey is one of the greats for what he does, isn't it redundant if other heroes are simply better at it than he is.

I think useless or redundant aren't the right words. P.S. I'm a friendly! C'mon, let's talk about it.

To start with, it depends on what you mean by "the best hero when it comes to his line of the area of field." I would say Spider-Man is the best at being a mid-tier hero who cares for the common man, but can does his part for the big threats as well. Would he be essential to New York? Depends.

Unrelated, but consider this: in the first Avengers film, who was the member of the team who saved the world? Captain America? Iron Man? Thor? Hulk? The closest was Iron Man, but he flew a nuclear weapon he did not create into a portal he did not open. SHIELD could have done that with enough sacrificed manpower. Does that make him redundant? Maybe it makes him the most efficient, but does it make him essential?

Think of almost any threat that a hero faces (that doesn't stem from nigh-omnipotence like the Infinity Gauntlet), and is it really something that absolutely nobody else could stop? Even with someone like Iron Man who deals with the very specific tech threats, you have very left-field contenders like Nova who with the WorldMind can hack nearly any earthly technology. Does that make either one redundant? If those were their only power sets, maybe, but they have both other powers and personality to define them.

In Spider-Man's case, first let me say I disagree with your assessment of his street rescuing feats in that while they are not ordered, I don't think Daredevil has more than him. I also disagree with your statement that Cap and Falcon clean up crime more efficiently. But for argument's sake, let's assume that's true.

Does him having fewer street rescues make him more redundant or useless than Daredevil? If that were the only thing he did, probably. But how come Daredevil's never joined the Avengers? His powerset, while powerful, is quite outclassed when it comes to the larger threats.

Does making more collateral damage than Cap and Falcon make him more redundant or useless than them? If that were the only thing he did, probably. But how many times are Cap and Falcon actually on the street saving civilians? Not often.

Is he useless or redundant because he doesn't prep in team settings? Well, in most cases, he's not the leader. And the leaders are often people he believes to be leaders in their respective fields, whether it be Reed, Tony, or Steve. So he decides to be a good team player and stick to the plan. (Although I agree he could be more competent in these settings.)

Spider-Man is the best at what he does. Powers-wise, he bridges the gap of the street-level heroes who help civilians, and the high-tier-strength heroes who save the galaxy every other week. And oftentimes, he does both.

But more importantly, Spider-Man is the best at what he is. The product of his upbringing and one simple quote:

No Caption Provided

StrongTower7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks said:
    @creationalworld said:

I think useless or redundant aren't the right words. P.S. I'm a friendly! C'mon, let's talk about it.

To start with, it depends on what you mean by "the best hero when it comes to his line of the area of field." I would say Spider-Man is the best at being a mid-tier hero who cares for the common man, but can does his part for the big threats as well. Would he be essential to New York? Depends.

Unrelated, but consider this: in the first Avengers film, who was the member of the team who saved the world? Captain America? Iron Man? Thor? Hulk? The closest was Iron Man, but he flew a nuclear weapon he did not create into a portal he did not open. SHIELD could have done that with enough sacrificed manpower. Does that make him redundant? Maybe it makes him the most efficient, but does it make him essential?

Think of almost any threat that a hero faces (that doesn't stem from nigh-omnipotence like the Infinity Gauntlet), and is it really something that absolutely nobody else could stop? Even with someone like Iron Man who deals with the very specific tech threats, you have very left-field contenders like Nova who with the WorldMind can hack nearly any earthly technology. Does that make either one redundant? If those were their only power sets, maybe, but they have both other powers and personality to define them.

In Spider-Man's case, first let me say I disagree with your assessment of his street rescuing feats in that while they are not ordered, I don't think Daredevil has more than him. I also disagree with your statement that Cap and Falcon clean up crime more efficiently. But for argument's sake, let's assume that's true.

Does him having fewer street rescues make him more redundant or useless than Daredevil? If that were the only thing he did, probably. But how come Daredevil's never joined the Avengers? His powerset, while powerful, is quite outclassed when it comes to the larger threats.

Does making more collateral damage than Cap and Falcon make him more redundant or useless than them? If that were the only thing he did, probably. But how many times are Cap and Falcon actually on the street saving civilians? Not often.

Is he useless or redundant because he doesn't prep in team settings? Well, in most cases, he's not the leader. And the leaders are often people he believes to be leaders in their respective fields, whether it be Reed, Tony, or Steve. So he decides to be a good team player and stick to the plan. (Although I agree he could be more competent in these settings.)

Spider-Man is the best at what he does. Powers-wise, he bridges the gap of the street-level heroes who help civilians, and the high-tier-strength heroes who save the galaxy every other week. And oftentimes, he does both.

But more importantly, Spider-Man is the best at what he is. The product of his upbringing and one simple quote:

No Caption Provided

Brilliant post.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.