Is Brian Michael Bendis the best Spider-Man writer?

Edited 2 years, 1 month ago

Poll: Is Brian Michael Bendis the best Spider-Man writer? (35 votes)

Hell Yeah! 9%
No, but he was pretty damn good 91%
#1 Posted by magnetic_eye (1739 posts) - - Show Bio

No, far from it. His best Spidey was teen Spidey in USM up until he killed off Peter Parker in favor of his pet Marty Stu ( Miles Morales ), an under developed character who doesn't have his own original codename or costume.

#2 Posted by Sovereign91001 (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fond of JMS' (underrated) run myself.

#3 Posted by BlindingLights (1366 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Stan Lee is. There was a time when I would of almost put Bendis on the same level as Lee, but Bendis has overstayed his welcome for the last decade.

#4 Edited by Combo-Man (309 posts) - - Show Bio

No he's terrible.

These are the Best Spider-man writers

1. Stan Lee
  2. Gerry Conway
  3. J.M DeMatties
  4. David Michelinie
  5. Roger Stern
  6. Tom DeFalco
  7. Todd Dezago
  8. Peter David
  9. Kurt Busiek
  10. Howard Mackie
#5 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

His ultimate stuff was good, but currently, well...he has been lacking.

I think people like De Falco and Conway were far better writers

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#6 Edited by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

@magnetic_eye: I agree with every word you wrote man, Bendis is False Prophets.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#7 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (8021 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close

#8 Posted by ursaber (10649 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no "best" Spider Man writer. There are too many and there are numerous who are good. It all in the end depends on personal preference.

My favorite writers are Conway and JMS.

#9 Posted by jb681131 (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

@imnotbendis: Is this a joke or did you mean is Brian Michael Bendis the Worst Spider-Man writer ?

#10 Posted by Eto (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber: agreed. I mean his USM was great imo. But that's just complete different Peter from the MU.

That was a youngster.

Imo Bendis shouldn't write MU Peter? Why?

Because he can't even write his own created character (Miles) properly lmaooo.

#11 Posted by Eto (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: what do you mean? His Ultimate run on Spider-Man (1-133) was great!

#12 Posted by jb681131 (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto said:

@jb681131: what do you mean? His Ultimate run on Spider-Man (1-133) was great!

I was harsh, but the only great story out of Ultimate is Death of Spider-Man. The others are ok reads, but noting spectacular.

In my opinion he is not in the top Spider-Man writters. But I will agree that he is not the worst.

#13 Posted by amazingfantasy (2497 posts) - - Show Bio

No

(I know it's you, Bendis!)

#15 Posted by ImNotBendis (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#16 Posted by blackspidey2099 (7079 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not voting on this because he was a terrible writer for Peter Parker. His Ultimate Spider-Man was good, but that was only because he was writing his own OC characters.

#17 Posted by muhabba (405 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up with David Michelinie so he's my security blanket.

#18 Posted by SuperGoku17 (7220 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Ultimate Spiderman and Im a big Spiderman fan.

#19 Posted by MacDio (113 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but Bendis is one of the greatest Spider-Man writers. He has had a huge influence on the character. All of the cartoons and movies that came out afrer his run (The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, Spectacular Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Spider-Man Homecoming) have taken as much inspiration from Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man as they have from Stan Lee's Spider-Man.

#20 Posted by Darah (161 posts) - - Show Bio

He was my second favorite Spider-Man writer.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
#21 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (7222 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't personally think so, but he's up there. I don't know about "best", but my personal favorite Spider-Man writer has to be Joe Kelly. He really emphasized the traits of Spider-Man as a redeemer of his villains, which is one of my favorite aspects of him. I also loved how he'd put him in consistently dark storylines while never making Peter HIMSELF a dark character.

#22 Edited by ZariusII (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

He was for a while, but he ran out of juice long ago

#23 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, have to say he's far from it. I've read some of Ultimate SM, and I really loved his spoilerific arc that ended Spidey (I watched the motion comic on YouTube), but seeing Combo-Man's post just reminds me of all the greats whom I used to read, especially Stan Lee (though to be frank, Steve Ditko deserves more than half of the credit). Lee and Ditko's days contained some of the most impressive Spider-Man stories I could remember - and that's saying a lot when you consider that a lot of comics have much better stories written in later years than the earlier years, Daredevil coming to mind.

And god, Roger Stern, he's amazing too. Stern wrote some pretty hard-hitting and emotional drama that made him the top three writer in my book. It's hard to choose between him and my favorite writer, J. M. DeMatteis (Kraven's Last Hunt ftw). Both of them had a great run that made Spider-Man one of the most popular Marvel characters ever born in the '80s and early '90s.

Then there's Bendis. Impressive, but no Stern, Lee, DeMatteis, or Conway. Definitely can't forget about Conway, who's a great replacement for Lee. The years after Lee's run were more amazing than Ultimate SM too, so Conway's definitely got Bendis beat. Ultimate has a good modernization of Spidey, but it just isn't as groundbreaking as Spidey's early years, and more importantly, Bendis didn't really set in stone any significant character development about Peter Parker that the other writers mentioned here did (especially Lee and Conway).

#24 Posted by hoicomicbro (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe he's one of the best Spider-Man writers in my opinion. Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the first things I read and it was my first comic book. But I don't think he's the best Spider-Man writer.

#25 Posted by ZhangThong12 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people would agree that Gerry Conway, David Michelini, and J.M Straczynski are the best Spider-Man writers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#26 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

He wrote a good Ultimate Spiderman run, outside of that no his Miles Morales was bad 2 imo

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.