Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17307 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Brand New Day Now In The Comic Strips?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Brand New Comic Strip?
    Brand New Comic Strip?
    It's been a year now since we've had Brand New Day wipe out Peter and Mary Jane's marriage out of continuity.  We've recently heard the news that Amazing Spider-Girl is being canceled (where Peter and Mary Jane were still married).  I just saw a blog at newsarama pointing out the strange happenings in the newspaper strip.

It seems that yesterday's strip had the following message:
    ATTENTION, SPIDEY FANS!
    Starting tomorrow, there will be a HUGE CHANGE in our hero’s life!
    You’ll see the same Spidey surprise that Marvel Comics has given its countless readers.
    It’s something we, too, must do because — with great power comes great responsibility!
    Or, just think of it as our way of wishing you — a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In today's strip, just like in the first Brand New Day comic, Peter awakes at Aunt May's place.  The following caption ends the strip:
    Peter staying with Aunt May?  Where's MJ?  What's going on in Spider-Man's world?  More Tomorrow.

Now I don't know how many comic book fans read the actual newspaper strip these days.  I used to for a time online but haven't in years.  It looks like Marvel is determined to get Mary Jane out of the picture.  Is Ultimate Mary Jane next?  Do you think Marvel is justified in this move? Should they be allowed to retcon an idea whenever they want?  Looks like this is going back to our video discussion on whether or not Peter and Mary Jane should be married.  I feel bad for Mary Jane.  Does she even get any spousal support after her marriage is wiped from existance?
    Bookman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Bookman

Thier called alternate universes for a reason, Marvel. Don't change them to meet 616.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

that's bullsh!t

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

I'm telling you, Ultimate Peter Parker and Ultimate Mary Jane will probably be breaking up soon (if they don't kill her off or something crazy).

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Midnightist
    G-Man said:
    "I'm telling you, Ultimate Peter Parker and Ultimate Mary Jane will probably be breaking up soon (if they don't kill her off or something crazy)."
    oh come one please don't say that man you'll jinx it and the writers will do something stupid it would be so foolish for them to do such a thing 
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Midnightist
    X-ile said:
    "DONT REMEMBER ME DO YOU"
    don't care just leave please
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself

i'm guessing that you're ninjagaidenx

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Midnightist
    danhimself said:
    "i'm guessing that you're ninjagaidenx"
    the guy who made that video
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself

yup

Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Midnightist
    danhimself said:
    "yup"
    oh lord where do these people come from
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Midnightist

looks like hes gone so we can get back to business

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Calvin

this sort of things never happen to Superman

Everybody pushes around Spider-man even the writers don't respect him! I mean taking of MJ is killing off not just years of comics, but killing off a good part of the Spider-man culture. I'm mean there's also the cartoons we watched as kids, the movies, even t-shirts, toys, and are things from collections. - I think this is worst than messing out with Peter's powers.

This is really a big punch on the fan's face, and saying "eat that!! we owe Spider-man we do what the hell we what to"

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slinger

I was just thinking about it the other night, and I came to some interesting conclusions. First, Amazing Spider-Man is what brought me into comics. I jumped on the wagon just at the same time that Straczynski and Romita Jr were reuniting Spidey and MJ, and their relationship is what really got me hooked (I'm a sucker for a romance.) I was really hurt when Quesada broke them up, (though it had been happening for years, so in hindsight, them braking up isn't that big a deal, not so much as the stupid way it was done.) Then I got to thinking about all the Spidey issues since OMD, and aside for a few stinkers (ragdoll, bleh) I really have to say that I've enjoyed them imensly, and then I wondered "why?"

I think when it came down to it, MJ really did bog down Spider-Man's stories at times, and without her there, he has really been able to cut loose. So maybe it's a good thing she's gone?

Now as for the comic strip. I was pretty sure the whole point of the strip was to cover Peter and MJ's married life together. I think it's fine that Marvel (read Joe Q) changes things to suit his wants, but isn't that changing the strip almost completely aside from the characters involved? What's the point? Anyway, I say all the power to them I guess, but I hope (and trust) they aren't flying by the seat of there pants with no plan for their future.

Elian Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Elian Allen

Its terrible... I hope it bombs and that they have to bring back Spidey...

My story, like any good story to tell, is about a girl, the girl, Mary Jane Watson.. {Writer} TO HELL WITH MJ! (Creates brand new day)

ummm.. Could it be that they just want to return to Gwen and Perter's relationship or something? I mean Harry Osborn is alive that means Gwen must be as well right? I'm not a reader so I'm not sure If she has been shown in the comic already XD

But really I hope that it freaking bombs and they have to bring backthe other  :)

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I think the 616 was justifiable but why the Ultimate U?  Isn't it supposed to be different?  And haven't they already broke up several times.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slinger
    Elian Allen said:
    "But really I hope that it freaking bombs and they have to bring backthe other  :) "
    I was wondering about that. Since 'The Other' never happened (I think,) does that mean Spidey still has an "extra guy." So if Spider-Man dies again down the line it wont be a big shocker because we all know that he is just gonna shed his skin?
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Calvin
    "But really I hope that it freaking bombs and they have to bring backthe other  :) "
    When they did the retcon wasn't they also thinking in depower Spider-man. And Didn't The Other plot made Spider-man stronger?

So if the other happens again, won't that make them do another retcon, and them as nothing like that ever happening, they just let the Other happens again...and,

Ok great now I've a headache!!
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay looks like maybe they're not going all Brand New Day on us in the papers.  Sunday's paper mentioned it was a flashback.  Guess it's their way to deal with having Peter single without throwing everything away.

You can see the strip HERE.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Alrighty.  I am personally glad the other never happened now (i think).  I didn't like that storyline. 

Green Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Green Flash

Dear Marvel, Please don't screw up the Ultimate Peter and MJ...that is all

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slinger

I like Ultimate Peter and Kitty better.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I like the current status.  Kitty and MJ might get into it in  an Ultimatm tie-in.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gmanfromheck

Quesada said he didn't know anything about it until it ran.

I was completely floored by it. But I think it’s really, really cool that Stan’s [newspaper strip writer Stan Lee] doing that.  I think it’s a great way to freshen the strip and bring some new cast members in. Basically, of course, it’s the same thing we’re doing with “Brand New Day.” I think it’ll be a good move.  I can’t wait to read it.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Ahhh.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gmanfromheck

Wonder why he thought it was a "good move"?

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Well he did One More Day sooooo you know he thinks everyhting is good. lol

I do like BND though.

Avatar image for knightinbatmanarmor
    knightinbatmanarmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the main reason they did brand new day was because so many people were outraged with THE OTHER, which personally, I loed. Because Spidey has been at the same point for his whole career, and only really went through a change when he got the black suit, which he ultimately lost, and it became one of his greatest foes. But, that aside, I think they did Brand NEw Day as a way to say, "hey, we're sorry. you didn't like it, so we will redo it. And at the same time, we'll screw with something else." Marvel has to do something to keep people reading and make sure peter keeps developing. That aside, I hope all turns out as it should be.

Clone of me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Clone of me

As of Memorial Day May 25, 2,009 the Newspaper comic strip is back to a Married Peter & Mary Jane. So eat dirt Joe Quedippy DOOSA  & do what Stan Lee does respect your fans.    

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.