Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

If you could choose, who would you cast as MJ in the MCU?

• 74 results
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just curious. I have a few ideas myself but I'm never sure of who to choose. :p

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sophie Turner

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some Asian girl only to pass the next few years reading comment of raging fans while eating popcorn :)

Anyway, I don't know :)

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided
    Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zendaya.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Revan-
    BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks: I would actually like to see Gwen... I know, unlikely to happen due to TASM movies, but just saying. Besides her no interest in anyone else I think.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424: Because she does not even look like MJ.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks: I would actually like to see Gwen... I know, unlikely to happen due to TASM movies, but just saying. Besides her no interest in anyone else I think.

Betty Brant and Gwen Stacy are MJ's predecessors.

No more Gwen. Let her rest in peace. Maybe Betty... nah JUST GIVE ME MARY JANE. Gonna search the web for a candidate cause right now no one comes to mind and Sophie Turner is a horrible candidate for MJ just like she is for Jean Grey.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By amazingfantasy

@ursaber: I would usually agree but this version of Spider-Man is the MCU one and the one that will stay for the years to come. Gwen is an important part in the spider-man mythos and I would like to not just me but the general public to see her, all things considered.

As for MJ my number one choice used to be Mary Elizabeth Winstead. But since in the MCU spidey people are teens and Mary is already on her 30's... Eh. I think she'd kill it as an adult MJ tho, the only thing she lacks would be the body MJ is supposed to have, kinda. But then again considering that Kirsten Dunst got to be MJ, well... :P

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy:

I understand what you mean about Gwen but I don't think she will appear in the MCU at all. Not just because of the ASM films (which are also a big factor) but because if MJ is gonna be set to appear and I believe she will, they're not gonna waste time or movies setting up Gwen when she'll die anyway. Yup, i"m certain Gwen won't appear. I think the team behind this movie is very fanatic about the Peter MJ romance both in 616 and the Ultimate Universe and since the MCU is a clever mix between the two, MJ will be the standout. Plus in the Ultimate Universe Gwen was merely a sister figure and never a full on romance. It always belonged to MJ.

As for the MJ candidate, Holland Roden but she's thirty and I'm still skeptic. Ariana Grande maybe LOL. Elena Satine though she's also over thirty.

Damn can't find any young actresses

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BJParks

@amazingfantasy@revan2424@krleavenger

I don't really watch a lot of other media, but I still want to add to the discussion, so here's a list of names I've seen others suggest. Compare ages to Tom Holland's 20 yrs.

Sophie Turner (20 yrs. old)
    Sophie Turner (20 yrs. old)
    Odeya Rush
    Odeya Rush
    Katherine McNamara (21 yrs. old)
    Katherine McNamara (21 yrs. old)
    AnnaSophia Robb (23 yrs. old)
    AnnaSophia Robb (23 yrs. old)
    Hailee Steinfeld (20 yrs. old)
    Hailee Steinfeld (20 yrs. old)

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ItsaWorld

They will probably, like Tom Holland and a few other cast, pick an actress who is not big leagues yet but shows a TON of potential. Someone that has been on a few films before and has become a good fit for what they plan to do.

For any other romance, after Liz I suggest trying a bit of Betty Brant...and next, they get to the one that will actually get everyone in the theaters.

FELICIA HARDY!!!!

Like everyone, even non comic fans know that Blac Cat and Spider-Man romanced at one point! No one has had the actual chance to showcase it. MCU is strong enough they can probably pull it off.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actress Lilii Simmons.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actress Lilii Simmons.

She's gorgeous. She can definitely work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@bjparks: Hailee can definitely pull it off. I can see some resemblance with her face and John Romita Sr's classic depiction of MJ. Just a red hair paintjob and red lipstick.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@itsaworld: I hear that Betty Brant will hook up with Ned Leeds in Homecoming, that she was Liz's friend or something. I personally can't picture the Betty romance. For the second MCU Spider Man movie it would be awesome if MJ is a full cast member as well as Felicia Hardy. Peter can be trying to date MJ as Peter but he would flirt and fight alongside Black Cat as Spider Man. Then the decision to choose between the two can be done in the third movie.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @super_ninja said:

Actress Lilii Simmons.

@itsaworld: I hear that Betty Brant will hook up with Ned Leeds in Homecoming, that she was Liz's friend or something. I personally can't picture the Betty romance. For the second MCU Spider Man movie it would be awesome if MJ is a full cast member as well as Felicia Hardy. Peter can be trying to date MJ as Peter but he would flirt and fight alongside Black Cat as Spider Man. Then the decision to choose between the two can be done in the third movie.

I feel like if we got an extra 3 films with the franchise (meaning 6...probably a no but i can dream) you could actually implement the romance of Felicia and Peter better.

Since we can't do that, I vote the second film implements this love Triangle between the two and ends with MJ winning, maybe even revealing she knows Peter is spiderman.

The only reason I'd want it within the second film is because we may only get 3 films...and I really would flip if the Spider-Man wedding was in the final one!

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @super_ninja said:

Actress Lilii Simmons.

I feel like if we got an extra 3 films with the franchise (meaning 6...probably a no but i can dream) you could actually implement the romance of Felicia and Peter better.

Since we can't do that, I vote the second film implements this love Triangle between the two and ends with MJ winning, maybe even revealing she knows Peter is spiderman.

The only reason I'd want it within the second film is because we may only get 3 films...and I really would flip if the Spider-Man wedding was in the final one!

Spider Man Homecoming: Intro to Spider Man's world in MCU, Liz Allan is the love interest that will ultimately fail (Peter will end up going to the dance with Michelle Gonzales (Zendaya)) and Vulture and Shocker will appear as villains.

Wishlist

MCU Spider Man 2: MJ and Black Cat. Villain can be Scorpion or Mysterio. In the end, Peter and MJ get together.

MCU Spider Man 3: Villain can be Kraven or Hobgoblin.

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BJParks

@ursaber said:
    @super_ninja said:

Actress Lilii Simmons.

She's gorgeous. She can definitely work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@bjparks: Hailee can definitely pull it off. I can see some resemblance with her face and John Romita Sr's classic depiction of MJ. Just a red hair paintjob and red lipstick.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That's true, she does look like her! If they did cast her, you just know they'd get her to sing something.

You know, I really like the bolded. It kinda condenses what I was thinking, since my three trilogy idea was stupid(ly long). Anyway, I'm guessing Silk (who would probably be played by Tiffany Espensen) will pop up at some point too, or get a spinoff.

Let's see...anyway, like @itsaworld said, I trust Marvel to pick the perfect MJ (for Tom Holland's Peter.)

P.S. I know he's contracted for DC, but if Marvel could just get J. K. Simmons to play J. J. Jameson, I'd be sold 100%! Even if it's further down the line, please Marvel just do it!

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks said:

That's true, she does look like her! If they did cast her, you just know they'd get her to sing something.

You know, I really like the bolded. It kinda condenses what I was thinking, since my three trilogy idea was stupid(ly long). Anyway, I'm guessing Silk (who would probably be played by Tiffany Espensen) will pop up at some point too, or get a spinoff.

Let's see...anyway, like @itsaworld said, I trust Marvel to pick the perfect MJ (for Tom Holland's Peter.)

P.S. I know he's contracted for DC, but if Marvel could just get J. K. Simmons to play J. J. Jameson, I'd be sold 100%! Even if it's further down the line, please Marvel just do it!

I doubt Silk will be in the MCU but you never know. I prefer not. I think Miles will appear in the big screen first than her.

JK Simmons is a phenomenal legendary actor. His portrayal as Jameson in the Raimi trilogy was PERFECT. Also you need to see the movie Whiplash. JK Simmons stars as a hardcore musical instructor with Miles Teller and it is INCREDIBLE.

Loading Video...

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well so far no definitive/"majority" answer yet, just a lot of options. As I imagined people aren't sure on who to choose just like me. LOL

BJParks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @super_ninja said:

Actress Lilii Simmons.

As much as I love the marriage, I don't want to see them get married in the 3rd film! That would kind of undermine the whole reason for him starting in high school in the first place. If Sony could find it in their hearts to extend the franchise by another trilogy ("C'mon Sony, I know you have it in you!"), then, the 4th or 5th film, yes, definitely.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjparks said:
    @itsaworld said:
    @ursaber said:
    @super_ninja said:

Actress Lilii Simmons.

As much as I love the marriage, I don't want to see them get married in the 3rd film! That would kind of undermine the whole reason for him starting in high school in the first place. If Sony could find it in their hearts to extend the franchise by another trilogy ("C'mon Sony, I know you have it in you!"), then, the 4th or 5th film, yes, definitely.

I understand your stance and am inclined to agree with it.

But, time passes in real time in the MCU. Peter was 16 years old in Civil War which means he was born in 2000 (like when Ultimate Spider Man comic came out). This means that Peter will be grown up in no time and by 2020 or 2022 we'll have adult Peter Parker.

I'd like to see the wedding in the big screen but were still a few years away and a lot can happen so I don't see the marriage as any sort of guarantee. Just a possible possibility.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zendaya.

I agree, people are literally throwing her casting as Garbage from literally 2 seconds of screen time? I think she'll so great.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone not black to fulfill Disneys pc agenda I like Zendaya but if your going make a love interest for spidey and cast her just make a new character it's not unheard of look at Nolan batman who the hell is kate whatever her name was? Make a New character not horribly altered character from comics

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

NO!

Why not ?? Sophie Turner is gorgeous, young, good body and is a good actress.

Her performance as Jean Grey was static, boring and stale. Her voice is not voluptuous or seductive. She could never pull off Mary Jane's dynamic character, her personality, charm and sass. She's still Sansa Stark no matter where she treads. Also, she's super tall.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @thor_parker82 said:
    @ursaber said:

NO!

Why not ?? Sophie Turner is gorgeous, young, good body and is a good actress.

Her performance as Jean Grey was static, boring and stale. Her voice is not voluptuous or seductive. She could never pull off Mary Jane's dynamic character, her personality, charm and sass. She's still Sansa Stark no matter where she treads. Also, she's super tall.

I disagree.....who would you pick for MJ then ??

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yassassin

Zoë Kravitz with reddish her. Just cause.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree.....who would you pick for MJ then ??

Hailee Steinfeld can definitely pull it off. I can see some resemblance with her face and John Romita Sr's classic depiction of MJ. Just a red hair paintjob and red lipstick. (20 years old)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And then there's Lili Simmons (23 years old)

No Caption Provided

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailee Steinfeild isn´t pretty enough to be MJ in my opinion, Lily Simmons on the other hand can pull it off looks-wise, I haven´t seen her acting.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By magnetic_eye

@thor_parker82 said:

Hailee Steinfeild isn´t pretty enough to be MJ in my opinion, Lily Simmons on the other hand can pull it off looks-wise, I haven´t seen her acting.

Check Lily Simmons out in "True Detective" and "Banshee" and if anyone is wondering, "NO!" it not because of the sex scenes, it's because she's a great actor. :P

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:

Check her out in "True Detective" and "Banshee" and if anyone is wondering, "NO!" it not because of the sex scenes, it's because she's a great actor. :P

Thor_Parker, she may not look pretty enough in the picture I posted, but you can't deny the similar looks she has with the MJ drawing of John Romita Sr I posted below her's. The facial features and long hair are correct, as is their more rounded lower face/jaw.

With the addition of makeup she can become very beautiful to tackle the role.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By knightwriteri

@thor_parker82: @ursaber: Turner is an inch shorter than Zendaya and most people seem to have no problem (I have many) with the possibility of her playing MJ so saying she's supertall and that's problematic is a bit silly when A. MJ's a supermodel who are generally required to be at least 5'8 and B. Holland's only an inch shorter give him shoe lifts in a few scenes and you're set.

She's Holland's age to and as Sony has consistently cast love interest significantly younger than the Peter actors we're going to be lucky if they cast someone who isn't still in high school there's no way someone older than Holland like Lili would be cast.

And she was one of the better aspects of Apocalypse and why I want the X-Men rights to be sold to Marvel after X-Men Supernova instead of ASAP they might actually deliver a halfway decent Dark Phoenix Saga instead of whatever that was in The Last Stand.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ursaber

@knightwriteri:

Understand your stance but I just can't picture her as a Mary Jane or her being able to pull off her dynamic, sassy and seductive character. Her performance in Apocalypse wasn't all that great. She still feels like Sansa Stark.

And she's already in the X-Men films so she can't come over to Marvel until her contract expires.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By knightwriteri

@ursaber: Ideally I'd just want them to have large auditions and pick an unknown talent that resembles and can pull off the part. So many actresses would kill for that role.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Ideally I'd just want them to have large auditions and pick an unknown talent that resembles and can pull off the part. So many actresses would kill for that role.

Yeah but the whole point of this thread is for us to find a candidate regardless. Aside from Sophie Turner, who would you pick to be MJ?

I already suggested Hailee Steinfeld (20yrs) and Lili Simmons (23yrs). Look them up. In a previous post I posted a drawing of MJ by John Romita Sr and a photo of Hailee and they share similarities in facial structure.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailee has a degree of resemblance and has the right height (most actresses I've seem presented in the past that ressemble MJ facially are either short or too old) I haven't seen her in anything since True Grit though so I don't know her range and would be worried they'd gravitate toward the Ultimate version of MJ if they cast her. (not that I don't love that version but we need 616)

There were several actresses that were higher on my list than Sophie but I don't have any that are better than her in my head at the moment as I stopped fancasting a few months ago over my frustration with how people were okay with or even presented major alterations to MJ's character or history to accommodate Michelle being MJ on this site in there own words because Zendaya's hot.

Maybe they want to go the full diversity route before MJ we get raceswapped Liz in the first film, Silk as a tamer and more PC analogue for Felicia before MJ becomes the main love interst in the third film. Or they'll just kill Peter on his front lawn in the second or third film since Marvel and Sony have already confessed they are inevitably going to replace Peter with Miles in the MCU and that they are actively conditioning people to accept it.

ardnehsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bella Thorne would get my vote for MJ. She may not be the best actress but she definitely looks the part

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailee has a degree of resemblance and has the right height (most actresses I've seem presented in the past that ressemble MJ facially are either short or too old) I haven't seen her in anything since True Grit though so I don't know her range and would be worried they'd gravitate toward the Ultimate version of MJ if they cast her. (not that I don't love that version but we need 616)

There were several actresses that were higher on my list than Sophie but I don't have any that are better than her in my head at the moment as I stopped fancasting a few months ago over my frustration with how people were okay with or even presented major alterations to MJ's character or history to accommodate Michelle being MJ on this site in there own words because Zendaya's hot.

Maybe they want to go the full diversity route before MJ we get raceswapped Liz in the first film, Silk as a tamer and more PC analogue for Felicia before MJ becomes the main love interst in the third film. Or they'll just kill Peter on his front lawn in the second or third film since Marvel and Sony have already confessed they are inevitably going to replace Peter with Miles in the MCU and that they are actively conditioning people to accept it.

We didn't know Tom Holland's acting range until Civil War and he was downright awesome. Marvel has a history of choosing its actors well.

For me to even picture or like Sophie Turner as MJ (and I'm a massive Game of Thrones fan) I'd need to see an audition or something and her interacting with Tom and breaking new ground in her acting by employing a more sensual and self confident character rather than the victim she's always played as Sansa. I still think its supremely unlikely her casting solely because she's with Fox.

Liz being raceswapped is not a big deal seeing as her being a white blonde is too indicative of Gwen and Peter has met many blondes in his life. Her being changed is reminiscent of the Spectacular Spider Man cartoon and she was pretty cool. I certainly hope they don't introduce Silk cause in the first place she never really became a love interest. Felicia is the far better option. Peter will not score with Liz in this movie and he'll probably end up going to the dance with Michelle but they won't actually get together. MJ will probably be a cameo in the film. For the second movie I'm hoping for MJ and Felicia to appear as full cast members with Peter trying to date MJ as Peter but hanging around Black Cat as Spider Man. The villain can be Scorpion. By the time the third movie comes Peter and MJ are together full on.

Its actually scary that Peter being killed off is a possibility. However he has a contract for six films, he already appeared in Civil War and he's slated to appear in the two Avengers movies plus his own Spider Man trilogy so I don't believe that will happen. The team behind Spider Man in the MCU adores Spider Man and Mary Jane. I believe that after Tom Holland's run on Spider Man ends, Miles Morales will eventually take up the mantle of the webslinger when all the current actors reach the end of their contracts and their age is a factor. They probably will do this Generations thing Marvel Comics is promoting soon.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: @ardnehsan: Thorne would be decent.

I haven't watched Game of Thrones (The only MA programs I watch are Marvel's Netflix shows and FX's Legion) so you are a greater authority on that topic.

The idea that the MCU crew are big Peter MJ shippers is blown massively out of proportion if you look at the interview the director just complimented the manga look of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane not the content I don't think he did near as much research as Webb or Raimi and that's all people have to go on for Marvel Studios sentiment towards the pairing. In all honesty I think that perception is just another way to rationalize why it's so awesome and totally okay that we got another reboot so soon rather than let the previous series run it's natural course first because the Marvel Studios brand/logo can turn anything to gold.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.