I am done with Spider-Man's lame ass drama stories

#1 Posted by TakethatBeeys (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Either as a kid or an adult, it's never enguaging and it's the same thing over and over with the same resolution till next plot. Just go kick some ass Spidey, im not pity partying you anymore.

The more I see Spider-Man get sad or feel burdened with responsibilites, I cringe so much how this writing is supposed to make me feel sorry for his faults when he has so many fortunate abilities, accomplishments, and things to be proud off compared to other heroes.

#2 Edited by jb681131 (3124 posts) - - Show Bio

@takethatbeeys said:

Either as a kid or an adult, it's never enguaging and it's the same thing over and over with the same resolution till next plot. Just go kick some ass Spidey, im not pity partying you anymore.

The more I see Spider-Man get sad or feel burdened with responsibilites, I cringe so much how this writing is supposed to make me feel sorry for his faults when he has so many fortunate abilities, accomplishments, and things to be proud off compared to other heroes.

You've been reading the wrong stories then !

Here's a few books to change your mind:

#3 Posted by Yassassin (7701 posts) - - Show Bio

Same, most of his "real life problems" never really made since or resonated with me.

#4 Posted by DrArcania (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Em... he is dramatic character or not ???

#5 Posted by Takeshi57 (322 posts) - - Show Bio

@drarcania said:

Em... he is dramatic character or not ???

There's a difference between being dramatic and having Peter Pan syndrome. If May stayed dead, Peter would have been able to eventually move on, but no, he decided that being empty inside was better.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#6 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't mind to be a jerk. Not this thread is super lame, very much so. It's obvious that this OP knows nothing about Spider-Man.

#7 Edited by Soar (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@takeshi57: I agree with you on that, I think if they would have Replaced OMD with May actually dying it would have given year's of good run's. peter Dealing with his loss, Feeling all alone but having his wife, And daughter be there to comfort him to remind him he isn't alone. Now many of my friend's and myself included think she should have been killed all long ago, But marvel attempted to make her character more interesting my making her get married to JJJ's Father.... All in all if Marvel want's to there is a lot of potential to make more interesting stories.

#8 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

@soar said:

@takeshi57: I agree with you on that, I think if they would have Replaced OMD with May actually dying it would have given year's of good run's. peter Dealing with his loss, Feeling all alone but having his wife, And daughter be there to comfort him to remind him he isn't alone. Now many of my friend's and myself included think she should have been killed all long ago, But marvel attempted to make her character more interesting my making her get married to JJJ's Father.... All in all if Marvel want's to there is a lot of potential to make more interesting stories.

Linkara in a video pointed out that Spider-Man with his identity exposed could of been a GOOD THING. It would of made a brand new different adventure for the Parkers to tackle. Something that is a breath of fresh air but understandable and something we could see happening.

Stories would showcase how many people were out to get them along with how many people Peter had changed. Perhaps delving deep into why Peter puts on the suit in the first place and what it does to those around him, good or bad. And of course Aunt May's death would mean Peter would be in mourning with his wife and we learn how to move on from tragedy. A situation like that would grant a story about staying hopeful when the world turns black. I think that's a story we could definitely use more of in present days.

#9 Edited by arthurkerr (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah i found it odd he could find nothning to do and Daredevil can walk outside and find tons of things going on. I mean just how hard was he looking.

#10 Posted by Takeshi57 (322 posts) - - Show Bio
@soar said:

Linkara in a video pointed out that Spider-Man with his identity exposed could of been a GOOD THING. It would of made a brand new different adventure for the Parkers to tackle. Something that is a breath of fresh air but understandable and something we could see happening.

Stories would showcase how many people were out to get them along with how many people Peter had changed. Perhaps delving deep into why Peter puts on the suit in the first place and what it does to those around him, good or bad. And of course Aunt May's death would mean Peter would be in mourning with his wife and we learn how to move on from tragedy. A situation like that would grant a story about staying hopeful when the world turns black. I think that's a story we could definitely use more of in present days.

It would have been a good thing for the readers, but not the writers! Remember that it all comes down to what the writers want and think is right, even if the majority hate their decisions. Maybe the writers got bored of MJ and decided that it would be better if they saw other people (though, TBH, having them get a divorce would have been better) by having them grow apart from each other.

TBH, it could have been a hell of a lot worse! Peter could have wished for everything to go back to when he was a kid, so the last decades really would have been a huge waste and he'd be back at school!

#11 Posted by StrongTower7 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter's real life is what makes him so amazing.

If you don't like characters who are meant to be relatable and heart-grabbing like Peter, you'll love these guys. Aquaman is a king. Shazam, albeit a 10 year old boy, is a god. Superman, albeit a farmer and reporter, is perfect in every way and keeps getting more perfect as the decades go by. Batman is a billionaire. Wonder Woman is a princess.

You don't need to be a king, a god, a billionaire, a princess, or just straight up perfect in every way to be a great superhero.

Peter can't even pay rent for his apartment but he still saves NY 10 times over on a routine basis. Spider-Man is more than his powers, he represents everything the normal person goes through and the New York spirit. The heart and spirit of Peter Parker is what makes Spider-Man so special. Perhaps you haven't read the right Spidey comics, but once you appreciate Peter's hardships you will fall totally in love with the character of Spider-Man.

#12 Posted by ItsaWorld (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

You don't need to be a king, a god, a billionaire, a princess, or just straight up perfect in every way to be a great superhero.

You just described how current Spider-Man is written.

He's a billionare with dark loathing problems where he looms and has tons of women lust for him yet they all turn evil for he can never find love because his powers are a horrible curse that he is BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Everytime a writer makes Peter take a step forward, the next one makes him take 2 steps back.

Superman is far more relatable that Peter Parker is in current times, because they grant him a human touch in his current stories...and that's insane. The everyman super hero is no more the every man but some sorta Tony Stark/Batman hybrid that is dumber than life and is purposfully written to be immature and irresponsible.

Thing is, we have seen him move on from teh death of uncle ben just for them to bring it up again. Make something new that makes sense...ist not so hard.

#13 Edited by StrongTower7 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@itsaworld: Fair point, perhaps his current “responsibilities” are not as authentic and relatable as those of the classic Peter Parker we all love dearly. But in spite of all the boo-hooing and the women lusting after him that’s going on, here’s why the billionaire Peter that we currently have is still not the same as Bruce Wayne:

PETER'S SCENARIO: Peter earned his fortune and doesn’t rely on his status or his tech to be inherently Spider-Man. (That sweet tech of his is pretty amazing, but that’s just cherry-on-top stuff. He won’t be any less Spidey without that fancy stuff.) Peter used his skills and brains to independently achieve entrepreneurial success albeit as SpOck. I would still consider Peter an everyman because he knows what it’s like to be a hop, skip, and leap away from poverty and then achieve success from his own merit. That is still a strong “everyman” narrative in my eyes. His current situation is very similar to a lot of successful people today that came from very humble beginnings (i.e. Denzel Washington, Conor McGregor). They worked hard, perfected their talent, and obtained immense success. Peter didn’t inherit anything from a certain Thomas Wayne and then not give a darn about the corporation. Parker Industries is his baby. His corporation and that genius brain of his are both attached to the same spine, everything came from him. He has done a lot of good through Parker Industries, starting with giving Aunt May a perfect new hip. I see the current Peter as being what an everyman can become if they work hard.

BRUCE'S SCENARIO: On the contrary, Batman did not earn his fortune and relies on his status and his tech to be inherentlyBatman. (Without his fancy tech, vehicles, weapons, gadgets, and Batcave, he is not Batman. He’s still got the grit, determination, cleverness, and combat prowess without his gadgets, but all that fancy tech is the yin to his yang, unlike Spidey.) Bruce did not use his skills and brains to achieve his entrepreneurial success because he was already born into Rockefeller-level wealth. Yes, Tony Stark was also born into wealth, but at least he has the brain necessary to continue (and outdo) what Howard started while still being an active Iron Man. Bruce is just a figurehead who was lucky to be the son of the Wayne Enterprises CEO and somehow keeps the company afloat. Bruce has neither Tony’s capable brain for continuity nor Peter’s humble origins. Bruce’s narrative is completely opposite to even current Peter. With regards to wealth, current Peter and Bruce are fundamentally different and superficially similar. Not fundamentally the same and superficially different. So, that bolded statement I made is still not true for Peter because he was an amazing superhero long before he became a billionaire. Now he just decided to capitalize on that gifted mind of his.

Of course, that probably wasn’t your point when you quoted me, but I hope you can still see that the everyman essence of Peter has not been compromised by being richer. He’s just not totally himself right now because he was always the “friendly neighborhood” type of Peter, not CEO Peter. He is still an everyman, albeit a successful, transitioning, mid-life crisis one. By the way, if the writers want to take away Peter’s wealth, I’m all for it. It’s not like he’s any stranger to being financially unstable, it’ll be nothing new and back to the classic Peter. It'll probably put him at peace again.

And Peter has not become a god, a king, a prince/princess, or perfect in every way. He’s just got some more money and cool tech now, that's all. If anything, he’s just facing problems that he would have never faced in his previous socioeconomic environment. If I was bullied all the time and could count all the women I knew in my life on 2 hands, I don’t blame Peter for lady trouble now that he’s hot stuff. And if I was able to do the things that Peter could do, I might lose my mind on some days, too. Having said that, I’m totally fine if you think the women stuff and the crybaby stuff is garbage (as I do think it’s a weird time to complain about your powers after you’ve matured so much already as a hero), but I still don’t think it’s accurate to think that he’s not an everyman anymore. He’s not some perfect embodiment of ideals that pretty much every popular DC superhero is. Nowhere near, just a little discombobulated, and in desperate need of some manning-up from the writers.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#14 Edited by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

@strongtower7: lol, no matter what people tell you, Peter hasn't suddenly become a playboy ever since he became successful. He briefly dated Lien Tang and now he is starting a relationship with Mockingbird, and that is it.

Anyways, on topic, I personally don't think Peter was ever an "everyman", and I hate it when writers write stories just to portray him as such. That's the reason why Peter's stories can get stale and he hardly ever makes meaningful progress without it all being torn down (see: ASM v4 31). He is one of the most relatable heroes, but that is because people can identify with his humble background or his bullied childhood or his wit. In truth, however, Peter is no more like any regular person than someone like Steve Rogers, or Tony Stark, or even Clark Kent, is. He is probably a bit more normal than Batman, though, who is a complete wish fulfillment character.

#15 Edited by StrongTower7 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: Yes, I suppose Peter's current wealth takes away from his original relatability, and thanks for the playboy correction haha. I respect your differing opinion on the whole "everyman" situation; I personally think he is an everyman for anyone in their twenties or younger. I also agree that there's this unnecessary need to keep him stuck in hardship to maintain his everyman vibe, and, thus, I think him being rich right now is a perfectly feasible depiction of a character who is supposed to represent becoming wiser and smarter after every hardship. Steve Rogers and Clark Kent don't need to worry about making their normal lives better because they really don't have amazing skills that would warrant extravagant success like Peter, Tony, or even Reed. They're not scientific geniuses or politicians, they don't have to worry about being ambitious for personal gain, no offense to them. Current Peter is like a believable Bruce Wayne and that doesn't change who he always has been (in my eyes).

#16 Edited by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

@strongtower7: well I'm not even in my twenties, but I think you got me wrong - I think Peter is (and always has been) a RELATABLE character - as in, we can relate to his motives, struggles, and personality. However, I don't think he is an everyman. I'll copy a post I made on another forum regarding my reasoning since I was unclear before (and pardon the exasperated tone, I don't mean it towards you - it was from the middle of an intense argument lol):

I think you, and everyone else who keeps harping on the word "everyman" really needs to realize that repeating something incessantly doesn't make it true. Whether or not Peter owns a successful company, he is still the dude who hacked Tony Stark with ease, has an IQ higher than anyone who has ever existed in real life, matched intelligence with Reed Richards, married/dated a supermodel/B-List celebrity for a long while, published a successful book, has parents who were super spies and a sister who worked with SHIELD, and has the perspective that can only come with saving the world countless times. If you honestly think that an "everyman" (or you, or me, or whoever) is anything like that, I'm sorry to inform you that you suffer from grievous delusions of grandeur, and you might need to see a psychologist.

However, I doubt that you do. I think people who continue with this "everyman" bullshit are just those who don't want to see Peter receive any real character growth or achieve any sort of lasting success based on his immense talents, and just use that accursed word as a rallying point which they can use to try and veil their intentions. After all, saying "I want Spider-Man to be an everyman like he has ALWAYS (wink wink) been" sounds much better than saying "I don't want Spider-Man to ever properly grow up". As for why, I can't honestly say. Is it jealousy, to see a character who started off like as an unpopular, impoverished school kid becoming so successful, while many readers (including myself) aren't likely to achieve the same? Is it just a hatred of change and progress, or an overly strong nostalgic effect? Is it just finding things to complain about because the 616 stories must always suck as long as OMD isn't resolved? I have no clue, because I'm not one of you and I can't speak for you. Either way, please cease spreading such obvious misinformation.

#17 Posted by StrongTower7 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: Well hot damn, I stand corrected HAHAHA! No worries at all about the tone (thank you for the heads-up, though lol) it actually made your point as clear as day. I now know that the "everyman" term does not carry a positive connotation, and is not synonymous with being relatable. As someone who holds Peter so dearly to his heart, much obliged!

#18 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: Well hot damn, I stand corrected HAHAHA! No worries at all about the tone (thank you for the heads-up, though lol) it actually made your point as clear as day. I now know that the "everyman" term does not carry a positive connotation, and is not synonymous with being relatable. As someone who holds Peter so dearly to his heart, much obliged!

no problem, and I didn't want you to feel offended so I felt I had to put that tone disclaimer there. I was too lazy to edit it and write it more politely :/

#19 Posted by StrongTower7 (257 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099:Yeah of course, no worries! I feel you, it was perfectly explained there lol

Avatar image for danteisterrible
#20 Posted by Danteisterrible (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.