How would you rate Neck Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man #1/#802?

Posted by animehunter (8851 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: How would you rate Neck Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man #1/#802? (13 votes)

A+ 38%
A 31%
A- 8%
B+ 0%
B 8%
B- 8%
C+ 0%
C 8%
C- 0%
D+ 0%
D 0%
D- 0%
F+ 0%
F 0%
F- 0%

As you know Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man #1/#802 was released last week and I'm not afraid to say it was the BEST issue of Spider-Man in my opinion I've read in 10 years.

Nick Spencer basically took everything that happened in the last 10 years and wiped it clean, he showed the consequences of what Peter did or didn't do, he gave us a book that actually felt like I was reading Spider-Man and a Peter that finally owned up to what he did, be we were solely missing that, which I'm sorry to say we did not get from Dan Slott, maybe with his Renew Your Vows barring the villain, but for the majority of his I would have say no.

and lets not forget Black Cat, who is now good and is fighting along side Spider-Man

but the biggest thing in my opinion is Mary Jane and that she's finally back in the book and not only in the book but this

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by JakeFuryV2 (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

A

#3 Posted by ursaber (10626 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the best Amazing Spider Man issue in the 2010's or since OMD.

It was the SECOND best Spider Man issue cause Number 1 goes to Spectacular 6 with the Jameson Interview.

#4 Edited by ZariusII (6113 posts) - - Show Bio

B

Some of the jokes did'nt land, and as much as I love it, the Peter and MJ reunion was rushed

#5 Posted by ursaber (10626 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii said:

B

Some of the jokes did'nt land, and as much as I love it, the Peter and MJ reunion was rushed

Maybe it was rushed in-story. But out-story, we've been waiting for that for the past 11 years. Its about damn time.

Loading Video...

#6 Posted by animehunter (8851 posts) - - Show Bio
@zariusii said:

@animehunter

@ursaber

@marvelman92

@eto

@mizerous

@blackspidey2099

Nick Spencer takes over ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ and will focus on the Spidey basics: Laughs and love

The relationship between Spider-Man/Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson came up. They were once an all-time comic book couple, but were not known as an item anymore. Slott even said during his time writing Spider-Man that fans shouldn’t expect a rekindling of any spider-flames.

Spencer, like many fans, assumed rules were in place to keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane apart. Quesada told him that was never Marvel’s intention when they decided to erase Spider-Man’s marriage to Mary Jane from continuity years ago, during the Spider-Man “One More Day” story.

“Once I had that piece of the puzzle in place, everything else came together and improved massively,” Spencer told The Washington Post’s Comic Riffs.

Suddenly, knowing Mary Jane could be a romantic part of the story made Spencer’s plans for the series “one thousand times better.”

Marvel’s former top couple are front and center at the beginning and end of Spencer’s first “The Amazing Spider-Man” tale. The story opens with a flashback: Spider-Man (in his classic black-and-white suit) and Mary Jane are atop a skyscraper, both smiling, both in love, both happy. It’s a nod to one of Spencer’s favorite Spider-Man stories ever, a “The Sensational Spider-Man” annual written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Salvador Larroca in 2006.

During the issue, Spidey endures classic Peter Parker problems such as losing his job, rent worries and roommate issues. Mary Jane can do nothing but laugh in Peter’s face at the ridiculousness of supervillains not being the worst part of his life. At the end, Mary Jane lets Spider-Man (and readers) know she’ll be there with him for the good and bad during these new adventures.

“It’s kind of funny how it all turned out,” Spencer said. “Obviously, it’s a huge moment for the fans — they’re very excited. I’m very glad we got it in there.”

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#7 Posted by blackspidey2099 (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give it a solid A- or B+. It definitely isn't close to being the best Spider-Man issue I've read in 10 years or anything like that, but it was a really good issue that was much better than what I expected it to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#8 Edited by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd give it a solid A- or B+. It definitely isn't close to being the best Spider-Man issue I've read in 10 years or anything like that, but it was a really good issue that was much better than what I expected it to be.

#9 Posted by morpheus_ (35068 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's be honest, Peter and MJ being reunited is the only reason people are gushing over this issue. It was decent, but far from great.

#10 Posted by ZariusII (6113 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's be honest, Peter and MJ being reunited is the only reason people are gushing over this issue. It was decent, but far from great.

I'm one of the biggest Peter/MJ fans there and I still think their reunion was among the issue's weaker points. I agree, some people don't seem to care how unearned it was. I still like it, but there should have been build up throughout the issue, MJ only has two scenes and ten years of distance should have been covered in more detail...maybe if they'd lost the two epilogues and devoted more time to the reunion in those pages it would have been better.

#11 Posted by morpheus_ (35068 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: I grew up with Peter and MJ married, so while I have not been vocal for the marriage to be restored, it's what I always thought was right. My only worry is that Spencer could very well change his mind, or use this as a surefire way to draw a crowd, even readers that stopped reading Spider-Man for various reasons. He can either build on this or dismantle it, and only time will tell which. The flashback from Fraction's run at the opening of the issue is what I found most encouraging, even more so than the scene in the end.

#12 Posted by ursaber (10626 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: I grew up with Peter and MJ married, so while I have not been vocal for the marriage to be restored, it's what I always thought was right. My only worry is that Spencer could very well change his mind, or use this as a surefire way to draw a crowd, even readers that stopped reading Spider-Man for various reasons. He can either build on this or dismantle it, and only time will tell which. The flashback from Fraction's run at the opening of the issue is what I found most encouraging, even more so than the scene in the end.

The flashback to Fraction's issue was sorta botched by the OMD like wake up of Peter not being with her anymore in the present.

#13 Posted by Puny_Banner (1025 posts) - - Show Bio

It was okay.

#14 Posted by g2_ (12463 posts) - - Show Bio

A+

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.