How close is Garfield Spidey to 616 Spidey? (In terms of speed/reactions/agility etc.)

Posted by tj849 (8569 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: How close is Garfield Spidey to 616 Spidey? (In terms of speed/reactions/agility etc.) (20 votes)

He has already surpassed him in the speed department. 5%
They're around the same 15%
Hes not on 616 Spideys level but hes pretty close 25%
Not even close at all. 55%
Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
#1 Posted by deactivated-5b466be4b5981 (3660 posts) - - Show Bio

Not close at all

Garfield spidey is Hypersonic.

#2 Posted by Green_Tea (10578 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Spider-Man is several miles ahead of Garfield's Spidey, no contest.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#3 Posted by christianrapper (6370 posts) - - Show Bio

he has speed feats the 616 spidey can't even dream about. he out paced electricity.

#4 Posted by Thiagl156 (164 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2af6bb1f992
#5 Posted by deactivated-5b2af6bb1f992 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

he has speed feats the 616 spidey can't even dream about. he out paced electricity.

No Caption Provided

#6 Posted by MainJP (6435 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close. No sir. Nuh uh.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#7 Edited by christianrapper (6370 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenous45 said:
@christianrapper said:

No Caption Provided

I don't remember spidey ever out pacing electricity like spidey did in that ny times square scene.

Loading Video...

616 spidey has never done anything like this. he actually out paced electricity, caught a car and saved several people from touching the rails before they got electrocuted. he saved the people after the electric charge touched the rails. he didn't just aim dodge or use his spider sense to dodge before someone shot electricity at him. this is flash type fast. I am pretty darn sure the writers had no idea how electricity works or just didn't care, but he still did it.

#8 Posted by deactivated-5b2af6bb1f992 (753 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper said:
@ravenous45 said:
@christianrapper said:

No Caption Provided

I don't remember spidey ever out pacing electricity like spidey did in that ny times square scene.

Loading Video...

616 spidey has never done anything like this. he actually out paced electricity, caught a car and saved several people from touching the rails before they got electrocuted. he saved the people after the electric charge touched the rails. he didn't just aim dodge or use his spider sense to dodge before someone shot electricity at him. this is flash type fast. I am pretty darn sure the writers had no idea how electricity works or just didn't care, but he still did it.

@ravenous45 said:

@christianrapper: Not natural electricity, plus it's outlier.

Not natural electricity, but electricity propagation speed even in home appliances can easily be 50%-99% the speed of light.

However.

Taking a close look, the scene is terribly inconsistent. For reference, here's how fast natural lightning is:

Lightning is a giant spark of electricity. A typical lightning flash contains about 30,000 amps and 300 million volts. This compares to a standard household current of 15 amps and about 120 volts. Typically, a lightning flash is only 1 to 2 inches wide. The step leader that initiates the lightning flash propagates downward from the cloud at a rate of about 320,000 ft per second or about 220,000 miles per hour. The return stroke (the current that cause the visible flash) moves upward at a speed of about 320,000,000 ft per second or about 220,000,000 miles per hour (about 1/3 the speed of light). In comparison, the sound of thunder travels at about 1100 ft per second or about 750 miles per hour. Source

Take a look at about 01:23. The (visible) electricity has reached the surface of the cop cruiser, and is beginning to touch its right underside. During the slomo scene at 1:25, the webbing from Peter's busted webshooter at least an inch or two. During the pan from his busted webshooter to his working one at about 1:26, we see the electricity bolt has still not reached the left underside of the cruiser, even though it should be traveling at least a third the speed of light propagating across the metal underside of the car. It glistens, as if the electrons were still interacting with the air molecules, but the bolt does not propagate any further.

And yet, within the next five seconds, at 1:31, a different visible bolt is able to travel the entire distance through the gutter to the railing, even though the other one is still stationary. It begins arcing towards two people whose hands are very near the railing (less than a foot). Keep in mind that lightning only takes three milliseconds to course through a human body (Source). But let's be very generous and say that Electro's electricity is only as fast as a man-made shock. Then it should propagate through a human body within half a second. Air is not as good a conductor as humans are, but given that it was also coursing through better conducting metal (presumably), let's assume we can take the average propagation speed to be the same as through a human.

So, within a tenth of a second, both of those people should be dead, as the foot-long distance to each person will take that much time or less considering the 10-20 ft/s propagation speed of a man-made shock.

Remember that Spidey is still hanging up practically stationary during this whole panning through the people scene. Finally, at 1:42 he starts to move. I would say from the distance the cop car falls alone we can say that more than half a second has elapsed, and those poor bystanders are already being electrocuted. But, let's give it the benefit of the doubt. At 1:46, we see the panicked crowd running, and on average (except for the painfully slow turn of the guy with the cap on), the people have taken two steps each. At least two seconds have now elapsed between the slomo scene and now. Those people are definitely dead by now.

Still, let's assume they're not. He spends several seconds saving cap-man, as the man has enough time to turn (and for several people to begin running past him) from 1:48 to 1:49. At least three additional seconds (I am being very conservative here!) have passed. Yet somehow, at 1:55, the guy has still yet to touch the railing. Still. People have been running for at least five seconds (an extremely low estimate), and he still has yet to touch the railing even though he was in such a position he was practically falling on it for support. (His positioning also changed, by the way, from practically stretched out to mostly upright. Pay attention to where the electricity is when Spidey's webbing hits his arm. It's practically at his hand, less than half a foot away. Now look at 1:56. The electricity is now at least two feet away from his webbed arm.

(Final nitpick: when he saves everyone, the electricity courses comfortably mere feet away from their faces. In reality, the ionization of the poorly conducting air should give them all first-degree burns.)

Basically, this scene only works by taking advantage of human perception, and our brain's interpretations to stitch coherence out of briefly flashing images.

Compare that with 616 Spidey, who routinely dodges gunfire, has dodged electric bolts even while sick, dodges sniper bullets moving in excess of 4000 ft/s, and can stop bullets after they are fired. (Credit: all except the last one's are scans from @blackspidey2099's Greatest Feats Compilation.)

In short, 616 Spidey is faster than TASM 2 Spidey by leagues.

Later!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#10 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: damn that's some crazy good analysis there. BTW, I could swear I had that last feat in my respect thread as well, but if it isn't, do you have a source so I can add it? Thanks.

#11 Posted by deactivated-5b2af6bb1f992 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: electricity is not even close to 50% of the speed of light, that's just all kinds of wrong.

#12 Edited by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenous45 said:

@bjparks: electricity is not even close to 50% of the speed of light, that's just all kinds of wrong.

I know it sounds hard to believe, but electricity actually can travel above 50% of the speed of light Hereare some sources.

Note, the electrons themselves can't move often more than a couple centimeters per second. But virtual photons (carriers of the electromagnetic force) travel at the speed of light, only impeded by insulators in a material. As they are exchanged through a conductive material, the net effect - the electricity being conducted - can have propagation speeds above half the speed of light.

So why is electricity propagation so slow in water and air (and other poor insulators)? Locally, the speed of electricity is being conserved, and is still a significant percentage of the speed of light. But globally (overall) the electromagnetic field fizzles out as the electrons can't exchange the virtual photons, and so the overall electricity doesn't move so quickly.

Like, imagine if you put the Flash against a bunch of Captain Cold made roadblocks (from ice). Full speed, then hard stop when the path closes. Another path opens up. Full speed, then hard stop again. And so on. He may still be moving crazy fast, but an outside viewer would only see his bulk speed and think he's walking or something.

Hope I cleared things up!

@blackspidey2099 said:

@bjparks: damn that's some crazy good analysis there. BTW, I could swear I had that last feat in my respect thread as well, but if it isn't, do you have a source so I can add it? Thanks.

Thanks man! Um, I didn't see it in yours, but I'll double-check and let you know by tomorrow.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#13 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by BJParks (592 posts) - - Show Bio

@bjparks: dw about it, I found it here:

Spider-Man is fast enough to web up travelling bullets (uncited)

It's a horrible scan though, mind if I use yours? It's also uncited, I have a feeling it's from ASM 576 but IDK why I think that and I'm too lazy to check just now. If you remember which issue you got it from please let me know.

Nice, but it isn't mine though. (I got it off the Peter Parker Respect Thread from Reddit.) I'm not sure what the issue is either, but I'll keep a lookout for it.

#15 Posted by g2_ (11945 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even close.

#16 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5785 posts) - - Show Bio

He's faster then the feats I've seen form 616. Electro drained New York's power, there is no reason to assume his electricity is fake electricity.

Spider-Man - "..he's electric, he's like a battery..."

Electro - "you locked me in a prison, that runs on electricity.... I can feel it in my veins.... you can't contain it, it's a force of nature. Like me."

These are actual quotes from the movie.

Arguing against it for sloppy editing in regards to humans moving is unreasonable. It is fiction, and in fiction even normal humans do impossible things all the time.

Maybe 616 has better feats than those referenced above, but only one comes close, and it's difficult to say if it's better at all than dodging electricity from short range

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.