Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Does Spider-Man need a sidekick?

• 59 results
    MadComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MadComics

Some superheroes have sidekicks, and others don't. But do you think Spider-Man should and could have a sidekick? We all know it won't happen, and if it does. That will change Spider-Man forever. He has had partners alot of times, but do you think he is too young to have such a person to be his sidekick? Or maybe himself could be a sidekick to someone else. Like (out of the blue) Daredevil, or Moonknight. And do you think any of the people of who he has partnered up with think of him as a sidekick? So many questions that we may never know about. 

No Caption Provided

MattDemers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#1  Edited By MattDemers

The point of Spider-Man is that he's still trying to figure out who he is. He's great for teamups, but I couldn't see him having a Batman/Robin dynamic with someone where they plan an execute an operation on an ongoing basis. At most, I'd see him with a partner for a couple issues, or maybe an arc. Some kid that wants to be a hero, but doesn't stick around too long. Having Spider-Man be a mentor means he's got his life figured out enough that he can worry about someone else's: that's rarely the case.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

The age of the sidekick is dead and should remain dead. I'm fine with the occasional mentor / apprentice thing, but sidekick? No.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThanosIsMad

She needs to get web shooters.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @JediXMan said:
    " The age of the sidekick is dead and should remain dead. I'm fine with the occasional mentor / apprentice thing, but sidekick? No. "
    I disagree with sidekicks being dead, but since Stan Lee hates the idea of sidekicks, Marvel seems to stay away from them, which is a loss if you ask me since DC has pretty awesome sidekicks, just look at Young Justice :P But I agree that Spidey doesn't need a sidekick, I agree with mentoring like for Spider-Girl or something, but nothing further.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @JediXMan said:
    " The age of the sidekick is dead and should remain dead. I'm fine with the occasional mentor / apprentice thing, but sidekick? No. "
    THIS!!!!
    Avatar image for playdohsrepublic
    playdohsrepublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By playdohsrepublic

@mattdemers:  

Yeah Peter Parker can barely take care of himself. It's fine for him to be a role model, but a sidekick is a recipe for disaster.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @War Killer: 

I like Young Justice, the Teen Titans, etc. I also like Avengers Academy. But they're more like young heroes in training - not direct sidekicks. Some may have been former sidekicks - well, the founders were. Most of them aren't sidekicks on the current roster.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @JediXMan: True, and you do make a good point. I guess you could say that the term "sidekick' could just means "hero in training" nowadays? I mean even though most would probably disagree with me, I still count young heroes like the Young Avengers, and characters like Nomad and Spider-Girl sidekicks even though they may technically not really be.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @War Killer: 

Nomad is a current-age sidekick, more or less. But I don't like to simply chalk off young heroes as sidekicks. To me, to be a sidekick you have to serve directly under another hero and just be his wingman - getting little to no recognition. I'm in favor of schools for heroes-in-training.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @JediXMan said:
    " @War Killer:   Nomad is a current-age sidekick, more or less. But I don't like to simply chalk off young heroes as sidekicks. To me, to be a sidekick you have to serve directly under another hero and just be his wingman - getting little to no recognition. I'm in favor of schools for heroes-in-training. "
    If Marvel would actually have Nomad interact with Captain America more, she probably would end up being his sidekick. He's already got a partner with Falcon, a second partner/girlfriend with Black Widow, only makes sense to give him a sidekick why he's at it, plus it would be nice to see her interacting more with the rest of the Cap Family since really she's just been playing around in her own little world, not really hanging out with other heroes.

But I do agree with you, I guess it just depends with the time we're in now, things seem to be dying down now to make way for newer ideas. But you never can seem to get rid of Robin xD
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#12  Edited By Deadcool

NO!, that SHOULD NOT happen, Stan Lee created Spider-man because he HATED the sidekicks, he was the first teenager superhero, all alone, and he stayed like this...
    until he joined the Avengers in 2005, and currently he is with the FF, and he is also a X-men... But he stills alone in his life...
    NO Araña is not his sidekick, she is just another girl that loves Spiders... (damn)

For example. Jessica Drew called herself Spiderwoman, but she is not Spider-man's girlfriend
     For example. Jessica Drew called herself Spiderwoman, but she is not Spider-man's girlfriend

She is just another one... just like Araña
     She is just another one... just like Araña

No Caption Provided
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @War Killer: 

I wouldn't really might if she became James' apprentice. Mainly because I hate her mini stories at the back of the issue - they are so blatantly aimed at kids and toned down. I hate crap like that. It doesn't even make sense! Cap is relatively dark generally.

Well, Tim wasn't really a sidekick, especially when he went red, yellow, and black. He was mostly s solo hero.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @JediXMan: Agreed, I don't really hate her stories at the back of the book, but I do wish they would just go ahead and add her to Bucky's supporting cast already. The thing I find the strangest is that yeah she's supposed to be Nomad; Girl without a World, but why is she still freakin' homeless? You'd think Steve Rogers would at least let her stay in Avengers Tower or something.

Eh....stop making things to complicated xP lol Plus Damian is more a sidekick though xD
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @War Killer: 

Yeah, the homeless thing. Forgot about that. Then there's the crappy art...
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @JediXMan: Yeah the art does suck, I liked the art she had at the beginning, but the recent art is just horrible.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @War Killer: 

The current art is downright disgusting. At least the previous guy was tolerable.
    Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya know, this is one of the indications Marvel won't let Peter grow up, he has no sidekick to succeed him when he steps down. Lets be honest, who has he impacted the most out of all the spider totems based on his experience and knowledge of the world so far, answer? None. He leaves a few tips here or there but he never works life experience or has a hand in molding them from the ground up as a father like figure with superheroic insight and wisdom.

He in a sense is still a child in spirit and never really matured after Ben died, he became a self-styled martyr who self inflicts his failures in order not to grow up and take responsibility for his own sake.

Avatar image for the_human_spider
    the_human_spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey and Silk

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not. Spidey works best alone with the occasional random team up.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't hurt. Would probably help people realize that Peter is an adult who has been there and done just about everything this superhero life brings, and he has a lot to teach.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

^This^

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Black Widow, Jessica Drew, Tigra, and She-Hulk respectively?

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:

How about Black Widow, Jessica Drew, Tigra, and She-Hulk respectively?

Sure! why not , that would be cool from time to time. I love the Marvel Team Up stories that featured Black Widow. It seems back then that she would seek Spidey out and they had a great crime fighting partnership.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, especially not right now. These days 616 Spider-Man is a sidekick to anyone who decides to be a Superhero in New York City.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, especially not right now. These days 616 Spider-Man is a sidekick to anyone who decides to be a Superhero in New York City.

So true. Spider-Man has been sidelined in his own book as an incompetent, ineffectual, bumbling and hedonistic buffoon. The devil-dealing 616 Mephisto-verse Peter Parker, truly showcases stupid editorial mandates, poor writing and the most absurd character derailment ever facilitated upon a flagship character.

I will always regard the pre OMD Peter Parker as the one and only true Amazing Spider-Man.

No Caption Provided

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clonesaga2099

@magnetic_eye said:

So true. Spider-Man has been sidelined in his own book as an incompetent, ineffectual, bumbling and hedonistic buffoon. The devil-dealing 616 Mephisto-verse Peter Parker, truly showcases stupid editorial mandates, poor writing and the most absurd character derailment ever facilitated upon a flagship character.

I will always regard the pre OMD Peter Parker as the one and only true Amazing Spider-Man.

No Caption Provided

I'm still holding out hope that the real Peter Parker can come back someday. Maybe now that Spider-Man is in the MCU they'll start respecting him in comics again. Honestly why would any new Superhero want Mephisto-Man to teach them anything, if he can't do anything without someone else's help? He's not inspiring, or even good at what he does and he's supposedly been doing this for a while. Maybe preOMD Peter Parker could have mentored someone, but as of now it is out of the question.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darthfury78

@clonesaga2099 said:

No Caption Provided

How is it that some writers like Gerry Conway could do a very good Spider-Man/Peter Parker story and avoid making him into an incompetent, ineffectual, bumbling and hedonistic buffoon.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Alpha kid was the worst, wtf happened to him by the way? Maybe he could take Miles under his wings in post Secret Wars Marvel.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd:

I think Alpha just moved away and no one cared.

@darthfury78:

It's because guys like Conway try to understand the characters they write. Slott just wants to make established characters look like chumps so his own created characters look better by comparison. Unfortunately for him, he's a lousy writer and most of these characters end up flat and will probably be forgotten, hopefully, like Alpha.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Marvel wants Peter to play the mentor role by having a sidekick. Which confirms from my original point, Marvel hates how Peter isn't really doing anything as special as the other superheroes instead of you know being better.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's because guys like Conway try to understand the characters they write. Slott just wants to make established characters look like chumps so his own created characters look better by comparison. Unfortunately for him, he's a lousy writer and most of these characters end up flat and will probably be forgotten, hopefully, like Alpha.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd:

I think Alpha just moved away and no one cared.

@darthfury78:

I hope Alpha never comeback he was an annoying insufferable Gary Stu, like a Marvelize version of Damien Wayne. Yeah Slott is obsess with using the wolf effect, he also did it recently with Silk.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is it that some writers like Gerry Conway could do a very good Spider-Man/Peter Parker story and avoid making him into an incompetent, ineffectual, bumbling and hedonistic buffoon.

Gerry Conway understands the character very well. He is a professional writer with a proven track record across other disciplines of writing, for example (TV script-writing).

Dan Slott is better at cartoon dialogue, is more interested in his own bland characters that have no appeal or depth and his own self-imposed faux celebrity status whilst trolling the internet.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black cat was pretty good as a sidekick, but Spiderman isn't mentor material when compared to the likes of Batman or captain america

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimishim12

People are convinced Mary Jane is this when moaning about him not being married to him and being a satellite concubine around him without her own individual stories and development.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zarius

@jimishim12 said:

People are convinced Mary Jane is this when moaning about him not being married to him and being a satellite concubine around him without her own individual stories and development.

Twenty-eight years on and people have no reason to doubt she is a great sidekick to him if they know where to look. Probably the best sidekick in fiction.

Let me know how your dating life gets on will you Jimmy? I've a feeling your attitudes towards dedicated life partners will make you a ball with the ladies in that department[/sarcasm]

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Yeah I'm ignoring you. You just can't be seriously.

MJ is gonna be Aunt May status from now on.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black cat was pretty good as a sidekick, but Spiderman isn't mentor material when compared to the likes of Batman or captain america

As far as sidekick(aka allies, equal partners), I think that Tigra, Jessica Drew, Black Widow, and Jennifer Walters could worked well with Peter over the course of generations, as well as Psylocke, and Carol Danvers because all of them could be Miles Morales's mentors as well. I would like to see The Black Widow mentor Miles, as well as Jessica Drew.

But think that the only person who would have made a good mentor for Peter Parker is The Black Widow and The Tasksmaster.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78: have to disagree there. Black widow is an assasin and can't really teach pete how to use his powers to help people and fight crime and taskmaster is sometimes a borderline villian. For me captain America, iron man, black panther, maney Hawkeye can mentor pete

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darthfury78: have to disagree there. Black widow is an assasin and can't really teach pete how to use his powers to help people and fight crime and taskmaster is sometimes a borderline villian. For me captain America, iron man, black panther, maney Hawkeye can mentor pete

Spidey is more experienced than both Stark and Clint - not to mention more powerful. He should be mentoring them. Cap and Panther would be nice to see, though Shang Chi has already taught him some cool skills.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: Iron man and Hawkeye have more experience than spidey, Clint been training and killing long before spidey was in high school and Tony always been around before spidey. Tony is more powerful than spiderman due to his intellect, resources, and ....his suit. Clint is not more powerful but still delivers with him being one of the best marksman, one time ninja and captain America, and top sheild agent. I feel like how Peter life is a mentor/sidekick would need to be a younger/older version of him.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcmarveljoseph: well, Iron Man's first appearance is in 1963, a year after Peter's. Also, Spidey has appeared in more comic book issues than Iron Man. Therefore, due to a career that started before Tony's and is longer than Tony's, Spidey is undoubtedly more experienced. Hawkeye can be considered more experienced if we allow for his combat experience before his appearances in comics. Anyways, Spidey could easily beat Iron Man. With prep, he juices himself on Parker Particles and rips through Iron Man. Without prep, he uses his superior speed and agility, in combination with his strength and uncanny ability to stick to objects, in order to rip off a small piece of the armour. Then, he inserts his finger through and flicks it - the great force will knock Tony out.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that the Black Widow and Spider-Man can learn a lot from each other.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: Spidey catching petty thugs and supervillian doesn't really amount to Iron man going against terrorist, magical threats, super villians, etc. Iron man can wipe out a entire army base in seconds and go toe to toe with thor and hulk. I love spidey but even he can't survive a missle to the face....missles

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blackspidey2099  Online

@dcmarveljoseph: dude, I just explained to you how Iron Man loses to Spidey, with or without prep. Did you even bother reading my earlier post? He doesn't need to survive a missile to the face since he can just web it and throw it back - different skills. That doesn't mean Spidey can't beat Tony. Read my earlier post and you can see how easily Peter could beat Tony if he had to.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: If Iron man is in the air both of your points are out the window" iron man is a walking armory, forget the wave of lasers, missles, and energy repulsed she could rain on spiderman or a missle with an last radius that not even Spiderman could escape. Iron man can take off his armor, aim and put it on spiderman than fly him to the son

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: If Iron man is in the air both of your points are out the window" iron man is a walking armory, forget the wave of lasers, missles, and energy repulsed she could rain on spiderman or a missle with an last radius that not even Spiderman could escape. Iron man can take off his armor, aim and put it on spiderman than fly him to the son

Of course, Spider-Man could never dodge the armor. And somehow Tony Stark can levitate in the air without the armor and wouldn't be killed. /sarcasm

Anyways, with prep time and juiced up on Parker Particles, Spidey is powered by the energy of the universe. None of Iron Man's attacks would hurt him. He can fly faster than him. And he can rip off his armor in one shot. Tony has no chance.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: , lets give parker a week, where would he get the particles that he ko ly used in a few issues? Each part of the armor could catch up to Peter. Tony went up against the likes of thor and hulk. IWhile spidey is in close quarters the failsafes on them suit would electrocute him or iron man can unibeam him, Peter can't rip off all of Tony's armor in one moved, that doesnt even makes any sense. And if your giving Peter the powers of the universe, that isn't even spidey vs ironman any more

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcmarveljoseph: he didn't get the particles - he built some sort of reactor thing which enabled them to be used or something. It's still Spidey vs Iron Man since they can do whatever they want with their prep time. So, according to you, it's fair if Iron Man uses his Hulkbuster suit (his best gear) but Peter can't? Anyways, Peter has ripped of Tony's armour on 2 occasions - once in One More Day while Tony was wearing the Extremis armour and once in Amazing Spider-Man: Who Am I? infinite comics while Tony was wearing his Model 42 Marvel Now armour. Even Winter Soldier ripped off Tony's face plate in the Extremis armour.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.