Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Does Spider-Man Love Gwen Stacy More Than Mary Jane?

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

I was just asking this question because everytime some illusion or something show what spidey's ideal life it shows him married to gwen stacy instead of mary jane. Like HOM he was married to gwen and not mary jane or in universe X when spiders man try to use illusions on him and instead showed the life he wanted. 

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By mewmdude77

I think he does. He has stated repeatedly he still loves Gwen and as you said, In House of M where everyone got their biggest desire, and Peter was married to GWEN and not MJ.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RedK

yea and that is the way it should be one cause she was his first love, she died when they were young and they were still in a relationship, and some one will say that he has put her on a pedestal, and in some ways he has, but in all things concidered he should love her more cause she was far better then MJ

GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

*sigh* I miss Gwen T_T
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7
    @GrandSymbiote94:  How old are you? Did you read Stan Lee's run as a kid or later?
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mewmdude77
    @RedK said:
    " yea and that is the way it should be one cause she was his first love, she died when they were young and they were still in a relationship, and some one will say that he has put her on a pedestal, and in some ways he has, but in all things concidered he should love her more cause she was far better then MJ "
    I agree Gwen is so much better!!! @GrandSymbiote94 said:
    "
    *sigh* I miss Gwen T_T "
    I miss her too!! I think everyone does though!!!
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RedK

you know i never read anything with Gwen actually in it accept for flash backs but in everyone of those appearances she is way better the MJ, i bet if she found out Peter was Spidey she would of never asked him to stop being a hero unlike a red head that will remain namless

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ngroove
    @RedK said:

"you know i never read anything with Gwen actually in it accept for flash backs but in everyone of those appearances she is way better the MJ, i bet if she found out Peter was Spidey she would of never asked him to stop being a hero unlike a red head that will remain namless "

I'd prefer you not to besmirch Mary Jane Watson (formely Parker)'s name, especially if part of the "asked him to stop being a hero" involves OMIT (which in my opinion, should had never happened).

As for what would happen if Gwen found out his other I.D., keep in mind, there was a time, if you read atleast reprints of atleast her appearances in the early 70s, added with the "flashback" story in Amazing Spider-Man #365, since / because of her father's death, caught between a battle between he and Doctor Octopus, when she blamed / hated / feared Spider-Man so much, he probably was a major (in the 70s, not 00s "Sins Past") reason she left New York, to London, for a short while, wanting to leave everything that reminded her of her father, and Spider-Man. 

Ohhh yeah, and even before, on Amazing Spider-Man #87 or so, she spent part of her birthday in tears, when Peter attended her party publically revealing himself as Spider-Man ( he was under a flu, and Hobie Brown later helped his part in calming hers, everyone else's, suspicions). 
    CM_Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#9  Edited By CM_Cameron
    @mewmdude77 said:
    " I think he does. He has stated repeatedly he still loves Gwen and as you said, In House of M where everyone got their biggest desire, and Peter was married to GWEN and not MJ. "
    You could make the argument though, that his greatest desire wasn't necessarily to be married to Gwen instead of MJ, but to never have failed to save Gwendy in the first place. He's carried her death with him ever since it happened and it's probably the only event in his life that's carried more weight than Ben's death. His greatest desire could very well have been to be able to live without that guilt, which means in HoM he would have saved her on the bridge and they would have gone on to marry.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @CM_Cameron said:
    " @mewmdude77 said:
    " I think he does. He has stated repeatedly he still loves Gwen and as you said, In House of M where everyone got their biggest desire, and Peter was married to GWEN and not MJ. "
    You could make the argument though, that his greatest desire wasn't necessarily to be married to Gwen instead of MJ, but to never have failed to save Gwendy in the first place. He's carried her death with him ever since it happened and it's probably the only event in his life that's carried more weight than Ben's death. His greatest desire could very well have been to be able to live without that guilt, which means in HoM he would have saved her on the bridge and they would have gone on to marry. "
    This. It's not so much that he loved Gwen more than MJ, his greatest desire is just that Gwen was never killed. He loves them both equally, just in different ways. 

Peter Parker is not the type of person to marry a woman he doesn't love completely.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Gwen + Peter forever

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spidey 15
    @CM_Cameron said:
    " @mewmdude77 said:
    You could make the argument though, that his greatest desire wasn't necessarily to be married to Gwen instead of MJ, but to never have failed to save Gwendy in the first place. He's carried her death with him ever since it happened and it's probably the only event in his life that's carried more weight than Ben's death. His greatest desire could very well have been to be able to live without that guilt, which means in HoM he would have saved her on the bridge and they would have gone on to marry. "
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @CM_Cameron said:
    " @mewmdude77 said:
    This. It's not so much that he loved Gwen more than MJ, his greatest desire is just that Gwen was never killed. He loves them both equally, just in different ways.   Peter Parker is not the type of person to marry a woman he doesn't love completely. "
    Exactly that. I agree with both of you. 
    =]
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Kairan1979

I thinks comic books stated that he never was completely over Gwen Stacy.

GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

bump
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Primmaster64

He loves both of them equally.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By muhabba

I stopped reading Spider-Man after "One moment in day of..." no wait "Brand new moment..." anyway the retcon, so I don't know if it's been addressed after it but I got the impression that his feelings for Gwen Stacy now is the same feeling of guilt his has towards Uncle Ben.  He isn't still in love with her but she is one of the two biggest failures in his life and that's why she keeps creeping up, same as Uncle Ben.  Least that's the way I took it.

UltraHeroix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UltraHeroix

I think he loved them both but he feels more guilt over Gwen's death which is why she is on his mind often.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedK
    @ngroove said:

" I'd prefer you not to besmirch Mary Jane Watson (formely Parker)'s name, especially if part of the "asked him to stop being a hero" involves OMIT (which in my opinion, should had never happened).  "

she asked him to stop being a hero way before OMIT it was when she was working in hollywood, and Mattie Franklin was masquerading as spider-man
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By Deadcool

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for webhead_america
    Webhead_America

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Webhead_America

Gwen and Spidey forever, separating them is a difficult task even after death.

GuruOfFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GuruOfFunk

I think he loves Mary Jane more but he has a sort of super deep connection with Gwen
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I don't think it is a question of who he loves the most. Regardless of what some people might still dream of, but your one true love simply doesn't exist. There are more than a few people out there that you could love an equal amount. Peter fell in love with Gwen, and she died while he was trying to save her. She represents everything 'that could have been'. This is something we will all face at several moments in our lives; what if? It's human nature to wonder about the what if's. To Peter, the love between him and Gwen is the biggest 'what if?' there is.

This all doesn't mean he doesn't love Marry Jane to an equal amount as Gwen, but Gwen represents so much more for him: she's his first 'true' love, she's his biggest what if ( of course next to Uncle Ben ), etc. Her death represents everything that's wrong in the world. That's also the reason why Gwen can't ever come back, same as uncle Ben. Because their deaths have profound meaning.

Anyway, that's how I think of it.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ngroove
    @ShirEPanjshir said:

but Gwen represents so much more for him: she's his first 'true' love,

Yes, heard that time-and-again, I believe even on a few issues / official sources, but still; wondering; what was Betty Brant; chopped liver???

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By darthfury78

Yep. Everyone has a first love, followed by a true love. Not to mention, a mutual relationship that becomes, "Friends with benefits"!!!!

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I think it's just the fact he never had closure with Gwen. They could have gotten married and had kids or they could have broken up down the line, point is it's a "What could have been" thing. We've all had those events in our lives where we ask "What if I did something different?" for Pete that's Gwen. I know that Gwen'll be in the reboot but I really don't want them to kill her off in the first movie, that should be either 2nd or 3rd movie stuff.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By labarith

Yes. 

Which is, I think, very sad. 

Now if they could just get rid of a few bothersome retcons... they could mine this.  MJ and Peter need a split?  You don't need Mephisto for that.  He's just got to say "Gwen" one too many times in his sleep. 

On a lighter note, Ultimate Spiderman and "MJ loves Spiderman" Spiderman love MJ more. 

Whenever they show that MJ knew Peter was Spiderman, it does turn things on its head as well - does she love Peter, or does she love Spiderman?  Because although we might want to pretend they're the same guy, they're not.  If you love someone and they turn out to be your favorite super hero... cool beans!  If you love some super hero, and they turn out to be the nerdy fat girl from across the street who has always liked you, but you never felt the same way about... then it's pretty creepy.  Birdman's boss hitting on his own daughter creepy.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By renamed040924

@labarith said:

Yes. Which is, I think, very sad. Now if they could just get rid of a few bothersome retcons... they could mine this. MJ and Peter need a split? You don't need Mephisto for that. He's just got to say "Gwen" one too many times in his sleep.

THIS IS WHAT SHOULD OF HAPPENED

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HBKTimHBK

@darthfury78 said:

Yep. Everyone has a first love, followed by a true love. Not to mention, a mutual relationship that becomes, "Friends with benefits"!!!!
    No Caption Provided

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darthfury78
    @HBKTimHBK: I have changed my mind about the " Friends with Benefits" situation regarding The Black Cat. We all know that Felicia has the hearts for Spidey. But when it comes to true love, she would never initiate a Friends with Benefits relationship with Spider-Man. I realized that Friends with Benefits pertains to two partners engage in love making but without the emotional attachment to one another. This is not the case with Felicia towards Spider-Man as she was hoping to revive their relationship. If her memories of Peter being Spider-Man are restored, Felicia would go after him with a vengeance. And she might have been very upset that he talked her into having a no strings attached relationship as she would WANT some string attached. It's apparent that she might have responsible for the break-up of Peter's relationship with Carlie Cooper through her bad luck powers because he dumped her for another woman. The clues were quite apparent when Peter and Carlie where in a relationship together. This goes to show that Spider-Man must never tell a woman with bad luck powers that his in a relationship with another woman. Otherwise, Felicia will jinx that relationship.   
    Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GuruOfFunk said:

I think he loves Mary Jane more but he has a sort of super deep connection with Gwen

This, and lovers guilt. Spider-Man Blue explains everything.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mewmdude77

@nickzambuto said:

@labarith said:

Yes. Which is, I think, very sad. Now if they could just get rid of a few bothersome retcons... they could mine this. MJ and Peter need a split? You don't need Mephisto for that. He's just got to say "Gwen" one too many times in his sleep.

THIS IS WHAT SHOULD OF HAPPENED

YES!!!!!!!!!!

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RogueOracle

The problem was that Gwen and Peter's relationship was killed in its prime. Look, Gwen didn't have the greatest character development I admit, but she was his first love and represented an innocent romance.

MJ, I think is his true love though. She's what was needed to handle Peter's secret. She was emotionally-abled to handle it. I don't think Gwen could have handled the Spider-man girlfriend gig too well.

Emma Stone has said in interviews that MJ fell in love with Spider-man, but I don't think that so. MJ has frequently stated she didn't like Pete as Spider-Man because he was endangering himself.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Gwen is his greatest what if. The dream girl that got away and will always haunt him. It's basically why he build a life around her in HoM. 

But Mary Jane is his true love. 
    RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RogueOracle

Well, Gwen's true love is Norman Osborn. She lost her flower to him to this handsome devil and they created beautiful genetically altered twins together....

JK. The storyline shits me even as an MJ supporter. I will never ever not get that image of Gwen and and Osborn in bed together out of my head.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@RogueOracle said:

Well, Gwen's true love is Norman Osborn. She lost her flower to him to this handsome devil and they created beautiful genetically altered twins together....

JK. The storyline shits me even as an MJ supporter. I will never ever not get that image of Gwen and and Osborn in bed together out of my head.

why would you even remind me?

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skyfire

Nah.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By InnerVenom123

MJ is his silver medal.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RogueOracle

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@RogueOracle said:

Because I'm a horrible person:)

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RogueOracle

@TheAcidSkull said:

@RogueOracle: LOL, i totally agree , it makes my spine crawl

Same. Don't know why it didn't for Gwen.

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

I can tell by your username

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RogueOracle

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

And your status as a detective proves so.

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

@RogueOracle said:

And your status as a detective proves so.

merci

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:

MJ is his silver medal.

LOL This.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mewmdude77

@RogueOracle said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

@RogueOracle: LOL, i totally agree , it makes my spine crawl

Same. Don't know why it didn't for Gwen.

She was in a bad place, she had run away from Peter to Paris, and she was depressed about her father dying, so Norman used that to advantage, and seduced her, just to hurt Peter. If she had been in her right mind, she never wouldn't have done it. It's pretty much a rape case, with roofies, but depression instead of the roofies.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

In the ultimate universe Gwen is still alive and he ends up picking MJ before he dies.

ben345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gwen is hotter

heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gwen is his greatest what if. The dream girl that got away and will always haunt him. It's basically why he build a life around her in HoM.

But Mary Jane is his true love.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time he confessed that he deeply loves Gwen, it later shows that he loves Mary Jane just as much or maybe even more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.