Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17245 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Chip Zdarsky & Adam Kubert are relaunching the "Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man" series.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Waffle

Can't be more embarrassing then what's happening over at ASM atm. Hopefully it's good, there's some real talent here.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MarvelMan92

From My Post Back In The Comicbook Discussion Thread:

I Think The Whole London Woman Thing Would Only Be Just For About A Few Issues. And Really, Peter Getting Advice From Multiple Elders Sounds Too Silly. This Is O)bviously Gonna Be A Joke Book And Chip Has Done Alot Of Joke Books Even In Starlord. I Think Peter Getting Advice From Elders Is Suppose To Symbolize Something Like Maybe Peter Shouldn't Rely Much On Uncle Ben Nor Aunt May And Maybe This London Girl Is A Symbolization Of His Time With Mary Jane And Her Being A Comedian Is A Symbolization Of Spidey's Humor As A Defense Mechanism For The Times He's Been With Mary Jane. Maybe(And Hopefully) This Is Suppose To Be Some Knid Of Symbolic Arcs That'll Be One Of The Things That'll Prelude To The Merge. Chip Says That This Spider-Man Is Still Gonna Be Mature So I Think This Might Be A Joke Series Mixed With Some Psychology. I Don't Know. We'll Just Have To Wait And See. Usually When It Involves Comedy, Chip Mostly Just Handles The Art As Well And Others That Match His Art Like Kris Anka. But Adam Kubert Is Not Really The Kind Of Guy That'll Fit Into Humor. Most Of The Time I See Him In Some Serious Stuff Even If They Do Have A Mxture Of Humor. I Think This Is More Of A Psychological Book Than A Joke Book.

Thoughts?

@animehunter@itsaworld@ursaber@knightwriteri@zariusii

@magnetic_eye@amazingfantasy@blacksuit@the_waffle@life_without_progress

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@marvelman92:

Only interesting thing about this book to me is that its not written by Slott. Kubert's art never did appeal to my eyes so that was a downer.

These elders and this supposed new love interest, unnecessary and ultimately unappeling. Peter has long since gone beyond the dating stage and outgrown parental figures.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

Only interesting thing about this book to me is that its not written by Slott. Kubert's art never did appeal to my eyes so that was a downer.

These elders and this supposed new love interest, unnecessary and ultimately unappeling. Peter has long since gone beyond the dating stage and outgrown parental figures.

Indeed. Peter Should Focus On Improving His Skills In Photography And Tech & Science And Spend Some Time With MJ Before The Merge. I'm Really Hoping What Their Stories Will Be Like During The Whole Secret Empire And/Or Zero Day Events.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZariusII

A redux of Brand New Day that really repeats the same old beats we're long accustomed to. Chip's an aqquired taste, Howard the Duck was good, but boy did he love making Peter look like a farce in that. And Rebecca London will be on the first bus out of town in a couple of years just for not being MJ or Felicia.

Stick with RYV and the Newspaper Strip

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Green_Tea

Oh man, how many more times are they gonna return peter to "back to basics" that's exactly what they said regarding Brand New Day...at least Slott isn't writing it so there's a silver lining.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

A redux of Brand New Day that really repeats the same old beats we're long accustomed to. Chip's an aqquired taste, Howard the Duck was good, but boy did he love making Peter look like a farce in that. And Rebecca London will be on the first bus out of town in a couple of years just for not being MJ or Felicia.

Yeah, But Howard Was A Joke Book. Chip Confirms That This Peter Will Be The Opposite Of How He Wrote Him In Howard The Duck.....You Know, Minus The Advice From Old People And This Rebecca London Person. Hopefully This Arc Will Last For Like Maybe 10 Or A Few More Issues Before We Go Onto Mary Jane And Some Other Things That Are More Important.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zariusii said:

I have never quite understood this.....where can I get the newspaper strip ?? Is it a monthly comic featured in a specific newspaper ??

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@marvelman92:

I am so tired of Marvel creating love interests for Peter Parker who are non Spider-Man created super heroines. I would be surprised if there's a writer whose willing to make an existing love interest for Peter whose from other comic book titles not created by The Spider-Office whose not being used. They manage to kill off the potential love interest between Carol Danvers/Black Cat and Peter Parker because of Dan Slott. Jennifer Walters or Greer Grant(Tigra) would be a better match for Peter than all the crappy love interests that Marvel's created for him over the year, with the worst being Cindy Moon. Sooner or Later, Slott and Lowe will leave the Spider-Office.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda excited for this, but I really want Slott off ASM and for it to be a current ongoing book as it completely undoes OMD and ignores all of Slott's stories.

In the meantime, glad to see the return of this title. I've got every issue of the original series Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol's 1 and 2.

So then, Vol 3 may be worth checking out. It's got to be better than Slott's ASM tripe. :P

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZariusII

@thor_parker82 said:
    @zariusii said:

I have never quite understood this.....where can I get the newspaper strip ?? Is it a monthly comic featured in a specific newspaper ??

The newspaper strip can be viewed online here

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zariusii said:
    @thor_parker82 said:
    @zariusii said:

The newspaper strip can be viewed online here

Nice, thanks.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so tired of Marvel creating love interests for Peter Parker who are non Spider-Man created super heroines. I would be surprised if there's a writer whose willing to make an existing love interest for Peter whose from other comic book titles not created by The Spider-Office whose not being used. They manage to kill off the potential love interest between Carol Danvers/Black Cat and Peter Parker because of Dan Slott. Jennifer Walters or Greer Grant(Tigra) would be a better match for Peter than all the crappy love interests that Marvel's created for him over the year, with the worst being Cindy Moon. Sooner or Later, Slott and Lowe will leave th.I am so tired of Marvel creating love interests for Peter Parker who are non Spider-Man created super heroines. I would be surprised if there's a writer whose willing to make an existing love interest for Peter whose from other comic book titles not created by The Spider-Office whose not being used. They manage to kill off the potential love interest between Carol Danvers/Black Cat and Peter Parker because of Dan Slott. Jennifer Walters or Greer Grant(Tigra) would be a better match for Peter than all the crappy love interests that Marvel's created for him over the year, with the worst being Cindy Moon. Sooner or Later, Slott and Lowe will leave the Spider-Office.

^^^^^^^^^ This specially about Carol Danvers and Felicia Hardy. But none the less, I am pretty excited for this. I love the old Spectacular series, so I hope this one keeps the traditions alive.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10:

I just hope they don't introduce another love interest. Only one that matters is MJ.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZariusII

@ursaber said:

@theheaven_guardian10:

I just hope they don't introduce another love interest. Only one that matters is MJ.

As if any of the other love interests will stick or linger long in the memory. Slott said it himself, nobody's ever going to accept anyone else as long as MJ and Gwen (and Felicia) are out there, and as long as certain books and other mediums continue to promote MJ above all others. 30 years on and she's still Peter's wife somehow and somewhere.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @ursaber said:

@theheaven_guardian10:

As if any of the other love interests will stick or linger long in the memory. Slott said it himself, nobody's ever going to accept anyone else as long as MJ and Gwen (and Felicia) are out there, and as long as many mediums continue to promote MJ above all others the one who married Peter Parker. She's still the one who won even to this day.

Gwen shouldn't be an eligible option at all. Its either MJ or Felicia and its definitely MJ. Gwen is dead, end of story. She's past, she's the past.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I don't want a new love interest. Not when MJ and Felicia around. It must be a new romance, have be with someone Peter already knows and has a good dynamic with. Like Carol Danvers or Jennifer Walters.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I don't want a new love interest. Not when MJ and Felicia around. It must be a new romance, have be with someone Peter already knows and has a good dynamic with. Like Carol Danvers or Jennifer Walters.

The time for Peter to date or romance Carol and Jennifer is long past. Carol is an evil fascist and Jennifer is a downright mess after Bruce's death and is literally losing her mind in her solo Hulk comic.

Felicia has been abhorrently turned into the resident Queenpin of Crime and basically Miles' archenemy. Her evil turn was horrible and OOC.

MJ, MJ is the only one that truly matters. Peter's had her for a wife in canon and in a dozen or so AU's with a ton of daughters and at least one known son in Benjy.

Its all MJ. Hottest living redhead since Jean Grey is dead.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I'm not disagree with anything you're saying about MJ. Casue for the most prat it's true. But I still stand my picks in Felicia, Carol and Jennifer. I feel like a good writer and creative team fix all that awful OOC crap, these other cool characters have been through. But that is just me. MJ my favorite redhead female in comics.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I'm not disagree with anything you're saying about MJ. Casue for the most prat it's true. But I still stand my picks in Felicia, Carol and Jennifer. I feel like a good writer and creative team fix all that awful OOC crap, these other cool characters have been through. But that is just me. MJ my favorite redhead female in comics.

Peter with Carol or Jennifer would be good as a What If or an AU. However in canon (616) the time for that is long passed. Carol's reputation can be fixed with good writing and kinda toning down or outright discarding the feminist crap but it will still take some time.

After MJ left in the mid 70's, Peter and Felicia were together for years in a non committed but entertaining mask relationship and they continued to be connected and to flirt in the following decades.

For me its either Felicia or MJ. But MJ reigns supreme.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I can respect were you're coming from. But I don't think that moment has passed,that just me though. For me both MJ and Felicia are the top picks. I love both of them equally, If Peter ended up with either of them. I would be very very very happy.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I can respect were you're coming from. But I don't think that moment has passed,that just me though. For me both MJ and Felicia are the top picks. I love both of them equally, If Peter ended up with either of them. I would be very very very happy.

Alright then. No need to create an unnecessary conflict when there's clearly no grounds nor motives for it. Respect you, respect me.

Have you read RYV Vol 2?

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I was waiting for it to become available in trade paperback. I really prefer reading that way.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: I was waiting for it to become available in trade paperback. I really prefer reading that way.

I think the first trade paperback is slated to be released after issue 6. The first collection will include the first six or so issues this may or june.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Thanks for the info man, I was wondering when it well be released. I prefer reading trade, cause it feels more like a novel.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Thanks for the info man, I was wondering when it well be released. I prefer reading trade, cause it feels more like a novel.

Yeah I get you man. Still, four issues have been released, the first arc actually and its really, really good. but I understand your patience and preference.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Oh!! I heard nothing but great things about Renew Your Vows. I read the first issue and it was lovely.

The waiting is the toughest part but well worth it in the end. It helps to read other stuff and Spider-Man books.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: Oh!! I heard nothing but great things about Renew Your Vows. I read the first issue and it was lovely.

The waiting is the toughest part but well worth it in the end. It helps to read other stuff and Spider-Man books.

Well your other viable Spider Man material would be the ASM newspaper and maybe Spider Man/Deadpool. Slott's ASM sucks ass and the rest of the spider titles have mixed receptions and preferences depending on each and everyone of us. Aside from RYV and the ASM newspaper I'm reading Spider Man 2099 but its getting pretty boring much to my annoyance since Spider Man 2099 is the coolest alternate spider around. Spider-Gwen doesn't interest me (I dislike Gwen in general), Silk is much of the same, Miles Morales is an OP mess, so on and so on.

Maybe this new Peter Parker Spectacular Spider Man will be good but I'm not looking forward to any new romances. In fact I don't want one but the writer is teasing this female character Rebecca London, a comedian (ironic) as a potential love interest. The writer has also stated that he has a fetish for senior citizens and wanted to introduce a new Aunt May type. The last thing we need is another Aunt May, we don't even need the one we have. She's so unbearably unnecessary and irrelevant and makes Peter look like a mama's man-boy. Those times where Peter needed to look after his failing aunt are long gone and should never come back. If this keeps going on, the only woman Peter will end up with will be her for the remainder of his life. That's a nightmare prospect.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.