Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Best Modern Spidey Title to Read: Amazing Spider-Man (Peter Stark) vs. Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

• 60 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys! Gigantic Spidey fan here that's been collecting trades for years, but recently thought that I'd wanna try out one of the new series after mostly skipping out on the modern stuff (closest to modern trade I have is the first chunk of Big Time). Both of the big Spidey books on the stands seem like pretty radical departures from the status quo. One has Peter as the CEO of a giant company, which made me raise an eyebrow and go "Huh?" when it was announced, while the other isn't even Peter, but rather Miles Morales, who I admittedly did like reading while he was still in the Ultimate universe.

Didn't know which to pick so I came to the Vine! Which series has better characters? Which has better writing? And which is more fun? I'd really like some good feedback. Thanks!

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ItsaWorld

Neither in my opinion. Miles lost all his origin story and lore when placed in 616 and Peter is so out of character and poorly written that it's cringe worthy. The two are sorta enemies now as well for dumb reasons and have barley interacted when their world's fused.

Best one by far has just only been released. Get yourself a copy of Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows. Very truthfull to the original classic Peter Parker but we finally get the daughter that was promised to us for years! Characters are well written and the story has a nice feel.

Heck! Most suspect that this is Marvel's own SuperMan Rebirth and will be brought to 616 in the future

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZariusII

Very much in agreement with @itsaworld, Miles is finding trouble asserting a place in the current Marvel universe and so long as Slott is writing ASM, you're never going to get a Peter Parker you can really recognise or appreciate. As 'World says, pick up a copy of Renew Your Vows to get the sort of Spider-Man you're used to, only with MJ being fully committed to the extent she's even fighting side by side with him, as is his daughter. You've since had sites like Newsarama raising the possibility of whether or not this book will supplant the main books, that's just how much love people have for this status quo. Help make it the hit it deserves to be.

You can also look up comic kingdom and read the ASM newspaper strip, where Peter and MJ get into all kinds of scrapes together. Just be prepared for a lot of decompressed storytelling as the strip arcs take up months of your time before they're completed.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Same. Miles Has Always Bugged Me In Status And Eversince He's Transferred To The 616 Universe He Actually Just Lost Me On This. It's Basically Just Annoying And Boring To See. His Series Is Pretty Good But The Character Is Just...Eh. And As For The Current 616 Spider-Man, Yes, His Books, As Much As It Frustrates Me To Say It, Sucks With Slott Being At Helm And Actually Mistreating The Character And Its Fanbase. I Mean You Would Think A Writer For Such An Great Character Wouldn't Possibly Stoop The Guy Low. Well He Did By Not Only Making Him An Idiot But So Has His Supporting Casts Like Mary Jane Watson, Felicia Hardy, Aunt May, Harry Osborn, And Quite Possibly J Jonah Jameson While Making HIS Characters Look Better EVEN SPIDEY"S VILLAINS AND OTHER VILLAINS! Like WOW! What The Heck Is This Guy Even Doing? I Mean I Know Writers Have Done Most Offensive @#$% Than This But WOW! Does This Really Offend Us! And Not Only That He Kills Off A Bunch Of Spidey's Longtime Supporting Characters Like Kafka And Even His Villains Like Nothing And I Don't Mean In A Good Or Badass Way. I Meant He Treated Them Like Trash As Him Trying To Be "Edgy" . -_- Just Please Get Slott Off The Series Already. He's Already Turned Spider-Man Into More Of A Dumb Fan Fic Like People Said He Did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: @zariusii: @itsaworld:

Thanks for the input, guys! It's a shame. I quite liked Slott in Spider-Man/Human Torch and liked a lot of what he did with Big Time like Peter being a scientist for a living, so it's sad to hear he got a lot worse. Maybe he's burnt out?

Pete and MJ raising their own crime-fighting family with costumes and everything is certainly an odd picture (Spider-Incredibles?), but so is Pete being the head of his own Stark industries or Peter and Miles being enemies after the excellent Spider-Men.

Regarding Renew Your Vows, would I have to read the Secret Wars tie-in to get into it? Also, looking it up it seems like Peter murders Venom in the beginning? Not sure how I feel about that 0_o

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: @zariusii: @itsaworld:

Thanks for the input, guys! It's a shame. I quite liked Slott in Spider-Man/Human Torch and liked a lot of what he did with Big Time like Peter being a scientist for a living, so it's sad to hear he got a lot worse. Maybe he's burnt out?

Pete and MJ raising their own crime-fighting family with costumes and everything is certainly an odd picture (Spider-Incredibles?), but so is Pete being the head of his own Stark industries or Peter and Miles being enemies after the excellent Spider-Men.

Regarding Renew Your Vows, would I have to read the Secret Wars tie-in to get into it? Also, looking it up it seems like Peter murders Venom in the beginning? Not sure how I feel about that 0_o

Peter Is Head Of His Company But Not Only That But Worse Of That Is That He's A World Wide Sensation Instead Of Just A Famous Local Company.

No, Peter And Miles Are Not Enemies.

RYV Vol 2 Is Very Much Different From The First Volume But Still Has The Same Aspects Regarding The Villain, Regent. Peter Having A Super Family Is A Really Great Development For Him And Is Handle Incredibly Well .

Peter Murdered Venom In A Fight Because He Was Defending His Family From Him Which Is Actually In Character Especially When The Guy Is Just Being A Father .

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: @nicksmi56: well they certainly act like miles and peter aren't pals, especially with the champions vs avengers coming up....oh joy....

But yeah....slott is.....yeah. he kinda killed off most of the supporting cast as of now and is kinda making the story less and less like spider-man.

As for RYV, you dont really need to read the secret wars story to fully understand what is going on but it helps. Gerry Conway has said this world changed after secret wars so some things are different from the first volume wich slott wrote. Yep! Slott wrote the first RYV and Conway is tweaking it in his own Renew Your Vows story.

Yes, in Slott's story, Venom held MJ and Peters baby daughter as hostages. Realising that Venom was not going to stop,he collapsed a building on Venom, killing Eddie and the symbiote. Even though he did it to protect his family, Peter from that day forth was plagued by nightmared of Eddie and Venom, showing he feels guilty for going against his code even for the sake of his family.

In Conway's story, things are more relaxed. He is still designing the world but will keep some peices from the original RYV. There's a small recap in Conway's RYV that tells what happened and you can get the gist for whats happening. As for Venom in this version, I don't think Conway would keep Eddie dead. Most heroes and villains who died in the Slott's RYV (sandman, ironman, ect.) Are shown to be still alive. Since Venom is so integral to Spider-Man mythos, i dont think he's dead in this story.

Also, Conway is going to implement other symbiotes apparently along with doing superhero teammups with characters like the human torch

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like everyone else is saying get RYV and ignore the rest.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MarvelMan92

@itsaworld: He Also Mentioned Making The Villains More Imposing And Less Useless Like Imagine How Guys Like Electro, Vulture, Beetle, Shocker, Boomerang, Mysterio, Chameleon, And A Couple Of Others Would Be Different From How We've Usually Seen Them After All These Years Of Reading Them . They Were Great Villains But They'll Be More Adaptable.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@nicksmi56:

If you HAVE TO read one of these then read Miles. Peter as a billionaire is downright uncharacteristic of him and isn't even executed well. Cringeworthy dialogue, socially awkward Peter as well as incompetent man child/mama's boy. That's what you get in ASM Vol 4. I don't suggest wasting money on either Slott or Bendis' folly but I do recommend reading and buying ASM Renew Your Vows by Gerry Conway. Spider Man 2099 is also a winner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: @kiba: @marvelman92: @zariusii: @itsaworld:

Thanks for the input and explanations. Guess I'll give Slott's RNV special a shot since Conway's trade won't come out til June. It's sure to be interesting, and I'm looking forward to it, but Venom getting murdered by Pete....that's gonna take time to get over.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves when a hero throws away their moral code for the sake of drama and the "WOW!" factor. You can put the hero through challenges that push them up to the very edge of that code, but when they break it, especially a no-kill character, it cheapens the character a bit for me.

Because then what's to stop them from doing it again? Part of what makes Spidey interesting is that he gets through all his trials and tribulations while trying his hardest not to compromise who he is. Now when Doc Ock is barreling towards Spidey and he's broken, defeated, costume in tatters and all that, all he has to do is cling to one of the arms, take out a gun and put one between the guy's eyes. I mean why not? Just put the baby/daughter in the room and it'll apparently be completely justified. Gotta look out for you and yours, right?

This is just an initial reaction to hearing the news, and maybe it's presented in a way where it absolutely could not have been written any better or have a different solution, but right now it's a really bitter pill to swallow. Under The Red Hood wouldn't have been nearly as good a story if Batman had just off'd Scarecrow last week.

Still, thanks for all the help and suggestions and hope I didn't offend anyone by voicing what's on my mind right now. You guys rock.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56: well you can grab single issues now. Conway's RYV just started and issue 1 will be out in about a week following reprints of issue 1.

And just remember, the Venom death was Slott's run. Like many of us have noticed, he kiiinda casts Peter's morals to the side quite often with his writing. Some point out this is why that RYV was kinda mediocre.

Conway will be tweaking the whoooole story, but for now, je is introducing us to characters within the first story arc. World building and history will probably follow after.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: @kiba: @marvelman92: @zariusii: @itsaworld:

Thanks for the input and explanations. Guess I'll give Slott's RNV special a shot since Conway's trade won't come out til June. It's sure to be interesting, and I'm looking forward to it, but Venom getting murdered by Pete....that's gonna take time to get over.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves when a hero throws away their moral code for the sake of drama and the "WOW!" factor. You can put the hero through challenges that push them up to the very edge of that code, but when they break it, especially a no-kill character, it cheapens the character a bit for me.

Because then what's to stop them from doing it again? Part of what makes Spidey interesting is that he gets through all his trials and tribulations while trying his hardest not to compromise who he is. Now when Doc Ock is barreling towards Spidey and he's broken, defeated, costume in tatters and all that, all he has to do is cling to one of the arms, take out a gun and put one between the guy's eyes. I mean why not? Just put the baby/daughter in the room and it'll apparently be completely justified. Gotta look out for you and yours, right?

This is just an initial reaction to hearing the news, and maybe it's presented in a way where it absolutely could not have been written any better or have a different solution, but right now it's a really bitter pill to swallow. Under The Red Hood wouldn't have been nearly as good a story if Batman had just off'd Scarecrow last week.

Still, thanks for all the help and suggestions and hope I didn't offend anyone by voicing what's on my mind right now. You guys rock.

That's Basically In Character For Spider-Man To Do Whenever A Love One Is In Extreme Danger Or Just Killed. I Mean The Guy Was Just Trying To Protect His Family. It Just Makes The Guy More Human. He Makes Mistakes. And Besides, He Didn't Mean To Kill Venom. The Fight Gotten Even Worse When It Was On Fire And The Building Came Crumbling Down. Now We Don't Know Where Ot Not Eddie Could Still Be Alive In This Universe If Something Like That Still Happened. But Since The Symbiote Is Still Here We May See Eddie Or Any Of His Symbiote Buddies Coming And Try To Harm The Entire Spider-Family .

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ursaber

@nicksmi56:

Spider Man was an accessory to Venom's death, but he didn't kill him himself in cold blood. It resembles the death of Norman after Gwen was killed. He was also an accessory to his death. Venom was indeed going to kill Annie, any father would've done the same. Its called taking responsibility even if its a horrible thing. No matter what you protect your family. Peter didn't want to kill Venom, he didn't mean to kill him but he knew there was no other way what with the death of other heroes and the end of the Avengers, he would be the only hero active. And besides, that moment haunts him and regrets it each day. He was pitted against a wall. In time he could've devised another way to beat him without killing him but he didn't have that luxury. Spider Man's an everyman, there will come moments in people's lives where they have to make such a choice.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

@nicksmi56:

Spider Man was an accessory to Venom's death, but he didn't kill him himself in cold blood. It resembles the death of Norman after Gwen was killed. He was also an accessory to his death. Venom was indeed going to kill Annie, any father would've done the same. Its called taking responsibility even if its a horrible thing. No matter what you protect your family. Peter didn't want to kill Venom, he didn't mean to kill him but he knew there was no other way what with the death of other heroes and the end of the Avengers, he would be the only hero active. And besides, that moment haunts him and regrets it each day. He was pitted against a wall. In time he could've devised another way to beat him without killing him but he didn't have that luxury. Spider Man's an everyman, there will come moments in people's lives where they have to make such a choice.

Loading Video...

I don't know why whenever someone says "Hey, this superhero that goes out of his way not to murder people and takes an extremely hard stance against murdering people shouldn't be murdering people," we always run to the exceptions rather than the rule.

Spidey's been around for 54 years now. This kill count video has 9 deaths, some of which aren't even his fault.

So for every one of those deaths, there's dozens if not hundreds of times where he had the opportunity to take a life and instead said "No. I'm not going to do this because that's not who I am."

I also don't know why everyone use the "everyman/relatable" excuse to justify characters acting wildly out of character. Relatable means a character is like us, not that he IS us. If he was just like us, he wouldn't be swinging around in a fancy suit saving people and we wouldn't love him nearly as much. I wouldn't be thrilled to pick up a book about me. I know myself well enough and I don't think I'm particularly noteworthy. That's why these guys are superheroes. They're supposed to be better than that, and while Peter Parker flirts with that line more than, say, Superman, at the end of the day, he too is better than that.

So please don't act like I'm wrong for expecting him to act the way he's been doing for those 54 years with few exceptions.

It makes me sad that nowadays, we seem to be in this rush to drag our heroes down here in the mud with us.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56:

Two things to take into account then about Renew Your Vows Vol 1 by Dan Slott and Adam Kubert.

1. It was written by Dan Slott. You're right about the no killing part and I forgot he wrote this. I do believe that under supremely extreme circumstances Spider Man can break his no killing rule but lets hope that day never comes because dark writers are not a good long term fit for Spider Man.
    2. The second volume by Gerry Conway succeeds RYV1 but everything that happened in the secret wars tie in happened in a different way and he confirmed that Venom is alive. So in Renew Your Vows Vol 2, Spider Man never killed Eddie Brock.
    MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Believe He Nearly Beated His Foes And Thugs To Death Like Doc Ock, Goblin, Scorpion, And A Couple Of Others. Brock Was Just Another one Of Those Accidents. While He Did Almost Nearly Kill Him Because His Family Was In Danger The Death Of Eddie Was Not Really Much His Fault. Buildings Just Kept Crumbling Down As It Was On Fire. Though Even If Something Like This Still Happened Brock Could Still Be Alive. And If He's Still Alive He'll Likely Make His Life Even More Of A Living Hell Mostly His Daughter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: @kiba: @ursaber: @marvelman92: @itsaworld: Hey all! Just wanted to say I took a look at Conway's RYV and while I'm not sure I'll ever get used to Spider-Incredibles (MJ really shouldn't be a hero and not a fan of the tapping into the powers thing. It should be a father-daughter duo!), I did enjoy the vast majority of the 1st issue. Thanks again for the suggestion!

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: @kiba: @ursaber: @marvelman92: @itsaworld: Hey all! Just wanted to say I took a look at Conway's RYV and while I'm not sure I'll ever get used to Spider-Incredibles (MJ really shouldn't be a hero and not a fan of the tapping into the powers thing. It should be a father-daughter duo!), I did enjoy the vast majority of the 1st issue. Thanks again for the suggestion!

MJ Being A Hero Is A Nice Development Into Her Character. All The Time She's Been Sitting Around Waiting For Her Husband To Come Home Safe And Wants To Help Him As Best As She Can. And She Proved That Several Times. And Also She Won't Be Doing The Whole Tapping Into The Powers Thing. They're Gonna Show Us How She'll Adapt Into That. And Her Being A Hero Isn't Gonna Interfere With Peter Nor Anna May's Adventure. It'll Be A Nice Status Quo Telling Us The Stories Of Family And Fatherhood.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take what you can get. The other good alternative is the awesome newspaper strip. I myself am still getting used to MJ as a superhero and her costume which I really don't like. However if you analyze her development, pre OMD I mean, you can see that while she's not straightforwardly inclined to being an actual superhero like her husband, she does indeed have a desire to take care of herself and not be a damsel in distress which is something she hasn't always been. MJ has always been very independent and self reliant so its not completely surprising her decision especially after Regent.

The power tap is actually a symbolism of their marriage. Once one marries, everything they own and everything they are becomes "theirs" or "ours". In a marriage everything belongs to them both. Peter sharing his powers with MJ symbolizes their strong marriage. Also its a nice change of pace. During their early years as a married couple, MJ was always playing the beleaguered housewife and complaining about Spider Man being a hero. Having her team up with him and experience everything he does firsthand will pretty much cancel any problems they might have about Spider Man's crimefighting. This will open the way for some new family drama and not fall back to themes previously tackled.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:
    @nicksmi56 said:

Take what you can get. The other good alternative is the awesome newspaper strip. I myself am still getting used to MJ as a superhero and her costume which I really don't like. However if you analyze her development, pre OMD I mean, you can see that while she's not straightforwardly inclined to being an actual superhero like her husband, she does indeed have a desire to take care of herself and not be a damsel in distress which is something she hasn't always been. MJ has always been very independent and self reliant so its not completely surprising her decision especially after Regent.

The power tap is actually a symbolism of their marriage. Once one marries, everything they own and everything they are becomes "theirs" or "ours". In a marriage everything belongs to them both. Peter sharing his powers with MJ symbolizes their strong marriage. Also its a nice change of pace. During their early years as a married couple, MJ was always playing the beleaguered housewife and complaining about Spider Man being a hero. Having her team up with him and experience everything he does firsthand will pretty much cancel any problems they might have about Spider Man's crimefighting. This will open the way for some new family drama and not fall back to themes previously tackled.

To me, I'm not too fond of the concept of MJ being a super hero but its is quite in character. MJ, through the series, was more than willing to get her hands dirty and had always wanted to do more to help her husband. Without powers, MJ had beaten not only civilians, creeps, and thugs, but she also had caught and beaten up a few villains as well. Notably, she punched the chameleon and had whacked a hobgobiln goon. In ultimate spiderman, she hotwired a car and rammed into Norman Osborne. In one of the videogames, with a broken arm, she grabs a shotgun and attempts to help defend Peter alongside Luke Cage. During the conflict with Morlun, when coming face to face with the man who beat her husband so badly that Peter was going to die, she still brandishes a scapel and attempts to fight him off so her husband can have a few more moments on earth left. She literally will throw herself in harm's way to help the one she loves, so if she has a chance to gain Peter's abilities, it's definitely not out of character to use them. It seems from what we read, she only uses them when Peter can't handle things alone, and being more of a lone fighter kinda guy, these situations happen often.

What's nice is that Gerry writes this kinda concept well. It's only brief, a small conversation, but it helps me deal with this concept of MJ being a hero. Gerry just gets to the point. Peter isn't a solo act, he hasn't been since he married MJ. As we know, the Renew Your Vows story is all about marriage and family. When two people marry, one does not take the sole burden on themselves, they both will share the joys and hardships in eachother's lives. Gerry I guess makes MJ a hero to sorta emphasize this a bit better. She want's to lighten the load on her husband and is willing to take some for him. He does it so well letting us know that yeah, Peter want's to protect MJ but Mary Jane want's to keep him safe as well, not to mention their daughter. So like Ursa says, her hero form is a SYMBOL OF MARRIAGE : D! They both share the pain and hardships within life but also the joy and power.

I never considered her a damsel in distress or the sobbing grieving spouse as she quite often attempted to help Peter with his heroics.

Also, Gerry has confirmed that the regent suit MJ uses cannot be permanent since when it's powered it makes Peter Weaker. MJ later will have to find alternatives or go back to being a BAWLLER civilian which im fine with cause she is BAWLLER when she is normal.

My dislike could be her outfit. Yeah I'm not liking Annie's but we know its mostly safety first with that, but for MJ....booties?! BOOTIES?! WOMAN! YOU WERE A MODEL! YOU OWN A BOUTIQUE! GO MAKE SOME BETTER FOOTWEAR!

And hey, I'm betting we will have future issues just being about Father Daughter crime fighting. Maybe a special one all about 'Taking your Daughter to work day' featuring mini stories with Luke and Dani Cage along with Valerie and Reed Richards

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't listen to the circle jerk, Amazing is far better than adjectiveless. In most ways, it's a great evolution for our beloved Peter.

Then they can go read AMAZING Spider-Man Renew Your Vows! There are now 2 Spider-Man series that use Amazing in the title.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't listen to the circle jerk, Amazing is far better than adjectiveless. In most ways, it's a great evolution for our beloved Peter.

Peter turning into a hand-me down version of Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne but incompetent, is the opposite of evolution.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How so? I'm willing to listen.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZariusII

@blackspidey2099: MY beloved Pete exists in worlds far apart from the one inhabited by the devil-dealing incompetent man-boob avatar for Slott's crummy comedic skills that you idolise so much.

Oh, and nice passive-aggression there too...telling nick to ignore us and yet listen to you, as if you're the sole voice of reason in here, when you're anything but. How does it feel to alienate your friends here? And for what? To stand up to some dodgy high-priced absurdist funny book?

You're becoming no better than Kcomicfan. I used to tolerate how you've been lately, but I'm just about at my wit's end with you.

Neither adjective-less or ASM are particularly good, especially when compared to 2099, Spider-Woman, Silk, RYV, the newspaper strip etc.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

@blackspidey2099: MY beloved Pete exists in worlds far apart from the one inhabited by the devil-dealing incompetent man-boob avatar for Slott's crummy comedic skills that you idolise so much.

Oh, and nice passive-aggression there too...telling nick to ignore us and yet listen to you, as if you're the sole voice of reason...you're becoming no better than Kcomicfan.

It's Pretty Sick, Don't You Think ?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZariusII

I just don't get what's turned blackspidey into what he is now...he used to be one of the cooler heads in these endless Slott arguments, he understood both sides etc, but now he views the anti-Slott side in the same contempt as others have around here. I've apologised to him before about stepping out of line when he acted this way before, but he routinely slips back into these pesky habits all too readily nowadays.

I've seen this happen so many times with other people on forums, it's usually those who are insecure about their own tastes that lash out like this. I remember how bad Power Rangers Megaforce was in 2013-2014, but I actually stood up for it because I thought it'd turn out to be great and would have a more resonating impact, but it amounted to nothing and the endgame was just a dire and cheap insult at the end of it all. There are still things I'll defend about it, but I understand why people hated it and they are justified in doing so, so I ease off when the piss'vinegar gets too much to read.

I'm in the same boat right now with Dinocharge's finale. A lot of fans have written it off, but I like it, but I understand where the negativity there comes from also and I ease off on them, I understand I am in a minority, but you don't see me telling people who'll listen to ignore a 'circle jerk', because if that many people are mad about something, they might just have a point worth listening to.

That's something blackspidey needs to consider before rudely labelling us

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: well seeing as we all crap all over an interpretation of Peters he loves I'm not surprised to be honest. Maybe we all need to be nicer to each other's points of view. Of course this the Internet so fat chance.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@zariusii: well seeing as we all crap all over an interpretation of Peters he loves I'm not surprised to be honest. Maybe we all need to be nicer to each other's points of view. Of course this the Internet so fat chance.

We definitely try to be...just some of us can't help but rib the ones that disagree with us. Maybe we take it too far ourselves.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Amazing has been quite good though. Immediately, it subverts your experiences and helps us explore Spider-Man's new world. There have been a lot of different story arcs happening in the book, and there's always another one waiting in the wings. Also, we finally get to see Peter stop just talking the talk when it comes to his motto (great power, great responsibility, blah blah blah) and actually fully act on it, by creating a company that's a true force for good in the world - both by itself as well as through funding and upgrading superheroes including Spidey, Mockingbird, SHIELD, and (recently) the Avengers. It's basically the Spidey we know and love, but taken to a larger scale. The only flaws with it are that Peter is sometimes written as extremely incompetent, a jarring contrast with how he is also the most capable person in the world, and also, some of the villains were a little dry.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blackspidey2099

@frogdog: So we have one person who is just beating off in a text box without even reading the book. Great. From your comment alone, I can tell you are just repeating key words you may have heard from others, since, in the actual comic, Peter is far from being a hand-me-down version of either. Not only does he have better tech, but he also built the company himself from being an average person, instead of having it handed to him, and also uses it as a force for good in the world, and is also clearly inexperienced with it. Not to mention, he is NOT a playboy at all - he had one girlfriend with whom the relationship failed, and that's it. It's a wholly different dynamic. Just as we can have multiple middle-class superheroes without accusing them of ripping each other off, we can have multiple billionaire genius superheroes without accusing them of ripping each other off.

@zariusii: Not sure why you say I'm viewing anti-Slott side in contempt when I have actually said I both enjoy most aspects of RYV and also have criticized Slott in the past. If anything, it's the 10 or so of you who repeatedly show contempt for literally everything (both good and bad) about 616 Spidey (despite the fact that whenever I've actually confronted a person about it, it inevitably ends with them agreeing that it is a good idea for Peter to be productive with his intelligence to save the world in both his guises, as Uncle Ben intended, though Slott may not be executing it well, but then ignoring what they said the next day) so I think it is understandable for me to be a bit frustrated when we have 10 people just going around in a circle with the exact same opinion. I'm sure you've noticed that pretty much everyone but me, who enjoys Volume 4 has disappeared from this forum, right? Even I've drastically reduced my posting. Well, there is a reason.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CAN WE ALL STOP BASHING EACHOTHER HERE?! WE TURNING INTO TUMBLR!!!

@blackspidey2099 you are totally allowed to love Slott's Amazing Spiderman as we are allowed to hate it. Yes, you are probably a minority here but we do need people like you around so we can see the other side of the argument.

We aren't circle jerks but nor are you a moron for our feelings about the present books. A lot agree Slott had some good ideas but a lot of these people say he cannot implement them well. A few people like Clone Saga's Twist. I don't think its a majority but you enjoy it so good on you.

@nicksmi56 I think you'd like Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows more but maybe you should also look into the present Amazing Spider-Man issues. Probably none from the big event. Try issue 1 and 2 and see how it feels to you. I did read issue 1 myself but didn't care for it, but maybe you will.

For me, its Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows as the 616 Peter doesn't fit well with me but nor does Miles Morales since all the story, origin, trials and bonds he had made have been completley been wiped and he now has no reason to be Spidey anymore WICH SUCKS!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: I did read issue 1 of Miles, but I think I liked him better in the Ultimate Universe. I did get a good laugh about him freaking out about "touching a demon from hell!!!"

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: Yeah, I understand quite a few of the reasons people dislike Slott's ASM - I just feel that the bad things are taken way too seriously, while the many good aspects are ignored.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: Yeah, I understand quite a few of the reasons people dislike Slott's ASM - I just feel that the bad things are taken way too seriously, while the many good aspects are ignored.

The good is far too overwhelmed by the bad. Its not just his writing, its him as well and his mindset.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: I did read issue 1 of Miles, but I think I liked him better in the Ultimate Universe. I did get a good laugh about him freaking out about "touching a demon from hell!!!"

I actually meant go read ASM #1. Go see if you like the corporate Peter Parker. I wasn't suggesting to read Miles issue 1. I kindaaaa....im mad they got rid of all his development!!!

Well he is more of an idea guy. His writing has too many holes and not fleshed out well enough.

Some ideas are good but others turn pretty bad. His attitude towards other's is bitter at times as well, especially for fans. He's used a lot of tactics to trick readers and it makes us very cross. I actually tried to read his series when he announced RYV thinking it was one of the stories that was supposed to merge over after secret wars, only for when it ended to be announced it wasn't going to. What I read was nothing I cared for or liked, and the story was just silly for me. Couldn't get into it and never will. So do I think he's bad? Yeah. He's not good at writing for spider-man in my opinion.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39 Lunacyde  Moderator

@zariusii said:

Oh, and nice passive-aggression there too...telling nick to ignore us and yet listen to you, as if you're the sole voice of reason in here, when you're anything but. How does it feel to alienate your friends here? And for what? To stand up to some dodgy high-priced absurdist funny book?

You're becoming no better than Kcomicfan. I used to tolerate how you've been lately, but I'm just about at my wit's end with you.

Neither adjective-less or ASM are particularly good, especially when compared to 2099, Spider-Woman, Silk, RYV, the newspaper strip etc.

Don't use other Viners names in a derogatory manner. Come on, it's not that hard.

Crazyspideyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By Crazyspideyfan

@itsaworld: Miles has physically lost his lore, but Bendis said he remembers everything.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: Miles has physically lost his lore, but Bendis said he remembers everything.

I thought someone just recently said that in Gwenpoole he doesn't recall that his mom died

Roxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Miles but only annoyed with how Marvel forced him out from Ultimate universe to mainstream universe.

He should stayed on his original verse, Miles has more charm there instead in 616, the only things i see now is a poor lad who forced to show off in strange place because his boss told him so.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By The_Waffle

Peter's a man-child and Miles is as lame as they come, pick your poison :(

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlike nearly anyone here I have read both and Spider-Man(miles) comic is really good.Peter's comic is boring unfortunetely.

Tell me you read miles comic please :/ otherwise you don't have the right to judge the character.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By amazingfantasy

@nicksmi56: ASM by far IMO. I dropped Miles' book, I'll always like Miles but I've decided that as long as Bendis is writing I won't enjoy his stories. But that's just my 2cents, I don't know if you've made your choice by now but if you can, try both and see what pleases you more.

You should also try RYV if possible... I personally think It's better than current ASM.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only upside of taking miles out of the ultimate universe is the chance of him interacting peter. But marvel being bad story tellers as is the norm nowadays stuffed him into his own solo book with almost no interaction with peter.

Miles should not have been given his own title in this way. What should have happened, is two spider-man books.

Amazing Spider-Man

Spider-men

Amazing Series would follow peter as per usual. Ideally without this tony stark rip off nonsense .

Spider-men would be about both characters with a focus on Miles. The prototype for this has already been written!

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By The_Waffle

@watcher5000 said:

Unlike nearly anyone here I have read both and Spider-Man(miles) comic is really good.Peter's comic is boring unfortunetely.

@the_waffle said:

Tell me you read miles comic please :/ otherwise you don't have the right to judge the character.

I have, he's got not personality, quite boring actually. He should also have his own name and identity, not riding on Peter Parker's legacy, then I might actually respect him.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheWatcherKing

@watcher5000 said:

@the_waffle said:

I have, he's got not personality, quite boring actually. He should also have his own name and identity, not riding on Peter Parker's legacy, then I might actually respect him.

Maybe you could say that about him when he was still in the ultimate universe but now he shows plenty of personality.And why does it matter if he shares the same name as him?I mean nobody hates on wally west or barry allen despite both taking there name from Jay Garrick.So why is it any different for miles? Or Miguel O'Hara, he also has the name spider-man but no one cares.Having the same name as someone is not a good reason not to like them.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ItsaWorld

@watcher5000:

I dunno man. I mean, I just see Miles being refused to grow. Bendis wants to stunt his growth as he won't give him his own villains or his own territory to fight in. Yes you did point out about the flash but here's where things are different. Spider-Man is more of a Batman/Superman character and thus Miles would be seen more as a Robin/Nightwing or Superboy character. This means we envision Miles gaining his own line of villains and having a brand new area to explore.

Yes the flash has Barry and Wally, but when Barry Allen is the Flash, Wally West tends to be Kid Flash. This is also why people are kinda confused Miles kept the name Spider-Man. He dawned that title to honor Peter Parker, yet there's a Peter Parker alive and still Spider-Man in this world. Why would he take it?

Sadly, Bendis has no interest in working on this story or what melded from 616 and 610. He instead just says 'miles remembers it all' and walks away as he seems more and more interested in writing for Riri. He likes being responsible for the new hero lineup but doesn't really know how to progress a character in my opinion.

The issues I see with Miles are stemming from the aftermath of OMD and Slott writing. We have around 6 spider-man heroes in the same world all working in new york city. Peter Parker, Kaine, Miles, Miles, Miguel and now Gwen from that cool cyberpunk universe.

Miguel is supposed to be our 2099 Spider-Man, in a future where Spidey is dead. He is supposed to be our Batman Beyond Terry Miguinness yet he is currently here in present day NY without any interest in leaving.

Gwen has appeared because Bendis wanted to initiate a romance between her and Miles that is fairly close to being seen as Pedophilia and more of slight insult to Peter Parker fans. It's also kinda rude to Ultimate Miles Morales fans since he knew 1610 Gwen who was considered Peter's sister who never had a romance with him and they were more of friends.

Miles has lost so much story, so much origin and so much potential when he moved to the 616 since Bendis refuses to do a thing with him that will grow him. Miles actually is living a fantastic life where everything is going rather well. Yes he is wanted by Captain Marvel, but look what he has! His mom and dad are alive, his dad will be working at shield, he has 2 mentors at times and a bunch of superhero friends who will always be there for him and support him....spider-man is supposed to be a story about someone who has real life problems or some issues in their life. Miles has lost all of this because Bendis wants him to be perfect. Perfection is not a good trait, it's hated. He is going to kill Miles!

Seriously, the best thing for Miles is to work in a cool new area and get some super awesome villains that define him as his own hero. I want to see him fight against a Praying Mantis villain. Two arachnids going at it!!!!

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld:

I dunno man. I mean, I just see Miles being refused to grow. Bendis wants to stunt his growth as he won't give him his own villains or his own territory to fight in. Yes you did point out about the flash but here's where things are different. Spider-Man is more of a Batman/Superman character and thus Miles would be seen more as a Robin/Nightwing or Superboy character. This means we envision Miles gaining his own line of villains and having a brand new area to explore.

Miles has never been a sidekick type character.If people view him as such that is their problem.

Yes the flash has Barry and Wally, but when Barry Allen is the Flash, Wally West tends to be Kid Flash. This is also why people are kinda confused Miles kept the name Spider-Man. He dawned that title to honor Peter Parker, yet there's a Peter Parker alive and still Spider-Man in this world. Why would he take it?

Except it was when Barry died that Wally became the flash.Even when Barry came back in Flash rebirth he still was the flash.

Sadly, Bendis has no interest in working on this story or what melded from 616 and 610. He instead just says 'miles remembers it all' and walks away as he seems more and more interested in writing for Riri. He likes being responsible for the new hero lineup but doesn't really know how to progress a character in my opinion.

Nothing supports this.

The issues I see with Miles are stemming from the aftermath of OMD and Slott writing. We have around 6 spider-man heroes in the same world all working in new york city. Peter Parker, Kaine, Miles, Miles, Miguel and now Gwen from that cool cyberpunk universe.

Gwen exists on earth 65 actually so that is completely bogus.Plus she is a spider-woman not a spider-man.Kaine is scarlet spider not spider-man, and that leaves only three Spider-Men and even then Miguel will be gone once he gets back to 2099.

Miguel is supposed to be our 2099 Spider-Man, in a future where Spidey is dead. He is supposed to be our Batman Beyond Terry Miguinness yet he is currently here in present day NY without any interest in leaving.

I know but I only care to be talking about miles not Miguel or Gwen.

Gwen has appeared because Bendis wanted to initiate a romance between her and Miles that is fairly close to being seen as Pedophilia and more of slight insult to Peter Parker fans. It's also kinda rude to Ultimate Miles Morales fans since he knew 1610 Gwen who was considered Peter's sister who never had a romance with him and they were more of friends.

She was created as an alternate spider character because of the spider verse event not because of miles.You obviously don't know what you are talking about here.And the age difference is very small Miles is nearly 17 and Gwen barely 18.Plus the crossover isn't over so to judge it is dumb at best.Plus ult peter and gwen dated so they weren't never like family.

Miles has lost so much story, so much origin and so much potential when he moved to the 616 since Bendis refuses to do a thing with him that will grow him. Miles actually is living a fantastic life where everything is going rather well. Yes he is wanted by Captain Marvel, but look what he has! His mom and dad are alive, his dad will be working at shield, he has 2 mentors at times and a bunch of superhero friends who will always be there for him and support him....spider-man is supposed to be a story about someone who has real life problems or some issues in their life. Miles has lost all of this because Bendis wants him to be perfect. Perfection is not a good trait, it's hated. He is going to kill Miles!

He isn't wanted by Shield.You obviously don't read his comics.Although a lot good may be happening his life is far from perfect.
    He is known by the media as the guy who will probably kill Captain America.

And here are some of his current troubles

No Caption Provided

Plus he has to find his dad who is lost somewhere in the multiverse.

Read his current comics I promise they're good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.