Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Best Harry Osborn: Franco or Dehaan?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By THORSON

I was proven wrong when I saw the TAM 2 trailer I thought this Harry would be a wimpy and annoying. I thought Franco's Harry was untouchable, but I was proven wrong. DeHaan presented a much better Harry than expected. I was even able to get by his goofy hair style because his performance was spot on.

He came up strong from start to finish. I was originally upset that he was the green goblin first but nevertheless, the movie was great and Dehaan did very great.

Much detailed movie than the 1st series.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked his harry, would have preferred he built up his harry character more...their friendship and what not, he came back...then he went insane and became gobby. Talk about jam packed character development. I would have preferred to see one more movie with harry and peter on the fine line of friends and enemies. That is where i found the rami ones superior. and Norman seems like a waste in these ones

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Dehaan alittle more, Dane's just a better actor than Franco. Guess they're going with Harry as the Green Goblin instead of Norman..thought quickly killing off Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn is a waste of talent IMO

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@thorson: They played a "different" character.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Franco as Harry.

The other guy as Goblin.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
    Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dehaan was better. I actually prefer Webbs versions/movies over Raimis. I think Normans still alive. My theory is he figured out Peter was Spiderman (via all his spying), used his "death" as an avenue to bring Harry home and manipulate their friendship so that Harry would essentially be his cure and test rat!

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to be "that guy", but they are both terrible. However it's mainly because the scripts and not necessarily the actors.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I liked how Harry was done in the original trilogy more because it better captured Peter and Harry's complicated friendship. Harry's road to becoming Green Goblin felt so rushed in TASM2.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franco as Harry.

The other guy as Goblin.

Seriously? TASM2's Green Goblin was terrible, I understand you preferring Franco's Harry (even though I prefer personally prefer Dane's), but LIKING DeHaan's Green Goblin is perplexing.

Avatar image for theblackpeterparker
    TheBlackPeterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I think Franco did well, but not as New Goblin.

I think Franco did better than DeHaan, but his preformance was still amazing.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I think Franco did well, but not as New Goblin.

I think Franco did better than DeHaan, but his preformance was still amazing.

Well to be fair, the "New Goblin" persona lacked any kind of personality outside of Harry. It wasn't like Norman who had gone insane, Harry was still basically Harry.

I think DeHaan's character was better, but that's mostly because he HAD more character. As in, Franco did everything with what was written for him, but the Webb Harry was a much more in-depth character.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@ultrastarkiller said:

Franco as Harry.

The other guy as Goblin.

Seriously? TASM2's Green Goblin was terrible, I understand you preferring Franco's Harry (even though I prefer personally prefer Dane's), but LIKING DeHaan's Green Goblin is perplexing.

I never said anything about liking. I just think that Harry's New Goblin was cool (to watch) but wasn't really Green Goblin. This guy was on screen for 2 minutes and he already killed Pete's girlfriend and had a cool laugh. Other than him needing the suit to have powers he was ok to me.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ascended

If anybody thinks James Franco can be compared to Dane DeHaan in terms of which Goblin was better, they are seriously missing out a couple of things for a discussion.

1) Norman Osborn was the first and original Green Goblin in the trilogy. TASM is different because they have Harry portraying as the GG first.

2) Harry Osborn wasn't Green Goblin yet until Spider-man 3.

3) Given statements 1 and 2, the two can't really be compared since James Franco took over the leftover technology at Oscorp to be a less suited, but normal Green Goblin like his dad was.

4) I think James Franco looks a lot more like Harry Osborn than Dane DeHaan does.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..they were both great, DeHaan was more sinister, Franco played the slicker, smoother guy..

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ryagan said:

I liked how Harry was done in the original trilogy more because it better captured Peter and Harry's complicated friendship. Harry's road to becoming Green Goblin felt so rushed in TASM2.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan said:

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dane, he had more depth in one movie than franco had in three. you can say it was rushed but dane really sold the concept of a desperate man being denied his whole life by the ones he loved most. i remember watching an interview from lars ulrich on danes performance in metallica through the never and what he said was spot on. dane has those eyes that express more then what a couple words can. a better placed plot would of made this twice as apparent.

Douglatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with Dehaan's Harry is that his friendship with Peter is forced (like so much else in ASM2). We're told they are best friends but the relationship is not organic. Even more forced is Harry's hatred of Peter and Spider-Man. Sure, he was desperate and needed Spidey's blood but the turn is too sudden and doesn't do the character justice. Perhaps if he was introduced in ASM1 we would get a better sense of their history but, as is, the film seemed to fast-track him to Goblin-hood at the expense of depth.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dehaan was better. I actually prefer Webbs versions/movies over Raimis. I think Normans still alive. My theory is he figured out Peter was Spiderman (via all his spying), used his "death" as an avenue to bring Harry home and manipulate their friendship so that Harry would essentially be his cure and test rat!

I think he faked his death to die to motivate Harry to have the killer instinct.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Harry was one of Franco's best acting displays. But Dehaan was just a touch better in terms of acting.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dehaan have a better goblin suit... and goblin look... that going to him....

But better Harry Osborn is Franco... and yea still is so early to compare them two... because i believe that we will see Dehaan again !

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But why was Dehaan always wearing Black in the movie?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franco.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Really tough choice, both were fantastic. It comes down to this; Franco was better at angst and DeHaan was better at flat out-evil. Like I said though, both were outstanding.

RedExorcism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298 Because he looks really fucking hot in black, he also looks really hot in blue.

SymbioteSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who thinks aunt May should be played by Jessica Alba. mHmm

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I'll be honest I like Franco more so far but he's had an entire trilogy. Dehaan was interesting when he was Harry but became less interesting as the Goblin. In fact I think he was more of a threat as Harry Osborn then as the Goblin. I also really hated the look of Dehaan's Goblin form.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franco's Harry is much more authentic - but Dehaan stole the show, his motivation and arc was more believable, and, well - he was a deeper character and a WAAAY better Goblin.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dehaan has made more in less time that Franco and Maguire put together.

His friendship with Garfield works in the movie thanks to him, Orci scripts are terrible but actors fix Orci horrible writing, not only that but Garfield feels more like Peter when is around him, again thanks to Dehaan looking natural in screen.

Dehaan wasnt given more that Franco, he just made more, for one reason, he is a better actor, he out acted everybody in the movie without any problem.

If you will start Franco is a better actor, please go and watch Kill you Darlings and Life After Beth, not saying to watch all his movies, just those two.

He has a better acting range.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

I like Dehaan more..then again, I like all the casting choices in Webb's films more than Raimi's save J.Jonah Jameson.

TheAmazingCade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franco as Harry, and neither as goblin. I really wish they would just make the original goblin, green skin purple hat. They made it seem like that's where it was going, with Norman's hand turning green & getting long nails. Green Goblin Never had slicked back hair. I believe the only good villain in the movie was Electro.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
    i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dehaan, more like de'crappy actor young leonardo dicaprio wannabe'. france is the best harry osborn/green goblin we've had so far. dehaan was a joke, just there for the pathetically comedic gwen death.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like Dane as an actor better and think he did a better job at playing his part than franco, but overall the writing for Franco was much better and the character had an arc throughout the trilogy so I have more to go by. I know in the bts for ASM2 I think Marc Webb said something like we'll see more of Harry in ASM3, so maybe that will add more character growth.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeHann wasn't bad, Franco was a TINY bit better, mainly because they rushed everything in ASM2... I think they left out character development because they wanted to introduce Green Goblin...

majinn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going by PURE acting, I would say James Franco by a slight margin. But I must Dane Dehaan surprisingly did a hell of a job with his Harry as well. Especially given how poorly they handled his character in TASM2.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franco

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ASM 2 was not good at all.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Both suck

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both suck but I like Dane an a kinda gay way, so there's that.

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither were that great, but Franco.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was good with Franco, he got to essentially be Harry Osborn to the completion of a story arc. Not all of it was the other guy's fault. But a lot of the Amazing Spider-Man 2 story, including the Goblin, got shoved in there. JMO

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preffered the Harry Osborne story starring Franco. Dehaan wasn't used as much as Franco's story did let alone the Amazing Spiderman run plastered Harry as the wicked evil while Raimi's depicted the goblin legacy.

In other words, i agree with @diehard200904

When it comes down to it, its not about what actor I prefer, it's what Harry story I prefer...and I prefer the Raimi version.

The Raimi version showed us a real image of a close friendship between Peter and Harry. The two were close, hung out together from the good times and the bad. Harry knew Uncle Ben and Aunt May and Peter knew Norman. They had talks about eachother's families with even Harry talking about how his father seems to favor Peter in ways and let it be known he was envious that Peter was so loved by his own father.

We saw Harry become torn up over his father's death and the pain Peter felt, feeling somewhat responsible. Harry let his anguish tear him up inside and Peter decided it was best to keep out of Harry's life because of his past actions. Like the conflict Harry feels right after, when learning that Peter is spider-man is so good too! He is heavily conflicted over whether to seek revenge for his father's death or move on and trust that when Peter said it was an accident, it was an accident.

This was such a good depiction of two friends in a battle against one another. You love Harry as much as you love the main hero, because you can understand where he is coming from. The Raimi films made me love the friendship between Harry and Peter and made me a bit dissapointed that the comics didn't always show it well and that Ultimate Spiderman comics barley had Harry in there.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dane Dehann

Rock_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James, but I didn't like either.

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually wish James did get cast for Peter Parker, he would've made such a good Peter and Spider-Man

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.