Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Bendis confirms Symbiote home planet GOTG

Naz_islike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Naz_islike

Looks like Bendis plans on exploring the Symbiote home planet! Edit: Spelling

Ahh snap!
    Ahh snap!

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Marionettegeist

Could be interesting. I've never really thought much about their home planet. I always assumed they were near extinction.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

that actually sounds...pretty awesome

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts exactly.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This is gonna to be cool.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber said:

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts are better

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kidchipotle

Oh this is going to be AWESOME.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bystander
    Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheFirstLantern
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im mixed on this but ill check it out

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds so goddamn boring. Symbiotes don't even do anything, besides attach themselves to people and make them less interesting. A planet full of barely sentient, probably evil, slime. Fascinating.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Sounds pretty cool

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TazzMission

@mideonnviscera said:

Sounds so goddamn boring. Symbiotes don't even do anything, besides attach themselves to people and make them less interesting. A planet full of barely sentient, probably evil, slime. Fascinating.

my only worry is this going to be some lame way to push more toys based on the symbiotes like a rocket raccoon in symbiote or a starlord in symbiote? in a sense this reminds me of when geoff johns introduced all those other colored lanterns not just in gl but blackest night as well i.e avarice lex and a red lantern mera. they made a killing by those toys

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 vance_astro  Moderator

I'm bored with symbiotes at this point.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice ive been waiting for them to explore the symbiote history more since minimum carnage

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm bored with symbiotes at this point.

as am i with clones : shutters:

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mideonnviscera said:

my only worry is this going to be some lame way to push more toys based on the symbiotes like a rocket raccoon in symbiote or a starlord in symbiote? in a sense this reminds me of when geoff johns introduced all those other colored lanterns not just in gl but blackest night as well i.e avarice lex and a red lantern mera. they made a killing by those toys

Oh you just know we're gonna get symbiote everyone.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TazzMission

@mideonnviscera said:

@tazzmission said:

@mideonnviscera said:

this is why im very selective in my comic reading honestly. i hate how they would add something pointless just to sell figures for 20 bucks a pop or make some impossible sdcc only figure exclusive. i dont know much on bendis but im digging his run on gotg even though it is slow to an extent but i just hate the idea that marvel has to add one of there many biggest characters to the title just to sell more copies. when i see a franchise in comics i want it to succeed on its own organicley without pressure of having to be outshined by a charachter that has been established for years.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tupiaz

@mideonnviscera said:

@tazzmission said:

@mideonnviscera said:

this is why im very selective in my comic reading honestly. i hate how they would add something pointless just to sell figures for 20 bucks a pop or make some impossible sdcc only figure exclusive. i dont know much on bendis but im digging his run on gotg but i just hate the idea that marvel has to add one of there many biggest characters to the title just to sell more copies. when i see a franchise in comics i want it to succeed on its own organicley without pressure of having to be outshined by a charachter that has been established for years.

Well the Symbiote was created in a comic that was created so it could sell toys (Secret Wars).

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually they're completely sentient, even have their own form of morals and laws. They move from planet to planet, attaching themselves to hosts, then forcing them to run through death traps until they die so they can feed off their host's adrenaline. Then when the population is exhausted, they move on to the next. The Venom symbiote we know was locked up in the storage container Spidey found it in because the other symbiotes thought it was psychopathic, crazy. And they thought that because the Venom symbiote wanted to permanently bond with a host rather than burning through them.

Incidentally, we also know from the Toxin storyline that they also have birthing rituals, and are experienced enough in it to recognize mental breakdown (which presupposes significant intelligence) is much more likely to occur at the 999th spawning... Think it was 999th... They also have patricidal (basically, don't think they really have genders) traditions, where the spawned symbiote harbors a great deal of hate and homicidal animosity towards their predecessor, which is mutual, making it the grandparent's job to teach the next spawn.

... So yeah. Definitely evil. But also indisputably intelligent. And we don't know how they'll react to someone whose harmed, much less lobotomized one of their own, such as has been done to the Venom symbiote.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

@mideonnviscera said:

Actually they're completely sentient, even have their own form of morals and laws. They move from planet to planet, attaching themselves to hosts, then forcing them to run through death traps until they die so they can feed off their host's adrenaline. Then when the population is exhausted, they move on to the next. The Venom symbiote we know was locked up in the storage container Spidey found it in because the other symbiotes thought it was psychopathic, crazy. And they thought that because the Venom symbiote wanted to permanently bond with a host rather than burning through them.

Incidentally, we also know from the Toxin storyline that they also have birthing rituals, and are experienced enough in it to recognize mental breakdown (which presupposes significant intelligence) is much more likely to occur at the 999th spawning... Think it was 999th... They also have patricidal (basically, don't think they really have genders) traditions, where the spawned symbiote harbors a great deal of hate and homicidal animosity towards their predecessor, which is mutual, making it the grandparent's job to teach the next spawn.

... So yeah. Definitely evil. But also indisputably intelligent. And we don't know how they'll react to someone whose harmed, much less lobotomized one of their own, such as has been done to the Venom symbiote.

And they have some tradition called "The Culling" that has yet to be revealed

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, they can think. They can't do anything interesting, nonetheless.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JonSmith

@mideonnviscera said:

Alright, they can think. They can't do anything interesting, nonetheless.

... Y'know how the Venom symbiote jacks powers? Like it hopped on Spider-man, and now gives his powers to anyone else it latches onto? That's a standard symbiote ability. And subsequent spawnings get IMPROVED versions of those powers, such as Carnage, who improved Spidey's web ability into constructs and projectiles, and Toxin, who improved Spidey's adrenaline bursts into full on Hulk outs. Both of which are stronger and faster than Venom and Peter.

There's no telling what abilities the symbiotes have picked up. No telling how many planets they've consumed. They could do ANYTHING. Have the tech of a thousand scavenged worlds. They're all wild cards, all we know is that they're born to be stronger than their predecessor. Imagine if the symbiotes consumed a Skrull, and how those powers would be improved in subsequent spawnings. Or a Kree. Or an Eternal, a Titan. Possibilities are endless.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#28  Edited By Teerack

But..... didn't they explain in Scarlet Spider that the symbiotes come from the microverse.... not a planet... :| It was seriously a story only like like... 4 or 5 months ago.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith What a symbiote can do depends completely on what the writer says. There's no consistency to them at all. Not even Venom. Why did Mac Gargan need some special injection or whatever to look like Spider-Man? That's what the symbiote looked like in the first place. Why is it all of a sudden so evil and corrupting? It wasn't when Spider-Man wore it. He only rejected it because it grossed him out, basically. Even Eddie Brock was the true lunatic in his pairing, at least originally. The symbiote was just coming off a long period of loneliness and rejection.

The idea was cool when there was just Venom. I'll give them Carnage just because of nostalgia, and they really couldn't resist I'm sure. Then there's 5 more, then Toxin, whatever the hell Anti-Venom was, definitely at least one or two more.

Not only are they horribly played out, but they're just monsters. They can have as much backstory as they want. When they're on the page they're just a bunch of slashy big toothed monsters screaming and clawing at stuff.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

But..... didn't they explain in Scarlet Spider that the symbiotes come from the microverse.... not a planet... :| It was seriously a story only like like... 4 or 5 months ago.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does this Microverse thing line up with the time Venom screamed really loud and we got Planet of the Symbiotes? haha God, symbiotes, you suck.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:D :D :D :D :D :D Thankfully bendis got ahold of this story before anyone else thought it up. I want him to write it and nobody else. (Especially not slott LOL)

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SilverPool

This sounds pretty cool. I've always liked the symbiotes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.