Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Before I read Spider-Men II?

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AmazingSpiderDan

I haven't read any of Marvel's comics since the recent Secret Wars event. I've heard of whats going on in this title, and that title but other than that I haven't really paid it too much attention until recently when I heard Spider-Men II was going to be an actual thing. I really enjoyed the first crossover with Miles and Peter but then I kind of got a little concerned;

Doesn't Secret Wars and the merging of the universes defeat the purpose of continuing the series Spider-Men if the first one is pretty much null and void considering the Ultimate Universe and it's history has been pretty much wiped away?

I ask this question for the sake of the ending to the first Spider-Men with Peter wondering if his universe had a Miles Morales. When Spider-Men ended the only thing people wanted to know was what did Peter see when he searched up "Miles Morales", but now none of that matters because thanks to the universe merge, there is only one Miles Morales and Peter already knows of him, and their history and friendship has changed because Spider-Men didn't happen in this new universe.

So pretty much what I'm asking is, is Spider-Men II a continuation of Spider-Men, and if so, how and what is the story so far, and is it worth buying?

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By amazingfantasy

@amazingspiderdan: Yes, it is a direct continuation of Spider-Men. The focus this time is on who 616 Miles is and not anything more. And IMO no it is not worth buying. The whys:
    First of all I think they are way too late for this sequel, they missed the timing, and it lacks the special factors that the original one had. What I mean is, with the lack of a Ultiverse, Peter/Miles in the same universe and used to each other, etc. Out of universe it was the first crossover ever between UU and 616. Plus ever since Spider-Verse and SW, these multiversal crossovers are way less special, it's almost a regular thing and there literally was a spider-book focused on it (Web Warriors), Miles himself just had a multiversal crossover with Spider-Gwen, etc.
    So yeah basically for those reasons, Spider-Men II lacks the original 'magic', fun factor that the original Spider-Men had. It's hardly as special, that could easily be a story in either of their books or even a crossover, it doesn't justify a mini-series like the original did.
    And secondly, it's simply bad storytelling-wise, the pacing is bad, and as someone put it on another forum, the stakes are lower and it's hard to care for what's on. The issues are boring and I don't expect it to get better. Btw (small spoiler) it was revealed on today's issue what Peter found on the last page of Spider-Men. I and others found it to be... lacking, to say the least. lol

But of course, all of that's just my 2cents. Your opinion may differ from mine and you may enjoy it, who knows (If possible, checking the first issue and see if it works for ya could be a good call). Peace!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.