Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Are the Spider-Man stories getting more Rick and Mortesqe

Avatar image for creationalworld
    creationalworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I noticed the plots starting in BND are getting more sci fi and high urban science fantasy. Peter is more rooted in heavy technological concepts this time and is making his world more about Spider-Man than Peter Parker which is like a Rick and Morty episode combining reality and science all the time.

Is this the new direction you like tackling, I'm on board because I never found Spider-Man compelling as a heavy drama based story and I liked the dramatic arcs like tngsd and the back in black because they had alot of heavy action to balance that, I only find the dark and mature stories appealing to dark and mature heroes like Punisher, Wolverine, Daredevil, Animal Man, etc, Spider-Man works better as a modern science genre clash of slice of life(Rick and Morty) than a action drama soap opera but thats just me.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@creationalworld: No. Spider Man's over focus on "science" is not very good. And the new cartoon makes Peter into an utter annoying brat, not going a sentence without uttering a scientific term. Comic book science, cartoon science is far from reliable and kids grow up listening to that thinking its true.

Spider Man is a genius. But his genius came in the form of ingenuity and resourcefulness in how he applied his smarts to take down villains or solve problematic crises.

I like Spider Man Peter Parker more like in the JMS era or the current Renew Your Vows series. Peter owning a super corporation or designing super spider suits and spider vehicles is a ripoff of Batman and Iron Man. Those aspects are not him. Spider Man is the hero everyone from any class can relate to because he deals with normal everyday problems and he has to balance that with the affairs of being Spider Man.

However that does not mean I want Peter to remain a broke freelance photographer who can never hold down a date. GOD NO! Those days are dead, but his extensive sci fi fantasy with dimension hopping and all that is not appealing. That's more Flash territory.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, because Rick and Morty happens to be good.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I noticed the plots starting in BND are getting more sci fi and high urban science fantasy. Peter is more rooted in heavy technological concepts this time and is making his world more about Spider-Man than Peter Parker which is like a Rick and Morty episode combining reality and science all the time.

Is this the new direction you like tackling, I'm on board because I never found Spider-Man compelling as a heavy drama based story and I liked the dramatic arcs like tngsd and the back in black because they had alot of heavy action to balance that, I only find the dark and mature stories appealing to dark and mature heroes like Punisher, Wolverine, Daredevil, Animal Man, etc, Spider-Man works better as a modern science genre clash of slice of life(Rick and Morty) than a action drama soap opera but thats just me.

Yeah, I'd like a balance between the dramatic elements and the extreme technology, since they don't have to be mutually exclusive. But I really like that Spider-Man comics are taking a more science-focused angle of late. It is a much better fit for the character.

creationalworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By creationalworld

@ursaber said:

@creationalworld: No. Spider Man's over focus on "science" is not very good. And the new cartoon makes Peter into an utter annoying brat, not going a sentence without uttering a scientific term. Comic book science, cartoon science is far from reliable and kids grow up listening to that thinking its true.

Spider Man is a genius. But his genius came in the form of ingenuity and resourcefulness in how he applied his smarts to take down villains or solve problematic crises.

I like Spider Man Peter Parker more like in the JMS era or the current Renew Your Vows series. Peter owning a super corporation or designing super spider suits and spider vehicles is a ripoff of Batman and Iron Man. Those aspects are not him. Spider Man is the hero everyone from any class can relate to because he deals with normal everyday problems and he has to balance that with the affairs of being Spider Man.

However that does not mean I want Peter to remain a broke freelance photographer who can never hold down a date. GOD NO! Those days are dead, but his extensive sci fi fantasy with dimension hopping and all that is not appealing. That's more Flash territory.

I never saw or bought Peter as a Normal everyday guy, it's just me. He's makes more sense as a super science guy with how he has the brains to compete with super genius villians like ock and norman.

Plus alien symbiotes/spider totems is just a big symbol of Spidey's heavy lack of realism from sci fi.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber said:

I never saw or bought Peter as a Normal everyday guy, it's just me. He's makes more sense as a super science guy with how he has the brains to compete with super genius villians like ock and norman.

Plus alien symbiotes/spider totems is just a big symbol of Spidey's heavy lack of realism from sci fi.

Him being a comic book character, with comic book science and logic and having superpowers is already an indicator of his fiction. However the experiences he goes through are everyday problems all of us faces. He lives in the neighborhood, he hangs around normal people and not the gods, he lives among us, etc.

Mr Fantastic, Bruce Banner and Tony Stark are the super science guys. Peter Parker is a genius but his main theme is not science, rather its a potent compliment to his ensemble of themes.

creationalworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By creationalworld

@ursaber said:
    @creationalworld said:
    @ursaber said:

Him being a comic book character, with comic book science and logic and having superpowers is already an indicator of his fiction. However the experiences he goes through are everyday problems all of us faces. He lives in the neighborhood, he hangs around normal people and not the gods, he lives among us, etc.

Mr Fantastic, Bruce Banner and Tony Stark are the super science guys. Peter Parker is a genius but his main theme is not science, rather its a potent compliment to his ensemble of themes.

His everday hardships are PIS indications of a writers self insert wishes and lack of imagination to keep him from being more old and wise(to keep him from changing too much for new readers). Peter every new arc is written like a overgrown teenager that can't learn accountability for the risks in his life and thinks to much about taking on too much due to guilt, pride and lack of confidence instead of planning his actions like an adult and learning to mature into a confident and self aware man with friends in high places and the brains to improve his life knowing he can "choose" his responsibility instead of forcing it on himself. His Experiences are moving, but no different from Superman and Flash, they are noticeable for having everyday problems too but still embrace the suspension of disbelief as superheroes and fantasy types. Peter has shown he works in both realistic types and outlandish types, but the stories still have him overcoming realistic problems in outlandish ways, and it then becomes unbelievably formulaic he's still in the same he was in previous arcs.

And theres nothing wrong being a person who has normal and amazing friends(no pun intented), Spider-Man is supposed to be the window to the viewer of reality and fiction representing the fan and being the hero at the same time. He hangs out with Gods and Millionaires and he has a normal girlfriend , thats probably how he's super popular, he's wish fulfillment for the wish fulfillment sake. His melodrama nowdays is corny superhero tacked on like all the other main stream marvel stories. But I never thought Spider-Man in the comics was a normal down to earth story, his failures and dark moments are seriously handwaved and forgotten the next issue via comicbook status quo, characters like Punisher, Hank Pym and Daredevil always get their past flaws exposed each new arc and literally have hell to pay with little expectations for a happy heroic ending or emotional comfort. Spidey loses his baby and MJ dies or is lost somewhere, and dies but that still doesn't stop him cracking jokes with deadpool and fighting the rhino while having sex with Black Cat.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ursaber

@creationalworld said:

His everday hardships are PIS indications of a writers self insert wishes and lack of imagination to keep him from being more old and wise(to keep him from changing too much for new readers). Peter every new arc is written like a overgrown teenager that can't learn accountability for the risks in his life and thinks to much about taking on too much due to guilt, pride and lack of confidence instead of planning his actions like an adult and learning to mature into a confident and self aware man with friends in high places and the brains to improve his life knowing he can "choose" his responsibility instead of forcing it on himself. His Experiences are moving, but no different from Superman and Flash, they are noticeable for having everyday problems too but still embrace the suspension of disbelief as superheroes and fantasy types. Peter has shown he works in both realistic types and outlandish types, but the stories still have him overcoming realistic problems in outlandish ways, and it then becomes unbelievably formulaic he's still in the same he was in previous arcs.

And theres nothing wrong being a person who has normal and amazing friends(no pun intented), Spider-Man is supposed to be the window to the viewer of reality and fiction representing the fan and being the hero at the same time. He hangs out with Gods and Millionaires and he has a normal girlfriend , thats probably how he's super popular, he's wish fulfillment for the wish fulfillment sake. His melodrama nowdays is corny superhero tacked on like all the other main stream marvel stories. But I never thought Spider-Man in the comics was a normal down to earth story, his failures and dark moments are seriously handwaved and forgotten the next issue via comicbook status quo, characters like Punisher, Hank Pym and Daredevil always get their past flaws exposed each new arc and literally have hell to pay with little expectations for a happy heroic ending or emotional comfort. Spidey loses his baby and MJ dies or is lost somewhere, and dies but that still doesn't stop him cracking jokes with deadpool and fighting the rhino while having sex with Black Cat.

^You have just described the last ten years of Spider Man who's been reduced to an immature man child who has a formulaic non growth journey. Thanks to Dan Slott.

^Indeed I've always advocated that Spider Man is the avatar for every reader within a comic book. Such is the immersion and connection one feel's with Peter Parker that we replace ourselves into the story.

But I fail to understand the point you're trying to make. That the perception or construct of Spider Man's character is highly malleable or that he should be something specific.

My greatest lure to Spider Man is that when I saw him and read about him, I felt that I WAS Spider Man. My greatest lure to him, was that I WAS HIM!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.