Andrew Garfield vs Tom Holland

Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16364 posts) 4 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Andrew Garfield vs Tom Holland (19 votes)

Andrew Garfield 32%
Tom Holland 68%

Who is the better Peter Parker/Spider-Man ?

#1 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16364 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield is better in every way IMO

#2 Posted by Amcu (16896 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Tom Holland better. More relatable acts more like a real person to me.

#3 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield was a waaaaay better Spiderman.

Beata

#4 Posted by kiba (3740 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#5 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16518 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom is the best live action Spider-Man

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#6 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

This is not a discussion.

Andrew is a great actor, but a horid Peter Parker.
Sure, the script he was given, in both movies, was abominable but he didn't help it.

I can't relate to sexy, skater, hipster Peter Parker, and vengeance Spider-Man.
Sorry.

#9 Posted by InvadedTBD (1592 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Garfield but Holland can past him with more solo movies.

I hate Tobey McGuire but that just my opinion

#10 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16364 posts) - - Show Bio

@Elbarto17:

Andrew is a great actor, but a horid Peter Parker.

Sure, the script he was given, in both movies, was abominable but he didn't help it.

How was he a horrid Peter Parker ? Tobey's was a thousand times more horrid, I get he is supposed to be a nerd but the movie took it to unseen heights and more than a nerd he was an awkward, dork, cheesy and weird guy, and his Spider-Man, well, it had nothing in common with 616 aside from costume and powers, but zero personality.

With Holland, honestly he sometimes struck me as if I was watching Miles instead of Peter and I hate that, granted Holland himself is the best thing about Homecoming, but that's not saying much, the movie spit on the faces of most supporting characters and turned them into unrecognizable and unlikable people. Anyway, aside from the very first scene he had in the MCU in the shape of his talk with Tony Stark, Holland's Peter never struck me as someone who wants to help and do the right thing just because it is the right thing to do.

I can't relate to sexy, skater, hipster Peter Parker, and vengeance Spider-Man.

The only point I could mildly support is the skater part, the sexy and hispter no way, I mean, Garfield himself is good looking but in the movie he never acted or had the personality of a "sexy" guy, he was clearly someone with some social problems, a loner, sexy is more than just how you look, its the complete package, if it's just how they look, well, using your logic Holland is also too sexy to be Peter. I mean, have you seen the amount of girls crushing on him on social media ? It's even more than with Andrew.

Granted, I still hate the skater part, I remember back in 2012 watching the movie for the first time my mom turned her head to me and said "what the hell is Peter Parker doing with a skateboard"

As for vengeance Spider-Man, you mean like Tobey's where he went against his uncle's murderer viciously and his persecution actually costed the life of said criminal ? Or Andrew's who understood mid-way that his powers should not be used for vengeance and focused instead on a larger threat ?

But this is between Holland and Garfield, so you prefer Holland's Spider-Man who never actually seems to have a clear motivation to do what he is doing ? And instead of helping people because it's what must be done, it seems like he just wants some paternal validation from Stark and impress him so maybe he can be an Avenger some day ?

#11 Posted by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, Garfield himself is good looking but in the movie he never acted or had the personality of a "sexy" guy

Watch the first movie, the amount of sexy "i want to umf you" looks he gives Gwen, in EVERY scene is unreal.

As for vengeance Spider-Man, you mean like Tobey's where he went against his uncle's murderer viciously and his persecution actually costed the life of said criminal ? Or Andrew's who understood mid-way that his powers should not be used for vengeance and focused instead on a larger threat ?

He never understood responsibility, which is a mildly important fact in the Peter Parker character, don't you think?

But again, this is the script, not him.
So there's really no reason arguing about it, the thread is about the actors.

#12 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16364 posts) - - Show Bio

@Elbarto17:

Watch the first movie, the amount of sexy "i want to umf you" looks he gives Gwen, in EVERY scene is unreal.

Lol, I didn't get those vibes from the way he looked Gwen, I think that's more up to interpretation hehe.

He never understood responsibility, which is a mildly important fact in the Peter Parker character, don't you think?

The most important fact, I'd say, but I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Andrew's Peter was not responsible, quite the contrary, and that much was clear and further solidified in the final scene where Peter listens to Uncle Ben's voice message.

#13 Edited by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that's more up to interpretation hehe.

I'm sorry but it isn't.

Andrew's a great actor, but as Peter Parker he's not believable.....he acts more like a hipster and less like an outcast, it literally doesn't make sense for Flash to be bullying him, he's too cool.

The most important fact, I'd say, but I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Andrew's Peter was not responsible, quite the contrary, and that much was clear and further solidified in the final scene where Peter listens to Uncle Ben's voice message.

My man said that "not kept promises are the best kind" to Gwen Stacy after her father specifically told him to stay away from her because he would ENDANGER HER WELL BEING BY DATING HER.
That is NOT Peter goddamn Parker.

#14 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.