Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

A few questions about Spiderman's physical strength

Avatar image for cannotspellmyname
    CannotSpellMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CannotSpellMyName

Most official sources say that Spiderman can lift approximately 10 tons. His physical strength also extends to his leg muscles, allowing him to jump several stories high. Considering this, I've got three questions about Spiderman's physical strength:

A) Considering that Spiderman is able to lift 10 tons and his strength also extends to his leg muscles effectively making him at least hundred times stronger than most grown up men, shouldn't Spiderman be able to leap over skyscrapers rather than "only" several stories high? Why is his lifting strength not proportionate to how high he can jump? Is it just because the writers wanted him to be that physically strong but thought that it would be corny and ridiculous if his jumping abilities were similarly enhanced?

B) Why is Spiderman, and most other individuals with super strength in comics, not heavier than normal humans although their muscles are hundreds of times more effective? Doesn't stronger muscles also get heavier? Has comics ever made any attempt to explain this?

C) Does Peter Parker have to eat large quantities of food to maintain his extreme physique?

If you know the answer or has a theory to only one of these questions, please don't hesitate to share them! And please, do not reply: "Because it's comics", I am perfectly aware of that fact, thank you very much.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By KainScion

@CannotSpellMyName: A). i dont think he should leap over skyscrapers. several stories high is enough. hes not the hulk. he swings. its his thing. it would make his webshooters pointless and not very not very spider-like (i know spiders dont swing but still). hes not grasshopper man.

B). i think they explained that by saying muscles are not heavier but denser. thats why skinny guys like pete can lift 10 tons.

C). uumm shouldnt he have to have a strict diet to keep the physique? he doesnt have an accelerated metabolism. not flash. he eats like a regular guy but gets all the workout he needs through swinging around, villain battles.

hope i helped. a little.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

A) 10 tons is his base strength. What he can lift before exerting himself. When he's on adrenaline or being pressured he can lift more (his recent demonstration of ripping through Carbonadium is a good example).

B) What Kain said. They aren't heavier simply denser.

C) Pete has never had to go on a special diet as far as i'm aware. However I believe during his early years there was a few instances when people see him eating a lot and comment on it. So it is perfectly possible he does eat more than a regular person. I'm pretty sure his physique is always kept the same due to his metabolism (kinda like Captain America).

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By SpidermanWins

@Strider92 said:

A) 10 tons is his base strength. What he can lift before exerting himself. When he's on adrenaline or being pressured he can lift more (his recent demonstration of ripping through Carbonadium is a good example).

C) Pete has never had to go on a special diet as far as i'm aware. However I believe during his early years there was a few instances when people see him eating a lot and comment on it. So it is perfectly possible he does eat more than a regular person. I'm pretty sure his physique is always kept the same due to his metabolism (kinda like Captain America).

This. Nice post

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@SpidermanWins said:

@Strider92 said:

This. Nice post

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Strider92 said:

This.

Avatar image for cannotspellmyname
    CannotSpellMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CannotSpellMyName

@KainScion said:

@CannotSpellMyName: A). i dont think he should leap over skyscrapers. several stories high is enough. hes not the hulk. he swings. its his thing. it would make his webshooters pointless and not very not very spider-like (i know spiders dont swing but still). hes not grasshopper man.

B). i think they explained that by saying muscles are not heavier but denser. thats why skinny guys like pete can lift 10 tons.

C). uumm shouldnt he have to have a strict diet to keep the physique? he doesnt have an accelerated metabolism. not flash. he eats like a regular guy but gets all the workout he needs through swinging around, villain battles.

hope i helped. a little.

A) Sure, it would take away a lot of the beauty of the character if he could jump over skyscrapers and I wouldn't want him to be able to, but he SHOULD be able to do it considering the raw physical strength he possesses so I'm wondering why he can't do it?

B) Doesn't denser mean that you also get heavier, as more mass is added to the muscle? For example, for Spiderman to be able to lift 10 tons, his muscles, bones and tendons would have to be extremely durable or they would crumble to gravel under the weight. And as far as I know, durable means hard means heavy. Or am I wrong?

C) Considering that Spiderman has a healing factor and can probably regenerate several pounds of flesh in mere hours, shouldn't he and all other superhumans with healing factors have to eat like horses to be able to sustain such a physique? Metabolism is useless without proper nourishment.

Sorry if I'm being too realistic, but I love to discuss superhero science, it makes the characters 10 times more interesting if their powers can be explained.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pyrogram

@CannotSpellMyName said:

@KainScion said:

hope i helped. a little.

A) Sure, it would take away a lot of the beauty of the character if he could jump over skyscrapers and I wouldn't want him to be able to, but he SHOULD be able to do it considering the raw physical strength he possesses so I'm wondering why he can't do it?

B) Doesn't denser mean that you also get heavier, as more mass is added to the muscle? For example, for Spiderman to be able to lift 10 tons, his muscles, bones and tendons would have to be extremely durable or they would crumble to gravel under the weight. And as far as I know, durable means hard means heavy. Or am I wrong?

C) Considering that Spiderman has a healing factor and can probably regenerate several pounds of flesh in mere hours, shouldn't he and all other superhumans with healing factors have to eat like horses to be able to sustain such a physique? Metabolism is useless without proper nourishment.

Sorry if I'm being too realistic, but I love to discuss superhero science, it makes the characters 10 times more interesting if their powers can be explained.

100%

In the movie for example peter did start eating a shed loads, also denser means more mass in a certain area, so I guess he should weigh more. I did not know his heeling faction was that good to be able to heal that much.

spiderman1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spiderman1976

1. i always thought it was more about gravity than his strength limits: gravity is a negative accelerating force, meaning progressively more power is needed the higher u go. so, say he is 100x stronger than a guy of the same mass who can vertical jump 2ft. u wouldnt just multiply 2ft by 100, equaling 200 ft vertical. the higher one could go, the power needed to travel that distance vertically would increase geometrically. ergo, spidey having a 50-60ft vertical with about a 250ft long jump IS in line with being 100x stronger than a man.

2. the mechanics of his muscles on a cellular level work different than ours. in humans, several factors come into play with strength/power(which would take too long to get into). but, all things being equal, stronger muscles, yes, are usually heavier muscles. this is because bigger heavier muscles are so because they have more WATER in thier cells, making them heavier. spideys muscles, instead, may take on different molecular structures, making them much stronger, but only adding 5-10 lbs of actual wait. no added water comes into the mix.

3. i would think he should be eating more. his metabolism IS faster than human. its been stated many times.

BUT, MY question FOREEVER has been, with super dense muscles, and the shell like properties of spider exoskeletons, WHY isnt spidey semi bullet proof!??! at least to small caliber bullets???

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@spiderman1976: He could be semi-bulletproof or indicate some resistance to bullets whatsoever, but where the fun would be? We'd miss the agility part, I think, nevertheless, you're absolutely right. They could show him in such a way. He'd be, don't know, superior? :p

wanonalake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wanonalake
    Spiderman1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spiderman1018

A) that makes sense. Some spiders can lift 2-120 times there weight. The spider he got bit by could lift that much, plus it was a "super spider" because it was exposed to radiation twice. If he is as strong as they say, than he should be able to jump about 1600 feet in the air, from my perception. B) No they're just harder. When I flex my muscles, it stays the same weight. C) Yes I'm pretty sure because he has an excelerated motabilisom. This is the reason why he has more drug and alcohol tolerance

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man can actually lift 20tons now, I believe. So A,B, and C would all be increased.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Denser = heavier. Any superhuman should hold much more mass in their muscles than normal people, and therefore weigh more.

loplopool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cannotspellmyname: spiderman is not a ten tonner it may be stated but from what ice seen and it's not PiS or CiS as it happens a lot I've seen him throw tanks with ease hold giant bits of rubles with ease I think he can exert himself to about 80 tons

NICK31898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loplopool: Haha, no, Spider-man IS a 10 tonner. But under stress he has show to lift up to 20-25 tons. The weight of a tank.

Giant bits of rubble may not weigh that much.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember early on, Mr. Fantastic theorized that Spider-Man's powers (Agility, sticky, and strength) were a form of psionic Gravity Manipulation (based primarily on his hands and feet.) I don't remember where I saw it though, and it was really really early into the character's existence.

Oddly enough, I think this would explain some of his high showings better than just adrenaline/

EphVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I signed up just so I could weigh in on this. XD

B) My theory would be carbon nano-fibers. Very light, extremely strong and durable. If a human body could adapt and change to make these, then they'd be capable of great feats of strength and resilience. The only issue, then, is how the bones have gotten stronger, too.

Also, Spidey IS more durable than normal, so while bullets still hurt him, they do less than, say, if a normal human got shot. But it's been stated that Spidey has to roll with punches from norms to prevent breaking their wrists when they try to hit him--he's apparently done this to someone who hit him in the stomach. His muscles can tense so hard that it's more force than a norm can withstand.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your kinda right in a way. Technically Peter should be able to jump 50x his body length from a standing position (just like a real spider) which at his size would be as long as 300 ft and possibly more if he got into a running start.

CoreyBirch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CoreyBirch

Most people here are, mostly, half right. Because of the nature of deceleration when vertical leaping and gravity is concerned, it can get a little confusing. But here it is:

Spider-man should be able to jump higher than 3 stories. In order for you to leap upward you need to overcome the force of gravity as it applies to your personal weight. If you weigh 200 lbs then ANY vertical gain achieved must be greater than your 1G base, which is 200 lbs of force. It takes a LOT of Gs to jump. If you just jumped, no matter your weight, it cost you about 0.175 Gs for every single vertical inch you traveled. To get a 24 inch vertical leap, no matter your actual weight, you need to jump with just over 4 Gs of force. (4 times whatever your weight is) For me, that's about my max vertical jump, which comes to about 546lbs of force. That does NOT mean I can leg press that weight. I'd be lucky to press a third of that. If spider-mans maximum leg press is 20,000lbs, the maximum Gs/force he could output should be several times higher. The average leg press is around twice your body weight. 2Gs. As you recall it takes 4 Gs for anyone to leap 24 inches but that doesn't mean everyone who can leap 24 inches can also leg press 4 times their weight. Since Peter Parker weighs 167 lbs, if he was normal his leg press should be about 334 lbs. If his leg press is actually 20,000lbs, his maximum jumping output should be at least double that leg press, enabling him to leap with 40,000lbs of force, or a massive 239.5 Gs (almost 240 times his body weight) Now if you know the math, about every 0.175 Gs gets you an inch off the ground. 239.5 Gs, no matter your weight, will launch you 114 feet in the air before you loose velocity and fall back down. So, not skyscraper leaping, but more than triple what Marvel estimates. The other thing to consider is that some record-holding conditioned athletes, rather than your average Joe who can only put 4Gs into a leap, put in more than 6. (The current vertical leap record is 46 inches and would require around 8Gs) So when I estimated the difference between Parker's weight and leg press I was not factoring the whole athletic conditioning thing.

BUT, If you wanted to just forget the entire "maximum leap force is much greater than maximum leg press force" thing...if you wanted to say "look dude, he can leap with 10 tons/20,000 lbs of force, period" then you still end up with higher numbers than marvel's official "3 stories." 20,000 lbs for Peter is just under 120 Gs. That would get him 57 feet high. So...there you go.

Want some fun math, calculate the height he could DROP from, and land on his feet without it being too much for his legs to handle.

Avatar image for common_sense_is_now_logic
    common_sense_is_now_logic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the web-slinging but technically him jumping everywhere would ADD to his "spiderness". Ever heard of a Jumping Spider? So if he were to have the proportionate jumping abilities of a jumping spider he should be able to jump approximately 583 feet in distance or 145 feet high.

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ephvenom said:

B) My theory would be carbon nano-fibers. Very light, extremely strong and durable. If a human body could adapt and change to make these, then they'd be capable of great feats of strength and resilience. The only issue, then, is how the bones have gotten stronger, too.

Also, Spidey IS more durable than normal, so while bullets still hurt him, they do less than, say, if a normal human got shot. But it's been stated that Spidey has to roll with punches from norms to prevent breaking their wrists when they try to hit him--he's apparently done this to someone who hit him in the stomach. His muscles can tense so hard that it's more force than a norm can withstand.

Possible, especially that carbon is organic matter, so just a modification of molecular structure. Moreover Scorpion stated his body was as hard as concrete. Can a bullet pierce through a wall made of it?

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Looking at a lot of his recent (and consistent) strength feats, I'd place him in the ballpark of 50 tons, with ability to go close to 90 or 100 in times of extreme duress.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

40 Tons At Max 100 tons .

HollowMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HollowMode

Pete is a lot stronger than 10 tons.. Now , he's at "base" state 20-25. Under stress he can double it for a few moments probably.

KaewanG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaewanG

Spider-Man can actually lift only about 15-20 tons if he doesn't have "Others" powers if he has the "Others" powers he'd be able to lift I believe approximately about 20-30 tons?

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only during the time he had organic web shooters he had to keep an special diet (lots of fluids).

chuckwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaewang said:

Spider-Man can actually lift only about 15-20 tons if he doesn't have "Others" powers if he has the "Others" powers he'd be able to lift I believe approximately about 20-30 tons?

He's got feats where without "The Others" powers he still was capable of lifting a 40 ton train car over his head, supporting 75 tons of the Bugle, landing 50~60 tons of jet on his back etc. these days Spidey's in the 40 ton range minimum, more when pissed or with the right motivation.

Crazyspideyfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pete can lift 10 pounds without struggle.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol at all these "1-post-wonders"! XD

kurthoff90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chuckwolf: I'll use the second movie as a example of peters sheer power that must be in the 100s if not 1000s of tons of force because when he successfully stopped that runaway train that was constantly speeding up... So not only did he show hulk like strength he also didn't tear apart like a rag doll either so he is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel/DC universe and with the venom symbiote which I believe increases his strength 10x he is just about if not on a god level. Sorry for the late reply.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is unrealistically powerful like Superman without science behind it explaining the shit he does, Like when he punched Thanos and made him stagger back even with the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm glad writers like JMS and Yost brought in magical concepts for his powers like the mystic web of life and such.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Marvel's database:

Spider-Man - can lift 20 tons (Original and now current strength level due to reality being altered during the events of "One More Day")

From Wikipedia:

When Peter Parker was bitten by an irradiated spider, radioactive mutagenicenzymes in the spider's venom quickly caused numerous body-wide changes. Immediately after the bite, he was granted his original powers: primarily superhuman strength, reflexes, and balance; the ability to cling tenaciously to most surfaces; and a subconscious precognitive sense of danger, which he called a "spider-sense".

Several biologists on the History Channel's Spider-Man Tech special stated the effect of a radioactive spider bite (if any) would not be nearly enough to cause a mutation in a human body. However, they said the use of "genetically engineered" spiders from the live-action movie and the Ultimate continuity was more plausible. Instead of radioactive venom, the bite would have to carry a powerful retro virus (similar to HIV) that would spread through the body by taking over neighboring cells and actually becoming ingrained in the person's DNA. They illustrated this by showing the results of an experiment where glow genes from deep sea Jelly fish were introduced into the embryos of lab mice. The resulting mice were born with the glow gene as a part of their own DNA and glowed light green whenever an ultraviolet light was shone on them.

Spider-Man's overall metabolic efficiency has been greatly increased, and the composition of his skeleton, connective tissues, muscles, and nervous system have all been enhanced.

Spider-Man is capable of healing injuries faster and more extensively than ordinary humans, including injuries as severe as broken bones within a matter of hours.

Spider-Man's agility and reflexes are far superior to those of an ordinary human, even those that represent the peak of human conditioning such as Captain America. The speed of his reflexes combined with his spider-sense allows him to dodge almost any attack, even gunfire at point blank Due to the events of "The Other", his reflexes are increased further, responding directly to his spider-sense and instinct that can result in him lashing out at negligible threats. Again, however, due to the alteration of reality during the "One More Day" story arc, his reflexes and agility reverted to their original levels.

musa56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider-man is a 20 tonner. but in the comics they show him stronger than 30 tons like more of 40 or 50 tons of strength. he lifted 100 tons of a building and has landed a 50-60 ton jet on his back. he has gone 1000's (thousands) of tonnes up in his maximum strength. he has lifted stuff more than a 1000 tonnes. he has gone 1000's of tonnes up.he had punched down a building and it was completely demolished. he has lifted a huge amount f rubble and has done some crazy as stuff. effortlessly he can lifted hulk,Thor,thing,namor and Hercules all in a single platform. to be honest i think spider-man strength level should be at 50 tonnes in my opinion. if spider-man is using his most strength and using his complete maximum, he will be in 1000's of tonnes and just enough strength to defeat characters stronger than him in a matter of minutes or even seconds. he can lift semi-trucks with ease. he can lift cars,vans, limousines,trucks and those type of vehicles effortlessly. he could spin a wrecking ball with ease. he has even defeated the unstoppable juggernaut many times. man spider-man is awesome

spiderman1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coreybirch: hey! I agree with most of what your saying(though Gs are not straight mass, but have a reference of surface area, also...14 lbs/cubic inch). that being said I'll give my simplified take on how far spidey could fall and survive...

the typical speed of a parachute descent is 25mph. typically one "flares" at the end to slow it down, but in most cases one can survive with a sprained ankle if they don't. those same individuals say sprint at 20 mph(low ball). so, they can take an impact feet first at 25% more than the rate that they can generate force/speed(with their legs). extrapolating the same proportions(ignoring running drag, that's another topic) Spidey should be able to take falls at about 25% over the speed he can run, which is at least 100 mph. SO, he can take falls from over 120-130 mph...that's terminal velocity for a falling body! spidey could then fall out of a plane a 10,000 feet up, and just lay flat in the descent, and land in a deep knee bend!...it would feel like the equivalent of you or i falling from a five feet structure. its gonna hurt at first, but if aint gonna kill ya...!

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderman1976: And according to his speed feats, he is possibly much faster than that, so he could withstand a shock at speed faster than the terminal velocity.

Komics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly i cant answer question one but the reason he isnt super heavy is he has the porportional strength of a spider and spiders are tiny and can lift like 1 pound which is alot for their size and wait and he only has to eat a regular amount

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel: Are you for real? you're going to go and dig up almost year old, dead threads and post this there?

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Axolyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man at full power is said to be capable of lifting 70 tons, but there have been occasions where he has lifted more than that. Depends on the writer and the reality.

coolerdbz50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think spiderman's base strength is 10 tons but his actual strength is probably like 50-60 tons. in cannon comics he has been shown lifting super heavy objects that exceed 10 tons like trains and a battle tank i think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.