Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

10 Things We Learned About the New Spider-Man From Civil War

• 88 results
    magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great rendition of Spider-Man. Only a couple things I didn't like: 1. Aunt Mat imo should not be that young/attractive. The actress that played Aunt May in Raimis Spider-Man was perfect. 2. I did not like Tony knowing about Peter Parker being Spider-Man. It is way to early for that. Iron Man could have met Spidey in costume for a similar conversation to join his team. Not in his apartment flirting with Aunt May.

@skyleat said:
    @webheadcomics said:

Great rendition of Spider-Man. Only a couple things I didn't like: 1. Aunt Mat imo should not be that young/attractive. The actress that played Aunt May in Raimis Spider-Man was perfect. 2. I did not like Tony knowing about Peter Parker being Spider-Man. It is way to early for that. Iron Man could have met Spidey in costume for a similar conversation to join his team. Not in his apartment flirting with Aunt May.

Yeah I had the same issues during the movie.

• The actress that played Aunt May in Raimis Spider-Man was perfect.

I agree. Rosemary Harris absolutely gave the best portrayal of the mainstream 616 Aunt May Parker.

• Not in his apartment flirting with Aunt May.

Could be a bit of an in joke. Marisa Tomei & RDJ starred in a romantic comedy back in 1994 called "Only You"

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Absolutely loved Spidey in this movie. Might take some getting used to for his Peter Parker (I'm seeing the movie again in the morning), but his Spider-Man was perfect. Much better than Garfield who really seemed try-hard in the role and never really had a natural feel to his lines.

I don't care about Aunt May being attractive as long as the character isn't playing it up, which Marisa Tomei wasn't. If you can't look past her physical appeal and see that she was being warm and caring to Peter (which is just about the only definitive traits Aunt May has), then that's kind of your issue as a viewer. Tony playing it up could get old if it goes on, but as long as she herself isn't trying to stand out due to her youth, I don't see the problem.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was okay.

KellyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be 100% honest here.

Spidey was great in the first scene we saw him in with Aunt May and Tony, but in the airport fight scene he was just too damn annoying.

And that's the point. Spiderman is always annoying in battles. It's part of his deal and called a 'distraction'.

KellyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman has had organic web shooters in the comic books. Not a new concept to those who have read the comic books around the "Disassembled" and "The Other" story arcs. That said, I like the mechanical version better only because it allows more versatility in web properties. Better yet, it allows for the possibility of various web properties that we've seen in the comic books. With Stark making his suit (thankfully it wasn't Iron Spider) and upgrading Peter's web shooters, there's the possibility that Stark will let Peter into the lab and he will create web fluid with other functions (different resistances like fire, electricity, etc., other properties like acid webbing).

Saint_Diego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webheadcomics: Tony Stark is a tech genius. Peter posted videos online. If Tony is not an active member of the Avengers anymore he probably spent time searching for new members for the team and it wouldn't be hard for him to pull the IP address and track Peter down. In the comics Stark figured out a lot of super hero identities, whether he told them he did or not, so this is in line with the comics in my opinion.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my Spider-Man. I never liked the previous attempts, so feel spoiled character can have multiple incarnations where one finally aligns with how I imagined him.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

doesn't sound too different from Garfield's Spidey

ObiWanKevobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotta say. I was very happy with this Spider-Man. I like to think that Tobey was a good Peter Parker, and Garfield was a good Spider-Man. But Holland seemed to do great as Pete and as Spidey. Super stoked for the Spidey film next year.

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotta say. I was very happy with this Spider-Man. I like to think that Tobey was a good Peter Parker, and Garfield was a good Spider-Man. But Holland seemed to do great as Pete and as Spidey. Super stoked for the Spidey film next year.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Tobey had a kind of nerdy look so I thought he was a good Peter Parker but he has a flat delivery of lines so his quips and jokes as Spider-Man wasn't a home run with me.

By contrast, Garfield was too tall and his Peter Parker was a skate-boarder who gave off more of a outsider/bad-boy vibe than a nerdy science guy so I thought his Peter Parker was off. But as Spider-Man, he was better at the quips and jokes.

IMO, Tom Holland is perfect as both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. He nailed it. And I like the younger Peter Parker because that's the Peter Parker I remember from the Stan Lee and Johnny Romita days. He was in high school if I remember correctly.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

• He can be bribed and follows orders without question.
    Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't know why people are complaining about aunt may. she is actually the age his aunt should have really been anyway. aunt may wasn't his GRANDaunt. she was supposed to be his real aunt. uncle ben and aunt may are way too old to be peter's real aunt and uncle. also, there is no way they would be able to keep the same actress in multiple roles if she was cast as an older person. these movies come out about 2 or 3 years apart.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved the fact that they gave peter a nyc accent. he never had one in any of the comics. pete is a new yorker. this is the first time in any incarnation that he has actually sounded like one. they did a great job.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Better than Maguire....not that that is saying much.

The character stuck out like a sore thumb. He was so obviously forced in at the last second. The apartment scene had no flow with the rest of the movie

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the toilette, when Stark appeared in the apartmant. Came back, when they were in Peters room. Got no idea, how May looks like. Is she really this hot?

Google is your friend

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mondo625: i never, ever want to see an iron spider suit

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By silent_bomber

Garbage Spider-Man is garbage

@black_wreath said:

I learned Tom Holland is insufferable when trying to do funny...

^This

I don't think I could deal with an hour an a half of this, just his short part in Civil War was bad enough.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your first point makes no sense. Peter is 15, Aunt May is probably in her late 40s, early fifties. The age scale makes sense for an aunt. She shouldn't be "old" until Pete is an actual adult. This is the same age scaling they had in ASM 1 & 2 and it fits better than having a grandmother aged woman be an aunt. The age gulf between sibling children isn't that drastic anymore, and it was probably very rare occasions when it was that drastic.

You really think some super genius superhero billionaire who was supposed to be retired--which means he likely had periods of free time--wouldn't see on the news that there was some new super in town and wouldn't bother trying to piece together who he is and end up figuring it out? The way they did it in the movie is way better than your idea.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

doesn't sound too different from Garfield's Spidey

Not much different, just way better written.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By silent_bomber

"Golly gee willikers Mr Iron Man, you so awesome! when I grow up and go through puberty I wanna be just like you!"

Slurp, sluurp, sluuuuuuuuuuurrrp.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webheadcomics said:

Your first point makes no sense. Peter is 15, Aunt May is probably in her late 40s, early fifties. The age scale makes sense for an aunt. She shouldn't be "old" until Pete is an actual adult. This is the same age scaling they had in ASM 1 & 2 and it fits better than having a grandmother aged woman be an aunt. The age gulf between sibling children isn't that drastic anymore, and it was probably very rare occasions when it was that drastic.

You really think some super genius superhero billionaire who was supposed to be retired--which means he likely had periods of free time--wouldn't see on the news that there was some new super in town and wouldn't bother trying to piece together who he is and end up figuring it out? The way they did it in the movie is way better than your idea.

Y
    Y

I respect your opinion but I fully disagree with it. This image I posted is from Amazing Fantasy 15. First app of May and Peter. Anyone can tell that she is depicted in the comics even from the very beginning as being an old lady. Peter even states that "if only she was younger..." She has always looked old. I am not saying her age is not 45 but looks can be deceiving. So an attractive actress like Marisa Tomei is a poor chocie for an "Aunt May" character.

Second I fully agree that Tony has the money/ capability of finding out Spider-Man's Identity. But in the comics I have never heard or read him either trying to or actually uncovering his identity. This is not Batman either we are talking about. Tony is not a Super Detective. Also in the comics no one knows Peter's Identity for many issues.And those who learn/find out are usually loved ones. I feel as though it is way to early for anyone to know his identity as it goes against the comic characters history

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webheadcomics: Tony Stark is a tech genius. Peter posted videos online. If Tony is not an active member of the Avengers anymore he probably spent time searching for new members for the team and it wouldn't be hard for him to pull the IP address and track Peter down. In the comics Stark figured out a lot of super hero identities, whether he told them he did or not, so this is in line with the comics in my opinion.

Read above post ^

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Garbage Spider-Man is garbage

@black_wreath said:

I learned Tom Holland is insufferable when trying to do funny...

^This

I don't think I could deal with an hour an a half of this, just his short part in Civil War was bad enough.

Oh my Grodd...

Someone online who agrees with me!

:O

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tony and Aunt May gonna bang

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avatar_of_green:

Just like yours. Instead of telling me, you came across with this bullshit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@goellterator: Would have wasted less of both of our lives if you would just Google "who played Aunt May in Civil War?" Then click images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+played+aunt+may+in+civil+war

No Caption Provided

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#80 wildvine  Moderator
    Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He acts just like ultimate cartoon spiderman without the buller 4 wall breaks, how is this an improvement.

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wassup with you guys? some of you act like you have never read a spiderman comic before. he talks all the time when he fights. he does it in the comics. i don't get you guys. he still does it in the comics even as a grown man. this guy was spiderman. he was great. i don't know what you guys want. you complain when he doesn't make jokes and complain when he jokes just like he does in the comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now the MCU Spider-Man looks to be doing a good job of blending the 616 and Ultimate versions of the character while introducing some new concepts such as May and Peter living in an apartment.

On the Marisa Tomei argument and her being "too hot" or "too young" to be Aunt May....I'm surprised nobody just went to IMDB and got her age. She's 52. Peter is 15. So Peter was born when she was 37. In the comics May is the older sister of Peter's mother, Mary. So depending on the age gap they give the sisters its reasonable to assume that Mary was anywhere from early 20's to early 30's at the time Peter was born. None of that is exactly drastic and doesn't take away anything from Aunt May as a character aside from bringing in some humor about her looks.

Plus I figure in flashbacks during Spider-Man: Homecoming we'll see Uncle Ben and his appearance will be closer to the Ultimate version of the character (maybe not with the ponytail) so Ben and May being younger makes sense in that context.

A lot of this discussion brings me back to the hate generated by Johnathan and Martha Kent being played by such "young" actors in the Smallville series but, for my money, John Schneider and Annette O'Toole were, hands down, the consistently best part of that show and their direct involvement in events made it far more enjoyable in those first seasons than just have Clark and his scoobie gang running around. So a younger Aunt May could breathe some new life into the character on 7th appearance we've gotten in less than 2 decades.

But what I really wanted to comment on was the suit....which IMHO was great.....but shouldn't have been seen yet. It was a smart decision by the writers to showcase Spider-Man as someone far more in-line with Captain America's thinking than Iron Man's, as that is a huge aspect of the comics in that Peter idolizes Steve whereas he respects Tony. So the fact that the MCU Peter gives us basically the exact same reason for being a hero as Steve did earlier in the film is a key point going forward. Where the film should have deviated a bit, however, was not in giving Spider-Man his traditional colors right from the start but instead have his make-shift costume be all black or something (give it kind of a Noir look just to get an easter egg in) and his first "superhero suit" be near identical in design to the Iron Spider suit from the Civil War era of the comics. Didn't need to be any more tech based than the suit we got in the film and the wallops didn't need to be a part of it. Just the fact that, honestly, Tony would give him something more in his style.

The airport fight than is where the traditional look for the suit comes back into play based on the interaction between Steve and Peter during the battle and the respect Steve shows Peter (which, for me was the best part of that whole scene as it reminded me a lot of the alley fight scene between Steve and Peter in the comics) the absence of Captain America at the end of the film inspires Peter to change the look of his suit to reflect Steve's to a greater degree. It would also be a much cooler reason why his logo would be circular, as again Peter would base it on Steve's shield more than just a easter egg nod to older Spider-Man comics. The secondary purpose of all this would also be to keep Peter's innovations in Peter's hands vice Tony giving him all new stuff. We only got to briefly glimpse Peter's genius in the film with the introduction of his webshooters before Tony gives him a whole new set of cool stuff.....I'd rather see Peter making his own modifications/improvements going forward than just taking what Tony gave him. However, we could see a lot more of that in the solo film depending on the villain.

The fact its called Homecoming is an interesting choice given how many ways that theme could be played than just the fact Spider-Man is finally in the MCU. Clearly Peter isn't returning from Europe in the film as he's already back mid-credits. So the 3 possibilities I can see are; 1) the Peter Parker aspects of the film are based on him going to Homecoming and who he'll bring with the big final battle taking place during it, 2) MCU is going to try another version of Harry Osborn's return from years away at boarding school or something like ASM2 did but, hopefully, not turn him into a villain right off the bat, 3) the villain of the film is the one returning to New York City and maybe is connected to one of Peter's classmates. My money is more on the first if its going to be anything other than a nod toward franchise rights.

Oh, and a question for the group........so Tony convinced May to have Peter come with him because Peter had been accepted to a program under Tony's big MIT grant thing. Do you think that will carry over to Spider-Man: Homecoming? Wouldn't May question why Peter is still going to the same high school after Civil War if he got a grant to MIT or some other college. Could this be a way to push teenage Peter Parker to Empire State and have him room with Harry Osborn with more of the supporting cast being teenage prodigy's like him attending Empire State as well? Sort of a Real Genius-vibe to the next film (if you don't get the reference you likely didn't grow up in the 80's but owe it to yourself to find a copy of the film) with the "homecoming" aspect being Peter trying to balance his new life with that of what he had in Queens with Aunt May and any friends from his old school? Putting him in Empire State could also drive a non-costumed relationship Peter could have with whatever character Michael Keaton ends up playing.....which is something ASM did correct with the Curt Conner's mentorship of Peter coming before the showdown between the Lizard and Spider-Man as that knowledge of who is usual rogues are outside the costumes is a great trademark of Spider-Man canon as compared, say, to Batman or Flash's rogues.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By christianrapper

@thanosismad said:
    @webheadcomics said:

Y
    Y

I respect your opinion but I fully disagree with it. This image I posted is from Amazing Fantasy 15. First app of May and Peter. Anyone can tell that she is depicted in the comics even from the very beginning as being an old lady. Peter even states that "if only she was younger..." She has always looked old. I am not saying her age is not 45 but looks can be deceiving. So an attractive actress like Marisa Tomei is a poor chocie for an "Aunt May" character.

Second I fully agree that Tony has the money/ capability of finding out Spider-Man's Identity. But in the comics I have never heard or read him either trying to or actually uncovering his identity. This is not Batman either we are talking about. Tony is not a Super Detective. Also in the comics no one knows Peter's Identity for many issues.And those who learn/find out are usually loved ones. I feel as though it is way to early for anyone to know his identity as it goes against the comic characters history

he aunt may character was done right in the movies. she was portrayed too old in the comics. she would have to be peter's great aunt for her to be as old as she was drawn...unless she spent too many hours at the beach in her youth. they didn't know too much about sunscreen in the 1960's.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Seems like I'm in the majority on this one. I love this version of Spider Man.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter was shameful in his fanboyism of heroes.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still like Garfield more.

You are loyal. I don't necessarily agree with you here, but I admire that you didn't jump the bandwagon (not to say that preferring Holland is jumping a bandwagon, but you seem genuine about preferring Garfield, not hipster).

Actually, you reminded me how good Garfield was in the role.

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Skyleat

To come back to his strength, I found that his car stop feat was pretty strong. I haven't found the model but according to its speed, I calculated that the force Spidey received was equal to the weight of an object weighting ~14 tons, so at least he is already a 10-tonner.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91  Edited By kcomicfan

In my opinion Tom Holland is the best big screen version of Spider-Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.