Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

10 Things We Learned About the New Spider-Man From Civil War

• 88 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With the release of Captain America: Civil War, we now have a new Spider-Man on the big screen. This Spider-Man exists in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which means he can freely interact with the likes of Iron Man, Captain America, and the rest of the big screen Avengers. Tom Holland will play the role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and the question is, how will his Spidey compare to previous cinematic Spideys Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire, and the comic version? Here's everything we know about the new wallcrawler based on his recent appearance.

Warning: Spoilers for Captain America: Civil War will be discussed below.

No Caption Provided

Tom Holland's version is fantastic. Whenever we see a comic character translated onto the big screen, changes are expected. Since there isn't time to give Spider-Man a proper origin in the middle of Civil War, a lot has to be established and his existence needs to fit into the Cinematic Universe. Marvel Studios successfully brought his character to life.

• This Peter Parker lives in Queens. In the comics, Peter grew up in Forest Hills, Queens.
    • Tony Stark knows Peter has powers. Stark hasn't been an active member of the Avengers so it makes sense he would have time and could keep an eye out if someone with special abilities popped up. With Stark's resources, he could easily track down the identity and location of a kid that's new to the world of heroes and secret identities.
    • Peter made his own webbing and web-shooters. Spider-Man has always been brilliant. The idea of natural webbing (as seen in the original Spider-Man trilogy) is a little gross. By having Peter create the formula for the webbing, he'll be able to continue making more and not have to rely on anyone.
    • Stark wants to give Spidey an upgrade. In Civil War, Peter had been fighting crime in a makeshift outfit. When he makes his debut before the big fight in the airport scene in Civil War, he has a fancy new suit with a new logo for the movies. He has a utility belt as well.
    No Caption Provided
    • Aunt May doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man. This is usually the case in the different incarnations we've had over the years in film and comics. Aunt May is very protective of Peter, and he says she'd "freak out" if she knew.
    • Peter has had his powers for about six months. There's no origin here. We'll likely see it in the 2017 Spider-Man: Homecoming movie. Peter says it's "a long story." Hopefully the story and retelling of his origin won't be too long in the next movie. Peter tells Tony he wants to help those in need.
    • Spider-Man is easily distracted. He's new to this world of superpowers. In the middle of the airport fight in Civil War, he can't help but be in awe of the heroes.
    • Spider-Man's strength is shown. This is something that often varies in comics. He has the "proportional strength of a spider" and maybe that's not clear enough for some writers. It was fantastic to see him do some heavy lifting and deliver some hefty blows.
    No Caption Provided
    • Spider-Man makes a lot of jokes and quips. In the comics, Spidey would make jokes to cover his nervousness and to annoy/distract his enemies. It looks like this Spidey does the exact same thing.
    • Spider-Man gets an upgraded web-shooter from Stark at the end of the film. This new web-shooter has the Spider-Signal, a device used in the early issues of the comics. The signal originally appeared on his belt, kept beneath his shirt.
    No Caption Provided

With the the newly designed web-shooter, we'll have to wait and see what else it does besides shoot webs and shine the signal. In the recent Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, Spider-Man has high-tech web-shooters designed by S.H.I.E.L.D. They look a little large but has cloaking technology so it doesn't appear to stick out so much.

No Caption Provided

This just might be the best live-action version of Spider-Man we've had. After watching Captain America: Civil War, you can't help but want more Spidey action. It's going to be a long wait until July 2017.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I still like Garfield more.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_stegman  Moderator
    DCequalsMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds promising

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

If this is our new Spidey (the tone of the character continues on to his films) then we're looking at the best one yet.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

also, he lives in an apartment. now, i know that sounds like a silly thing, but his house has always been a big part of the stories in ASM and even the ultimate books, so putting him in an apartment changes some things.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gmanfromheck: when I was younger, I thought the natural webbing in the Raimi version was comic-accurate. Then when I actually read some comics I realized they changed that for the movie. I guess natural webbing is a little gross...

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this kid killed it, still not a fan of how fake the suit looks, but his performance was dope

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@laabitres: I heard the suit was enhanced by cgi, so that's probably why it looks fake, idk exactly

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The character was good but the actor isn't.

NickInACage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Tom was fantastic. He even looks kinda like a younger version of Toby Maguire.

I don´t think that Homecoming is going to be his origin, then he´d have to spend the whole movie in that wonky-ass costume he had before. Ugh.

Also, just say "With great power must also come great responsibility". You´re just making it confusing

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@zombietag: this is a fair point. Wasn't there a whole subplot with the Vulture or something?

@the_stegman: Mondays aren't always bad, but lasagna is almost always good. As long as it's not that vegetable crap :p

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how Tony Stark made reference to the fact that Aunt May is attractive. As an older guy, you know you're getting old when you live in a world where Aunt May is attractive. I was surprised by how much time Spiderman was in the movie. I really liked this version -- it just felt so much like the Spiderman I grew up reading.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the 6 month thing was specifically to skip past the Origin.

Anyone have a handy timeline for the movies, so we know when that places it?

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If he's only been Spidey for 6 months, then when did Ant-Man occur? That movie came out in June of last year, and they made a reference to Spider-Man at the end.

Avatar image for captainomnitron
    CaptainOmnitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheat: Could have been about a month or so. I mean someone crawls walls, beats up bad guys, and wears a red and blue outfit? That's gonna catch some media attention pretty fast even if Peter's not acting out in the open that much.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice.

Biggest_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well if Spiderman has the proportiate strength of a spider in the comics he weight about 167, a spider can lift about 170 times it's own weight according to national geography, so at least spiderman should be able to lift about 14.19500 short tons minimum. Anyone knows Holland's weight?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheat: I think the last scene of the movie, where they reference Spiderman, takes place some time after the battle with YellowJacket. This could be a few weeks to a few months later.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Great performance by Tom Holland. Personally I really don't want to see a teenage Spider-Man but it doesn't matter the actor is amazing and I look forward to seeing more Spidey in Homecoming.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I learned Tom Holland is insufferable when trying to do funny...

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Spider-man without a doubt. Can't wait for his solo film.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

When Tony mentioned Peter's hot aunt, I was kind of hoping for Peter to mention how she is a recent widow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Spidey yet, hands down

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@theheat: The end scene that referenced Spider-Man had to have happened long after his battle with Yellow Jacket. Seeing as Falcon first mentioned during the movie.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By murderpool

I went to an 11:30 showing tonight, absolutely enjoyed every second of the film and unfortunately I may have ruined aunt may for the younglings when I exclaimed how &$$@ing hot she is.

Cause, ya know, she is. Sorry not sorry

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ma_rc_01

I love how they explained why his eyes move like that

mondo625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gmanfromheck Do you think the way "Homecoming" was used in Civil War is just coincidence or that there's more to it? With Tony helping Spidey with the Suit and RDJ already signed on for Homecoming do you think we will see the Iron Spider suit? Seem's a little over powered for Vulture as the rumored villain for the movie.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By w0nd

@mondo625: I think it was a coincidence. I also don't think the suit will be in it.

in 2016 you have to actively avoid spoilers, they totally would show off that suit or blab about it.

The last time I was actually surprised about something was Wolverines cameo in first class, which unified the past and present movies.

now there are like 18 trailers for movies and tv spots and its just shows off everything lol

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom was fantastic. He even looks kinda like a younger version of Toby Maguire.

I don´t think that Homecoming is going to be his origin, then he´d have to spend the whole movie in that wonky-ass costume he had before. Ugh.

Also, just say "With great power must also come great responsibility". You´re just making it confusing

It could just be a flashback, or a prelude. Needn't take up more than 10-15 minutes of what will probably be a two hour movie.

DrOdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator
    Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom Holland looked very natural as Peter, that kid did a great job.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was much more impressed with him that I thought I would be. My son was, also... :)

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheat said:

If he's only been Spidey for 6 months, then when did Ant-Man occur? That movie came out in June of last year, and they made a reference to Spider-Man at the end.

End of Ant Man they show the scene from civil war where they have Winter Solider Captured which is shown in the civil war movie after bucky goes crazy.

Also they show Falcon at the end of Ant Man recruiting Ant Man for what I assume is for Caps side which would place Ant man movie starting just before Civil War and the end of Ant Man happens by the end of Act 1 of Civil War. so the movie is happening just before/same time as civil war.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By webheadcomics

Great rendition of Spider-Man. Only a couple things I didn't like: 1. Aunt Mat imo should not be that young/attractive. The actress that played Aunt May in Raimis Spider-Man was perfect. 2. I did not like Tony knowing about Peter Parker being Spider-Man. It is way to early for that. Iron Man could have met Spidey in costume for a similar conversation to join his team. Not in his apartment flirting with Aunt May.

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great rendition of Spider-Man. Only a couple things I didn't like: 1. Aunt Mat imo should not be that young/attractive. The actress that played Aunt May in Raimis Spider-Man was perfect. 2. I did not like Tony knowing about Peter Parker being Spider-Man. It is way to early for that. Iron Man could have met Spidey in costume for a similar conversation to join his team. Not in his apartment flirting with Aunt May.

Yeah I had the same issues during the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
    deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article. This looks to be a promising start for what looks to be the best rendition of Spidey on-screen.

MakeUFam0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: i agree. Also I hate what they did to Aunt May

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he is at very least a 10-tonner in MCU now. I loved how he could sense the attacks coming but still wasn't tuned with his spider-sense perfectly

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

he was good. unfortunately i dont care for another spider-man film , we also do not need to see his origin again. they can use a cool cgi opening to show this while credits roll . if he doesnt get thrown out after his second movie and sticks to villains he fought as a hs kid(NOT venom)maybe.

if Marvel doesn't wanna rehash doc ock, goblin, or lizard; i would like to see chameleon (they could adapt the 90s spidey episode with S.HI.E.L.D.), Kraven, was early era and would be fun as well, was thinking the scorpion as he hasnt been seen on screen either.

fun and smart move would have a future mcu spidey film opening to spidey and his exploits stopping doc ock, goblin, etc and then shows them gathering as the sinister six and have the last half of the film fighting them , gauntlet style.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aunts come in all shapes and sizes, you haters!

#teamhotauntmay

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom Holland really hit it out of the park for me. Absolutely loved his Spider-Man and I can't wait to see more of him in 2017.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By donmeca2020

suit looked good, the action and fighting scenes with him were awesome. i however disliked immensely the fact that he was supposed to be a 16 or 17 year old kid...... maguire fit the image of a peter parker in his mid to late 20s, garfield looked more like the modern version of peter which was also good, but obviously both those versions of spidey in the movies had their problems. the worst thing was the kid's voice.... completely out of place.

Goellterator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the toilette, when Stark appeared in the apartmant. Came back, when they were in Peters room. Got no idea, how May looks like. Is she really this hot?

j2daimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The article left out how Peter subtlety references Uncle Ben while talking to Stark in his room. He says he is a hero b/c "when you have these powers, then you do nothing, and then the bad things happen...". Something like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.