Follow

Spider-Girl (Parker)

Character » Spider-Girl (Parker) appears in 482 issues.

The daughter of Peter Parker, the original Spider-Man, May "Mayday" Parker continues her father's legacy as the Spider-Woman of Earth-982 (MC2 Universe).

Has Marvel given Anya too many chances as Spider-Girl than May?

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Edited By Radread

Starting in a few weeks, Anya Corazon better known as the Marvel 616 Spider-Girl is getting her own tie in to the Spider-man event: Spider Island. The series is being written by previous series writer, Paul Tobin and it's very ironic as Anya's main series just ended after 8 issues this past week where she succeed in bringing her father's killers to justice but also gained back her spider powers and even organic webbing thanks to the experiments of the Jackal. Now, while it's pretty basic why Anya is going to be involved with the event and everything, it seems that Marvel is giving old Anya a lot more chances than they ever gave May Parker. Now, granted May had three series relaunches, was saved from cancellation a number of times but it seems that while the readers were there for May and wanted her series to continue. The fan following for Anya seems to be pretty basic.
      Ever since her original series: Heart of the Spider came to an end, there didn't seem to be an opportunity missed to keep Anya around as the 616 Spider-Girl. Being cased in Ms. Marvel, being involved in the Civil War, her becoming a member of the Young Allies and killing off Mattie Franklin to put Anya in front as the inheritor to both Spider-man and the Spider-woman legacy. It seems that there is more fingers in the pie to keep Anya around than May "May Day" Parker because she is supposed to be "our Spider-Girl" and not the MC2 one.
      There is nothing wrong with the character of Anya, in fact she is one of the most diverse and original super heroins to show up in a comic book near you in the last 10 years outside of Stargirl and Ikon but keep in mind, she keeps getting shot after shot of being in a Marvel Comic than other characters seem to be unless you are Hercules. The problem is, while Hercules has had his fair share of relaunches and stories, the books still sell marginally well while Anya's sales have never been truly stellar and in fact May Parker's titles and related titles have out sold all of Anya's series in the last 14 years except for Wild Thing. It seems that while readers call for May, Marvel answers with Anya and at this point in time, it seems that it's time to listen to the fans again and give May another decent year run and take a big chance like DC Comics is doing with their new 52 issue run.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

Sorry, I just don't agree.  Anya has been Spider-Girl for a year or two in publishing terms.  That's barely 5 minutes in continuity terms. 

This new limited series is purely a Spider-Island tie-in.  It is due to last 3 issues. 

I really can not see how Marvel has given Anya "more chances" in such a short space of time.  Yes, they currently favour her over May... but that is in itself only a matter of time (until they give in to fans' demands and reinstate May).  I know people don't like Anya as "Spider-Girl", but that's how it is for the time being.  Get used to it.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think Anya has gotten a lot of chances. The difference with May and Anya is that Anya really does not have much of a fanbase. But May has dedicated fans who really want her as Spider-girl. So, I think we should have May as Spider-girl instead of Anya right now.  

Great article 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @xerox_kitty said:

Sorry, I just don't agree.  Anya has been Spider-Girl for a year or two in publishing terms.  That's barely 5 minutes in continuity terms. 

This new limited series is purely a Spider-Island tie-in.  It is due to last 3 issues. 

I really can not see how Marvel has given Anya "more chances" in such a short space of time.  Yes, they currently favour her over May... but that is in itself only a matter of time (until they give in to fans' demands and reinstate May).  I know people don't like Anya as "Spider-Girl", but that's how it is for the time being.  Get used to it.

What Xerox said.Anya hasn't even been Spider-Girl that long.Most books with the name Spider-Girl on it has been May's book.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CATPANEXE

I don't think Marvel intentionally is shafting May in order to sell Anya which is what you seem to be directing, because I don't think Marvel would have stopped publishing May if there was something they could have done about it given she did bring in a profit and had a strong following. I believe there using the " Spider " pre-fix to try and sell Anya's character, much as their using the Arachna costume for that purpose, not in order to make the other character irrelevant.

astrid12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By astrid12

Anya was known as Arachna or something before Spider-Girl, as much as I love May, I want to give Anya a chance as Spider-Girl, she's a really cool character and frankly as others have mentioned, she's had one chance so far to be Spider-Girl, and that was the short-run series that got quickly cancelled. People ask why Marvel is throwing out event after event after event. Those sell. If you're not Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool, or something, your book will not survive, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye & Mockingbird, the Young Allies, and Spider-Girl have met a sadly fast demise...I fear that Moon Knight and X-23 will follow them soon...I sure hope that's not the case...

eter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By eter

I like more Anya than May And May is more popular beacuse she has been more tine as Spidergirl than Any, so I think that we should give Anya a little chance. Or if not both could be SPidergirl (hell, they are of differetn earths timelines or whatever, they coul be spidergirl at the same time)

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Radread

As said by me earlier, there is room for both of them. In fact with the support and sales of Captain America Corps. You would think that there would be more from Marvel, especially in the Disney own era to start using more MC2 aspect, especially with Spider-Girl.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Kairan1979

I liked May Parker more than Anya Corason. In fact, I think even Mattie Franklin (Spider-Woman III) is better than Anya Corason.

daedalus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By daedalus25

@Kairan1979: I'm a bit late in this thread, but I agree with both of these. I just never cared for Anya in the Spider-Family (though I understand Marvel wanting to put her in the spotlight for ethnic diversity). I enjoyed May, Mattie, and Julia (as Arachne), and the fact that all 3 had to be written off to focus on Anya kinda makes me a little bitter towards the character. Yeah, Julia is still around as Madame Web, but I definitely preferred her in the black costume instead of the role of Spider-Oracle. (I know how Barbara Gordon fans felt 20 years ago).

I'm sure Anya has lots of fans, and I am happy for them and don't want her taken away from them. I just wish it wasn't at the cost of 3 characters that I liked.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Spider-Girl starring May is one of Marvel's longest running female superhero comics.I don't get the premise of this thread.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Martian

I don't wanna be that guy, but didn't Anya's series just end?

dstorres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By dstorres

There is a vast difference between the two characters and why May "succeeds" vs Anya's "fails". Firstly, let me say I love both characters. The comparisons however are not fair.

May has the luxury of being a legacy character. She is Peter's daughter, has him, his cast, her cast & the rich history to fall back on.

Anya is an original character that has to make ties and create her own history. I have liked all of Anya's series and when they came to an end like where she landed in the interim.

I would gladly follow her in another book if it had the right creative time.

sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sky-pirate

I don't think Marvel's been shafting May and given Anya more chances. It's a simple question of Anya being part of mainstream, 616 (and can thus guest star in other books and take part in event like Grim Hunt and Spider-Island), continuity, while May's in another continuity (and can therefore not simply have guest spots in other, nor take part in events). The only way, May could show up in someone else's book, is by a multiverse crossover.

O-Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By O-Face

@daedalus25 said:

@Kairan1979: I'm a bit late in this thread, but I agree with both of these. I just never cared for Anya in the Spider-Family (though I understand Marvel wanting to put her in the spotlight for ethnic diversity). I enjoyed May, Mattie, and Julia (as Arachne), and the fact that all 3 had to be written off to focus on Anya kinda makes me a little bitter towards the character. Yeah, Julia is still around as Madame Web, but I definitely preferred her in the black costume instead of the role of Spider-Oracle. (I know how Barbara Gordon fans felt 20 years ago).

I'm sure Anya has lots of fans, and I am happy for them and don't want her taken away from them. I just wish it wasn't at the cost of 3 characters that I liked.

And now Anya is being stafted for Silk.

Karma.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.