Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The new Spawn's allegiance is torn between the forces of heaven and hell, respectively represented by the Redeemer and Clown.

THE GOOD

It's crazy to see how Whilce Portachio's art has evolved over the years and I really like the direction it's taken. Maybe it's the combination of his art, McFarlane's pencils and the production team's colors... but I was really struck by the unique style of the finished product. While it still delivered on all the goods of storytelling, layout, et cetera... it felt kind of unconventional. Almost like art from a hip magazine, especially when it came to how he rendered the faces. Clown and Violater looked absolutely menacing.

THE BAD

This issue was awfully talky for what I expect from Spawn. It felt like the whole thing could've been about half-an-issue and the dialogue could have been a lot tighter. It just seemed kind of... mundane for a book about a hellspawn. This was basically about people talking in an apartment and then monsters talking on a rooftop.

There was also an eye-brow raising scene where Spawn lands on Clown and there seems to be an explosion, but then there's no evidence of it happening on the next page. There's a similar odd jump when Redeemer's about to square off against the vampires, and the page just cut to him torn to shreds. Rather than being a cool transition, it just comes off as confusing.

THE VERDICT- 2.5/5

I think I respect this book more than I enjoy it. Credit must be given to McFarlane for his creator-owned title that's run for nearly 200 issues, straight now, and for that fact that he's always been involved in to, to some degree. However, aside from Portachio's art, this issue really wasn't that exciting. It actually felt kind of ho-hum.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By InnerVenom123

I just wanted to get it for the cover, but I flipped through and saw no action. HA! Take that Image, I win yet again! .... Haunt's pretty good though.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mattydeNero

Not only was it not exciting, but try reading after 4 MONTHS without a SPAWN issue released.  After the LAST huge delay I had to go back and read all of "Endgame" to figure out what the ef was going on.  And I guess I should've done it again once I saw Friday that #197 was finally being released. 

Yeah, too much b.s. dialogue.  How many times has Violator swerved a Spawn by now?  Old hat.
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NXH

I have always wanted to read some Spawn, but don't know where to start or what to check out.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By goldenkey

to much of the horror aspect for me. 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goldenkey
    @NXH said:
    "I have always wanted to read some Spawn, but don't know where to start or what to check out. "

it's not that great.  The trade #1  and up are only okay even if McFarlanes work was incredible when he used draw.  He can't right for shit
    Benzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Benzo

I'm gonna start reading spawn when it reaches 200# :P 
    I think that might be a good jumping on point..

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @goldenkey said:
    " to much of the horror aspect for me.  "
    It's a book starring characters from the bowels of hell. Of course there's going to be some horror. lol.
    Branagin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Branagin77

I think it affects the story when books come out so late....I just try and wait for a few to come out then read them back to back. I notice I enjoy the story better when reading back to back, it like emerging my self in that world.  I just wish todd would pencil and ink a run.. I guarantee that this book would boost in sales then!!!!
    Someone tell todd not to neglect the gift that's been given to him!!

senote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By senote

While I appreciate comic books are about both writing and art I have lost interest in Spawn since they ditched the nice clean colourful art in favour of this sketchbook nonsense. Obviously that's just a personal preference.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.