Follow

Songbird

Character » Songbird appears in 580 issues.

Songbird is a founding member of the original Thunderbolts. She was formerly known as the super villain Screaming Mimi.

Songbird hearding in a new direction?

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    No Caption Provided
    After the latest interview with Parker and his artist about the newest Thunderbolts iteration:
     http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25706
    I can't help but feel concerned about the direction the character might be heading.
    First thing, the design is a step down.  It just clashes with her personality that has never been very villainous or overly dark.
    Second, the artist says many things that sound like she's heading in the wrong direction:

"When I looked at the existing designs for these two women, it was hard to tell them apart, the hair was the same, the suit was almost the same, the way the walked was almost the same."
    Not really.
     "These two women are like fire and ice, light and dark. Moonstone is the Light, so I guess Songbird is the Dark."
    How is Moonstone Light? She tried to murder Songbird and was the right hand of Norman Osborn during Dark Reign!

"I just had the feeling that [Songbird] was more menacing, more brooding. I read the TPB where she had the big run in with Bullseye, and they seemed pretty evenly matched. That struck a chord, as if she's the female version Bullseye. Moonstone might stab you in the back, but Songbird would twist the blade."
    Songbird is the female version of Bullseye?  What comic did you (or didn't) read?!
     Although this is all what the artist says, and not the writer, I'm still very concerned.  Will this be the end of level-headed and sympathetic Songbird?  Can she recover if this version of her destroys her character?  Are they trying to make Moonstone look better by comparison?  Are we ever gonna see that strawberry hair again??!?!

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @Cafeterialoca:
    AAAW nooo !  

This guy doesn't know obviously anything of Songbird ! 

Moonstone is a B@tich of Emma Frost level, only that she fail at that and that she was badly written by Bendis. I don't see how she could be heroic again after all the nasty stuff she did in Dark Reign. 

And the art is cool, but this isn't Songbird...stink like a Dork age...hope her character survived the experience !

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @The Devil Tiger said:
    This guy doesn't know obviously anything of Songbird!
    And yet...he's the one who is designing her.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't like this.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

not out yet and the book has always been good to me, i will give it that.
    otherwise it seems they are either real unaware of these characters
    or something. even the stance on Crossbones and Juggernaut is pretty
    lame there. " bringing Juggernaut back to his hero self from Excaliber "?
    yeah, because that went over so well the first time.  they also said he
    will have scares on his face because he cant stop running into things with
    his head, and gets injured if he isnt wearing his helmet (what are they basing him on?
    X3)Crossbones kind of had  a hand in Steve Rogers demise, and Moonstone spent the 
    last time knowing Songbird torturing her and trying to kill her...now Moonstone is " the light " 
    and Songbird is " the dark " who is the psychotic of two?

saywhatnow?

dont care for the look either. i severely hope this doesnt come out like this, or at the very least
    there better be a big reason behind it, like maybe those are different characters pretending to be
    someone else, a reoccurring theme already in T-Bolts.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @Cafeterialoca: 

Alas yes... but it could be worse : This could be a writer that doesn't know anything about the charachter he is writing about !  

Ah hell ! With some luck, it will be like Storm : she will be a regular fashion victim !    
    Citizenv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Citizenv

http://www.parkerspace.com/2010/04/13/thundercage/

Jeff Parker's blog. Some Songbird fans already complained about that statement, and he replied it's only the artist impressions and will not influence the plots. Or I hope so.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By pixelized

Oh wow. wow wow. I don't too much care for Melissa but we all know she's nothing close to "dark." She really only needed a better dye job.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9  Edited By The_Martian

I don't like the short hair.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @pixelized said:
    "Oh wow. wow wow. I don't too much care for Melissa but we all know she's nothing close to "dark." She really only needed a better dye job. "

Agreed 

Now, I will admit that I have seen certain images of her where she does look butch, and I think it actually looked fitting.  But that haircut is a bit too Wolverine and the X-Men's Vertigo if you ask me.  Seriously, I hate it when people that don't know anything about hair try and give other characters an "edge" by giving them a hairstyle that looks like a power lesbian's uber butch mother. 
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @pixelized: As in, you think the pink and white hair was a bad look? 
    If that's what you think, then I strongly disagree.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Caligula

huge songbird fan, and i like the new design

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Baddamdog

What!?!?!?!?! This sounds like they're going to completely ruin her character, just because she held her own against bullseye doesnt mean shes evil!! I hope they dont make moonstone the good girl, she's mental....she's actually MENTAL! Yet Songbird embodies true redemption. This design sucks! Not happy!

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @Baddamdog: Be aware, this is what the ARTIST says, not Parker.   Parker seems to have a grasp of the character, especially when he says she was never evil to begin with.
    And to make Moonstone the good girl, after everything she did after coming out of the coma, would be outright stupid.
    I have faith in Parker.  The only thing I would not like to see happen is Songbird looking foolish so that Luke Cage can be shown as the better leader.
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Baddamdog
    @Cafeterialoca said:
    " @Baddamdog: Be aware, this is what the ARTIST says, not Parker.   Parker seems to have a grasp of the character, especially when he says she was never evil to begin with. And to make Moonstone the good girl, after everything she did after coming out of the coma, would be outright stupid. I have faith in Parker.  The only thing I would not like to see happen is Songbird looking foolish so that Luke Cage can be shown as the better leader. "
    But I liked her the way she was before : (
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    Citizenv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Citizenv
    @Cafeterialoca:  If that thing in the spoiler tag happens, I'll drop all my Marvel books.
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @Citizenv: I sadly seem that as a possibility, seeing how she's a minor character in her own book now...
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blindside002

If they screw up Songbird that bad I will drop anything that has to do with her, I haven't really read to much of the recent stuff but I have read the early Thunderbolt stuff and all that I can't imagine her being Dark while Moonstone is Light, if anything it seemed like Songbird always wanted to be good. Plus I hate that short haired look, I hope they don't go through with that.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By DMC

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY SONGBIRD!!!!

Songbird is one of my FAVORITE characters Marvel is ruining her!!! Why must she be forever tied to the Thunderbolts? She's not even a villain for God sake. She's long overdue for new direction, a new team. SHE SHOULD BE AN AVENGER, either "New" or "Secret" (preferably Secret since I'm reading it)  

But if she must remain a Thunderbolt, why not have her lead? She's the one who's always believed in the program, she's the one who was against Osborn and fought back. It would be a step in the right direction and would work PERFECTLY with this "Age of Heroes" theme.  

But instead we get this crap!?!?!

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Green Skin

WTF?  WHy does she look like Mankiller now? She should really be an Avenger. It worked well in Avengers Infinity.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @Green Skin: You mean Avengers Forever.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Magian

Obviously he only read like two issues or he read wrong characters cause Moonstone is nowhere near light and you can't say that Songbird is dark.Plus the redesign is lame and Songbird being the female Bullseye?Come on!
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Green Skin
    @Cafeterialoca said:
    " @Green Skin: You mean Avengers Forever. "
    Yes! Thank you. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.