Follow

Soldier Zero

Character » Soldier Zero appears in 22 issues.

Half Human. Half Alien. All Hero... Wheelchair user and astronomy TA, Stuart Trautmann, was bonded with a high-tech alien parasite after it crashed on Earth, both needing the other to survive. The two, forming a symbiotic relationship, must now survive being thrust into the centre of an extraterrestrial conflict.

Early Review: Soldier Zero from Stan Lee, Paul Cornell & BOOM!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    Stan Lee has joined forces with BOOM! Studios. The first title to hit the stands is Soldier Zero by Paul Cornell and Javier Pina. What can we expect with this new hero? Will this be something "new" or just another superhero? 

The Good 

It's not often we see characters that are bound to using wheelchairs. I have to admit that when I first heard that the main character, Stuart Trautmann would be in one, I wondered if it was going to be too cliché. It turns out it's not. Leave it to Paul Cornell to write a character having to deal with awkward responses from other people around. 

As an introductory issue, we find out about the major players and see the origin of "Soldier Zero." While there isn't a huge amount of action, it all is executed nicely as the story pulls you in. You know how the "origin" will most likely end but taking the trip is a fun ride. We aren't given all the answers or background on Soldier Zero. We're given just enough to move the story forward and give you a reason to come back for issue #2. 

The character designs are nice and Javier Pina does a good job creating different looks for everyone. The style clearly fits in with the rest of the BOOM! titles, even if this is set in a different 'universe.' 

The Bad 

There might've been a moment or too where the dialouge felt a tiny bit cheesy. Also while the character designs and scenes in space were cool, sometimes the backgrounds felt a little lacking when Trautmann was talking to friends or family. 

The Verdict - 4/5 

I am hooked. If you've read and enjoyed other BOOM! titles like Irredeemable or Incorruptible, you should definitely enjoy this. This series doesn't have that hard edge that those books have but there are parts of the tone that make it feel like something you'd expect and want from BOOM! It's always great being able to read a good comic book story from the first issue. We may not have the full history of the alien Soldier Zero but we also don't have to worry about decades of continuity. This series definitely has potential and it's great seeing a lead character that has to deal with being in a wheel chair as well as how others treat and look at him. Be sure to pick up this book when it is released to treat yourself to something new.    
    Avatar image for comicbikerscott
    comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By comicbikerscott

i love it
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

I want to check this one out.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @johnny spam: In stores next week. October 20.
    ChrisTobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ChrisTobin
    @G-Man: You mentioned it's in a separate universe from other boom titles, does that include the other characters Stan Lee made for BOOM!?
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @Robo_Gorilla: I just assume this isn't in the Irredeemable universe. There hasn't been any mention of whether or not these new characters will be tied together. I'll tell ya what, since I'll be at LONG BEACH COMIC-CON at the end of the month, I'll get the official word on camera.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Sweet would love to check this out. Love irredeemable, and incorruptible has been great so far also.

@G-Man said:

" @Robo_Gorilla: I just assume this isn't in the Irredeemable universe. There hasn't been any mention of whether or not these new characters will be tied together. I'll tell ya what, since I'll be at LONG BEACH COMIC-CON at the end of the month, I'll get the official word on camera. "

great! I was wondering the same thing. I think it would be awesome if they were in the same universe. I'd like to see a new "universe" of charters form, apart from the major two.
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ckal
    @G-Man:  Nice review, glad to hear this book is good. I hope the other two new titles will be as well.

I'd really like to see Stan Lee develop/help develop a new comic universe. It would be cool to see all of the existing and new BOOM! characters come together and live in the same universe. MU and DCU are so vast and have extensive amounts of characters and history, I'd like to see a new one start up that is interesting and fresh.

Yeah, please get his answer to that on camera if possible.
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GT-Man

Nice review his costume is awesome just not original
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DH69

sorry looks count for alot in my books, and i can get past his legs.

ChipBOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ChipBOOM
    @ckal: The Stan/BOOM! books all live in the same universe. It's not something that we are outwardly promoting, as we don't want to turn people off at this early stage thinking they will need to buy all the books to figure out the story, which is not the intent of having them in the same universe. 

Best, 
    Chip 
    BOOM!
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11  Edited By ImperiousRix

Looks actually cool.  I don't read the other BOOM! books, but since this one's starting up, I might have to check it out. 
    The character design of Soldier Zero itself is pretty slick.  Like some have said, not necessarily original, but cool nonetheless.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @GT-Man said:
    "Nice review his costume is awesome just not original "

How so...? 

Soldier Zero
    Soldier Zero

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spideycap

every new superhero is in some way influenced by past superheroes, but id say this looks pretty original. stan the man!

ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ckal
    @ChipBOOM said:

" @ckal: The Stan/BOOM! books all live in the same universe. It's not something that we are outwardly promoting, as we don't want to turn people off at this early stage thinking they will need to buy all the books to figure out the story, which is not the intent of having them in the same universe.  Best, Chip BOOM! "

I hear what you are saying. I think it's smart to build slow and let these new characters develop on their own for a bit first. I'm not familiar with BOOM! characters or the universe (although I'll probably start following these new characters), but I was wondering if at some point we would start to see a few cameos in other characters' stories, or some kind of team up down the line (or even an event farther down).

The idea of a seeing new comic universe building is very cool, especially one with good interesting characters. Also, the aspect that these characters could at some point be interacting with each other down the road is exciting. If you have any info regarding this which you can share that would be much appreciated. If not, thank you for the original response.  

I wish BOOM! all the best, and look forward to what they have in store for us.
    ChipBOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ChipBOOM
    @ckal: Okay, here's the scoop, what we have planned is.... 

Man. That would be telling! 

:P 

Chip 
     BOOM!
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ckal
    @ChipBOOM:  Nah, that's not going to work. I want to hear it all. All the plans. 

Haha yeah, obviously. That's completely understandable, though. Hey you never know it's always worth an ask.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By jakob187
    @ChipBOOM said:

" @ckal: The Stan/BOOM! books all live in the same universe. It's not something that we are outwardly promoting, as we don't want to turn people off at this early stage thinking they will need to buy all the books to figure out the story, which is not the intent of having them in the same universe.  Best, Chip BOOM! "

Wait wait wait... 

So there is a chance that, after this character has been established and whatnot, that The Plutonian or Max Damage or someone could show up in some crossovers...or do you mean that all of Stan's books are their own universe outside of the BOOM! universe?

I like the BOOM! universe of characters (also really enjoyed Seven Psychopaths, but it was way too short for me!...get Sean Phillips to do more stuff when he isn't rockin' it over at Icon with Brubaker), and I would love to see something like that. 

Also, definitely picking this up.  The character design alone had me sold.
    ChipBOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ChipBOOM
    @jakob187: Sorry. Meant the StanBOOM! books by themselves, the three of them. Not with the WaidBOOM! books. But... you never know what the future may hold. Could be cool. 

And... if you are excited about the StanBOOM! books and have never picked up any BOOM! books before, I'd recommend IRREDEEMABLE by Mark Waid and Peter Krause. The first trade is priced at $9.99 and then there are 3 other trades after that... so far.  

And if your tastes run outside the superhero genre, we have a whole ton of other books to check out - Robert E. Howard's HAWKS OF OUTREMER has been a recent favorite of mine. HUNTER'S FORTUNE was a laugh riot. Licensed comics-wise we have 28 DAYS LATER, DARKWING DUCK, and then RESCUE RANGERS coming up. 

I'm pretty proud of our diversity of titles. There is something for everyone at BOOM! 

Best, 

Chip 
    BOOM!
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @ChipBOOM said:
    Man Chip, you just blew one of my interview questions! Thanks for answering though.  

Just so everyone knows, Chip works for BOOM! obviously.
    ChipBOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ChipBOOM
    @G-Man: I don't know if I'd call it "working" per se! :P 

Chip 
    BOOM!
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Icon

Trautmann? I thought his name was suppoed to be Stuart Travers. Is it really Stuart Trautmann in the comic?

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By dr.x

Stan Lee Come Back to DC Comics  where he need to be .

ChipBOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChipBOOM
    @Icon: Everyone thought it would be weird to have a character with the last name of "Travers" and also have a character named THE TRAVELER.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eyz

Looks like a good start! :D

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Is this out yet? 

ChipBOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ChipBOOM
    @SUPER-MAN 23: October 20th... this coming Wednesday!
    The_Hoyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Hoyt

as long as this doesn't turn out like stan lee presents, i'm good haha

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.