Follow

Sinestro

Character » Sinestro appears in 1189 issues.

Once considered the greatest Green Lantern in any sector, Sinestro came to believe that the only way to ensure order in the universe was through the reign of fear, a crime for which the Guardians banished him to Qward. There he created the first yellow power ring and later on founded his own corps, The Sinestro Corps. He has clashed frequently with his former student and protege; Hal Jordan. The relationship between the two is a complicated one, a mixture of both hatred and respect in equal measures.

Sinestro #2

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Sinestro is one of my favorite villains in all of comics, particularly after the work Geoff Johns did in calcifying his character. He’s not evil per se, or at least not evil for the sake of being evil, he simply demands order from a disorderly galaxy and his methods are horrific and extreme. But he’s also got a soft spot for his family and his planet's people, so it should come as no great surprise that Cullen Bunn introduced both as central motivations for him last issue, and continues to build upon them this issue. Soranik is a hostage of the Yellow Lanterns at the start of the issue, but only for the moment, and Sinestro wastes little time in asserting himself as the new/returning leader. What I really love is how evenly Bunn writes Thaal, I don’t think the character ends a single sentence in an exclamation point either in battle or when giving orders. He writes him with an incredible dignity and uprightness that absolutely suits the monstrous dictator, but lends him an amazing credibility. The supporting cast doesn’t get short-shrift either as Arkillo goes down swinging and even Natu may be coming around, in some ways, to her father’s views and teachings. I’m very, very interested in seeing where that last part goes.

Last issue’s review took some umbrage with Dale Eaglesham’s larger-than-life character proportions, especially the usually lithe and slender Sinestro looking more like he’s auditioning for the next Expendables movie while Arkillo looks like he’s going out for Hulk, but this issue actually frames the entire story differently and makes it all make sense, even if unintentionallyy. This is a book being told from Sinestro’s perspective, it’s his take on his own legend, so it Eaglesham’s style makes total sense. Even the level-headed Sinestro would want the saga of his doings to seem hyperreal, everything from his foes to himself just a little exaggerated to make his accomplishments all the greater. Jason Wright handles colors and does an incredible job with everything looking razor-sharp and crystal-clear, again matching the mindset of the title’s fastidious, focused narrator.

The Bad

There are one or two panels and scenes that are unclear in terms of their action and exactly what is happening to which character. These are panels that occur either during or directly after some action, which is really the only place where the book falters. And it's only a slight falter.

The Verdict

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating: writing a compelling villain solo title is one of the most difficult things in all of superhero comics. Making the villain compelling, while still true to its previous stories, without making it an unlikeable sociopath that sounds like its being written by an angry 13 year-old is part of the difficulty, but this book never even strays CLOSE to that territory. Sinestro may be a terrible person, but his motivations are strong and realistic and the character is written with a terrifying charisma that makes his ideas horrifically compelling. His supporting cast is strong as well and there’s a threat in the shadows that seems ready to burst into the light at any moment giving us all plenty to look forward to.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#1  Edited By Extremis

Nice review. I gave it a 9/10 myself.

I love Eaglesham's work. Bunn writes a mean Sinestro, but Dale's art makes this title for me. It's sublime. And those covers, this one and next month's especially....

No Caption Provided

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mysoulz

This issue is really good. This book is enjoyable so far.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

4 stars for me the first issue was better

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

8/10 for me. Love the art despite there being so much yellow on certain pages. I've decided that this will be my lone DC book now that Forever Evil is over. Sinestro is so interesting.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did that look like a Deathstar to anyone else?

manlybanister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Badass.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Definitely deserves the 5 stars! Great book!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.