Follow

Sinestro

Character » Sinestro appears in 1189 issues.

Once considered the greatest Green Lantern in any sector, Sinestro came to believe that the only way to ensure order in the universe was through the reign of fear, a crime for which the Guardians banished him to Qward. There he created the first yellow power ring and later on founded his own corps, The Sinestro Corps. He has clashed frequently with his former student and protege; Hal Jordan. The relationship between the two is a complicated one, a mixture of both hatred and respect in equal measures.

Off My Mind: Should Sinestro Stay A White Lantern?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

You should know by now that Sinestro has given up his yellow power ring. Now he has become a White Lantern? What will this mean for the character? Are we going to see a change in what Sinestro is about? Sinestro was one of the greatest Green Lanterns then he became a "villain" with a yellow ring. As a White Lantern, will that mean good or bad things for the DC Universe? 

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Sinestro surprised some by claiming the power when it felt as if Hal Jordan would be the one to step up. What will happen with the Sinestro Corps now? We'll have to see what Sinestro does with this new power. It will be a nice twist if Sinestro turns out to be the hero of the day and puts an end to Blackest Night rather than Hal.

The real question is, what will Sinestro do after Blackest Night? We have Brightest Day coming. Will that just deal with a lighter look at the DC Universe or will it deal with the rise of a White Lantern Corps? As of now, Sinestro is the only White Lantern. Dove seemed a perfect candidate and perhaps more rings will be created. We have so many different colored Corps running around now so what's one more?

I'm fine with another Lantern Corps. I'm just not sure where I want Sinestro to fit in. Seeing the old stories with him as a Green Lantern and training Hal were interesting. I just think he worked better as a "villain," even if he didn't see himself as one (most bad guys don't really see themselves as bad, they're just "misunderstood"). I'm not a fan of the bad guy turning good. It usually comes across as cheesy and the character starts feeling watered down. I mentioned yesterday about Magneto playing nice with the X-Men but perhaps he's really playing his own game. You can look at past villains such as Venom or Sabretooth that just lost their edge when they sided with the heroes. Heroes are defined by their enemies. A successful hero has to have a great rogues gallery. If you take Sinestro away from Hal and the Green Lanterns, what does that leave them? Then again, maybe wielding the power of the White Lantern will further corrupt Sinestro or simply consume him and he'll "die"...again.

While becoming a White Lantern might be Sinestro's destiny, I would rather see him in yellow. Blackest Night is almost over. We will soon find out what Sinestro's destiny truly is. 

No Caption Provided
    Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bathory1313

IMO I don't see Sinestro holding on to the white lanterns power, he's obsessed with Hal Jordan (mostly hurting him), he's a tyrant, and will do anything to have order.. I don't seeing that power being used that way.. Sinestro can use fear, he's created the Sinestro corps to cause fear across the universe. what I see happening is him abandoning the White entity to search for Parallax. 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NightFang3

I think Sinestro will die after the Brightest Day and redeem himself of past sin's, just like Hal Jordan.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By warlock360
    @G-Man:  Villain is debatable, he just had other ways than the guardians and that, which we found out weren't so wrong it was the guardains themelves that were wrong and didnt let the colors coexist.
    glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By glforthewin
    @NightFang: while that would be cool, future solicitations show that sinestro is alive after blackest night 
    Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Joey Ravn
    @NightFang: Well, he is seen in the cover of GL#53 wearing his Sinetro Corps uniform and yellow ring. His being the first White Lantern was a great plot twist. I think he'll save the day, defeat Nekron and go back to being a "Yellow Lantern".
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrCipher

My color rules, shouldn't the White Lanterns be the evil ones? White is the absolute absence of color. It's devoid of any of the emotions or "power" stored in the color spectrum. (that is the spectrum as it exists in the DCU).
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Since White represents Destiny,  I don't think White Lanterns get to live after serving. Once you fulfill your destiny, in terms of how destinies work, you're supposed to die (I know realistically that isn't the case, but in most narratives it is.). I think Sinestro being a White Lantern is supposed to be his swan song.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mattydeNero

Maybe Geoff Johns has been wanting to do this just so Sinestro can bask in the glory of being somewhat respected as a "lantern" again, only to perish in the end.  If that is the case, then all of this -- to me -- has been a waste.  The DCU needs a Sinestro.  I kind of hope this White Lantern situation will only be for a short while. 
    Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Archetype
    @MrCipher said:
    " My color rules, shouldn't the White Lanterns be the evil ones? White is the absolute absence of color. It's devoid of any of the emotions or "power" stored in the color spectrum. (that is the spectrum as it exists in the DCU). "
    Wrong...in the light spectrum White light contains all the colors of light.So take a white light and shine it through a prism and you will see a rainbow of colors.Of course it is different with paint and "non-light" colors when you mix a lot of paints together it will turn black so it is just the opposite.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it will get shoveled off just like the recent Hal/Parallax transformation. also if the solicitations
    are correct then he definatly won't stay a White Lantern. maybe the only thing i dont like about BN is
    that alot of big things like this happen and are undone only an issue or two later, or less.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey
    @mattydee007 said:
    "Maybe Geoff Johns has been wanting to do this just so Sinestro can bask in the glory of being somewhat respected as a "lantern" again, only to perish in the end.  If that is the case, then all of this -- to me -- has been a waste.  The DCU needs a Sinestro.  I kind of hope this White Lantern situation will only be for a short while.  "

I was gonna say the same thing.  Sinestro is a conflicted character and after the Sinestro Corp war we're seeing that Johns made the green lanterns approving the okay to kill Sinestros long term plan.  It's working so far, all the other colored corps are working so far, and only time will tell Sinestro as a While Lantern will work as well too.  There are enough big villians to step into the role of Sinestro, like Romulus, and Daken did for Wolverine since Sabretooth, Cyber, and Omega Red were killed.  More hero's are being portrayed as deadly and it's fitting well.  No one says a thing about Wolverine killing, and in Marvel's Ultimate Universe all the characters with the exception of Spider-man are ready to kill the villians.  Even Captain America impaled the Mulsim super soldier Abdul Al-Rahman.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Moomin123

I want Sinestro to stay evil as he has done for years. Plus if he leaves, the Sinestro Corps will fall apart, unless someone else takes the role of leader. Still Sinestro is sinister, like his name sort of implies. 
    In my opinion, I think Dove should've absorbed the white light.
    Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bathory1313
    @Moomin123: 

I Agree with you Dove comment she's already seems to be able to tap into the white entity... why not be it's host.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Voidheart said:
    " @G-Man:  Villain is debatable, he just had other ways than the guardians and that, which we found out weren't so wrong it was the guardains themelves that were wrong and didnt let the colors coexist. "
    yeah thats what i was gonna say. Sinestro has always been making moves for a saver universe, and he doesnt even want to be the ruler of the universe like most crazy dictator villains do. He just wants every one safe, and like Batman he thinks fear is the way to keep folks in line.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jordanstine

Being good has its temporary perks, but everyone knows I'm better off as a villain...
    Being good has its temporary perks, but everyone knows I'm better off as a villain...

Sinestro is the Magneto villain type character from the DC Universe.     

Wants to be good, but is really bad.   

It's just a rehashed recycled storyline from the old 80's X-Men storylines that builds up the tension between friends turned enemies turned friends again - Professor X and Magneto; just like the early episodes of Smallville with the same Clark and Lex tension between them; basically wanting to see them stay friends, but deep down you know it's not gonna last.   

Don't worry... Sinestro be returning to the Darkside again very shortly...  

Unless of course, he's actually the Emma Frost for the DC Universe. 

Unless of course I'm Emma Frost.
    Then...  gulp!     
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Theodore

I hope so!

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By KRYPTON

I hate where sinestro says he's the greatest lantern of all. It just sounds weird. Maybe his destiny is to destroy all lanterns and himself. No! not sure though. It's a good guess. I rather see sinestro as a yellow lantern.    

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By KRYPTON

Why does sinestro get to be pure white light? He is one of the most murderous enemies in the galaxy. If anyone should become a white lantern it's obvious. At least I think it is. Super-man or Hal Jordon. The most trust worthy guys in the dc universe.  

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stormultt

ya know it wouldn't surprise me at ALL if he went good. 

darkxman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darkxman123

i like the idea of  Sinestro being consumed by the white lantern ring 

Zejeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zejeck

I think they messed up Blackest Night by giving him these powers- but then again it was completly unexpected and I give DC props for that at least. But God no, I hope this is only temporary and Sinestro goes back to what he does best- being a villian.

RoninKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RoninKane

At least one mystery is solved. The white lanterns do not wield the power of the white light of modesty. 

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything Sinestro does is fine by me. Give him what he wants. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hamz

My guess is Sinestro uses the white light to bring his friend Abin Sur back to life. Then my guess would be Sinestro hands the mantle of White Lantern over to a newly reborn Abin Sur and we'll see Sinestro return to doing what he does all in yellow!

Sinestro isn't inherently evil as he does care for his people, his daughter, his friend Abin Sur and Abin's sister (forgot her name) all of whom he shares a varying level of love for. He seems more the type who has good intentions and goals but a more 'evil' way of obtaining them.

As for Sinestro becoming a White Lantern and not Hal Jordan, I'm happy it turned out that way. Not only does it add a nice twist to the story and give Sinestro some potential character progression. It also takes the limelight over the, frankly, mary-sue that is Hal Jordan. My god is he dull to read.

MorlockMartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MorlockMartyr

Think about it:

FEAR of DEATH.

No living creature wants to die. If we look at the story allegorically, perhaps Sinestro, as the representative of fear, is the perfect candidate to save all life from Nekron (death). Fear, more than any of the other emotions of the spectrum, may be the most powerful and fitting in this context. And anyways, I, for one, love a good plot twist. 

If he does save the universe, does that redeem him for his past? Maybe. Will he stay a White Lantern post-BN? I don't think so.

Zejeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zejeck
    @MorlockMartyr: 

Damn, thats deep :D
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By geraldthesloth

No Caption Provided
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28  Edited By jakob187

Who ever said that White Lanterns were good guys, G-Man?  For all we know, the White Lanterns are gonna f*** things up more than the Guardians of Oa or the Black Lanterns.  I mean, what if White Lanterns have the power to...say...resurrect the dead?  I mean, think of some people that Sinestro could bring back to life that would really stir up some emotions, drama, and problems in the DCU. 

What if a White Lantern has too much light?  I would think that with Sinestro's ego, he would eventually start crushing under the weight of being "perfect", and it could easily lead to a massive catastrophic event. 

I'm not going to try to make assumptions, but the idea that White Lanterns are all good guys is merely that - an assumption and idea.

Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pez85

I see Sinestro's White Lanternship almost on par with that of Magneto's recent reform. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Sinestro in a hero role, although having a name like Sinestro doesn't exactly say "I'm here to save the day". 

Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pez85

I see Sinestro's White Lanternship almost on par with that of Magneto's recent reform. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Sinestro in a hero role, although having a name like Sinestro doesn't exactly say "I'm here to save the day". 

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Yung ANcient One

how about we end it here... what if the White Lanterns power... is to take other lanterns powers... i mean U draw on white paper... and it sucks up all the colors to make a painting...

jus saying... and besides that... we wont have a rainbow lanterns

i mean seriously... were close to getting a Grey and Brown Lanterns

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

I don't like Sinestro being a white lantern. That's like asking Donald Duck for help in a Apokolips war.  

raidenexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raidenexe

He's not staying as a white lantern. If you go to DC universe and check out the upcoming green lantern issues, you can see that he will return to his yellow lantern status.
    jagged glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By jagged glass

I don't think Sinestro is going to be a goody two-shoes as some are thinking. Also I don't believe he chose to become a White Lantern to redeem himself of all the horrible things he's done: He believes he has nothing to atone for other than thinking Abin to have been mentally unstable. In his eyes his way is the only way to bring order to the universe. He's the hero, and as the Green Lantern Corps and the Guardians are fundamentally flawed, it is his mission to put them on the right track. Failing that, he has his own corps. 
    Also the White light of Creation, like the Black power of Death, is not a good or an evil force. A lot of people are immediately jumping to the conclusion that just because something is jet black or bright white, that thing is necessarily bad or good.
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if we are talking worthy superman barry allen hal jordan dove all could be white lanterns 
    my opinion is they need white to wipe out black and if black is death then is white life? 
    does that mean who holds the white light can bring people back to life? 
    it will be interesting to find out
    ILoveComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ILoveComics

Its kinda hard to think of him as a goodguy when he's been such a bad guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.