gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

After the craziness of the Impericon, Silver Surfer sets out to return Dawn Greenwood to her home on Earth. This gives the opportunity for a run in with the Guardians of the Galaxy. I'll admit, it felt a little forced at first to feature the characters on the front page. Space is a big place so what would be the chances of them coming across each other. The reason is explained and it does make some sense. With this giving Dan Slott a chance to write them and Mike Allred a chance to draw them, it's like we get a little bonus.

The crux of issue is the arrival at Greenwood Inn, Dawn's home. It's a simple matter of dropping her off and leaving right away. Slott gives us a chance to see more of Dawn's world and this little corner of the Marvel Universe. It also allows more time for Dawn and Norrin to bond. Slott has given this book a pretty humorous angle and it might be a tiny bit strange to see the Surfer in this setting, but he also gives us some glimpses into who he is. There are some aspects of the Surfer that many never really thought about. Of course it takes a human to humanize him. It's been a while since Norrin's been around normal humans so any time he has with Dawn is bound to have an effect.

I could never miss a comic that Mike Allred illustrated. It honestly brings me joy to see his interpretation of different characters. Laura Allred's colors here are phenomenal as always. The art and color have a way of taking me to a different mindset. This isn't the typical versions that we might be used to and that's just part of what makes it so refreshing.

The inclusion of a couple other guest stars and a mystery that's brewing makes the issue even more exciting.

The Bad

While the Guardians' appearance is explained, there's still a slight feeling of being mislead. They only really appear on three pages. It's a good interaction but doesn't feel like enough to warrant their full appearance on the cover. Even if the cover is pretty groovy.

When we see more of Dawn's home, there's a strong sense of quirkiness. It lightens up the mood but it can feel like a little too much. This isn't to say the book should be dark and brooding but it's still a matter of getting used to it. Who would've thought the Silver Surfer would try to crack jokes?

The Verdict

Dan Slott and Mike Allred's SILVER SURFER isn't your typical comic. They are pumping in some humor, mystery, and suspense while allowing us to see the Surfer in a slightly different fashion. For a character that's been around as long as he has, it's a nice change of pace. Slott is known for injecting his humor into titles. It might feel like a little too much at times but can you really complain over having a smile put on your face? Mike Allred art and Laura Allred's colors are something I never get enough of. There's also a mystery that's building and wait until you see that last page. What the heck is going on? I can't wait for the next issue.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I hope flash venom is permanent and he gets his own comic again

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I really liked this issue, but it did kind of bother me how easily Dawn's family dismissed the Surfer. I mean come on, the SILVER SURFER is standing in your middle of nowhere inn!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Oh my...i tried this series out because I'm a big fan of the allreds and I have loved the writing as well! I don't normally dig slott all that much, but I have really liked this so far. Can't wait for #5.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm loving this book. Also, Allred draws one heck of a suave-looking Doctor Strange.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I hate this book, like literally hate it. There is many books I don't really care for but very few do I actually hate. I think 4 issues is a good enough shake for me so I wont be reading any more which is a huge shame since I LOVE the SIlver Surfer.

Also why was Drax wearing a helmet? He can breath in space.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This was a strange issue, mostly in a good way. The whole thing with the Guardians seemed completely needless other than giving the Allreds an excuse to draw them. No complaints from me if that's the case since I continue to love their designs of Marvel characters. There's definitely some sort of Twilight Zone vibe with whatever's happening in Anchor Bay. Maybe Mat should move there since they aren't into super heroes either.

I don't know I feel like the Allreds' art is what's carrying this book for me. The writing's okay but the tone is not something I think necessarily fits the character. And if they plan on keeping him on Earth for an extended period I'm going to be bummed. Seems like this is more for the sake of Dawn's personal arc than advancing Silver Surfer's character. I'm digging it enough overall to stick with it. This series is just sooo close to being incredible issue to issue but there's something about the pacing that's keeping me from outright loving it.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am even more bemused with this title. It's not working.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like some things about this book but I hate some things too

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Squalleon

I hate this book, like literally hate it. There is many books I don't really care for but very few do I actually hate. I think 4 issues is a good enough shake for me so I wont be reading any more which is a huge shame since I LOVE the SIlver Surfer.

I just have to throw it out there but Waid said that he is so jealous of what Slott is doing with SS.
    I just thought it was a funny coincidence :P

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

I just have to throw it out there but Waid said that he is so jealous of what Slott is doing with SS.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence :P

That doesn't surprise me

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.