Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2388 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfer is a boring character

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Seriously, this guy exists yet people harp on Superman? Not only does Supes actually have a rogues gallery that can challenge him, he has a supporting cast! Surfer has none of that!

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No supporting cast or rogues? Firelord, Airwalker, Nova, Morg, Terrax, Shalla Bal, Nebula, Thanos, GALACTUS, and so many other rich and entertaining characters have apparently escaped your attention.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Surfer is also a side character that shouldn't be compared to the face of DC. i always enjoy the stories that he is in. Not a huge fan of the recent Defenders because I think they had to depower him so much to make him fit on the team, but all his cosmic and classic stories are great. He doesn't need a long list of recurring villains because he doesn't appear in 3-4 ongoings at one time. He can supplement a story very well and help out with the unique large threats and not need to have reasons for a recurring villain to always re-appear.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I hate the surfer. I think he's boring. People say superman is OP and this guy has supes+martianmanhunter kind of power.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Seriously, this guy exists yet people harp on Superman? Not only does Supes actually have a rogues gallery that can challenge him, he has a supporting cast! Surfer has none of that!

@sog7dc said:

I hate the surfer. I think he's boring. People say superman is OP and this guy has supes+martianmanhunter kind of power.

I love you both so hard right now.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@jointron33 said:

@sog7dc said:

I love you both so hard right now.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's a cool character, but he should be used sparingly, or else the intrigue can be quickly replaced with redundancy.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Silver Surfer is from the cosmic side of Marvel though, that's like saying the Guardians from DC are OP.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Hey look, another @jointron33 negative troll thread. You're skating on thin ice this time because this one is close to home.

But basically, you obviously know nothing about the Silver Surfer. And if you don't like it don't read it.

On another note, this better be the last thread like this I see from you. Enough already.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 SC  Moderator

Interest, disinterest, matters of boredom can be subjective. The reasons I find Silver Surfer interesting is because he sacrificed himself to save his world, and his love. Yet he also finds himself in a position where he must make the incredibly difficult decision to have his master, a force of the universe feed and consume. Tough place to be when your decision ends with the premature end of a planet or the imbalance of all reality.

Not all adversity is physical, not all stories are about conflict, Surfer as a character explores themes of isolation, ethics, morality, sacrifice, mortality, balance and burden. Silver Surfer has many antagonists, and he has the potential to have one on every planet he has been to and has been on, alongside characters like Mephisto, Terrax, Morg, Ego, Annihilus, Galactus, Doctor Doom, Thanos, Reptyl, Tenebrous, Aegis, Red Shift, and a lot more. Plus races like the Kree and Skrulls. On top of that Surfer can also be an antagonist himself for characters like Thor and Cable and Hulk. Thats because of the characters depth and versatility character wise as well as his popularity.

I am a fan of space exploration and the greater Universe, so Silver Surfer has so much potential to me and this has been explored with him a few times, but the thing about space, the cosmos and the Universe is its always ripe for more stories, because its the biggest thing we can think of and imagine and thus millions upon millions of galaxies, worlds, aliens, cultures and societies to explore and think about and explore.

This is just me though, why I don't find him boring, peoples preferences are different so its all good! ^_^

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Silver Surfer is a pacifist with the powers of a God doomed to roam the cosmos selecting planets to be fed to a God, how is that boring?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 SC  Moderator

Oh and I forget to mention his supporting cast, which is the Defenders, the Heralds of Galactus, Shalla-Bal, the Infinity Watch, various cosmic super beings, Frankie Raye, Alicia masters, the Fantastic Four, Warlock, the Eternals.

Also I don't harp on Superman either, I actually find Silver Surfer and Superman very similar, would Superman sacrifice himself for the greater good even at the expense of personal loss? I think so, and if Silver Surfer was always as powerful as he is since birth and was sent to Earth to be raised by the Kents, how much different would he be than Superman? Its just a different of setting and circumstance and publishing company that divides them. Both characters are selfless ethical moral characters that try to do their best in a given situation but are often isolated because of their power and alienness to humanity yet... both are often recognized as possessing traits that are considered the best of humanity regardless of their raw power.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@maccyd: I've always considered it to be like this:

Gaurdians=galactus=Odin>>>>>>>surfer, lanterns etc.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Silver Surfer is a very good character, that is why he gets his own title

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperheroStation/news/?a=84285

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer is the epitome of drama. He's has conflict written all over him.

1. He's a pacifist yet he wields tremendous power and is constantly challenged simply because he has power.

2. He really just wants to explore and learn new things but can't enjoy it because his time as Galactus' herald left him hated throughout the universe.

3. Galactus is both his greatest enemy and father figure.

4. His one true love is forever taken from him because of his vow to Galactus.

5. The cosmos is his supporting character. That's what makes Silver Surfer books work. His books work much like Star Trek in that the excitement of what's around the corner can be quite intriguing.

As for the Superman comparison; I never felt Superman was overpowered. I always felt he was overpowered to be a terrestrial character. I always felt Superman should be a more cosmic character.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this is very subjective, i love surfer as a character (btw you wanna complain about OP character,try Solar). He is actually pretty relatable.

Then again i dont dislike OP character, i love those stories :p

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
    captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the above poster. It's all subjective. There are several characters I can think of more powerful than Surfer (The Specter and Dr Strange to a name a few). What makes a character interesting is his assigned storyteller. Specter is immensely powerful, and a stretch more so than the Surfer...but his stuff is fun to read. More than anything else, I think writing makes or breaks any character.

Besides, discerning battle forum junkies know how to see through PIS.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Surfer is a little boring i will admit

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i do agree with jloneblackheart there really nothing boring about silver surfer he has great back story cool powers i only wish he have a better wrtier and stop depowerd him so much.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CheeseSticks

Another butthurt Superman fan. What's happening with his fans? Stop crying because Superman isn't the most popular character in the industry.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how is dr strange more powerful then surfer? did he get a power-up? other wise strange is weak compare to silver surfer.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on the writer the Surfer is a great character and a explorer going out and looking to learn new things and see new things. He is all of the Star trek people wrapped into one being. Boldly go where nobody has been before. To see and do and be places and walk through the crowded cities of alien worlds and meet new people. Then blow the world up lol. oooops I mean really deal with wars and hatred or love or life as it would be in those cultures. Who would not wish to just take off to the stars and walk among a alien race of people with them unaware you were even there. I mean that is what the surfer does. Well that and more.

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DRDOOMSDAY390

((to be honest superman is boring and this comeing from a superman fan, now as for silver surfer? no he not boring im sorry you feel that way bye))

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer is a pacifist with the powers of a God doomed to roam the cosmos selecting planets to be fed to a God, how is that boring?

THIS!!! Though I would prefer a herald that doesn't use a surfboard in the cosmos LOL!!!

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By micahparadise

Awesome summary about the Silver Surfer @night_thrasher and @sc. He is one of my alltime top ten favorite comic characters.

His nobility, His naive innocence, his vast cosmic power, his gentle demeanor and his relationship with Galactus makes Silver Surfer and exceptional loveable character.

No Caption Provided

He is my alltime favorite cosmic level character.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, who cares. Some people like certain characters, others don't.

There's no need to make a thread showcasing your discontent.

Jmarshmallow

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome summary about the Silver Surfer @night_thrasher and @sc. He is one of my alltime top ten favorite comic characters.

His nobility, His naive innocence, his vast cosmic power, his gentle demeanor and his relationship with Galactus makes Silver Surfer and exceptional loveable character.

No Caption Provided

He is my alltime favorite cosmic level character.

yes this is my favorite all time character and wow nice artwork.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah sort of

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is boring as hell . He is a massive jobber

Dark Cloud™

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has their own opinion. "He is boring" is not a fact. I keep seeing Silver Surfer being compared to Superman, when they are completely different characters, with completely different power-sets (though there is similarities). Superman predominately takes place on Earth, occasionally visiting Space; whereas Silver Surfer predominately scours the Universe, occasionally visiting Earth. There are more stories to come of Space than there are of Earth, and Surfer has them in spades. He's not boring, he's far from it.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kute

surfer isn't the most interesting character, but his lot in life is certainly alot more interesting than superman. now THATS a boring character. read one super book, read em all

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
    MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you people expect when Marvel need the character to stay within the confines of their superhero universe? The kind of stories the surfer should be in can't be written in continuity with the marvel universe.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Everyone has their own opinion. "He is boring" is not a fact. I keep seeing Silver Surfer being compared to Superman, when they are completely different characters, with completely different power-sets (though there is similarities). Superman predominately takes place on Earth, occasionally visiting Space; whereas Silver Surfer predominately scours the Universe, occasionally visiting Earth. There are more stories to come of Space than there are of Earth, and Surfer has them in spades. He's not boring, he's far from it.

This guys got it! Bravo!

I like superman and I like Surfer, they are apples and pears, you cant compare them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.