Follow

Siege

Story arc »

Norman Osborn's Dark Reign crumbles in the Siege of Asgard.

Dual Review: Siege #1

• 62 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Riezner

Looks good! Gonna have to check it out. Im liking the new video segment too!

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hero vs. villian

Qite franky, it didn't suck as much as I thought it would, but no way is it worth the $3.99 cover price. Copiel's artwork kicked major ass, which was awesome!

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr. Detfink

I liked the conversation with the two of you guys...

It reads like a typical first issue. It didn't help that out of the 22 pages, 6 were re-printed including showing how Norman and Loki cooked up a reason to invade Asgard. Never mind the battle we never see.  I'm a little disappointed for $4.

Three more issues still have me curious, which Avenger dies in issue #2?

Donna Mary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Donna Mary

The video doesn't work on Firefox

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bandito

Was G-Man drinking bourbon in that mug?  I'm pretty sure he's drunk.  I've seen drunk podcasts and this looks a lot like a drunk podcast.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I really like the duel review. It reminds me of the discussion that was done for Blackest Night.  Though, I thought Babs was a little hard to hear at times.

I find the literal check list a bit presumptuous. They even have little boxes next to each title. As if they expect someone to actually buy every single title and check them off with that list.

I have a theory about why Osborn would think it's a good idea to attack Asgard, but I want to avoid some overcomplicated analysis. Long story short. I think that Osborn believes that the American people need to be reminded how much they need him. He sees that they need a 'reminder'. If a lot of people have to die. He thinks that is an 'acceptable loss' for what he sees as the greater good. At least the greater good as a psychopath sees it. Think that sounds too off base?

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Korg

Hopefully they pull out some crazy sh-t in the next issue, because that's the only way I'm going to buy it. Insane predictability and sloppy continuity should not wear a $4 price tag. How you give this a 4/5 is beyond me, especially considering how confused you both are during your own review of the issue.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    @Bandito said:
    " Was G-Man drinking bourbon in that mug?  I'm pretty sure he's drunk.  I've seen drunk podcasts and this looks a lot like a drunk podcast. "
    It's begging to be problem isn't it?
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bandito
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    "I think that Osborn believes that the American people need to be reminded how much they need him. He sees that they need a 'reminder'. If a lot of people have to die. He thinks that is an 'acceptable loss' for what he sees as the greater good. At least the greater good as a psychopath sees it. Think that sounds too off base? "
    No, I think it sounds allegorical.
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Grendel

" And why did the same d-listers from the Hood posse who incited the Volstagg incident (which was captured on film), later show up to help out Osborn on camera?'

" Because it’s a stupid, stupid comic."

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Korg
    @Grendel said:
    " " And why did the same d-listers from the Hood posse who incited the Volstagg incident (which was captured on film), later show up to help out Osborn on camera?'  " Because it’s a stupid, stupid comic." "
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

Bendis - Master of plot holes 

Siege - .... let-down.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

The only thing I didn't like was the Hulk preview, I like the book don't get me wrong, it just felt like it souldn't of been here.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By DMC

Osborn doesn't want to takeover the world...at least not yet. I think Siege the Cabal made it clear that right now it's all about getting rid of Asgard. What we see in issue #1 are signs he's slowly losing his grip since he's not listening to the President anymore, just the goblin in his head.....and Loki : )  You can see it in his face on that first panal with Victoria Hand.

I think the sucess of Siege is gonna depend heavily on the tie-ins as they will fill in the gaps missing in the story. There's more coverage on the Soldier Field incident in Siege Embedded..  

I don't mind the pacing but many of the scenes were not very sharp. The Soldier Field incident would have had more impact if some of the panals actually depicted that there were thousands of people caught in the blast. Lets see some depictions of death as well as destruction. The scene where he convinces his Avengers to invade Asgard was also too short. That scene could have been better if Bendis added that dialogue from the back of the book.

Like G-man I wasn't impressed with the ending either, it didn't leave anything for me to "chew on", nothing to get me excited or eager to read the next issue. Bendis has used that trick twice already.   

I'm sure Siege will get better but this issue was disappointing.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Korg said:
    " @Grendel said:
    " " And why did the same d-listers from the Hood posse who incited the Volstagg incident (which was captured on film), later show up to help out Osborn on camera?'  " Because it’s a stupid, stupid comic." "
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that. "
    paying attention pays. Loki says that they disapeared, leaving Vols alone in a massively decimated field. the cameras are all poined twords the game, and all the people who may have been looking up in that direction are dead. 
     this was actually epic to me. I loved seeing Thor smash in like that. Im just pissed that they really went out of their way to avoid the Sentry/Thor fight.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jefprice

Everything that happened in this issue has been building for awhile. I felt like it was everything I wanted, we had a full size story with TONS of relevant bonus stuff like the transcripts which really did help explain things. Personally it's my fav first issue to an event since CW, as long as it doesn't have classic Miller Bull Crap in it, I'm digging it....And the chick is a concubine which is typical of the Norse.  

Norm is crazy so doing something like this.......is normal for him.  

Hulk shouldn't even be brought up, it's never in line with anything. Lol that book makes little since ever

The iron man stuff will be explained, you need to remember everything from the next and last 2 books is taking place in like 1 day, from what I understand Iron Man book 1 of this arc is taking place right before this, but you're right it's kinda funky gman 

I talked to Tom not long ago and Gman don;t worry, the line wide story stuff will be over in just a few months.  

I loved it, would have given it a 5 if it had another few pages. but as it was 4.5, good read, had me flipping through pages faster then any other book for a loooong time

Avatar image for surrender_monkey
    Surrender Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Surrender Monkey

Say "Team-Up !" !!

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18  Edited By timrothsays

The last page is awfully pretentious

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I hope this is the Last EVENT... and ahhh... Norman does have a plan... u cant find out on the 1st issue... tho... it will be slowly shown to us...

i think

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Oh and

ARES IS THE $#!%

Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

Where are the majority of incarcerated criminals from?  ASGARD!  hahahahahahahahahaha!

Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

i like how BABS started gettin' all existential at the end of this! ;)

on a serious note, instead of hatin' on Marvel & DC for trying to streamline their universes into a more organic & fluid web of creativity, shouldn't we just read & revel in the aspects we appreciate?  SURE, event after event after EVENT may seem like overkill at times...  & they are MOST certainly taxin' our collective coin cases...  BUT, no one is holding any hellfire imbued sawed-off shotguns to your heads forcing u to by the comics!  pick up what u need.  drop what u cant carry.  the name of the game is survival & these are our rations people!!!

ahem, that being said, i have a feeling most fans would miss these events if comics went back to existing in their own little worlds with stories that ultimately go nowhere fast...  maybe u will have an opportunity to test this notion soon enough...  somehow, i doubt it though...  :)

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#23  Edited By HaloKing343

I agree. There are too many event driven books lately. It's sort of making comic reading... harder? I dunno. Maybe that doesn't make any sense, but I feel like if you miss out on anything anymore then you miss a big chunk of information. 

As for this book, I wasn't crazy about the art. You guys said that you liked it, which is valid, but it was, in my opinion, just okay. I guess I'm spoiled or something, too used to Detective Comics or whatever. But anyway, the art was fine, not great, but just fine. 

Norman's pretty wild. I like seeing him go out and just being an idiot with stuff. I think Marvel's been making him too "smart" lately, and he really isn't that smart. I mean, yeah, he is a genious and stuff but frankly, he's crazy now so he's not smart anymore. He should be more crazy... less smart, and I think that's what we get here. 

But like I said, events are not my favorite things. Don't get me wrong. Civil War was awsome. Secret Invasion, well that was meh'. Dark Reign was nice, just because it had a lot of potential and unlike some of the other events, I think the writers used that potential really well. But I really just want a good self contained story. I don't care what happens in the greater Marvel Universe if I can just get a solid story. That's what makes books like Captain America so good (well, with the exception of the recent "Reborn" issues, which have a lot to do with Dark Reign). Ed Brubaker's Captain America is very self contained, usually not relying on the events in the greater Marvel Universe to tell the story. 

That's just my opinion. Oh and one more thing, I almost forgot! There should be more Thor! Afterall, this is a book about Asgardians so where is Thor?

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DMC
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    "I think that Osborn believes that the American people need to be reminded how much they need him. He sees that they need a 'reminder'. If a lot of people have to die. He thinks that is an 'acceptable loss' for what he sees as the greater good. At least the greater good as a psychopath sees it. Think that sounds too off base? "

That's what the goblin in his head said to him more or less in the Siege the Cabal. The line that stands out to me in that conversation is. 

"It will take years for the leaders of the world to come to grips with what you have accomplished" 
    MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#25  Edited By MichaeltheFly

So does this mean you two will team-up for the beginning of every major event, I hope thats what it means.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So who died in Hulk #18--who's funeral was that.  General Ross's?? 

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Awesome start!   Can't wait for the next. 
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By drawme

I liked following your conversation. Great review.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#29  Edited By HaloKing343

From what I can tell, this seems like a love/hate book.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30  Edited By The_Martian

I'd give this a 2.5 out of 5. Most of the is for the art.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By goldenkey

They blew up Soldier Field?  Were the Packers playing us then?
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crazed_h3ro

I've been waiting for this review in like...forever LOL XD. Thanks for another AWESOME Dule review Babs and G-man  ^_^

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Korg
    @Grim said:

"paying attention pays. Loki says that they disapeared, leaving Vols alone in a massively decimated field. the cameras are all poined twords the game, and all the people who may have been looking up in that direction are dead."

What does this have to do with Osborn using D-listers to take down Thor, instead of say... I don't know, the Avengers he brought with him? Thor one-shots the Sentry, and then Osborn and the U-Foes take out Thor. The U-Foes aren't even part of The Hood's outfit. They are an Initiative team. It's piss-poor writing. 
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#34  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @crazed h3ro: So are you saying you'd like more of these?

@goldenkey: We can hope?
    Avatar image for the_ragged_jester
    the Ragged Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think G-Man´s voice changed...

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By King Quisling

This issue rooted my hatred of Sentry.... Oh and regrading how Steve is dressed. I think he was just in that outfit so people could recognize him. Oliver Coipel's Steve doesn't "reek" Steve Rogers, you know?

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By goldenkey
    @G-Man said:
    " @crazed h3ro: So are you saying you'd like more of these?

@goldenkey: We can hope? "

Actually they should blow lambeu when they're playing the Vikings, then we can kill 2 divisional teams and take out Farve with them
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38  Edited By sora_thekey

I like this dual review.... Too I haven't read Siege because I have to literally go to another country to get my comics... and I am not going to get to go to the Comic store until Monday....

So... I will give my input until Monday!

Still great REVIEW... at least you didn't make me not buy Siege.. like how G-Man did on Jackpot!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hamz

Only problem I had with this issue was it felt very rushed. We went from the 'incident' to immediately launching the attack on Asgard and it all happened in the space of a few pages. For something as big as launching an attack on what is essentially the home of an entire pantheon of Norse Gods and deity figures, you'd think a little more planning or suspense and build up would have occurred. 

Other than the odd issue with the mics and sound dropping and raising, this was a great video. Would be good to see more videos with the pair of you on the couch discussing comics. Just sort out the microphones so you both have equal levels of clear voice instead of it going up and down a little :)

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Korg said:

" @Grim said:

"paying attention pays. Loki says that they disapeared, leaving Vols alone in a massively decimated field. the cameras are all poined twords the game, and all the people who may have been looking up in that direction are dead."

What does this have to do with Osborn using D-listers to take down Thor, instead of say... I don't know, the Avengers he brought with him? Thor one-shots the Sentry, and then Osborn and the U-Foes take out Thor. The U-Foes aren't even part of The Hood's outfit. They are an Initiative team. It's piss-poor writing.  "

if the last 4 years have taught me anything, its that even Marvels D-listers can drop a mainstream hero ( the Avengers, almost entirely made up of folks who up until they joined the Avengers where C-D listers). They said they needed someone with power, and apparently the U-Foes have the power to blow the hell out of Thor. And if you notice, the Avenger's themselves are all pussies. They would have psyched themselves out fighting thor. Whatever is up with the U-Foes, they dont seem to have a problem getting right up into Thor's personal bubble and kicking him while he's down, while the Avenger's didnt even want to go to Kansas unless Thor wasnt there.

as for them not being in Hood's Outfit, idk what to tell you. Maybe thats more Marvel's lack of communication as a whole, or maybe its part of the story...
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Korg
    @Grim said:

" apparently the U-Foes have the power to blow the hell out of Thor."

They don't. Unless you are arguing that each member of the U-Foes is almost as powerful as the Sentry (possibly more powerful). Volstagg deflected their combined attacks in the beginning of the book without being scathed. The same people then take out Thor? Yeah, that's just bad writing.

@Grim

said:

"And if you notice, the Avenger's themselves are all pussies."

No, they aren't. They are simply reasonable. If you read Siege #1, you'll see Bullseye explain why they don't want to assault Asgard. 

@Grim

said:

" as for them not being in Hood's Outfit, idk what to tell you. "

You don't have to tell me anything, I have already identified this as a continuity error.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I just read this...I liked it. I am hopefull that it will really develope. 

*fingers crossed
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Korg: your assuming soooo very much based off of soooo little ACTUAL fact. 
     in Norman and Loki's conversation in the beginning, they simply say they need someone from Hoods gang with power. From there almost anything is possible, including that the U-Foe's may have been offered/traded/available to Hood through OSborn, or even that the U-Foe's we see arent the U-Foes at all, but Rather others in Hoods gang being made to look like the U-Foe's via someone like Mirage who is on Hoods gang according to this here Comicvine (like i said, idk much about the Hoods gang, but acording to Wikipieda they where recruited into his gang back in Civil War AS WELL as being an Initiative Team).  Im just saying not allot is obvious in the first issue of any event, so maybe #1 isnt the best time to go pointing out plot holes when the info is soooo limited to what was "almost said" on page 4.

Also, form what i Understand about the U-Foes (i.e. what i've been reading in the last 7 minutes from a handful of online sources) they are in fact powerful enough to do major damage to big heroes. I keep reading that Vector, X-ray, and Iron Clad are all capable of dropping Hulk,and would have several times over if not for the fact that when they are constantly portrayed as the "stupid villians" who brag and underestimate until they loose fights that would have been easy wins. But no where am i reading that they dont have potential. OH, and we dont know how hurt Vols was in the first issue. He wasnt unsacthed (he was bleeding and torn up rather badly), and he did get KNOCKED into the field in the first place with a blast from only ONE of the U-Foes. He Survived becuase they werent trying to kill him. Once the U-Foes blew up the feild, they left. The point was for it to look like he blew up the field, not to kill him and have the whole world know someone else did it. and to close this subject, we dont know that Thor is actually down. Sure that was a pretty big boom, but for all we know first page Issue #2 is gonna show Thor knocking all of them back and going head to head with Ares or Sentry or something.
     man, you guys always call me judgmental, but here you are just as guilty. Like i said, your assuming a whole lot on very little actual info.

and Bullseye didnt explain much of anything. He said he didnt wana, NOrman said they would be square, and he stopped talking. No one but Ares and Sentry has shown anything other than fear of Thor. I.e. if they had been tasked with fighting Thor they probably would have freaked out and messed up. These Avenger's have never just shown outright Bravery (except for Ares and Sentry). Most of what they have done what they did becuase either it was obviously within their powers (thats just easy), becuase it was thrust upon them and tehy had to fight (thats survival), or becuase Norman Osborn owns them and they fear he will destroy them if they dont (thats being more afraid of certain death than probable death). These Avengers are pussies. I dont think any of them would have gone to Asgard to pick this fight if they weren't going with the full brunt of the Initiative, and the idea of getting out from underneath the big scary thumb of Norman Osborn.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Korg
    @Grim said:
    " @Korg: man, you guys always call me judgmental"
    This has simply never happened. 

@Grim said:
    " @Korg: Bullseye didnt explain much of anything. He said he didnt wana, NOrman said they would be square, and he stopped talking. "
    You should read the transcript in the back of the issue.

No Caption Provided
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crazed_h3ro
    @G-Man: yes, yes i would  ^_^
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

15 pages of comic, off-panel fights, and the destruction of Soldier Field. You know, a number of Chicago fans thanked Bendis for putting the team out of their misery. Haha! Osborn is doomed to fail, and messing with Asgard is not going to end pretty. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I feel the same way Babs does.I feel like I already know what's going to happen from having read this.

Jessica Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jessica Baby

I agree with G Man, I really want this whole Big Event thing to die down and go back to normal. I mean I wanna pick up a comic, and read a comic about the character I chose to read about :(
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I enjoyed it, can't really say anything better that hasn't already been said above, Though i must say that i did feel that the whole retaliation did seem to kick off way to fast.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Grendel
    @Grim said:
    " @Korg said:
    " @Grendel said:
    I thought I was the only one who noticed that. "
    paying attention pays. Loki says that they disapeared, leaving Vols alone in a massively decimated field. the cameras are all poined twords the game, and all the people who may have been looking up in that direction are dead.   this was actually epic to me. I loved seeing Thor smash in like that. Im just pissed that they really went out of their way to avoid the Sentry/Thor fight. "
    It still defies logic. They were purposely chosen to incite Volstagg because they were known criminals.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.