zack_freeman's S.H.I.E.L.D. #6 - Chapter Six: The Master's Hand review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: S.H.I.E.L.D. #6

This is a really hard book to describe. The Shield's machinations shape the history of the Marvel at numerous points throughout history... simultaneously.

The Good

Conceptually, I dig how the conflict between Newten and da Vinci comes down to difference in ideologies about fate and destiny. Hickman gives you some real, meaty philosophical questions to chew on as Weave and Strain dazzle you with some unabashed visual spectacle. Look at any panel from this and it's clear it's a cut from a very different cloth than the vast majority of comics.

The Bad

While it's an impressive conceit to have the super-thinkers of history mixing their business up with the super-men of Marvel continuity, it's honestly a little harder to keep a straight face when somebody like Nicola Tesla gets re-imagined as some kind of prototypical iron man. Also,  due to the labyrinthine complexity, this is a series that would've really been better off as an OGN instead of something serialized by the issue.

The Verdict - 4/5

This is unquestionably one of the brainiest, most high-concept reads you'll find on any shelf today. While it runs the risk of taking the alternate history a little too seriously at times, I'd rather deal with those kind of drawbacks in a comic over reading yet another title that won't aspire to anything more than just giving you what you've seen a thousand times before. S.H.I.E.L.D. will definitely go down as one the most unique storylines to ever come out from Marvel.