Follow

Sherlock Holmes

Character » Sherlock Holmes appears in 792 issues.

The world's most famous detective.

Robert Downey Jr Is In For Sherlock Holmes Sequel

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided

Robert Downey Jr is the talk of the town right now. He's got Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes. Earlier today, G-Man reported on RDJ dropping out of Cowboys and Aliens because of scheduling issues. Entertainment Weekly reported that said scheduling issue was actually the Sherlock Holmes sequel. 

a source inside the production tells EW.com that the star has a scheduling conflict with a Sherlock Holmes sequel. That film has not yet been greenlit by Warner Bros., but it is being fast-tracked based on the success of the first film. (Sherlock’s worldwide gross is fast approaching $300 million.) Warner Bros. commissioned a script by Kieran and Michele Mulroney back in September and is now locking down the cast for a June start date, exactly the time when Cowboys & Aliens is set to begin principal photography.

So it looks like the film is almost ready to go even after the RDJ gay remarks last week which Andrea Plunket, the person who owns the Holmes character, was dipleased about because it wasn't in spirit with the books. G-Man reported that here. The film has made money, and RDJ has a schedule clear, so it looks like we're going to get another Holmes film. I admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of the film right after I stepped out of the theater, but the more and more I think about it, I really loved the film. It had a unique charm to it, and it really kept in the same tone as the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm very excited for this film to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray, and the promise of a sequel is more exciting.

Do you guys think that RDJ made the right decision dropping from Cowboys and Aliens to do Sherlock Holmes?
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DMC

I saw Sherlock Holmes on New Years Eve. It was a  lot better than I thought it would be based on the T.V. commercials.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By AngelFrost
    Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr have to kiss in the sequal  (:
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Erik

I just know that Andrea Plunket will try to yank rights to the movie when she sees that Sherlock Holmes is being depicted as a Starbucks drinker. 

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrCipher

Yes. I liked the movie and I think it's a smart move as far as longevity is concerned. There is no reason why he cannot play Sherlock Holmes as a middle-aged or older man. The character does not require that he stay youthful the way Tony Stark does.
    This was a smart move indeed for him. I can see the potential for 3 or more sequels.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Oh, I'm very pleased to hear that the next movie is not too far way. Though I am really looking forward to the BlueRay DVD on the first. I really enjoyed it. They really showcased an intelligent hero. Robert Downey Jr. really brought the quirkiness to Holmes that I liked.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moomin123

I've not seen the first one yet. I'm going to at the weekend, can't wait!
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Loved the first movie, great movie, Downey was great. And I'll be looking forward to the sequel.

Riezner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Riezner

Hell yes.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mbecks14

I loved it! it was brilliantly done! i will absolutely return for a sequel.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I didn't see THAT coming. Obviously he was gonna come back for another one, it was a great movie. He was brilliant.
    The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Hottness

Thats awesome!!!
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn

Robert Downey Jr. is putting in Major Work these past few years... Big Ups

I would love to see him in a film with Johnny Depp in the future... I bet that would be a lot of fun... 

margotlefaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By margotlefaye

What I don't understand is, why people are still reporting that Plunket owns the rights when the estate of Doyle's daughter, Dame Jean Conan Doyle, Lady Bromet, has won numerous court cases upholding that estate's ownership of the rights Dame Jean recaptured in 1976.  Even the database at Cornell University, which tracks copyrignt ownership of major works, lists Dame Jean's estate, not Plunket.   Other than that...the first movie was fantastic.  The acting was first-rate, the script was intelligent and it was lovely to see Watson not being played as a bumbling fool.  In the original canon, he was a war veteran and very far from stupid, and in this film you get a sense of him as being as much of an equal as the incomperable Holmes can have.  While, Watson and "the woman," Irene Adler, in which role Rachel McAdams was perfect.  Love the idea that a second film is being fast tracked.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NightFang3

Happy for Sherlock Holmes 2, Sad for Cowboys and Aliens.

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bandito

This was about the most boring movie I've seen since... well, Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars.  This wasn't a mystery, it was a predictable, formulaic cops-chasing-crooks movie with pretty pedestrian action sequences.  None of the jokes worked and the only on-screen chemistry was the sexual tension between Downey, Jr. and Law.

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By The WeatherMan

SOunds awesome! Loved the movie! Downey is officially my favorite actor now.
    Aion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aion

Yay!!!!!!!! I love him besides mr.lutz.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By DH69

yay

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Media_Master

Good decision.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Yay but Nay... Sherlock Holmes to me was a Great movie u see... Once... no sequel... sequel can never... ever... be as good as the 1st one... but meh... who knows i may be wrong... and i jus wanna see Moriati...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.