Follow

Sherlock Holmes

Character » Sherlock Holmes appears in 792 issues.

The world's most famous detective.

Is Sherlock Holmes really in the public domain?

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

#1  Edited By TronHammer

If Sherlock Holmes is really in the public domain why haven't more publishers tried to make use of this well known character and add him to their existing stable of characters?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By arnoldoaad

@HammerTron:

He Is

which is why he has been used in DC meeting Batman and then in Wildstorm meeting Elijah Snow, and he was kind of important in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TronHammer

Ah! I must have missed those comic books. In that case I would be very interesting if Sherlock Holmes joined the Justice League. I'm sure he'd fit right in being a very popular and well known character.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By arnoldoaad

@HammerTron said:

Ah! I must have missed those comic books. In that case I would be very interesting if Sherlock Holmes joined the Justice League. I'm sure he'd fit right in being a very popular and well known character.

that would be very pointless

thats the point of Batman, in fact Holmes was one of the 3 main inspirations for Batman, the other 2 were The Shadow and Zorro

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TronHammer

It would certainly be interesting, but I doubt DC would do that because Sherlock Holmes doesn't have a 'super hero' feel to him. DC, or any other publisher, could make use of the Sherlock Holmes character to fill out their universe with well known characters. It would be interesting.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By arnoldoaad

@HammerTron said:

It would certainly be interesting, but I doubt DC would do that because Sherlock Holmes doesn't have a 'super hero' feel to him. DC, or any other publisher, could make use of the Sherlock Holmes character to fill out their universe with well known characters. It would be interesting.

If Sherlock existed in the DCU then i would love to see certain ties to Batman in any ways

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TronHammer

It just wouldn't be fun if Sherlock Holmes were to be stuck in the past and merely used as an inspiration for Batman. However, if he were to exist in present day continuity it would add a man out of time dimension that really isn't part of the character. It would be tought to make it work.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By arnoldoaad

@HammerTron said:

It just wouldn't be fun if Sherlock Holmes were to be stuck in the past and merely used as an inspiration for Batman. However, if he were to exist in present day continuity it would add a man out of time dimension that really isn't part of the character. It would be tought to make it work.

I was thinking more of the Planetary approach

in Planetary, the main Character Elijah Snow is immortal and when he was young he meets an old Sherlock Holmes and he teaches him all that he knows, so maybe Elijah can teach Batman, but there is also the fact that Elijah is property of Warren Ellis and John Cassidy so thta might never happen

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TronHammer

That's certainly an interesting idea. Did that happen in a comic book?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By arnoldoaad

@HammerTron said:

That's certainly an interesting idea. Did that happen in a comic book?

yeah

Planetary #13

No Caption Provided

He also meet Dracula, use his powers to freeze him and then he kick him in the crotch

No Caption Provided

Is the best thing that Ellis ever wrote

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TronHammer

That looks interesting. I'll look for it. Thank you.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By tupiaz

I feel it would be rather stupid to incorporate Sherlock Holmes in the DC universe. First of all he is a London icon, not an US icon. Secondly he does fit in the universe of super heroes. Holmes belongs in a world around the late 19th century. It would make more sense to put him in the world of Van Helsing. Just because a big fictional figure is public domain doesn’t mean you should use it.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By arnoldoaad

@tupiaz said:

I feel it would be rather stupid to incorporate Sherlock Holmes in the DC universe. First of all he is a London icon, not an US icon.

He is a World Icon, not just from London or England

he is like Superman after renouncing citizenship of US in AC 900, XD

Secondly he does fit in the universe of super heroes. Holmes belongs in a world around the late 19th century. It would make more sense to put him in the world of Van Helsing. Just because a big fictional figure is public domain doesn’t mean you should use it.

there is nothing bad about it if its done tastefully like in the Planetary case or in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tupiaz

Sherlock Holmes lives in London at Baker Street (221B that is) moving him from here would be like taking Batman away from Gotham. I haven't read League of Extraordinary but it takes place in late 19th century, so far I understand League of Extraordinary is a total different from DC or Marvel universe it is more like a Van Helsing universe.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By arnoldoaad

@tupiaz said:

Sherlock Holmes lives in London at Baker Street (221B that is) moving him from here would be like taking Batman away from Gotham. I haven't read League of Extraordinary but it takes place in late 19th century, so far I understand League of Extraordinary is a total different from DC or Marvel universe it is more like a Van Helsing universe.

I never said anything about moving him from there, and not moving him doesnt meant that it cant be used in a good way, like a Booster Gold comic for example

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tupiaz

Just because you feel he belongs in a super hero universe doesn’t make it correct. If you think he belongs in DC/Marvel/Super hero universe you better give some good reason for this else you are just giving your feelings for it without giving any real reasons. For me it is rather pointless for reason already made.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By arnoldoaad

@tupiaz said:

Just because you feel he belongs in a super hero universe doesn’t make it correct. If you think he belongs in DC/Marvel/Super hero universe you better give some good reason for this else you are just giving your feelings for it without giving any real reasons. For me it is rather pointless for reason already made.

I never said he belongs in a superhero universe, i just pointed out that crossovers have indeed already happen and in some cases have been interesting, so seeing it a gain, might indeed be interesting

No Caption Provided

Also, even thought Holmes was never the first superhero or anything like that he was a great inspiration for other great heroes like Batman, and in the other hand Moriarty is indeed considerate as the first Supervillain

Holmes meeting Batman is no more rare than Batman meeting Doc Savage, which happen 2 years ago

Avatar image for quirky_anecdotes
    quirky_anecdotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By quirky_anecdotes

Is tupiaz insane? Holmes is a world icon. Just loo at the success of the Holmes Films with Robert Downey JR. as Holmes (RDJ is an american.) and the success of Elementary on CBS?

Seriously you sound like an Xenophobic Fool when you talk like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.