undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue, after a standalone adventure of the wackiest possible proportions, Jennifer Walters was introduced to her next client: the newly aged and depowered Captain America. This issue we get to see Jenn’s shocked reaction to Cap’s new situation as well as the introduction to his unexpected legal woes stretching all the way back to Los Angeles in the 1940s. Charles Soule remains in fighting form, weaving humor and intrigue in equal parts, though leaning far more toward the former. It’s also interesting to note that this is about as legal jargon-y as this book has gotten and worth pointing out that Charles Soule’s original occupation was as a lawyer (which he can still practice, unless I’m mistaken) and while I’m sure not everything in the comic is 100% accurate (that would be absolutely interminably boring and also likely require a $7.99 price point to account for the length), there’s a certain feeling of accuracy and legitimacy to the issue's legal goings-on. It’s also a nice touch that, even aged to well beyond 90, Cap still radiates not only dignity but charisma and even a hint of his down-home good looks, much to the delight of Patsy Walker, Angie Huang and even Hei Hei.

Javier Pulido is on linework and while this issue is less surreal than his previous ones have been, there’s still plenty of that Silver-Age spark to make his visual style feel right at home. The characters are all defined with thick lines and fine details that make each stand out from the other and while there’s next-to-no action, the visuals make each panel interesting to behold on their own just fine. A huge part of that is Muntsa Vicente who uses a very basic color palette about as well as anyone I can think of. The characters and backgrounds are all bright and full of beautiful bombast giving even more excitement to what could have been a very visually dull issue.

The Bad

This issue dances around what the case against Cap is to a frustrating degree. The characters obviously know it, Shulkie pulls an all-nighter looking the case over, but we have no clue and therefore are unsure what the stakes are.

The Verdict

If last issue was a delightful return to form, this one is the book settling back in for the long-haul. It’s the first in an ongoing arc and Jenn’s back in full-time lawyer-mode, which is what this book does best. The book definitely has serious moments and takes its subject matter with the sincerity it so richly deserves, we get still more shorthand examples of the kind of person Cap is, even without his powers, but it never loses sight of making the reader smile nor having fun with its core cast.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Novemberx2

the legal jargon has pretty inaccurate through out the series.

Soule is literally doing one of the oldest legal trick, use language that lay people won't understand to make it seems harder then it is and you as the solicitor/barrister know what your doing, because you need to make the client think they need your service. I wasn't fooled by it, but then I'm in the profession, as result I found it a lot less enjoyable, neither really succeeding as either superhero comic or a legal drama. 3/5 the book would be better taking a lesson from Dan slott (oh god I'm regarding dan slott) approach to legal stuff: Gloss over it or make it silly.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Soule is literally doing one of the oldest legal trick, use language that lay people won't understand to make it seems harder then it is and you as the solicitor/barrister know what your doing, because you need to make the client think they need your service. I wasn't fooled by it, but then I'm in the profession, as result I found it a lot less enjoyable, neither really succeeding as either superhero comic or a legal drama. 3/5 the book would be better taking a lesson from Dan slott (oh god I'm regarding dan slott) approach to legal stuff: Gloss over it or make it silly.

lol

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The art is awful, I would read it since it's getting so much praise but I can't get past the artwork. It's like listening on just because it has the best lyrics despite the music being the worst ever.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WheatStalker

If you're not reading it, you don't get to judge the art, simple. A lot of us who do pay money for it, are enjoying the Pulido/Vicente art effect, in this arc and the last one, especially. Including Soule and Wada, all four contributors are giving me what I want and expect from She-Hulk.

And if you up there are actually "in the profession," a Nigerian prince will be contacting you shortly.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darthfury78

@wheatstalker: I would nothing more than to see the She-Hulk's alter-ego Jennifer Walters(human form) as Peter Parker business legal adviser, as well as his close friend after hours once a month...

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheatstalker: ha ha no i've just got my degree in law and working on getting my PHD in it.

but also I am your long lost cousin and my father pasted away and he wants you his nephew to have estate, please send your bank details to Obviouslyacon@conmail.co.uk

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That's weird since Soule is a lawyer himself.

BB

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ILLO_29

@ironangelx: The art is not the greatest and I'm not a huge fan of it. That being said it works for this book. It's a quirky and fun book and the art reflects that really well. Now would I want Javier Pulido drawing other stuff, probably not.

If you really want to see some bad art check out issues 5 and 6 that crap is almost nausea inducing.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheatstalker: actually I dropped this book at issue 6 because of the art. My 7 year old niece makes better art work.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ILLO_29

@dman1366: I was ready too, but then I found out he was only doing those two issues. If the penciler on 5 and 6 had continued this series would have been gone.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I have a question. So Cap is being accused of murder right? Didn't someone state in the issue that murder had a statue of limitations? That cant be right.

The art is awful, I would read it since it's getting so much praise but I can't get past the artwork. It's like listening on just because it has the best lyrics despite the music being the worst ever.

This should have been said three months ago. The art then was horrible. I actually like this art... to an extent.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

still finishing up the last arc.

but stoked on reading #7&8 of this series.

Charles Soule is doin' an amazing job.

i do too, wish Wada did all the art for this book. cover n interior. oh how that would be a dream!

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdp180: I think it was wrongful death, not murder which may have a statute.

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourite issue of the series so far I think.

Reading most of the comments above, art sure is a subjective thing, as I love Javier Pulido's work. It totally makes the book for me.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

would read if it had better art

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#16  Edited By Teerack

I really wish this was a crossover story and it wasn't a case about any hero. It's just sorta bull that the first time Matt and Jen meet in the court room Jen is defending Cap, so either Matt loses or he wins and looks like a jerk.

@wheatstalker said:

If you're not reading it, you don't get to judge the art, simple. A lot of us who do pay money for it, are enjoying the Pulido/Vicente art effect, in this arc and the last one, especially. Including Soule and Wada, all four contributors are giving me what I want and expect from She-Hulk.

Anyone who has eyes can judge art. I've been reading this books since the start and I want the art to change mostly because it's going to end up getting the book canceled since the majority of people don't like it and don't buy the book because of it.

Avatar image for randolphdefreese1
    randolphdefreese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the cover art for this book is always great,Shulky looks hot.the inside art is pure crap,why does she have a round face?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I read this review, happy it matched up with my take on this issue. I don't want to start an unnecessary debate over what is "wrong" or "right" in terms of what happens in presenting a case to court, but I would strongly disagree with the opinion this book is lacking in that regard. Keep in mind different jurisdictions have their own set of rules and if anything, the lingo thrown about in this issue was just enough to have me smirking in recognition but at the same time, didn't insult perhaps a less knowledgeable reader by getting obnoxiously technical. I'd say, genuinely, Soule did a great job here. This title feels more and more like sitcom, and in a good way.

The art really does it for me, the story telling distinct and elaborate with minimum execution. It's too bad there aren't more people picking up this book. And that ending! Should be interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.