undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Javier Pulido is BACK! And with him comes the tone of a throwback, Silver-Age comic with modern sensibilities and mentalities, bringing us the best of both worlds. Part of that is, of course, Charles Soule crafting a story absurd enough to deserve visuals like this, but still organic enough to fit into a modern setting, and Soule absolutely succeeds here. A new upstart duo have perfected a shrink ray, at least THEY think it's perfect, but their company is owned 50/50, and half of that hundred doesn’t want to sell to the prospective buyer. He’s gone so far as to shrink himself and hide out, forcing his partner to hire Jenn to not only negotiate a contract, but use her Hulk powers to help find his partner. Hellcat comes with, as does expert shrinker Hank Pym, leading to some of the best comedy of the issue. We also get some great character development as Patty Walker’s insecurities and Shulkie's prejudices and even arrogance get challenged in what is a legitimately great, tense exchange. That this is in the midst of so many moments of amazing comedy, yet still works completely in the issue, is a compliment to writer and artists.

Pulido’s return to linework is a joy to see, especially as we’re now dealing with things like scale and perspective, as I predicted, and we get great use of that. The stakes have shrunk along with the protagonists: the fate of the world isn’t being decided and while lives hang in the balance, there’s the distinct impression that things will work out, which means the art actually has to work quite a bit harder. The fact that it DOES, and that it gives the reader the impression that this was unearthed from the Marvel vaults, is a testament to the great work of Pulido. With as much as he does, I’d be remiss to not mention colorist Muntsa Vicente, who brings a bright, whimsical sense of wonder to Pulido’s linework. A simple backyard has scarcely looked this impressive, nor have the tiny and giant denizens of it. We even get a great, if brief, fight scene with some ordinarily mundane attackers. The return of these visuals is a delight.

The Bad

For better or worse: this is a highly standalone issue. It’s a good jumping-on point, but that’s by virtue of it neither coming nor going in terms of the overall plot of the book, and with so many questions unanswered, there’s a slight twinge of frustration to that.

The Verdict

While I’d love to have a few more questions answered, or a few more mysteries solved, it’s hard for me to turn down a straight-up, standalone story about unstable shrinking methods. There’s a grinning glee that permeates this entire issue and it’s bereft of irony or sardonic detachment. This is, very simply, an incredibly fun issue of an incredibly fun book. It doesn't apologize for that, and it brings on artistic talent to make sure that the tone is communicated in every panel. Fun books are one thing, but this feels like a fun book that was unearthed from a time capsule AND turned out to be vastly ahead of its time.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellcat! :D

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jdp180

Oh thank god Javier is back. That other artist should go back to kindergarten.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the previous arc is over and done. Seems like the Blue File thing was a six-issue trade story, no more. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last page WHAT

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this series has been amazing!! Love this issue a lot! I wonder if sales will be too low for it to survive?

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They both need to go. I just want a decent artist on the book... why is this too much to ask for? Good news is... apparently I can get a job drawing for Marvel Comics now.

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue is just pure fun. So glad that Javier Pulido is back...its not the same book without him!

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By kantrip

Yay! Javier Pulido is back! Fun issue and while lacking some Angie Huang wierdness, still a great read on a short stack week for me.z

@wheatstalker I get the feeling that the Blue File has been closed for now but it has been hinted that things are still unresolved there and Angie has some information that Jennifer didn't want to hear. Hopefully the art doesn't change when we go back to review it again.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#9  Edited By Teerack

Hell cat is becoming pretty awesome. I love how Hank just kept saying "I've got this" through out this issue lol. The art still sucks a lot, but at least it's not as bad as it was the last few issue. I could draw better then that when I was in the 8th grade lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This issue hit all the markers for me. The interaction between Hell-Cat and She-Hulk was one of the best I have come across in building not just both characters as friends and business associates, but also individually. I just wanted to hug She-Hulk for getting it, haha!

Having Pulido back after whateverthatwas last issue has taught me to shut up about any negativity I might have had about him. Like a couple of other books I've been enjoying, his art fits this title and can I just mention how great it is to find more and more mention of colourists' work on comics? I know it's a recently decided thing to give them a seat at the table in terms of creative team recognizance, but seriously, this issue is a shining example of why it's so deserved.

I cannot wait to find out what is going on with Jenn's potential new client.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.