Follow

She-Hulk

Character » She-Hulk appears in 3187 issues.

After being shot by mobsters, Jennifer Walter received a life-saving blood transfusion from her cousin Bruce Banner, aka The Hulk. Due to Banner's irradiated blood, Jennifer gained the ability to transform into the Sensational She-Hulk. She is a recurring member of the Avengers.

But how could that be?

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Lantern Prime

Fail

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Ok Ms.Invisible.Here we go.

First of all,Let me say..I am a big fan of She-Hulk.I love her comic..I even read the Secret Invasion issues which weren't very good.I think the reason She-Hulk is getting cancelled is because Marvel has trouble finding relevance in her comics.She has seemed lately to go the way of Deadpool where she is being taken less seriously because there are alot of inside jokes and things of that nature as of late in her comics.Most of what she did during Secret Invasion was irrelevant..and she even made appearances in other comics where her presence failed to have any significance.

I agree..She-Hulk is an A list superhero..but it's not like they are canceling her and she will never be back.Before Cable & Deadpool..Deadpool was cancelled.His comics failed to provide any interest time after time.They tried experimenting with the character and Cable & Deadpool just luckily was the gimmick that worked.Marvel refused to let the character go.Now..She-Hulk will be a part of The Hulk Family comics.I saw her on the cover,she is also a member of the Defenders so she isn't going anywhere.It's possible that Marvel is just looking for a more relevant outlook on her storyline and then they will bring her back.She did outsell quite a few comics but she isn't so high up on the sales chart that canning her would do any real harm to Marvel.They have another even and alot of new comics coming our way.

I understand how you feel about her cancellation.It seems all the comics that are getting canned as of late are actually good comics.It's possible though She-Hulk was canned for the Hulk Family title because..there are alot of books out right now involving Hulk and Hulk related characters.I have no doubt that she will be back on you pull list again some time in the future though.If they brought Moon Knight back during Civil War even despite the fact his comics never really sold well..I see no reason Jen won't have her own comic again.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    MidKnight said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    ".I understand how you feel about her cancellation.It seems all the comics that are getting canned as of late are actually good comics.It's possible though She-Hulk was canned for the Hulk Family title because..there are alot of books out right now involving Hulk and Hulk related characters.I have no doubt that she will be back on you pull list again some time in the future though.If they brought Moon Knight back during Civil War even despite the fact his comics never really sold well..I see no reason Jen won't have her own comic again."
    If that's truly the case then I beg you to explain to my why the hell there are so many X-Men Titles?  Every time I go to the comic shop there is a full section of JUST X-men and X-men related characters' books.  And why the hell is Wolverine in EVERYTHING?  He's a good character but Christ.  They should just call it the freaking X-Men Universe."
    The difference between X-titles and everyone else's spin-offs is X-Titles all deal with different things.Mutants are a large population.It's the same reason we have so many Avengers titles.There are alot of heroes and alot of mutants and we need books to cover all the stories.Wolverine is everything because he's a cash cow.He sells comics.She-Hulk is nowhere near the popularity of Wolverine.
    She-Hulk really isn't much different than Hulk.Someone does something wrong..she gets pissed and beats the crap out them..and even more so now,her comic doesn't have any relevance to anything..it's completely random.She beats the crap out of someone every other comic.I know that is what She-Hulk does but what is the difference between that and what Hulk is doing.I think Marvel is looking for a way to re-invent her..maybe make her more relevant and a part of things that make an impact on the Marvel U.

Think about Moon Knight & Ghost Rider..She-Hulk outsold them both yet they are still afloat.Their storylines have major things happening in them though.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By King_Saturn
    Damn... they are Cancelling She Hulk ? Wow... her Comics were Good... this really Sucks Big Bawls
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5  Edited By No_Name_
    Ms. Invisible said:

I really hope  you're back for a while.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By The_Martian

This sucks, She-Hulk is one of my favorite series.

Starleafgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Starleafgirl

I've never read She-Hulk, but if what you says is true about sales being good (and I see you've got the sites to back it up), that shouldn't matter. I always liked She-Hulk (and Spider-Girl), so it's a shame they're canning them. Isn't Marvel still trying to branch out, to get more readers in demographics like the female demographic? Doesn't seem like this would be a smart move for them.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Martian
    Starleafgirl said:
    "I've never read She-Hulk, but if what you says is true about sales being good (and I see you've got the sites to back it up), that shouldn't matter. I always liked She-Hulk (and Spider-Girl), so it's a shame they're canning them. Isn't Marvel still trying to branch out, to get more readers in demographics like the female demographic? Doesn't seem like this would be a smart move for them."
    Well Spider-Woman is supposed to be getting her own title soon, but I doubt that is any reason to cancel the book.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Meeeeeeeh

Avatar image for the_emerald_knight
    The Emerald Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the series, but I got bored.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Martian

I loved She-Hulk, it was so much fun

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

Spider-Girl, and now She-Hulk!  I liked both series.  While David's stint has been interesting, I preferred Slott's run.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Ms. Invisible
    Blue_Shield said:
    "Spider-Girl, and now She-Hulk!  I liked both series.  While David's stint has been interesting, I preferred Slott's run."
    David was just getting her back on track. And then cancelled!
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By John Valentine

It's a shame that they are cancelling a decent book, yet they keep on publishing so many Wolverine solos.........
    I felt the same way when New X-Men was cancelled.

At least X-Factor is still going :).

Does anyone know which other titles are being cancelled?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Spider-Girl deserved to be cancelled.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Ms. Invisible said:
    "So I thought maybe it was sales. But the sales charts tell me otherwise. In August 2008, She-Hulk ranked 62nd amongst all both Marvel and DC sales, including other publishers (Dark Horse, IDW etc.). Just to put it in perspective, She-Hulk had out-sold these titles:
    • Wonder Woman (of all titiles!)
    • Captain Britain
    • Punisher
    • Moonknight
    • Immortal Iron Fist
    • Ghost Rider (you know, it amazes me that they made a movie about Ghost Rider and no She-Hulk movie yet.)
    • Ultimate Fantastic Four

And then in September 2008:
    • Ms. Marvel
    • Marvel Apes
    • Iron Man: Golden Avenger
    • Amazing Spider-Man
    • Genext
    • Moonknight
    • Punisher
    • Ghost Rider

"

First of all i am a fan of the title, and i really think it deserves better, but your logic is a way off. Comparing sales for the two months where she had a Secret Invasion tie-in isn't fair since it gets an artificial boost which doesn't reflect the regular sales numbers.
    The truth is that She-Hulk normally sells in the 20-22K range, while Ms Marvel normally sells 24-25K, Moon Knight 26-28K, Iron Fist 27-30K and so on. Actually all titles you listed outperforms her, and Amazing Spider-Man is in the 70K range, so i don't know where you got that from.

Here's the sales numbers for the last year:

10/07 She-Hulk #22 - 35,568 (+30.7%)
    11/07 She-Hulk #23 - 24,956 (-29.8%)
    12/07 She-Hulk #24 - 23,585 ( -5.5%)
    01/08 She-Hulk #25 - 23,283 ( -1.3%)
    02/08 She-Hulk #26 - 22,181 ( -4.7%)
    03/08 She-Hulk #27 - 21,421 ( -3.4%)
    04/08 She-Hulk #28 - 20,843 ( -2.7%)
    05/08 She-Hulk #29 - 20,678 ( -0.8%)
    06/08 She-Hulk #30 - 21,016 ( +1.6%)
    07/08 She-Hulk #31 - 39,079 (+85.9%)(Secret Invasion tie-in)
    08/08 She-Hulk #32 - 38,069 ( -2.6%)(Secret Invasion tie-in)
    09/08 She-Hulk #33 - 32,862 (-13.7%)(Secret Invasion tie-in)
    10/08 She-Hulk #34 - 22,763 (-30.7%)

As you can see it's back to normal levels after the SI tie-in. Also there are only  three lower selling regular titles (New Exiles, New Warriors, Spider-Girl) and they are also canceled.
    Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ms. Invisible

I think I meant Amazing Spider-Girl. Sorry about that.

Hard to say, seeing as she's getting cancelled and we won't be able to look at the sales a little further, so I don't have much to stand on. But I will say that during October, she did outsell the New Exiles, Wolverine First Class, Age of Sentry, Marvel Apes, Moonknight, Runaways etc.

Perhaps for an A-list character she wasn't selling enough compared to the B-list-ish titles.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Ms. Invisible said:
    "I think I meant Amazing Spider-Girl. Sorry about that.

Hard to say, seeing as she's getting cancelled and we won't be able to look at the sales a little further, so I don't have much to stand on. But I will say that during October, she did outsell the New Exiles, Wolverine First Class, Age of Sentry, Marvel Apes, Moonknight, Runaways etc.

Perhaps for an A-list character she wasn't selling enough compared to the B-list-ish titles.
    "
    Most of the things you credit She-Hulk without out-selling,just started.New Exiles is getting cancelled,Wolverine:First Class and Age of the Sentry have old existed for a few months.Sentry has been out less time and I believe it's only a mini-series,Moon Knight & Runaways just relaunched not to long ago.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By G'bandit

the movies are hand pick some by the marvel people and others by directors or people that have passion for them and buy the rights and stuff.. besides after Hulk #1 I doubted anyone wold of want another green human on screen, at that time.. yet they were wrong and the incredible hulk new movie kick ass..

Also I don't think the character, as good as it is, has the caliber to star in a movie, in a team she would be great though :)

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Superkitty  Online

On the other side of the equation, was She-Hulk that expensive to "make"? The paper used to make the comic should cost about the same, so were the artists involved getting paid much more?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I've never read She-Hulk so I never got the appeal of a female version of a character I cant stand.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "I've never read She-Hulk so I never got the appeal of a female version of a character I cant stand.
    Her personality makes the comic.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Vance Astro said:
    "Her personality makes the comic."
    Or "made" as the case may be.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gambler said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Her personality makes the comic."
    Or "made" as the case may be.
    "
    =[
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Nighthunter
    Gambler said:
    "I've never read She-Hulk so I never got the appeal of a female version of a character I cant stand.
    "

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By SUNMAN

She will be back with her own comic. Just not anytime soon

Chubbytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chubbytoad

I just discovered that there will be a new She-Hulk comic starting in April. Its NOT Jennifer Walters, though. I've been reading She-hulk since she came out in 1980 and I really want to see Jennifer in a monthly book. Does anyone know if that will happen? 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.